Thread: Invisible Inc (aka while in development Incognita)

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Invisible Inc (aka while in development Incognita)

Anyone picked this up yet? I'm not a particular fan of stealth, but I'm likely buying this one 1st time there's a sale on it just based on the video below alone (well, that and the review by RPS):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...le-inc-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFBGPWNS_Fo

Default Re: Invisible Inc (aka while in development Incognita)

Can't believe no one here is a stealth game fan, this sure looks right up your alley.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Meh, once you've played the original Thief games, there's really no point in touching any other stealth game. Ever.

Members thankful for this post (3):

FragonyMythVuk 

That opinion amuses me on so many levels, thanks for providing a refreshing bit of close mindedness, it was bracing.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Rock, Paper Shotgun reviews are favourable and calls it XCOM with stealth, backed up with a tight campaign where time is limited to complete the game ie 72 hours to travel around the globe and do the missions.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I watched the video, looked a bit like a puzzle game more than a stealth game, not my kind of thing.
    It's probably the randomness/pressure the reviewer liked combined with the round-basedness of it all.
    Not that round-basedness is necessarily bad, I loved Jagged Alliance 2, you could also be stealthy there although it wasn't always easy.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Well, I will not say that Thief will never be undone as the greatest stealth game of all time, but at least so far Wooly is right. There has never been another worth playing if you have played the Thief series. Who knows, there may never be.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Member thankful for this post:

This reverence for Thief is interesting, it appears to of arrested some of you from considering anything in the genre. I'll admit I don't track on the concept of thinking any game permanently owns a genre such that no game after it can compete. Pretty much w/o exception no game that follows is even attempting to be that game you've unwisely shoved up on a pedestal, so the comparison is pointless.

So here's my suggestion: take any game, much like any work of art, on its own merits and don't get hung up in the past. Otherwise you're likely to find the latter half of your life rather tapped out in the entertainment dept once you've played the so called "great game", read the "great book" and seen the "great movie".
    Last edited by easytarget; 05-18-2015 at 00:46.

I am not saying that it permanently owns the genre. As soon as a game comes out that can compete even a little I will acknowledge it. Unfortunately standards are very low in this genre, and most stealth games suck. Those that are ok are just that: ok. There has NEVER been a great stealth game since Thief. Period.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Well, easy, I guess I'm that kind of mammoth. I wouldn't waste my time with a game (regardless of genre) that's not (at least) on par with a great title made taffing decades ago. It strikes me as very strange that in spite of better technology and higher budgets, modern titles fall behind predecesors developed with much more limited resources.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic here, these were just my two cents regarding the "stealth fan" post.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Well, this is a bit of an indie game, so I don't think we can compare it with a full-blown AAA game. Coincidentally, I attended a presentation by the Sound Technician about the studio's previous game, Mark of the Ninja. I haven't taken a look at this game, but Mark of the Ninja was great fun.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    Well, easy, I guess I'm that kind of mammoth. I wouldn't waste my time with a game (regardless of genre) that's not (at least) on par with a great title made taffing decades ago. It strikes me as very strange that in spite of better technology and higher budgets, modern titles fall behind predecesors developed with much more limited resources.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic here, these were just my two cents regarding the "stealth fan" post.
    It's the indie market. The AAA games are burning crazy amounts of money (to the degree of risking a crash due to spiralling development costs) on the graphic upgrades.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Thief 1 and Thief 2 had so much more than stealth. They had an iconic atmosphere, genius level design and "soul". So much, in fact, that I've actually learned basic DromED and started making a mission (when I had time to waste). DromED is to modern game design as a rusty fork is to a laser cutter. But that rusty fork has prepared the tastiest meal i've ever had.

The ambient sounds alone and the feel of the dark streets of the City still pop up into my head. When I walk around the old parts of some Bulgarian towns, or when I look up at the moonlighht sky and hear crickets I get reminded of Thief. Yep.

So, anyone who ridicules this iconic genre - SHAMEFUR DISPRAY.

Let's not talk about thief 3 and 4/THIAF, however.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Member thankful for this post:

Vuk 

To return this back to the topic I started it for, had my first run through on Invisible, Inc. Tough little game, made it to the final mission and got my team wiped. Damn fun.

Looking forward to running through again, and this time succeeding.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I just got this game recently. It's good fun for an indie game. It also runs on Linux, which is a plus for me now.

I think a very apt comparison for this game is actually FTL. Different genres, but the overall concept is similar. You have a big confrontation looming on the horizon and you are very time limited. You need to build your team(ship) and collect as many useful resources as you can before time is up. Spend too long on a particular map (system) and you're also in trouble.

It's all very similar to FTL. And it's not a bad thing. I'd say take a look at the trailer or some gameplay vids on youtube. If they look at all interesting, and you liked FTL, you'll like this.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

FYI, while also not the same thing, since we're on the theme of time limitations leading to an ultimate confrontation the same game design plays out in Massive Chalice.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Well, I will not say that Thief will never be undone as the greatest stealth game of all time, but at least so far Wooly is right. There has never been another worth playing if you have played the Thief series. Who knows, there may never be.
    There only be one. Well two but you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I'd say take a look at the trailer or some gameplay vids on youtube. If they look at all interesting, and you liked FTL, you'll like this.
    I've looked in the past and gave it a pass, I'll circle back next time I see it on a steam sale and consider giving it a go, thx.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Having heard more if it this sounds good

Mid-week steam sale has Invisible on sale for only $11.99.