Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video games cause violence - ban them!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Video games cause violence - ban them!

Saw this at the TWC and googled an article:

http://kotaku.com/5160608/brazilian-...sega-light-gun

So, I think this shows that video games cause a glorification of crime and violence, and need to be banned if Brazil's high levels of crime are to be dealt with.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Default Re: Video games cause violence - ban them!

If he needed money he should have sold the light gun...

These things are now quite rare and collectible. I ll bet you good money that half of the orgahs are so young that they will need to google 'master system' to find out what it is...

...I feel so old.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

It is hillarious to me that an avid gamer would post this on a gaming forum, joking or not. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    It is hillarious to me that an avid gamer would post this on a gaming forum, joking or not. :P
    Who said I'm an avid gamer? Now that you mention it, I've never seen you outside the Tavern!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Who said I'm an avid gamer? Now that you mention it, I've never seen you outside the Tavern!
    You ll be surprised as to many old tavern patrons rarely set foot outside the tavern...

..We come for the game, we stay for the crazy republicans/hippie liberals

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    lol, I sometimes venture outside. :P I actually used to post only in the MTW and RTW sections, but then I had to see what the Backroom was all about, and then...you know the rest. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seconded.

Started here at Uni, now free time is far more constrained. BUt I can still be in the Tavern during the day.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    You ll be surprised as to many old tavern patrons rarely set foot outside the tavern...

..We come for the game, we stay for the crazy republicans/hippie liberals
    I think this is happening to me, is there any way out???

It's got real bad since ETW won't work properly on my PC.

Makes me want to go and bludgeon someone to death with my keyboard.

EDIT: Must stop spamming and do homework *sigh*
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 03-25-2009 at 17:44.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Violent video games do not cause aggression.

Many, many other studies out there that have reached the same conclusion. Just google them some time.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I blame punch and judy...

All serial killers wacthed a punch and judy show!!

Stop the violence... end punch and judy!

on the off topic point... i rarely venture outside the tavern.. though i have a little look in stw forum and i am intrested in ETW forums quite a bit... it is mainly the tavern that keeps me here...

I don't think violent video games send people over the edge... it occasionally may give some crazy people ideas but my guess would be the movies would be better at it...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    If he needed money he should have sold the light gun...

These things are now quite rare and collectible. I ll bet you good money that half of the orgahs are so young that they will need to google 'master system' to find out what it is...

...I feel so old.
    Didn't Greece inadvertenly ban games once?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

AGLKAHSDLKA THIS MAKES ME SO MAD I JUST WANT TO KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Maybe he thought the old lady wouldn't be able to recognize it?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I have yet to hear one good, fact supported argument on how video games increase violence among kids.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 03-26-2009 at 04:54.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I can see how violent video-games can pull an already unstable person over the edge, same for violent movies, think of these two teens that murdered a toddler after watching Child's Play. Every serial-killer was inspired by something no? I also think it isn't that unlikely that violent people play violent video-games. Banning no there is a clear age rating slapped on games, user discretion. People should just come to terms with tragedy's happening, it can't be prevented suck it up.

I think at least most of these people are so mentally unhinged that it doesn't take much... even going back a few hundred years ago we have serial killers... what where they inspired by... books ?

And then you can go back before books... what was the violence inspired by then... overly violent cave drawings ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Sure, but just laughing of that ultra-violent videogames might have something to do with it, how far a stretch is it really, violent people playing violent videogames, extreme violence is erotic, it's primal. I think that in the end it's all sexual frustration and that any media will do, that includes videogames.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Violence on television and on video games is one of the more heavily researched social science phenomena. If you REALLY wish, I can start to dig up some of the academic studies on the subject.

In general, most of this research indicates that television and video game violence does "amp" up those who watch it for a period of time thereafter and does provide some level of desensitization to violence. Both of these effects are moderate, not sweeping in their impact. No support has been shown for tv/vid games as a CAUSE of violence and no support is has been shown for the idea that tv/vid game violence sweeps out a person's sense of right and wrong or culturally/familialy implanted inhibitions against violence.

At worst, it can help desensitize and "encourage" violence in someone who is already heading towards that choice anyway -- it will NOT make the choice for them.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I am not saying it does, but I wouldn't dismiss any influence that early and most of all easily. Again, violent people like violent entertainment, if you are already a bit of, then the chainsaw stealth-kiss might just seem inspiring.

What's with all these stupid replies? Can't you take a thread seriously?!?!

In case it is needed...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

I would say it's influences from parent figures and friends that cause most of these problems, violent games are exactly that, games, a game isn't real life and everyone those that, well put aside a few fruit loops and everyone knows that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 777Ares777 View Post
    I would say it's influences from parent figures and friends that cause most of these problems, violent games are exactly that, games, a game isn't real life and everyone those that, well put aside a few fruit loops and everyone knows that anyway.
    I agree. Parents and friends must also be banned. Children should be raised by the state and only allowed to play approved educative video games.

EDIT: That thought just sent a shiver down my spine, especially the last part. Gah!
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 03-27-2009 at 00:32.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    OMG! What a ******* psychopath! That is one of the most disturbing things I have every read.

I think all children that engage in crime will have to play Katamari Damacy. Everything will be fixed then.
    This space intentionally left blank.

I think we should just pick some random schools, give all the children weapons, and make them fight to the death, Battle Royal stlye.

I would also like to say that my lego figures used to have some horrific fight... thanks to legs heads and body's being detachable from each other you could be left with a messy scene... the losers where also usualy imprisoned in horrific conditions...

Ban the lego!!

Im sure i used to be an imaginaary solider or cowboy sometimes as well, making a gun shape with my hand and shooting noises... so easily amused...

Ban children imaginations!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    ...Ban children imaginations!
    We have Ritalin for that.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    Didn't Greece inadvertenly ban games once?

Of course we did!

Well basically it was legal to sell them but illegal to play them for 3-4 days.

Our wise and really old dinosaurs of MP's wanted to pass a law that would prohibit 'fruit machines' in arcades because it encouraged uncontrolled gambling on easily tampered with machines. So they made a law that banned playing electronic games that have a 'luck element' outside casinos and voila we banned video games!

I believe it is one of the best examples of how the ones who govern a country have no touch with the reality of the country.

When they realized what they did they amended the law amongst widespread laughter by the general populace. Judging by how unlawful we are many people probably felt sad that games were legalized once more. Nothing better than the thrill you get by playing a game of minesweeper behind the cops' nose.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ban Video Games? Why not Ban Lego's? Toy Soliders?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast