Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different time?

Default A different time?

First I just have to say I love EB1 and have great expectation on EB2. And I kinda wish you where working for CA. Great job to y all!

But now I wanna head out a question to all fan and members. I am no expert on ancient history. But after seeing and playing EB1 and 2. Which time period would you like to play? For example for E:TW? Just read an Article and thought it would be kinda cool to take controll over Herodes empire. Or maybe spark (and win) the rebellion in Britain with Boudicca at my side.

Wich ancient period end empire would you like to see the EB team to recreate?

Default Re: A different time?

I wonder what kind of reaction this will get out of everyone.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

The EB Team is not CA, they are highly specialized, which is part of why EB is so splendid. Most of the EB historians (and all of the historians in general for that matter) have exceedingly in-depth knowledge about one specific time period and location, knowing much less about other periods/places. In order to move on to a "different time", much of the EB Team will have to quit and new recruits will have to be found. Its tough. Of course, my wishes are the same as yours, I want a different EB as well - I love Asia ton Barbaron and I wish it was the successor of EB I, but alas, not everything happens according to our wishes...

Bronze Age EB would also be nice, but only after AtB.

Exclamation Re: A different time?

Yeah, I doubt EB will ever go for a different timeframe.

Bronze Age EB would also be nice
    Even if it isn't EB, a bronze age TW is just sweet...

It can't go to a different time frame. Everyone on EB is there because they are knowledgeable about the ancient period of the 3rd through 1st century B.C. Changing the time frame renders them useless, and since they are essentially EB, it would an entire new group as EB in name only.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 12-20-2008 at 07:52.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    It can't go to a different time frame. Everyone on EB is there because they are knowledgeable about the ancient period of the 3rd through 1st century B.C. Changing the time frame renders them useless, and since they are essentially EB, it would an entire new group as EB in name only.
    dude, I think the OP was saying that "if you could have a mod as good as EB in a different time frame what would it be" not "the eb tem should switch timeframes"
    but anyways, I would RRREEEEAAALLY want to see Egypt in its prime like in RoP.
    or an ancient American mod with all of the Aztec, maya, chinnok, etc
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Bronze Age EB would also be nice, but only after AtB.
    Win. Although any period in China would be ace as well.

Yep, with Hittites, Egyptians, Assyrians, Medians, Minoans, Mycenaeans, Mitanni, Elamites, and maybe even some barbarians from Northern Greece or the Philistines and Jews who migrated to the Modern-day Palestine following the catastrophic Theran eruption? The same eruption that destroyed the world's most advanced civilization until the Medieval times - the Therans as well as Minoans for that matter too.

Prefect of Judea (former) Member Pontius Pilate's Avatar

I would like to see a timeframe from 14 A.D. to 180 A.D. Although I doubt it would ever happen. Bronze age seems cool and so does late antiquity too. maybe early Byzantine period?
    SPQR SPQR

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    LS is the best! LS is the best! Come on people sing along!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontius Pilate View Post
    I would like to see a timeframe from 14 A.D. to 180 A.D.
    Yes, I'd like an EB in that period as well. Or actually, not that period, but more of during the times of BI. The changes were more apparent in 400 CE then they were in 14-180 CE, during which the Romans still had their "classical" Imperial units.

to be honest, i'd really just like an EB that started in c220BC instead of 272BC. for me the late 3rd century and the 2nd century are more interesting and would - in my ideal mod - be the focus of attention. admittedly, by that point rome is already pretty well established, so it possibly makes the game less exciting.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

I'm going to be the only one to suggest this but I would really like a mod as historical as EB for 1450 - 1600 AD. The Renaissance, Classical and Hellenistic periods are my favourite parts of history.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

I'd like to see EB start a bit earlier, maybe just a few years after the death of Alexander. Though I suppose very few of the factions would be integrated enough to make the gameplay possible. It's just we never get to see the height of the Successor Kingdoms powers, or the rise of Phyrros. Shame. Oh well, I'm very happy with EB, and can't wait for EBII. If you guys want different periods, learn how to make mods and then change the period yourselfs. It could be fun.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

1850-1945 Total War.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: A different time?

Maybe made the campaign ended in 272 AD is fun enough, you can try to change it yourself in descr_strat

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

how bout a 2000-2008 War on Terror - Total War
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    1850-1945 Total War.
    I think until 1954, when Stalin dies would be most interesting, as he was instrumental in creating Soviet domination over Eastern Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majd il-Romani View Post
    how bout a 2000-2008 War on Terror - Total War

Holy Rome - Total War would be interesting, if you could fight the 30 Years War.

By the way, is there some nice mod about the V century and the barbarian expansion?
    BI does not count.
    Last edited by Cartaphilus; 12-22-2008 at 18:14.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Quote Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
    By the way, is there some nice mod about the V century and the barbarian expansion?
    BI does not count.
    Invasio Barbarorum, IB:RR starts in 410,with the Visigoths rampaging through Italy, Imperium Julianorum starts in 361, with Julian as sole ruler of the roman empire, Rio´s IB:FD starts in 463 or 432 in the provincial campaign. Very good mods! What EB is for R:TW, IB is for Rtw:BI.
    Last edited by ombudsman; 12-22-2008 at 18:48.

Quote Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
    Invasio Barbarorum, IB:RR starts in 410,with the Visigoths rampaging through Italy, Imperium Julianorum starts in 361, with Julian as sole ruler of the roman empire, Rio´s IB:FD starts in 463 or 432 in the provincial campaign. Very good mods! What EB is for R:TW, IB is for Rtw:BI.
    Thanks, I will try them.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Hax: Total War
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Holy Rome - Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Bah, blatant spam. Isn't your post count high enough, or are you going for the 2,000?

Quote Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
    Yeah, that mode is very nice, but it still lacks the completeness of EB. The trait system is not as developed in IB, which is my favorite feature of EB and the skins are very simple and awkward-looking, although that is a minor problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    The EB Team is not CA, they are highly specialized, which is part of why EB is so splendid. Most of the EB historians (and all of the historians in general for that matter) have exceedingly in-depth knowledge about one specific time period and location, knowing much less about other periods/places. In order to move on to a "different time", much of the EB Team will have to quit and new recruits will have to be found.
    Take note of that if you haven't already. All these ideas are absolutely splendid, but they are nothing more than a dream. I could see a 1 CE to 500 CE mod or a 500 CE to 300 CE mod being made by the EB team, but even that is pretty ambitious and unrealistic.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 12-22-2008 at 23:27.

Yeah the archaic and classical greek world would be so tight.

Siruso

Bah, blatant spam. Isn't your post count high enough, or are you going for the 2,000?
    Welcome to the .org!

I would play it.
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

Welcome to the .org!
    Oh, you maybe all smug and heroic now, but just wait 'till MAA or Foot lock this thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros View Post
    I would play it.
    Seriously, enough is enough. I don't mind your remark at all, but I am sure the moderators fell different and would not like to have this thread locked. No more off-topic posts please. If you disagree and you want to answer this post, then just PM me, but don't post off-topic on this thread anymore.

EDIT: Sorry to be such an ass, but I would rather not have this thread clossed.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 12-23-2008 at 17:27.

I see, Aemilius. My apologies.

However, I spoke with Intrepid Adventurer about this some time ago, and he was also very interested if there was indeed an EB centered about the "barbarian" invasions of the 3th and 4th centuries AD. I would also really like an EB centered around the eastern portion of Asia, say China, Korea, Japan around 1000 AD.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned my favourite period, starting ca. 380 BCE. The Peloponnesian Wars have stumbled to a close and it's all to play for. Sparta has a tenuous upper hand since the end of the Corinthian War, but Athens is poised to rise again. Persia is on the brink of invading Pharonic Egypt, Rome is looking to recover from the sack of their city, and just maybe the right man could forge the warring states around Macedon into a force to be reckoned with.

There's be loads of interesting factions to play; Illyrians, Paionians, Odrysian Thrace, and Macedon; Thebes and the Boetian League (the Sacred Band!), Sparta, Athens and Corinth as city-states; the twilight of Achaemenid Persia; the 30th Dynasty in Egypt under Nectanebo; Scythians at their peak; in Italy you'd have Gauls, Etruscans, Rome (just recovering from being burnt by Brennus), Samnites, Megale Hellas; and Syracuse and Carthage to round it off.

By 380 BCE both Phillip of Macedon and Darius III of Persia had been born, but their future was by no means certain. Great men of the time would include Epaminondas, Pelopidas, Iphicrates, Xenophon, Artaxerxes II, Agesilaus, Cleombrotus and Dionysius the Younger being tutored by Plato.

There'd probably have to be a whole new map, stretching form say Italy in the west to Bactria or Sogdiana in the east.

It's a pipe dream.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Yes, that is also one of my favorite time periods, but it is not as radically different from the EB period to make a unique game. Bronze Age, Late Roman period and Renaissance are all very different from the EB time period, whereas 4th century BCE is rather too similar. I know one can argue against me easily, presenting numerous valid arguments, but think relative. You time period is right next to the EB one, and pretty much all of the BE mechanics and basics are going to be the same, with different skins and factions.

Then again, I would really love to see that period being rendered by EB. Most excellent idea you have there. The differences may not be so great, but I would still love to see EB set in that period. If EB could be set in that period, that would roughly correspond with RTW: Alexander and if EB would do late Roman period, then we would have an equivalent of BI. Now that is my dream, along with AtB!

[wishful_thinking]You know, if enough of us got together we might be able to move EB to the time period of Alexander. Get permission to use Rise of Persia's Persians, PIs Italians etc.[end_wishful_thinking]
    But seriously, what factions might be included in an EB alexander
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast