Thread: Price change for Principes

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Default Price change for Principes

Ok, so i've decided that I am not too fond of how Hastati and Principes are so similiar in cost that there is no point to purchasing Hastati other then roleplay reasons.

That is why I ask what should I do to better reflect the differences between the two? Some may say that they are the same except for some equipment difference but you have to consider the realistic economic impact the more wealthy Principe being away from home.

So,how much should I raise the cost/upkeep? I want to keep the price not only in consideration to the Hastati but also to other factions troops (If the Principes are not as good as "dadada" then they shouldnt cost the same)
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Default Re: Price change for Principes

Quote Originally Posted by TruePraetorian
    there is no point to purchasing Hastati other then roleplay reasons
    I don't think so. AFAIK Spear soldiers vs Infantry has a -4 atack value, also I believe the sword have a faster attack rate than the spear.
    I always play with a half stack: General, 2 hastati, 2 principes, 1 triarii and the rest are auxiliarii. The hastati are always in the first line, holding the sword infantry and the auxiliarii engage the rest of the enemy first line. When the hastatii get tired, principes charge against the center of the enemy line, the tired troops usually drop like flies and run away after a few casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by TruePraetorian
    you have to consider the realistic economic impact the more wealthy Principe being away from home.
    If you think about it, every time a principe it's recruited, maybe another older one will be disbanded and return home.

It just a thought
    Last edited by dimb; 04-16-2009 at 02:31.

Quote Originally Posted by dimb View Post
    I don't think so. AFAIK Spear soldiers vs Infantry has a -4 atack value, also I believe the sword have a faster attack rate than the spear.
    This is true for the Camillan era but not the Polybian as both Hastati and Principes are equipped with swords.

And as to your battle strategy that is precisely what I do. That is why I was looking to increase the cost of the Principe to make it "more fair" economy wise. It's just one of those things that bugs me..I would rather see the Principe 200mnai more or so so when I am in that "tight" situation with limited mnai I have to make a decision. Just a minor thought.

But yeah I can change it all fine by myself I just have no clue on how much to up it by and was kind of waiting for an EB team member to give some suggestions, considering if I do it I might not make it realistic.
    The Gods envy us.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Just a note: the Camillan Principes, though they carry spears, do not suffer a -4 attack against sword infantry. See this thread for details.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Alright I raised the price on Camillan and Polybian principes by 200 mani each. Also, I raised the upkeep accordingly.

Sound good to anyone else? Really hope i'm not unbaclancing my game by doing this..
    The Gods envy us.

Yeah, I don't think that making things more difficult for the Romani is likely to unbalance things much... -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    Yeah, I don't think that making things more difficult for the Romani is likely to unbalance things much... -M
    Never thought of it like that. Good point
    The Gods envy us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TruePraetorian View Post
    Alright I raised the price on Camillan and Polybian principes by 200 mani each. Also, I raised the upkeep accordingly.

Sound good to anyone else? Really hope i'm not unbaclancing my game by doing this..
    The Ai romans are weak and never expand much anyway... Unless you boarder them, then they start creating the biggest warmachine ever

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

But better still to give them an extra attack or two... then you can raise their cost 200-300 minai

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Regarding the OP: recall, though, that the wealthier Principes-class soldiers would also have been better able to afford having someone "sub" for them while they were away fighting... not sure how exactly they handled it, but for the sake of comparision when a Viking Age Scandinavian peasant went aborad (to raid or trade, made no difference) he left his wife and the most trusted senior household slave run the farm in his absence. Worked well enough. Similarly Medieval knights and the like left their estates to a senesalch and female family members when they left for faraway battlefields (and might end up spending years as a hostage waiting for friends and relatives scrape together ransom money...).
    *shrug*
    But I'm no expert on the details of Republican Roman socioeconomic arrangements.

Anyway, the stat and price similarity between particularly the Camillian Hastati and Principes is a bit of "what can you do?" thing, because that's the result you get with the given unit parameters when employing the formulas and values used to compute EB unit stats and prices. I should know, I've done those calculations often enough...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    The Ai romans are weak and never expand much anyway... Unless you boarder them, then they start creating the biggest warmachine ever
    Still easy to kill though... i haven't played since Empire came out but i remember playing as the Epirotes, building a phalanx army with light support troops, landing it in Taras and marching all the way up the Italian peninsula with it in a war that lasted over 10 years. The Romans simply threw themselves on the tips of my phalanx.

It was fun to see it develop. At firs i was fighting armies of heavy infantry, and as the years went on and i had their ports blockaded Rorarii began playing a bigger and bigger role in their armies. By the time i reached Rome after 4 or so years fighting, i besieged the empty city with around a third of my army while the rest camped north and held off any relief attempts. I besieged the city for about 2 years, asking for protectorate status every turn because i didn't want to eliminate Rome, just defeat them, but eventually i just took the city.

After that, Rome controlled Arretium, Ariminum and the 4 provinces north. It was all over for them by that point. They still sent armies my way, but they consisted of Rorari and Lugoae, which fare very, very very poorly in frontal assaults against levy phalanxes and phalangitai with 2 and 3 units of silver experience.

I did eventually reduce the Romans to Patavium and they finally accepted a ceasefire. I left them alone for 2 years or so and then decided to put them out of their misery.

I couldn't even count how many were killed in the campaign. They literally sent 2 or 3 armies at me every single turn for the entirety of the campaign, the dead must have been well over 30,000, considering i play on huge and each army was a full stack of support units but with no main units for them to support.