Thread: Nothing to see here Strike, move along now.

Default Nothing to see here Strike, move along now.

I'm aware that it's evil tory propaganda but even if a half of this is true, God help our grandkids...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/b...rror-story/4od

It's over an hour long. Just so you know.

I'm off for a stiff drink.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Default Re: Nothing to see here Strike, move along now.

I watched about half an hour last night and then I caught about ten minute of the end later on the +1 channel honestly I near kicked the wellington through the telly.

I mean did you see that from Goldmans with him in the convertible telling people how they should cut spending cos there living beyond there means remind how much you crashed your company by again my good sir.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Ah, I see.

So what our activist filmmaker says is that because haute finance messed up, the state needs to get its budget together. Awfully expensive to bail out haute finance and all that. This budgetary discipline must be achieved by drastically reducing the taxes for the highest incomes, whilst abolishing governement functioning for working Britons.

I'd tell him just where to shove it, but then I'm not a working Briton asked to please pay even more towards that international clique of City millionaires and billionaires.

You're all being had. Britons are unimaginative shopkeepers who mistakenly think it praiseworthy to live within their means The commendable and hereditary tendency of the disciplined Britons is financial restraint. This natural tendency is exploited by a campaign trying to convince working Britons they are living beyond their means. The state finances are then reformed to reduce the benefits for working Britons, and increase those of the City. Call it a regressive taxation scheme. A reversed Robin Hood.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 11-13-2010 at 03:26.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

I see that you lot aren't actually refuting his thesis. Just coming out with the same old rent a gob/yob response.

I expected better.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I see that you lot aren't actually refuting his thesis. Just coming out with the same old rent a gob/yob response.

I expected better.
    Come on a flat tax in Britain will not work Britain is not some African failed state were the vast bulk of tax payers hide there money.

4.8 trillion is a bogus figure anyway it is adding pensions that have NOT being paid yet, a simple pension levy today will easy cover it and that is what they will do as there is precedent for it they did it here last year plus tax relief on pensions etc will be removed too just like here.

I agree both our countries are spending too much but were spending too much due to a private sector crash, the City types fear the government inflating the debt away not because they want to save Britain it is cos they own the debt.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-13-2010 at 03:16.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know it 'spends more money' because of inflation. So even if a cost looks like it has gone up in 10 years time, if you look at the 'real amount', you will see the budget is not rising above inflation, thus it is getting 'cut'.

Even then, some sectors were getting massive cuts which are significantly lower later on.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    4.8 trillion is a bogus figure anyway it is adding pensions that have NOT being paid yet, a simple pension levy today will easy cover it and that is what they will do there is precedent they did it here last year plus tax relief on pensions etc will be removed too just like here.

I agree both our countries are spending too much but were spending too much due to a private sector crash, the City types fear the government inflating the debt away not because they want to save Britain it is cos they own the debt.
    This, yes.

As for the tax reform, how about starting with dismantling the tax havens that have set up shop on every offshore British dependency, from Guernsey to Man to Gibraltar. That is where your money is. Send a warship and go collect it. Much better than abolishing the healthcare of the elderly and the education of your children.

Obama has levied a tax on financial institutions that have benefitted from a government bailout, and he has threatened the Swiss into submission. But then, nowadays one is being called a Marxist for that, for getting the ordinary taxpayer his money back.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I'm not that good with economy have a recession each end of the month, just surprised you can make a 72 minute documentary about Texas, that's digging, true dedication chapeau

I watched most of the programme and had to say, it was interesting to say the least. Come to think about it, I was going to post this very same topic but it slipped my mind, you read my mind IA!

Anyway, whilst it did raise many valid points, some of the analysis and comparisons were a bit bizarre and it was probably once of the most right-wing programmes in terms of bias I've ever seen. Then again, there's loads of biased left-wing programmes out there so that aspect didn't bother me too much. The example of Hong Kong wasn't really a good one to use but again, I did sort of agree with the fundamental message. The strain on our welfare state means it's almost at breaking point, this will only worsen with the greying of the population. Quite simply, we need to reform the public sector and fast.

The whole public tax model was also interesting. I like how it highlighted that people generally seem to be repulsed about the idea of paying for healthcare and yet don't realise they pay for the NHS with every pay check they receive.
    Last edited by tibilicus; 11-13-2010 at 04:23.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Martin Durkin as gaelige Máirtín O'Duarcain means Pessimist or Gloomy

I am not opposed to cutting spending when we spend too much I just find it hard to swallow Adam Smith as much as the City men in this do. Everyone in that show seemed so in love with laissez-faire well can you guess what it did in Mayo the ancestral home of the Durkin clan who likely left because of a certain trade deficit problem in the middle 19th century. Incidently Mayo was probably the worst hit county by a long shot decreasing from about 388,887 population in 1841 to 274,479 in 1851 a 29% decrease or thereabouts.

"the supply of the home market may safely be left to the foresight of private merchants"

“It must be quite clear that we cannot feed the people… We can at best keep down prices.”

Prime Minister Lord John Russell,
    "It was not the intention at all to import food for the use of the people of Ireland. In fact many merchants had declared that they would not import food at all if it were the intention of the government to do so, and unless the government would give such an assurance"

Chancellor of the Exchequer Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax
    The judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson, that calamity must not be too much mitigated. …The real evil with which we have to contend is not the physical evil of the Famine, but the moral evil of the selfish, perverse and turbulent character of the people"

"mechanism for reducing surplus population"

“Having the country on us for an indefinite number of years.”

Our measures must proceed with as little disturbance as possible of the ordinary course of private trade, which must ever be the chief resource for the subistence of the people, but, coûte que coûte, the people must not, under any circumstances, be allowed to starve

Assistant Secretary to the Treasury Sir Charles Trevelyan, 1st Baronet
    I shiver every time I hear Adam Smith mentioned in that documentary, any Durkins who walked in the door of this building never came out again the mass grave at the back is filled with unknown paupers from miles around.

Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-13-2010 at 14:11.

I find it hilarious how some people believe that government run healthcare, for example, is an expense, while private healthcare generates wealth.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I find it hilarious how some people believe that government run healthcare, for example, is an expense, while private healthcare generates wealth.
    Indeed.

Though, it is argued by the manner it is paid for. Anything driven by taxes is classed as a "loss". The real question is, if the businesses were simply owned by the government, and not paid for by tax but at point of use, like America with extortionate amounts, would it be a wealth generator or a loss?
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Can anybody hook me up with a UK proxy? First Dr. Who clips, now this.

Two world wars people; you owe us free TV!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Why is this thread hating against 'Strike for the South' anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...nBan-Tribesman

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I am the forums most popular, best looking, and most sexualy virile member
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I am the forums most popular, best looking, and most sexualy virile member
    *reference needed

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    *reference needed
    You can ask your sister

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    You can ask your sister
    Maybe I should ask his sister.

Down with dried flowers!

Ask Louis.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Maybe I should ask his sister.

Incest is the best, it's a game for the whole family!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

*reference needed
    It's not that uncommon that men build up a strong relationship with their penis and start identifying. Comes handy.