Thread: Interesting Crash - Thoughts?

Default Interesting Crash - Thoughts?

I don't believe this is in Win7/64 issue - more likely has to do with a Java update notice that popped up just as I was saving but ----

apparently, my game now crashes every time I hit the year end button in 192 summer. I tried the usual things: did something different then saved again, changed the save name, closed the game and opened, rebooted the PC, did a restore, etc. I can go back to earlier saves and it works fine until I get to 192 summer. Well, the Greeks have a shew in win - by far the strongest power with some 36 provinces, but it would be nice to finish (and I sure hope my next faction doesn't end at 192 summer!). Any thoughts?

EDIT: Another interesting bloop happened a few years prior: I built an army in Sparta (including three armored hoplites and a Spartan hoplite) that I sailed to the Bruti capital and took it. Two turns later, my army disappeared and a SPQR flag flew from the city. There was no mention of a bribe and, if there was one, it had to been extraordinarily large! But, here's the thing - the units inside were shown as a PARTHIAN leader and an additional 10 peasants (not units - 10 men total in eastern peasant garb). When a nearby army assaulted the town, the leader was now a 35-stong Juli family member. WTF???

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Interesting Crash - Thoughts?

All of that is about as strange as it gets If I had to guess, I'd say a corrupted game file Have you tried a clean reinstall?
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    All of that is about as strange as it gets If I had to guess, I'd say a corrupted game file Have you tried a clean reinstall?
    Thought about it but haven't done it. I guess I'll have to.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

I formed a habit to always wait a couple of minutes for the java pop-up before lauching the game. This issue is not exactly relevant but I just wanted to say you don't always get a notification if your armies are bribed. It happend in my current parthian campaign: early in the game a seleucid bastard relieved me of 5 horse archers and I only noticed when I couldn't find the army on the map anymore but noticed that diplomat bastard hanging around in the provice.

I've played many campaigns past 192 BC and did not encouter this problem. Not with the greeks though, that one I played a long time ago on E/E and it ended in 200 BC. The only recurring crash that I know of takes place when the enemy sallies forth and you destroy the army. Sometimes, whatever option you pick for the newly conquered city, the game will crash. It appears that taking your time after the battle averts this. After the battle, wait for the victory theme to play out and give it a couple of seconds before exiting. Once the prompt for occupy/enslave/exterminate pops up, give it some time again before choosing your option. I've never had it crashing anymore in these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    I formed a habit to always wait a couple of minutes for the java pop-up before lauching the game. This issue is not exactly relevant but I just wanted to say you don't always get a notification if your armies are bribed. It happend in my current parthian campaign: early in the game a seleucid bastard relieved me of 5 horse archers and I only noticed when I couldn't find the army on the map anymore but noticed that diplomat bastard hanging around in the provice.

I've played many campaigns past 192 BC and did not encouter this problem. Not with the greeks though, that one I played a long time ago on E/E and it ended in 200 BC. The only recurring crash that I know of takes place when the enemy sallies forth and you destroy the army. Sometimes, whatever option you pick for the newly conquered city, the game will crash. It appears that taking your time after the battle averts this. After the battle, wait for the victory theme to play out and give it a couple of seconds before exiting. Once the prompt for occupy/enslave/exterminate pops up, give it some time again before choosing your option. I've never had it crashing anymore in these circumstances.
    Yeah, first time I couldn't get past that date. It crashes when you hit the "year end" button, though not after a siege. I've reloaded the game but haven't tested it yet.

EDIT: reloading the game didn't help - still crashes at 192 summer. But ------ this time I have an error message. I'm going to research it but just in case someone here has run into this, here it is:

Runtime error!

R6025

Pure virtual function call

This is Greek to me.
    Last edited by LordK9; 05-01-2015 at 08:15.

reloading the game didn't help - still crashes at 192 summer
    Did you start a new game after reinstalling, or try to use an older save-game? An older game-save might still contain corrupted files. A runtime error means that a problem occurred when trying to execute a file. More specifically regarding r6025:

This error occurs when your application indirectly calls a pure virtual member function in a context where a call to the function is not valid.
    From the MS runtime error library. Still sounds like a corrupted or missing file

My suggestion is a 'clean' install...completely remove ALL folders and files pertaining to RTW from your HD, and reinstall from scratch. Then begin a new game.
    High Plains Drifter

It works fine with a new game - actually started one with Gaul right away and now a new one post reloading it with Spain but, yes, I did use the old save - no other way to test it really. I tried it with the oldest save and it worked up to that year; so strange. Haven't got to that magic year though with a clean game - it'll be a while.

I made it past the crash date. Guess it's only a problem in that one Greek game. I'll likely never really know what happened but it appears to be a fluke.

Great that it's finally working properly! My money would still be on a corrupted file for your troubles
    High Plains Drifter