Thread: When a Dissident Gets Asylum in A Country Where The Same Dissidence is Slinced

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default When a Dissident Gets Asylum in A Country Where The Same Dissidence is Slinced

Does there cease to be a "good" side?

C'mon boys, break out those mental gymnastics.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: When a Dissident Gets Asylum in A Country Where The Same Dissidence is Slinced

Don't drink before you try to master your way through starting a thread.

By now it has become rather apparent when you are wastedly drunk and not.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: When a Dissident Gets Asylum in A Country Where The Same Dissidence is Slinced

Indeed, the US gives Chen Guangchen asylum and hunts Snowden, it's a weird world. Both criticized their government for acting against the people under the guise of hunting criminals or something like that.

In the end we can just conclude that everybody just acts out of self-interest and no country is good in a more objective way.
    Also wiki lists Adolf Hitler as a political dissident.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Also wiki lists Adolf Hitler as a political dissident.
    lolwhat?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well he was one no, he got locked for rambling the cages. That it turned out to be a pretty good idea doesn't matter for the definition

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

there is no good side...there is our side.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

subject/object
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 07-23-2013 at 12:52.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Is this thread about Gerard Depardue?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Husar 

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Indeed, the US gives Chen Guangchen asylum and hunts Snowden, it's a weird world. Both criticized their government for acting against the people under the guise of hunting criminals or something like that.

In the end we can just conclude that everybody just acts out of self-interest and no country is good in a more objective way.
    The former doesn't add up to the latter.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Is this thread about Gerard Depardue?
    Yes, he also said Putin is a flawless democrat and Russia is a better country because low taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    The former doesn't add up to the latter.
    You may be right, but both were really good points and thankfully weren't about maths.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    there is no good side...there is our side.
    As a heterosexual I object and objectify!
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Well he was one no, he got locked for rambling the cages. That it turned out to be a pretty good idea doesn't matter for the definition
    He got locked up for an attempted and failed coup. That's not being a political dissident. That's being a political asshole.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    He got locked up for an attempted and failed coup. That's not being a political dissident. That's being a political asshole.
    It all depends on your view point. One guys terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, you know that.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If an Allied traitor supplied information to the Nazi's, I bet he would find comfort at Hitler's Bosom, even though the Nazi's were rigid in rooting out traitors.

Enemy of our Enemy is your Friend.

They benefit from the traitor, so why should they oppose him? Are you suggesting people are like Stannis Baratheon or Genghis Khan?

(Stannis is very lawful, he cut the fingers off a smuggler for smuggling goods for him. Genghis Khan was presented the body of a rival khan by his bodyguards, he slew them for breaking the law and killing their khan.)
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-26-2013 at 02:30.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    It all depends on your view point. One guys terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, you know that.
    ....and I never used those terms. Being a political dissident means that you are hunted down because of your political views. The Weimar did not, sadly, hunt down Hitler or any other Nazi for their political views. Hitler was imprisoned for a crime, and can't claim being a dissident based on just that.

If he can, I'm going to list myself on wiki. After all, I disagree with the ruling party AND I once got a parking ticket. On a parking lot owned by the government. They're after me, I tell you!

After that, I'm going to cut my wrists with a macdonalds spoon and go cry with the emos.

Husarrvg 

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Does there cease to be a "good" side?

C'mon boys, break out those mental gymnastics.
    I learned a long time ago communism is bad and all commies are bad, godless, soulless, evil empire builders, and America formed the Holy NATO to help contain the spread until it can be dealt with by our democratically elected leaders. Nice try.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...016657318.html

Here's an interesting opinion from a Professor of International Law.

It means that the borderline between good and evil in future movies will be more unclear.
    Wooooo!!!