Poll: Did Abe block Lincoln Logs?

Thread: Was Abe a meat eater?

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Was Abe a meat eater?

There is speculation that Abe liked his pork not in legislation. Do you think its true? If so, whats your opinion?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52c0a9639c8b63
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 02-13-2009 at 23:01.
    RIP Tosa

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Was Abe a meat eater?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    There is speculation that Abe liked his pork not in legislation. Do you think its true? If so, whats your opinion?
    I could see it. I mean he opposed war and to me that is a dead give away.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

From the sound of things, he was probably more bi than anything else.

Captain David Derickson was Lincoln's bodyguard and companion between September 1862 and April 1863. They shared a bed during the absences of Lincoln's wife, until Derickson was promoted in 1863. Derickson was twice married and fathered ten children, but whatever the exact level of intimacy of the relationship, it was the subject of gossip. Elizabeth Woodbury Fox, the wife of Lincoln's naval aide, wrote in her diary for November 16, 1862, "Tish says, 'Oh, there is a Bucktail soldier here devoted to the president, drives with him, and when Mrs. L is not home, sleeps with him. What stuff!'"

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

It's all speculation- pointless speculation at that. We know he was married and had a child, so was he secretly bisexual? Who cares?

Lincoln was born into and grew up in the Kentucky-style society that discouraged personal modesty. And having sleeping companions was not only common, it was the norm. At the risk of engaging in psychobabble here, it’s likely that Lincoln felt comfortable sleeping with his friends as a sort of reminder of his good old days as a young man on the Illinois frontier, not necessarily that he was gay.

It’s always dangerous to apply modern morals to the past, and particularly so in trying to bolster a political agenda by seeking to explain seemingly exceptional behavior in the light of today’s society. That’s because sometimes the behavior isn’t exceptional at all in terms of the time and place in history the event took place. The trick is knowing enough to make an informed decision—or admitting you don’t.
    link
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    From the sound of things, he was probably more bi than anything else.

Captain David Derickson was Lincoln's bodyguard and companion between September 1862 and April 1863. They shared a bed during the absences of Lincoln's wife, until Derickson was promoted in 1863. Derickson was twice married and fathered ten children, but whatever the exact level of intimacy of the relationship, it was the subject of gossip. Elizabeth Woodbury Fox, the wife of Lincoln's naval aide, wrote in her diary for November 16, 1862, "Tish says, 'Oh, there is a Bucktail soldier here devoted to the president, drives with him, and when Mrs. L is not home, sleeps with him. What stuff!'"
    That wiki page gives more weight to the belief that he wasn't homosexual, from my reading.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

I don't know really. This is probably another case of liberals wanting to bring another American hero to thier depraved level through rewriting history into their own perversed world view. But I'm not a big fan of Lincoln so the thought of him being a poof kind of puts a smile on my face.
    RIP Tosa

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I don't know really. This is probably another case of liberals wanting to bring another American hero to thier depraved level through rewriting history into their own perversed world view. But I'm not a big fan of Lincoln so the thought of him being a poof kind of puts a smile on my face.
    Let's all hope that the curse of July 21st birthdays (shared by D.Dave, Don Knotts & Robin Williams) have no negative effect on our loveable, cuddly, warm-fuzzy funny guy.

Great way to note a guy's 200th birthday, eh? Slavery?; ditched it (hey; no big deal, it was on the way out anyway). Kept the country intact? Phhhtt, how hard could that be? It was tiny back then.

Let's recognize the dude from Kentucky, er Indiana, uhm, Illinois, by his bedmates, in the world before central heat and air, and a whole different definition of 'man-love' than has been twisted today.

May mid-year 2174 mark our Dave's introduction to the world with the same jocular ummm... recognition. Hera only knows what will be regarded as "funny" in those days.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 02-14-2009 at 03:52.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Let's all hope that the curse of July 21st birthdays (shared by D.Dave, Don Knotts & Robin Williams) have no negative effect on our loveable, cuddly, warm-fuzzy funny guy.

Great way to note a guy's 200th birthday, eh? Slavery?; ditched it (hey; no big deal, it was on the way out anyway). Kept the country intact? Phhhtt, how hard could that be? It was tiny back then.

Let's recognize the dude from Kentucky, er Indiana, uhm, Illinois, by his bedmates, in the world before central heat and air, and a whole different definition of 'man-love' than has been twisted today.

May mid-year 2174 mark our Dave's introduction to the world with the same jocular ummm... recognition. Hera only knows what will be regarded as "funny" in those days.
    Hey, I'm not ashamed of closet homosexuality. I always thought my boy Robin was a little fruity, I love a hairy man...
    RIP Tosa

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Hey, I'm not ashamed of closet homosexuality. I always thought my boy Robin was a little fruity, I love a hairy man...
    I always liked that about you. man. Equal Hairy Opportunity and all.

Funny how "closet" has changed meaning over the years, eh?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    I always liked that about you. man. Equal Hairy Opportunity and all.

Funny how "closet" has changed meaning over the years, eh?
    No kidding. I can't even give my wife a pearl necklace without a smile...
    RIP Tosa

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    It's all speculation- pointless speculation at that. We know he was married and had a child, so was he secretly bisexual? Who cares?

link
    This is pretty much the same line take by D. Kearns Goodwin in her biography of Lincoln. A pretty good read, btw.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Just putting a thought out there....why does it matter if hes homosexual, bisexual or whatever? Does it make any difference to his achievements or failures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    Just putting a thought out there....why does it matter if hes homosexual, bisexual or whatever? Does it make any difference to his achievements or failures?
    It would make his achievements that much more amazing considering the stigma of the time period. It could also be a reason as to why the war was as bloody as it was because of the frustration of having to hide his sexuality. There are many reasons why the topic is so interesting...

Plus it gives me a chance to use terms like meat eater, poof, pork, etc. We all win with this subject. You got a chance to ride in on your high horse. I'm here for your self esteem... THANK ME!!!!
    RIP Tosa

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

I guess it's part of your culture wars. Were your founders and presidents devout Christians? Were they gay? Were they slave-owners? Did they cheat on their wives? Beat their dogs?

Yawn.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

No kidding. I can't even give my wife a pearl necklace without a smile...
    I had to google that. It doesn't happen often...

You might be conservative but you certainly arent conventional. Respect...

On the subject: Does it really matter? Does it really matter to the slightest? He could have been drilling holes in watermelons and humping them for all that we know. Does this make him a lesser men?
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I can't even give my wife a pearl necklace without a smile...
    I don't know what you're talking about. However, if anyone wants to come over to my house, they can feel free to toss my salad.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-14-2009 at 17:05.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    On the subject: Does it really matter? Does it really matter to the slightest? He could have been drilling holes in watermelons and humping them for all that we know. Does this make him a lesser men?
    Yes, watermelon rapists are the lowest of the fruit-lovers.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Yes, watermelon rapists are the lowest of the fruit-lovers.

CR
    Historical sources seem to indicate that the watermelons consented...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I recall in the Ken Burns documentary Lincoln was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It's not gay if you beat them up afterwards."
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    Historical sources seem to indicate that the watermelons consented...
    We all know most records were practically written by the apologists and supporters of bananas. We can't let the prejudices of the time guide us.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

you know, theres this ongoing joke in my AP US history class that abe was gay......
    irony....
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 02-15-2009 at 02:20.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

You peoples is sick.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. However, if anyone wants to come over to my house, they can feel free to toss my salad.
    I'll be sure to bring the chilli dogs...
    RIP Tosa

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I recall in the Ken Burns documentary Lincoln was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It's not gay if you beat them up afterwards."
    Lincoln merely reflected the spirit of the United States

He men will cheer and the boys will shout
    The ladies they will all turn out
    And we'll all feel gay,
    When Johnny comes marching home.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Old Abe will meat YOU at the gay bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54L...eature=related

"Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Shouldn't this be merged in with the toe-tapping Republicans thread?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur