Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important are lyrics?

Default How important are lyrics?

I was just thinking about the music I listen to, and it struck me that much of it is in languages that I cannot understand, and when I do listen to music in English I generally do not pay attention to the lyrics. I can feel and appreciate the emotion being expressed, but I do not listen to the lyrics.
    I cannot think of a single song that I like for the lyrics. So I am just wondering, how important are the lyrics of the song for you? Do you really care what they are, or do you just like to listen to the instruments and voice and ignore the words?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Default Re: How important are lyrics?

I think the importance of lyrics to a song is dependent entirely on the strength of the instruments (or lack thereof!) accompanying the vocals, the actual message that the song may be trying to say, one's mood at the time and so on.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is a good example of a song that I would listen to for the lyrics, as they are highly emotive and actually hold alot of meaning both for the vocalist and the listener; the accompanying music is sombre and suitable to the pace of the lyrics, even when it approaches the three minute mark and picks up.

Then there's If U Seek Amy, where the lyrics do convey a message but I find that it's both inane and takes a back seat in comparison to the melody itself and the synths. Sure, I'll sing along to it, but I don't take particular stock in what I'm actually listening to. Similarly, there is Madamoiselle Juliette, which is entirely in French; the lyrics certainly have a meaning behind them, but I find that I listen to this more for the catchy beat and the fact that I love the language than the story she is trying to tell, despite the fact I understand every word.

And finally there's stuff like Killing In The Name, where the lyrics are largely nonsensical, the accompanying music isn't anything particularly amazing... and yet there's something about the song that invokes raw emotion and causes people to go nuts. I wouldn't listen to this for the lyrics or the music, but if it comes on when I'm in an alternative club... well, I'll be rocking along to it regardless. :P
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't listen to 'em. This isn't a conscious decision on my part; it's just that I never pick them when listening to a song unless they're either very clear or I'm making a concerted effort to do so. For me, the parts of the song that trigger my emotions is mostly the instrumentalization/tone and the very general meaning of the lyrics.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    I think the importance of lyrics to a song is dependent entirely on the strength of the instruments (or lack thereof!) accompanying the vocals, the actual message that the song may be trying to say, one's mood at the time and so on.
    This.

More often than not, I like a song because of both its music and lyrics. Rarely is it one over the other.
    I try to find meaning in a song. For instance, the song St. Anger is the song I listen to when Im really angry, because it just speaks to me on that level of "Im mad, Im bad, and Im gonna do something about it." Then I usually calm down because all my anger is being channeled and then released through that song.
    In addition, the song Nothing Else Matters is also one that speaks to me. Whenever Im depressed about something/someone, its there to remind me that literally, nothing else matters than living my life the way I want to live it.

But I dont feel that way about that song because of just the lyrics or just the melody. Its both, which is usually the case for every song I listen to.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

I listen to Soulja Boy so yeah...

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

I like hearing the lyrics for most songs. It makes it better.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    I was just thinking about the music I listen to, and it struck me that much of it is in languages that I cannot understand, and when I do listen to music in English I generally do not pay attention to the lyrics. I can feel and appreciate the emotion being expressed, but I do not listen to the lyrics.
    I cannot think of a single song that I like for the lyrics. So I am just wondering, how important are the lyrics of the song for you? Do you really care what they are, or do you just like to listen to the instruments and voice and ignore the words?
    Lyrics are extremely important Vuk if you learn just one song off by heart then you will understand why.

Lyrics often are the only way to express the true feelings of a people or nation they can speak to us in a way that actually articulating the same words in everyday speech cannot.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

I normally listen to the Rock 'n Roll of the 60's-80's, and for the early half, such as the Beatles, you would really only get the song by understanding the lyrics.
    Ever listen to "I am the Walrus" just for the music, or for the lyrics?

For more recent music, most of what I hear is dance music, with the bass pumped up and with only a few words able to be heard. (Taio Cruz- Dynamite and Katy Perry's Firework)

However, I also listen to Eminem, and it is essential to listen to the lyrics in order to understand his meaning.
    "They're just overloaded from the spamgasm."-Askthepizzaguy
    "... Either your as destructive as the most depraved 4 channer or so devious that you can cause the most trouble while acting utterly oblivious as to make us think your too dumb to be doing this intentionally... and the scary thing is I cant help but think the latter."-Greyblades
    "Thefluffyone is the greatest thing to happen to the .org since Beefy187."-Askthepizzaguy
    "TheFluffyOne makes me feel moist."-Askthepizzaguy

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Lyrics typically aren't a big deal for me. If I do take the time to learn/listen to them closely, it's because I want to sing it and actually know what I'm saying.

I only know the lyrics to a few songs. And one of those is mine and my girlfriends song, so that's a given.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Depends on the lyricist, if you don't pay attention the words the likes of Bob Dylan, Richey Edwards, Ian Curtis or Nick Cave you're missing most of the song. Whereas the likes of James Hetfield (sorry hooah), Noel Gallagher etc you can safely ignore.

As you can tell, it really depends on the person.
    I personally find that Bob Dylan is an awful lyricist. For example, I find his song "You aint goin nowhere" is dull and honestly makes me want to puke.
    Totally overrated.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 03-06-2011 at 18:07.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I personally find that Bob Dylan is an awful lyricist. For example, I find his song "You aint goin nowhere" is dull and honestly makes me want to puke.
    That's not really the point hooah, I actually like Metallica and was a big fan in my teenage years, up to Load anyway. The point is, if you listen to songs by the artists I mentioned the lyrics are a huge part of the song, when I listen to Metallica the lyrics are a lot less important than the music (except for One maybe). Though it is down to personal opinion as you say.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    That's not really the point hooah, I actually like Metallica and was a big fan in my teenage years, up to Load anyway. The point is, if you listen to songs by the artists I mentioned the lyrics are a huge part of the song, when I listen to Metallica the lyrics are a lot less important than the music (except for One maybe). Though it is down to personal opinion as you say.
    True for Metallica at least; I literally don't know any lyrics to 'Battery' besides "Mother ******* BATTERY!!!" :P
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Lyrics are extremely important Vuk if you learn just one song off by heart then you will understand why.

Lyrics often are the only way to express the true feelings of a people or nation they can speak to us in a way that actually articulating the same words in everyday speech cannot.
    lol, actually, most lyrics to songs are silly, and I would rather listen to the music and give it my own meaning than think of it along the lines of its silly lyrics. Often times the lyrics are at odds to the emotion being expressed by the music, in which case I consider the music more important.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Oh, in terms of song structure? Then yes, its fair to say that. Dylan and others like that rely on only the lyrics to get the point across while the music is there for setting.
    But its the nature of rock and metal for music and lyrics to go hand in hand, even if music is sometimes pulling the lyrics along.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Bob Dylan, folk era? Bob Dylan, post-folk/electric era? Bob Dylan, Christian era?

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" is genius. Same goes for "Like a Rolling Stone". But if you listen to "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window", you'll find that the lyrics don't make any real sense. Then again, it's not one of his better known songs. I saw "No Direction Home" a couple of days ago, and Joan Baez mentioned that she recorded a song Dylan wrote, and he couldn't even remember writing it. He wrote a lot. But to base your opinion of Dylan's work on "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is to base your opinion of The Beatles on "Obladi-Oblada", or your opinion of The Who on "Can't Explain". Those aren't really the songs really worth remembering, are they? They're not half-bad, but they're not brilliant either.

Listen to "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Crash on the Levee" or "Like a Rolling Stone". Dylan manages to bring some very cool messages across. They're just not really that simple or obvious.
    This space intentionally left blank.

"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is just one example. I didnt feel the need to list of a bunch of his songs, and needless to say, Ive heard many of them. My carpool driver loves the guy and insists we listen to him every day.

But as said, its really a matter of opinion.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Arab View Post
    But if you listen to "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window", you'll find that the lyrics don't make any real sense.
    It was written solely to be a cool Hendrix cover:

"This Video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country."

SONY OWNS JIMI HENDRIX!?!?!
    "... Either your as destructive as the most depraved 4 channer or so devious that you can cause the most trouble while acting utterly oblivious as to make us think your too dumb to be doing this intentionally... and the scary thing is I cant help but think the latter."-Greyblades
    "Thefluffyone is the greatest thing to happen to the .org since Beefy187."-Askthepizzaguy

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

lol, actually, most lyrics to songs are silly, and I would rather listen to the music and give it my own meaning than think of it along the lines of its silly lyrics. Often times the lyrics are at odds to the emotion being expressed by the music, in which case I consider the music more important.
    Thats cos most stuff today people are listening to is rubbish, I'm talking about actual songs with real lyrics.

Have you ever actually sat and listened to someone singing an unaccompanied ballad, the power of lyrics far outstrips music. I have lost count of the amount of times I have sat and listened to songs being sung at family occasions both myself and others, I can assure the power of the lyrics of a song can change the mood of a gathering instantly.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 03-06-2011 at 19:12.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

It was written solely to be a cool Hendrix cover:
    Lies. Listen to his version with The Hawks (The Band), it's really cool.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Lies. Listen to his version with The Hawks (The Band), it's really cool.
    Nah, I can't take anybody who likes The Who seriously.

Nah, I can't take anybody who likes The Who seriously.
    AGHSDUJSHDUCKJHBII!!!!

NO.
    INVALID.
    WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Thats cos most stuff today people are listening to is rubbish, I'm talking about actual songs with real lyrics.

Have you ever actually sat and listened to someone singing an unaccompanied ballad, the power of lyrics far outstrips music. I have lost count of the amount of times I have sat and listened to songs being sung at family occasions both myself and others, I can assure the power of the lyrics of a song can change the mood of a gathering instantly.
    hmmm...maybe, but I have never heard a song that was able to really affect me with its lyrics. Maybe I am just not looking in the right places.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

im a linguist... so i find lyrics very important. when i listen to music i listen for the lyrics. but i can appreciate total instrumental music as well. for me music doesnt need lyrics per se but if u do have lyrics you should have good lyrics not just crap.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Totally overrated.
    the guy is a genius. his early lyrics are insanely good. and most of them also just plain insane.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    the guy is a genius. his early lyrics are insanely good. and most of them also just plain insane.
    As been said about this topic many times over, it depends on the person.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Bob Dylan, folk era? Bob Dylan, post-folk/electric era? Bob Dylan, Christian era?

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" is genius. Same goes for "Like a Rolling Stone". But if you listen to "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window", you'll find that the lyrics don't make any real sense. Then again, it's not one of his better known songs. I saw "No Direction Home" a couple of days ago, and Joan Baez mentioned that she recorded a song Dylan wrote, and he couldn't even remember writing it. He wrote a lot. But to base your opinion of Dylan's work on "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is to base your opinion of The Beatles on "Obladi-Oblada", or your opinion of The Who on "Can't Explain". Those aren't really the songs really worth remembering, are they? They're not half-bad, but they're not brilliant either.

Listen to "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Crash on the Levee" or "Like a Rolling Stone". Dylan manages to bring some very cool messages across. They're just not really that simple or obvious.
    add to that list Mr Tambourine Man! that song is awesome. or If you see her Say hello.

my dad has a book with all the lyrics of bob dylan and sometimes i just read it. some songs are pure poetry.

anyway in the case of dylan lyrics are most important. i remember when i was small i would force my dad to turn off dylan when he listened to it. i found it very ugly music. but when i grew up and start to understand what he was saying i really appreciated it. now when i listen to music, which isnt very often tho, i listen to dylan most of the time.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 03-06-2011 at 23:15.

We do not sow.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

hmmm...maybe, but I have never heard a song that was able to really affect me with its lyrics. Maybe I am just not looking in the right places.
    Probably.
    While I'm usually not that caring about the lyrics, but often treats it more like a type of instrument, there are parts of songs that do stand out and affects me. It's very rare for it to be a whole song though.

But the big boon about the lyrics is that it's definitly the easiest part to join in with. Singing the lyrics beats humming quite a bit.

Just to check if there might be any connection, how are org members seeing poetry? I almost never find it good and got no real interest in it.
    Was thinking that those who finds lyrics to be very important, might be enjoying poetry more.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

It depends. When I listen to love songs or songs about the realities of life, the lyrics are just as important (in many cases, even more important) than the beat/instrumental. But for the party songs, I just want a catchy hook and a shiny beat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast