Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Attila - Initial Thoughts

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Total War: Attila - Initial Thoughts

I'm mildly excited about the upcoming game.

Probably because it evokes some memories of Napoleon:TW, which in my opinion was a very good TW game. But memories aside, I'm mildly excited because of three things:

• Eastern Roman Empire VS Sassanids (Barbarian Invasion was a ton of fun because of that - let's hope Attila has that)
    • Rome II is now an enjoyable game - which roughly will translate to Attila
    • Fighting off the Hunnic invasion as the Romans - a proper challenge

Most likely, Attila will be an evolution of Rome 2, and that in itself is a good thing because after 15 or so patches the "initial" game evolved to a good level. Not sure if I will pre-order it, I'm still waiting out to hear some more details about it, but initial signs are looking pretty positive. I wasn't that excited about Rome 2, an opinion which now changed due to the game (I'm enjoying it), but Attila is a bit different.

Thoughts?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Total War: Attila - Initial Thoughts

Im cautiously excited. If this was an entire new game with a new engine and everything Id be more cautious, but seeing as its building upon Rome 2 and not trying to start from scratch as they did from Shogun 2 to Rome 2, Im thinking that while there might still be some AI issues (as there almost always are with TW games), the bugs I think should largely be gone. In theory anyways. The new mechanics with the advancing winter and scorched earth abilities are making me rather excited!

I have yet to decide if I will pre-order or not.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Im not even sure you can preorder it yet... did a quick search around and didn't see the ability..... I will most likely preorder... im a glutton for release game punishment I guess
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

As much as I'd like to get excited, I just can't.

I pre-ordered Rome 2 and was very disappointed. It's taken a year and 15 patches just to get to where I enjoy the game.

Any idea on how much this will cost?

They said it will be less than Rome 2, and about the same amount Napoleon and FOTS cost on release.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Cautiously excited here as well. Optimistic though...

Pre-order? Nah... There WILL be bugs... trust me :)

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

first thoughts are "rofl"

then comes alot of thoughts i should better not post =_=

We do not sow.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

The first thing that comes to my mind is that why is this a stand alone? The answer is simple really, they don't want to retrofit the "new" features into Rome 2, so that they can sell this expansion as a full fledged game. This annoys me to no end. What did they say in the beginning? Seasons cannot be implemented to the game, than comes the ceaser in gaul dlc and boom, seasons are in, they say that multiple turns are a no no than hanibal at the gates dlc, boom they are in. They say that family tree is not needed than Attila comes and it's suddenly possible

Seriously what is wrong with this company? How deep are they going to dig their grave? Don't they know that once you loose the support of your fan base the casual gamer kids are not going to save you from bankruptcy? Instead of improving what they built up to medieval 2 they went ahead and ruined everything. Shogun 2 gave a new hope but now that is long gone as well. I am really sorry for the series, what a waste..

Members thankful for this post (2):

Well we certainly have a bunch of optimists here, don't we!

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It is hard to spend your money based on 'optimism' when you are short on cash. Most people are going through tough times now, and that makes people less willing to gamble. We would rather put our money on something that gives us a reason for confidence than on something that experience and our better instinct tell us will suck. If CA doesn't want to erode its entire fanbase out from under it, it had better start showing some real quality and give us a reason to come back and give them our money.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Thats fair, nobody is demanding that you preorder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    The first thing that comes to my mind is that why is this a stand alone? The answer is simple really, they don't want to retrofit the "new" features into Rome 2, so that they can sell this expansion as a full fledged game. This annoys me to no end. What did they say in the beginning? Seasons cannot be implemented to the game, than comes the ceaser in gaul dlc and boom, seasons are in, they say that multiple turns are a no no than hanibal at the gates dlc, boom they are in. They say that family tree is not needed than Attila comes and it's suddenly possible

Actually I think the stand-alone option is much better than an expansion. This way you arent forcing those who dont have Rome 2 to spend the extra money to get Rome 2, then get Attila and spend even more money. They have said it will be priced similar to FOTS and Napoleon so it wont be priced as a full game like Rome or Shogun 2. Stand alone expansions are much more consumer friendly than an expansion you need the base game for.

And to set the record straight, they never said that they couldnt do multiple turns per year, they said they didnt want to in order to keep the game at 300 turns. At least to my knowledge, there could be some random dev who said that which I have not seen. You have a point about the seasons, I dont know what happened so Im not going to comment about what went on or not. Maybe they overestimated how much stress it would put on systems, and when they saw a modder do it they decided it was possible? For the family tree they said they didnt know everyone wanted it so much. Apparently it was never really a part of the game that everyone said they desperately wanted so they left it out for some reason. When there was a public outcry over it, they put it in the next game. Whether or not it can be ported back into Rome 2 is yet to be seen, Im going to withhold judgement until the game comes out and the player reviews come in. It wouldnt be fair to pass judgement until release.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-08-2014 at 16:04.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I wonder if this will be priced as a full game. I may or may not preorder depending on what the stuff is and cost. I'm still playing Rome 2 so I can wait until it's on sale later to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiDamascus View Post
    I wonder if this will be priced as a full game. I may or may not preorder depending on what the stuff is and cost. I'm still playing Rome 2 so I can wait until it's on sale later to get it.
    They said it will be priced like Napoleon and FOTS, so no, not as a full game.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Napoleon was a nice game to play but I prefer Empire, still playing it now and but not Napoleon. I am sure Attila will be a good game, and I'll probably buy it. I just hope it has enough random variability to play through more than a couple of times.

Napoleon excelled on the battle side, making it more of a "Total War" rather than an empire-building game that was Empire. So in this perspective, I'm definitely looking forward to Attila.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

New Attila dev blog!

Will post comments on it later.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I like the overall darker mood of the graphics. If that can be transferred into the gameplay, Attila might be distinctive enough from Rome 2 to be more than just Rome 2 with missed features, e.g. some sort of family tree.

It will be interesting so see, how Attila hinself is going to be implemented. Could be as a new faction or some lategame overpowered steamroller who doesn't care about building, destroys everything in its way and cannot be stopped; at least in the first stages of the invasion.
    I would favour the last, but this tends in the direction of "losing can be fun" - not a popular concept for marketing.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

well he was stopped eventually historically. so i dont know why u have to lose per se. but diplomacy and intrigue played a big part in it as well... which has never really been the strong point of tw series.

We do not sow.

Lose per se just when your standing right in the door as Attila & friends are knocking it down. Maybe CA manages to give diplomatic options, but the first wave should be devastating if you try to oppose the invaders; at least without allies. I you live to do something another day by diplomacy or having enough provinces out of harms, way the late game could be kind of a reconquista of the lost and scorched provinces.
    Still there's the problem of getting history and gameplay along, without loosing too much of either one

So theres a livestream of Attila going on right now on the CA twitch site (link) and they arent showing many new things but the music is rather good now! Even makes use of the infamous Mongolian throat singing.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So here are some of the details provided in the dev livestream, courtesy of Reddit:

Main campaign details - All religions have their own buffs and benefits.
    9 different religions in the game.
    - Building Browser!
    - Diseases can spread trough trade routes, armies and more and can cause diplomatic penalties.
    - Constantinople will be a unique settlement and big. Very big.
    - Minor settlements CAN have walls in ATTILA!
    - There will be civil wars in ATTILA but they will work out different as Rome II's wars.
    - More dillema’s, events and more.
    - There will be cultural-specific music themes.
    - There will be new army stances. Forced march now gives fatigue penalties when attacked.
    Characters
    - An assigned governor will grant an edict and bonusses and will be represented on the battle map when his city gets attacked.
    - You can marry people from other factions to get them in your family tree.
    - Different characters will bring different personalities in diplomacy. Because of this diplomatic relations will be more dynamic.

Agents
    - More agent actions will unlock when you level up an agent!
    - Results of agent actions will be displayed as 2D animations.
    Attila - ATTILA will always attack other nations. This cannot be avoided.
    - Attila can be killed or wounded

Units and Factions
    - Sassanids, Saxons playable, more playable factions will be revealed overtime.
    - A lot more specialized ships. Boarding, ranged combat, ramming.
    - There are male and female units in Total War ATTILA.
    - Some Immortals and Cataphracts units will be in the game.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Well we certainly have a bunch of optimists here, don't we!

CA inspires man. CA inspires.

It wouldnt be fair to pass judgement until release.
    Did you really not learn the lesson regarding Rome 2?

It must be very difficult for you to buy a decent car... "well the deal looks terrible for me, but the car might go for a million miles, and isn't fair to pass judgement until I've bought the car."

It is a skill to be able to predict things with any kind of decent degree of accuracy. It has been a gift of mine. And the results always speak for themselves. If you can't do it, at least look at the record of those who can, and trust them, not the guy who is asking for your money.

That said, Attila looks better than Rome 2, but CA burned a lot of bridges.
    Last edited by fallen851; 10-24-2014 at 22:12.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851 View Post

Did you really not learn the lesson regarding Rome 2?

It must be very difficult for you to buy a decent car... "well the deal looks terrible for me, but the car might go for a million miles, and isn't fair to pass judgement until I've bought the car."

It is a skill to be able to predict things with any kind of decent degree of accuracy. It has been a gift of mine. And the results always speak for themselves. If you can't do it, at least look at the record of those who can, and trust them, not the guy who is asking for your money.

That said, Attila looks better than Rome 2, but CA burned a lot of bridges.
    Haha wow, do you even understand what you just said? Rather cocky, aren't you? We should not rave about the game before it has earned It, and nobody has so far. Of course I learned my lessons. I probably will not be pre-ordering this one.

But I find it hilarious that you think the idea that we should hold off until reviews come in to pass judgment is a bad thing. No, I don't buy a car just because how far it can go, I read reviews and do research. As I advocate doing with the new game as well. No I am not advocating to preorder, do research before you buy. But at the same time, I do not think it is fair to pass judgement before the game is out. Especially since, in my opinion, CA have redeemed themselves for their mistakes. But then again, that is my opinion.

And yet here you are, all high and mighty claiming that since you have great judgement and such, which by the way sounds really conceited, we can accurately judge a product before we even know when it will be released.

And if you want to be all negative, be my guest, be all negative. I might disagree with it but that is your right. But I choose to have a positive outlook, and belittling me for that opinion will not change it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

I think this is the point where someone steps in to interject that we're only talking about games here.

Be they good, bad, or somewhere in between, in the scheme of things they're completely irrelevant to what really matters in life.

Hang around long enough and you'll eventually come to discover few things are worth getting all that worked up about. Or alternatively you'll spend your golden years standing on the front lawn in Bermuda shorts, long black socks pulled up nice and high attempting to hose down the neighbor's kids cause they won't stay off your lawn, IOTW, the source of endless amusement to everyone around you (other than yourself).

Members thankful for this post (3):

And yet here you are, all high and mighty claiming that since you have great judgement and such, which by the way sounds really conceited, we can accurately judge a product before we even know when it will be released.
    Damn right man. You become the champion in your mind before it happens in real life. Not every one who has that mind set is a champion, but not a single person who doesn't believe it, is a champion.

Anyway, enough about how great I am, the fact is many people were able to see that RTW2 was going to be train wreck prior to the release and the "reviews." Therefore, we can say that it isn't a bad idea to pass judgement before the reviews come out, mostly because the reviews are useless.

And what did the reviews tell us? Overwhelming positive the day of the release, because they didn't actually play the game! And then the game took a nose dive from reviews who didn't play the game, and Meta critic score began to suffer, and suffer. It was high 80's from reviewers on day of release, it is 76 now.

You know how you become the best? You admit when you are wrong, and fix the faults. One fault I've fixed, is caring what random people think about me.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    I think this is the point where someone steps in to interject that we're only talking about games here.

Hang around long enough and you'll eventually come to discover few things are worth getting all that worked up about.
    Sure, you can look at life that way. But I've wasted enough of my days, too many in fact. When I do something, I give 100%, or I don't even try. And my life is a lot better for it.

I'm actually not an intense person at all, I'm very laid back and calm. But if you put me in a competition, I play to win, no holds barred. And I've won some pretty important legal battles in my life, fought some big companies, and won. And I'm proud of that. And I know a lot of people who couldn't do that, and won't do it. They avoid conflict. And almost everyone told me to settle, said I would lose, to give up, asked me if it was worth it... and it was.

And that's why people get sour deals in life, because people don't fight for what they deserve. It's about being assertive. Does it look aggressive? Only to the passive. We all choose how we live our lives, but I don't hang my head in shame. So yes, I am high and mighty, because I choose to be.

People have a right to be angry about RTW2.
    Last edited by fallen851; 10-31-2014 at 05:58.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

People have a right to be angry about RTW2.
    Yes, they did. But the surest, and most powerful way to vent that anger is to not purchase any further TW games.

et has the gist of it...there are far more important things in life besides games. Which is why I don't understand hard-core sports fans getting worked up about their team, either Sports isn't real and neither are video games
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Yes, they did. But the surest, and most powerful way to vent that anger is to not purchase any further TW games.

et has the gist of it...there are far more important things in life besides games. Which is why I don't understand hard-core sports fans getting worked up about their team, either Sports isn't real and neither are video games
    You underestimate the therapeutic value of entertainment. Sports and video games aren't "real" you are correct. But neither is the orchestra or reading books, they are equally a waste of time. Also wasteful is fine cooking, watching a great movie, or playful flirting with the fairer sex.

But enjoying life is pretty important. Actually, it probably the most important thing.

And having money to do so is really important too. This game isn't free.

In the end, you're basically telling someone what they care about doesn't matter, and that isn't a nice thing to do. You're also excusing poor performance by saying "it doesn't matter, therefore it is okay that isn't good." And that seems to be exactly what the CA team did, put no effort in RTW2 because it didn't matter. Volound's video makes that argument quite clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6BOjqjfvI

So, it makes perfect sense that you guys defend the game. It was made by people just like you, who believe video games don't matter much, therefore if they don't live up to potential, it isn't a big deal.

But I give 100% in everything I do, and I would have never put my name on RTW2. I also believe the surest most powerful way to express my anger, is to write it, so others can see it. That way they be can emboldened, and won't let people (read: you) dissuade them from expressing their opinions openly and not be suppressed.

Because it does matter.
    Last edited by fallen851; 11-01-2014 at 05:08.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

In the end, you're basically telling someone what they care about doesn't matter, and that isn't a nice thing to do.
    Actually, that's not what I'm saying at all. There's a difference between not being real, and not mattering. Obviously, sports and gaming both "matter"...they're just not "real".

You're also excusing poor performance by saying "it doesn't matter, therefore it is okay that isn't good."
    Never said that poor quality doesn't matter, either. What I did say is that as a consumer, the strongest message you can send is to not buy products you are unhappy with...and I have not not bought a CA game, except STW2, since MTW2. So if all those who are dissatisfied with the state of TW games did as I have, which message would have the greatest impact...silent rejection, or vociferous bitching at a gaming forum?

So, it makes perfect sense that you guys defend the game. It was made by people just like you, who believe video games don't matter much, therefore if they don't live up to potential, it isn't a big deal.
    Not defending the game, either. And video games don't matter much...if I had back every minute I've spent sitting in front of a computer playing video games, I'd probably have put that time into far more productive activities that would have impacted my life in better ways. So yeah...if a game stinks, it's no big deal to me. I simply speak with far more thunder than whining about it...I DON'T BUY THE GAME!

But I give 100% in everything I do, and I would have never put my name on RTW2. I also believe the surest most powerful way to express my anger, is to write it, so others can see it. That way they be can emboldened, and won't let people (read: you) dissuade them from expressing their opinions openly and not be suppressed.
    Interesting that you can completely misread what I've said...three times...and then make a veiled judgement on my character that somehow because I don't write volumes about how unhappy I am with a product, that I don't give 100% in everything that I do Hey...bitch all you want, that's your perogative. I've already given CA the biggest message a person can send:

I DON'T BUY THEIR GAMES ANYMORE.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 11-01-2014 at 08:41.
    High Plains Drifter

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Fallen,

I'll leave you be at this point, you're a total stranger to me and not my burden.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ATTILA_factions

Factions are the "standard" so far, but I'm really looking forward to play with the ERE.

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast