Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I went to Justice Court

Default So, I went to Justice Court

Last December I got a ticket for failing to stop while entering a roadway. I thought that I did stop so I decided to fight the charge in court. The whole process took nine months and I had to go to court several times for my arraignment, pre-trial conference, trial, and then sentencing which was this morning (I lost). I'm not sure if this is how it works in other states in the US but where I live they schedule multiple cases for the same courtroom and time and then go down the list in alphabetical order, which means you have to sit through everyone else's case until your turn comes up. Most of the time it was boring as hell but there were some interesting cases.

Just about every Mexican person there was charged with operating a motor vehicle when never having obtained a driver's license. I thought it was interesting just how many people there were that got charged with this violation, it was more than a few. Here in Utah they require that you bring in your birth certificate, social security card, and other documents that I can't remember to get a driver's license, in an effort to deter illegal immigrants from moving into the state by making it hard for them to live here. It seems as though many people are just choosing to drive without a license and take the risk of getting caught.

There was a woman during one of the court sessions who was charged with domestic violence in front of a child. According to her story, Her and her husband were on their way to pick up their teenage son from wrestling practice. He was waiting for them by the curb and the husband acted like he was going to run him over to scare him. Then when the son got into the truck, the husband starting telling him how he was a loser, how he was never going to amount to anything, and stuff like that. The woman was tired of him abusing her son so she slapped him across the face and jumped out of the truck. What does our honorable gentlemen do? He calls the cops on her for slapping him. She had to pay a fine of around $2000, if I remember correctly, and take some sort of counseling class that I can't remember the name of. This case seemed like a terrible misapplication of the law to me.

This morning there was a girl who was a former polygamist, I could tell from her accent and her last name. Her highest level of education was the 6th grade, and she was 18 or 19 years old.

This morning there was also this big woman who was riding a Jazzy, one of those four-wheeled scooters with a big seat that the elderly and the morbidly obese like to ride. She had a brain injury and had to have an attorney appointed to her because she had a difficult time understanding the judge. Apparently she got hit by a car while she was riding her Jazzy down the road so the police officer gave her a ticket for riding a bicycle or a moped in the wrong lane of traffic.

Default Re: So, I went to Justice Court

Sounds great to me, you break the law, you get punished.

If the punishments were harsher, these crimes would happen less often.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    There was a woman during one of the court sessions who was charged with domestic violence in front of a child. According to her story, Her and her husband were on their way to pick up their teenage son from wrestling practice. He was waiting for them by the curb and the husband acted like he was going to run him over to scare him. Then when the son got into the truck, the husband starting telling him how he was a loser, how he was never going to amount to anything, and stuff like that. The woman was tired of him abusing her son so she slapped him across the face and jumped out of the truck. What does our honorable gentlemen do? He calls the cops on her for slapping him. She had to pay a fine of around $2000, if I remember correctly, and take some sort of counseling class that I can't remember the name of. This case seemed like a terrible misapplication of the law to me.
    You did only hear one side of the story. I wouldn't make a judgement based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post

I'm not sure that punishment as a deterrent really works. Maybe for certain people, but if they've committed to the crime they're not doing it thinking about the sentencing.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post

Spot the German in the thread.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I went through a brief, non-criminal legal thing. Had to spend a bit of time sorting it out at the local Judicial Center.

What I miss now is the regular parade of neck tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Spot the German in the thread.
    I merely wanted to say that before anyone else does and makes me angry.
    I could've made a comment about the US justice system but that only makes other people angry and we only have anecdotes here.
    Was an interesting read though.

Almost forgot the other thing, in addition to neck tattoos.

In the Judicial Center parking lot—and pretty much nowhere else—there were a lot of cars with giant decals of their brand. I have no explanation for this. You'd be like, "Hey, that's a Honda, because there's a giant sticker on the windshield that says HONDA, so now I know."

Why? Why not, I guess.

So: Neck tattoos and giant car brand windshield decals. These appear to be the markings of criminal masterminds.

Last edited by Lemur; 10-01-2013 at 21:29.

Members thankful for this post (2):

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I wonder if the tramp stamp comes with either human or their name on it so their latest partner if they aren't illiterate can have a clue.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Dunno. I may be showing my age and middle-classness, but there's something about a neck tattoo that screams, "Please do not employ me." You know?

Last edited by Lemur; 10-01-2013 at 22:09.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Dunno. I may be showing my age and middle-classness, but there's something about a neck tattoo that screams, "Please do not employ me." You know?

Side Note:

The classic counter comments about a book and its cover, that I have a neck tat and I am doing fine, and that its not like it was twenty years ago, should be skipped. Our Lemur has, I suspect, heard them all a time or 16 before. Moreover, in a majority of cases, he's quite right. Whether or not employers should consider such a thing, they do, and your chances of employment are less.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Is this the thread where we bitch about poor people?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

No it's a thread where we bitch about people making poor life choices.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Is that you Pa?

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I pay high Aussie taxes, mortgage for over priced Sydney property and am a Westie.

So yes I have an opinion about people who have no barriers to getting a job other than their life choices.

Member thankful for this post:

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Always bear this in mind if you want to get a tattoo:

Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 10-02-2013 at 12:24.

Members thankful for this post (6):

I think we might have a winner...

Members thankful for this post (5):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Apparently Kelly isn't much for eye contact...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Husar 

I envision a future in which all humans have their entire skin removed and replaced with a polyurethane coating.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (3):

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    I envision a future where everyone's tatted up all over. Love it.
    I envision a future where the last surviving industry in the US is laser tattoo removal.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    your chances of employment are less.
    To get semi-serious for a second: What's the single most important thing you look for when you're hiring somebody for a position? Any position?

I'd say good judgment, or "common sense," or whatever you want to call it. IMHO, this is more important than degrees, accreditations, work experience, or even basic competence. (Although these things may indicate good judgment.)

What tells the forklift operator not to park where he's blocking the truck bay? Good judgment. What tells your secretary/attendant not to get weird or cute when answering the phone? Good judgment. I don't care how low somebody is in the corporate structure, they are making decisions all day long, and the quality of their thinking/judgment/common sense will be reflected in the results.

I'd rather take someone with low experience/skills and train 'em up if they can demonstrate good judgment, rather than deal with someone who's highly qualified but full of unnecessary drama.

And what does a neck tattoo indicate? A lack of good judgment, at least for anyone trying to get along with the basic norms of business life.

So ... yeah. I'm not being flip: A neck tattoo says "I don't want to be employed."

P.S.: I have worked in organizations where management tried to compensate for bad judgement by making policies for absolutely everything. I have never seen this succeed in a real-life setting. All this sort of managing does is make your competent people mad, while having low-to-no effect on idiots. You can't train stupid, and you can't make policies that cover every possible way somebody might screw up. Better to just look for people with a certain level of common sense, and be willing to fire the idiots. There's no other way that works.
    Last edited by Lemur; 10-04-2013 at 16:47.

Members thankful for this post (3):

People who get neck tattoos are generally a bit déclassé.

Tattoos are trashy and you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 10-06-2013 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    I got six tattoos, including some on my forearms and one on my leg.
    Fair enough, but speaking as a stuffed shirt who hires and fires: I don't give a damn about forearms and legs. Perfectly rational, sane, common-sense-endowed people get ink there.

It's face and neck tattoos that set me back, and make me go, "Huh. Maybe you don't make great decisions."

Tattoos ruin a perfect skin, they make you unclean and unworthy. You have been gifted a working body with a delicate ecosystem and then you burn parts of it for shallow optical effects. As a purist I can only oppose this, people also don't buy apples and bananas with tainted skin, why should humans be any different from apples?

TL;DR: I'm a tolerant person but I am not fond of tattoos, I like my humans bio-natural.

Does that mean Germany will send people with acne to the camps now?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Yes. Acne Camp.

Or maybe Camp Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Acne is not something people do to their body voluntarily, it is caused by rogue bacteria.

If you are like me, you get tattooed compulsively knowing that you will regret it when you are older and more settled.

It's concealed by clothing, but I'm gonna have some explaining to do to future Mrs. Rhyfelwyr, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    People who get neck tattoos are generally a bit report buttonable.

Tattoos are trashy and you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery
    I'm far from being the most "politically correct" of persons, Strike, but the last word of the first sentence you posted here is inappropriate and inherently misogynistic. Nor was it even necessary, as "trashy" "déclassé" or "nekulturney" could have conveyed the essence of your comment just as well.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-06-2013 at 22:30.

I'll change it. I don't think it's misogynistic though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast