Thread: Artillery Fire at Will

Default Artillery Fire at Will

Is there anyway to tell Arty units to fire at will, but not to rotate guns to acquire a new target?

It's a challenge micromanage Arty units once the AI closes with your lines, and too often, leaving fire at will mode on means that a unit of Artillery will acquire a new target on your flanks and unload cannister shot down your line. If you end up needing to manage skirmisers or calvary on your flanks it's near impossible to manage both in real time (such as when the AI sends a unit of melee troops after your missle cav -- they will eventually be cornered at the edge of the map even with skirmish mode on.)

Marquis Roland mentioned on another thread that you can avoid this by targetting the ground -- I've experimented with this and it's better, but still, targetting the ground is something that needs to be micromanaged if you want a decent number of kills.

What I'd really like is to tell Artillery to fire at will, but not to rotate their guns. Is there no way to do this?

While I'm at it, has anyone noticed that when telling a cannon to attack an infantry unit with canister shot, the cannon seems to aim for the sides of the infantry formation, and not the center?

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Artillery Fire at Will

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Gonzo View Post
    While I'm at it, has anyone noticed that when telling a cannon to attack an infantry unit with canister shot, the cannon seems to aim for the sides of the infantry formation, and not the center?
    Yep, noticed that to.
    Just this day there were a huge number of enemy millitia units right in front of my two 12lb foot cannons. I tell them to focus there cannister shot at the closest unit in the middle thinking that it would result in a horrouble amount of carnage. Unfortunatly the cannon crews aimed to the side of the stationarry target and got almost no kills. It was actually hard to hit that few men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Gonzo View Post
    Is there anyway to tell Arty units to fire at will, but not to rotate guns to acquire a new target?

It's a challenge micromanage Arty units once the AI closes with your lines, and too often, leaving fire at will mode on means that a unit of Artillery will acquire a new target on your flanks and unload cannister shot down your line. If you end up needing to manage skirmisers or calvary on your flanks it's near impossible to manage both in real time (such as when the AI sends a unit of melee troops after your missle cav -- they will eventually be cornered at the edge of the map even with skirmish mode on.)

Marquis Roland mentioned on another thread that you can avoid this by targetting the ground -- I've experimented with this and it's better, but still, targetting the ground is something that needs to be micromanaged if you want a decent number of kills.

What I'd really like is to tell Artillery to fire at will, but not to rotate their guns. Is there no way to do this?

If a developer would read this suggestion and implement it, Id be overjoyed.

Simply put artillery will currently not only turn to fire through your line of other units, but a center gun will destroy the one to the right or the left of the same battery....

Simply put, in no way this could ever be considered a well thought out feature.

In fact I usually opt to entrench armies (no movemment for two turns/wait for sally at siege) just so I can put the artillery in a barricade so it operates properly without babysitting.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Yes artillery is still a very buggy thing.

I have seen howitzers destroy units and never select a new target…just fire on the same spot. At other times it targets the nearest unit.

There are still issues with limbering and unlimbering. Things are still odd when you try to target specifics areas, locations, structures, and units.

There is also a path finding issue with it. Units should not walk through deployed artillery but they seem to prefer doing that.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Yep, noticed that to.
    Just this day there were a huge number of enemy millitia units right in front of my two 12lb foot cannons. I tell them to focus there cannister shot at the closest unit in the middle thinking that it would result in a horrouble amount of carnage. Unfortunatly the cannon crews aimed to the side of the stationarry target and got almost no kills. It was actually hard to hit that few men.
    For me, even micro'ing doesn't solve the issue. A barrage of cannister shot from a 3 gun battery theoretically has the spread to annihilate a single (3 to 4 rank deep) unit. Currently, the most you can hope for is inflicting casualties up to 1/3 the unit size -unless they are formed in a column.

Batteries loaded with cannister shot should IMO, when targeting a specific unit, "share" their fire over the formation, rather than (as now) aiming all guns at the same point (as pointed out, the corner of the unit). The first shot kills, the following 2 fly over corpses.

The best i can achieve while micro-ing, and if your guns fire at different intervals, is to spread the fire out by clicking a different target before each gun fires. Can't do that for more than a unit at a time though really and what causes delays in firing is subject to more factors than i think are controlable (rotation for aiming is the only manageable factor, possibly).

Well this would jsut be more micro but I was thinking, what happens when you aim at the ground with canister? I was wondering if clicking on the ground right in front of the target as you're about to fire would cause more casualties. I'm a howitzer guy myself and not too familiar with canister trajectory, although from custom battles I found the best range for that was between around 40m to 80m. The day I fired a point-blank canister volley over the heads of the attacking line was the day I stopped using cannons lol.

Exclamation Re: Artillery Fire at Will

I've had limitted success with micro'ing the cannister shot. (Though, definitely for mortars, howitzers & round shot, shooting the ground works really well.)

I've had some luck hitting enemy formations with cannister by firing at the ground just inside their effective range, when the enemy is just outside of it. I can't tell though if shooting the ground near an enemy in range works better though. Once the enemy has closed, there is so much else needing your attention, it is tough to micro just your cannon fire. (There is always a few units that need to be re-positioned at the flanks, and invariably, a unit of missle cav about to be trapped in the corner by melee inf.)

So, I still can't tell if aiming at the ground is worthwhile or if it's better just to fire at units directly and hope for the best. My current strategy is to shoot the ground just with cannister shot just before the enemy comes within range, and then have cannons fire away at specific units. (Exception -- fighting an army with predominantly melee inf or lots of cav, then I always shoot the ground.)

What say the rest of you -- do you micro your cannister shot all the time? One mitigating factor is that a shot to the corner of one unit may destroy the unit next to it, so it's not always a wasted shot.

I still think that Arty rules the battlefield in ETW, even with the buggy behavior. For me artillery units almost often have the highest # of kills. The only thing holding them back is all the damned blue on blue shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    There is also a path finding issue with it. Units should not walk through deployed artillery but they seem to prefer doing that.
    Oh dear yes, I think i've seen this in every TW game, any unit anywhere in the vicinity of artillery always decides the sensible path from point a to point b is 20 steps to the left, in front of the firing guns then swing slowly towards point b with an occasional dawdle to wait for the cannon to salute them.
    it's not improved a bit in this version.