Thread: Post-battle screen

Default Post-battle screen

Anyone else noticed the number of casualties and kills in the post-battle screens is almost never correct? I started paying attention to it after noticing some weird things, and it just never adds up.

https://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9936/etwp.png
    For example, in this screenshot it says I killed 1900 enemies - though they only deployed 1280 (without reinforcements).
    Units that I know 100% certain didn't take any casualties are listed as having lost several men - and they do actually disappear after the battle.

I just fought a battle against a single enemy melee unit, wih nearly a full stack of my own.
    The enemy unit was routed by my artillery and riflemen long before it reached my lines, yet according to the post-battle screen the enemy killed 18 of my men It wasn't from friendly fire either - even units that were deployed in the rear took casualties somehow.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Post-battle screen

I have not seen what you are talking about specifically but I know there are some odd things at work.

You always seem to take a number of casualties chasing router but these are not enemy kills when you review them.

There are some other odd things too…the ghost units attacking with 0 men and so on.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Have to be honest, i've never ever seen anything like that. Maybe i'll start seeing it now that i'm going to specifically look out for it though.

Were there any reinforcements? They don't show up on the battle result window, but are counted as enemies killed.

I've had units of mine that fought in a battle not even show up at all in the summary screen.

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I have not seen what you are talking about specifically but I know there are some odd things at work.

You always seem to take a number of casualties chasing router but these are not enemy kills when you review them.

There are some other odd things too…the ghost units attacking with 0 men and so on.
    I have neither saw what he witnessed. I always take casualties from my own men's misfire. Maybe what you witness Fisherking?

As for the last thing, I've never witnessed that. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquinius View Post
    Were there any reinforcements? They don't show up on the battle result window, but are counted as enemies killed.
    Nope, no reinforcements.

Paid a little more attention to this, and I noticed that after EVERY battle the post-battle screen credits units for kills they never made.
    For example, during battles against just one or two enemy units, where my artillery and riflemen kill them all before they can fire a volley, my line infantry and cavalry still killed some enemies according to the post-battle screen (even though they didn't fire a shot, nor pursued the enemy).

I also noticed that when my artillery gets a lot of kills, the the number of kills they got according to the post-battle screen is actually much lower than the ammount they really killed

Hmm that's really strange. I've only noticed random units taking a few casualties in the post battle report if I first select to continue to chase rouers but then quit after that. Never seen them get extra kills though.

Probably this is what's going on:

From the consolidated bug list (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=116247)

"When you hit end battle (because the entire enemy army is routing) the game autoresolves with
    whats left. I know this for a fact because my general gets kills and sometims losses even
    though he stood idle the whole battle. Crediting kills sure but taking losses after the battle is over?
    Also sometimes results in generals death."

Brilliant. The only way to avoid this would be to let the battle run until all the routers have all been killed or left the field.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it."

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other."

- Jack Handey

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuarc View Post
    Brilliant. The only way to avoid this would be to let the battle run until all the routers have all been killed or left the field.
    I knew in my bones that auto-resolve was dodgy - and now I know why. Probably why I do indeed wait until all routers have left the field.

Add another to the must be fixed list.

Unrelated:

How about some more Jack Handy (from your sig line)?

As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?

Even though he was an enemy of mine, I had to admit that what he had accomplished was a brilliant piece of strategy. First, he punched me, then he kicked me, then he punched me again.

One more- related in tone to yours:
    Higher beings from outer space may not want to tell us the secrets of life, because we're not ready. But maybe they'll change their tune after a little torture.
    Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 04-21-2009 at 21:49.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Well, if its only a few line infantrymen coming off the top of your units, it not that bad. But (and I haven't seen this myself) the possiblity of losing your general to a random 'culling' of your units through autocalc after the enemy has routed is ridiculous. Of course, he is just as likely to be taken out by canister when your 12 lbers turn and fire into your own ranks for no reason whatsoever. Ah, don't get me started...

Re:unrelated. Yeah, Jack Handey cracks me up. Jack Handey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Handey).

A couple more of my favs:

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other."

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it."

- Jack Handey