Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World's Religions

Default The World's Religions

You learn something new every day. Recently, I saw this world religion map posted which goes into extensive detail (very large image).

https://i.imgur.com/rzv85dn.png

Few things I learned:

1. African Christians seem to be mostly Protestant, I thought Catholicism was dominant across the entire southern half.

2. That large blob of "no religion" in eastern Germany as well as Estonia.

3. New Guinea (the island) is more diverse than I thought as well.

4. The pockets of Islam in Albania(?) and Bosnia were more dominating than I thought.

5. There are tiny enclaves of Roman Catholicism majority in the oddest of places. Does anyone have any knowledge of why?

From the creator of the map:

Pre-emptively answering some questions:

1) This maps shows nominal religion as self-determined by individuals answering census questions, surveys, etc. This does not necessarily indicate their de facto religion; for example, someone may call themselves a Catholic for cultural reasons but not believe in God while another may say they have no religion yet believe in some divine or supernatural force.

2) Islam could not be divided as Christianity was due to data limitations. Most Islamic countries do not ask about specific sects in their surveys and censuses.

3) Scandanavia uses official state church data

4) The Chilean claim of Antarctica is colored based on Chilean census data for [Villa Las Estrellas](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Las_Estrellas)

5) The Assyrian population of the Nineveh Plains in Iraq may no longer exist due to ISIS.

Link to where I found this: http://tinyurl.com/ll9pk95
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 04-22-2015 at 08:26.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: The World's Religions

If their census polls did not include a Gah! option they are not a scientifically valid poll according to the Org traditions.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Members thankful for this post (5):

In Western Ukraine (Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk and south of Ternopil regions) the majority of population are Greek Catholics, i.e. the nominal head of their church is the Pope, yet otherwise (in rites, calendar and non-Latin language of service) they follow orthodox practices. Where are we to place them? The map, however, shows Lviv region as a catholic one and the other two mentioned are branded orthodox. I don't think it's accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I learned there is a majority-Hindu region in Oman, which seems strange. Guest workers maybe?

The little red dots in southern India will be to do with the Saint Thomas Christian churches. India was evangelised very early in Christian history, their claim to have been evangelised by the Apostle Thomas is not impossible. Their liturgy is still in Syriac, its a remnant of a very antiquated form of Christianity that once covered much of the Christian world.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    In Western Ukraine (Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk and south of Ternopil regions) the majority of population are Greek Catholics, i.e. the nominal head of their church is the Pope, yet otherwise (in rites, calendar and non-Latin language of service) they follow orthodox practices. Where are we to place them? The map, however, shows Lviv region as a catholic one and the other two mentioned are branded orthodox. I don't think it's accurate.
    It says it is based on their self-identification in official census data and polls, are you saying that people in Western Ukraine are mostly liars?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The green blob must be stopped.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    It says it is based on their self-identification in official census data and polls, are you saying that people in Western Ukraine are mostly liars?
    There is a whole world of difference between Roman Catholics and Greek Catholics (the latter being catholics only in name and Orthodox in everything else), so I don't know if the authors of the polls phrased the poll question correctly or if they interpreted the results adequately if they had "Greek Catholic" for an answer. I would opt for the latter as the reason of inaccuracies I spotted.

There is a whole world of difference between Roman Catholics and Greek Catholics (the latter being catholics only in name and Orthodox in everything else), so I don't know if the authors of the polls phrased the poll question correctly or if they interpreted the results adequately if they had "Greek Catholic" for an answer. I would opt for the latter as the reason of inaccuracies I spotted.
    The legend says that red is for both Roman and Eastern Catholics. He lumped the two together, but it does take into account that they are Greek catholics.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Thank you for this map. It is really nicely made and I find it very interesting.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    For anyone wondering...This is why I posted this here and not the front room.

Blog Entries

1. African Christians seem to be mostly Protestant, I thought Catholicism was dominant across the entire southern half.
    A lot appears to bear the marks of history; if you look closely at places like the nambia/angola border and the mosabique coast you'll see a general impression of where the protestant british and dutch colonies bordered the catholic portugese, spanish and french, evidently the results of each nation's missionary work still survives.

It's fascinating seeing how the different areas reflect history; see the big amount of muslims in the east african coast, a lot of it is likely remenant of the indian ocean trade routes, before the europeans entered the stage it was dominated by muslim traders IIRC. The catholic patch around louisiana, remenant of it being a major port in the north american french colonies, the carribbean islands share the religion of thier former colonisers. The protestant patches in burma is odd but probably a remnent of the Raj.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-23-2015 at 00:36.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    The legend says that red is for both Roman and Eastern Catholics. He lumped the two together, but it does take into account that they are Greek catholics.
    I think this is misleading for those who don't know the difference between the two since they are definitely as different as the catholics and the orthodox.

It's just a matter of expedience. They don't merit their own category for a map of this size, after all.

I don't see that there was a better way to typologize religion for such a map without just having Christianity vs. Islam vs. "Eastern" vs. No/Other, or literally creating the most detailed atlas of religious geography ever.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Husar 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I think this is misleading for those who don't know the difference between the two since they are definitely as different as the catholics and the orthodox.
    From an Ecumenical point of view you have Roman (Western) and Eastern Catholics, both actually being Roman of course. Then you have the Greek (Roman) Orthodox Church. I could complain that Anglicanism should have it's own category too, as it's neither Protestant nor Papal.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    From an Ecumenical point of view you have Roman (Western) and Eastern Catholics, both actually being Roman of course. Then you have the Greek (Roman) Orthodox Church. I could complain that Anglicanism should have it's own category too, as it's neither Protestant nor Papal.
    Yet neither of these are taken into consideration. The map needs improvement, IMHO.

Also each Pentecostal or other free protestant church is neither catholic nor protestant even though they do align with protestants on some issues. Yet there are important differences that are not shown on the map and I know at least 5 churches just in NRW with slightly different views which should all have their own colour. You cannot just throw the hippie pentecostals in with the free church that takes the bible even more litterally and they are both not compatible with the free church that teaches that Jesus didn't turn water into wine because alcohol is bad and where the older women all wear a headscarf to the service because the bible says women should cover their head. It's a completely pointless map if they don't all get a colour of their own.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

I wonder how did they find France was Catholic country? All churches are decaying due to the lack of interest...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Somebody set us up the bomb.

All your base are belong to us.
    You have no chance to survive make your time.

I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    I wonder how did they find France was Catholic country? All churches are decaying due to the lack of interest...
    Similar to Scandinavia I suppose. It's state church legacy that causes the colours here.
    Last edited by Ironside; 04-23-2015 at 22:29.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

If you read the legend it says that it's "nominal" religion, so that just means the French would rather be put in the "Catholic" rather than the " no religion" box.

More to the point - there's no Shia/Sunni divide there.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    More to the point - there's no Shia/Sunni divide there.
    See the quote in the OP, point #2.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised florida isnt at least partly catholic considering it's spanish history. What's the other religion block in the western inland USA?

I assume the catholic area around new york is from the influx of european immigrants during the late 19th and early 20th centuries?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-24-2015 at 04:13.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I'm surprised florida isnt at least partly catholic considering it's spanish history. What's the other religion block in the western inland USA?

I assume the catholic area around new york is from the influx of european immigrants during the late 19th and early 20th centuries?
    The brown is Mormon territory AKA Utah. The author classified them as "other" lol

"so that just means the French would rather be put in the "Catholic" rather than the " no religion" box." Not in my experience, but... France is proudly atheist.
    And if I have to believe some "studies", Buddhism is the religion that grows in France (even temples are built). The others are more or less declining, Islam being kept alive and kicking by emigration, as Catholicism by immigration as well, from different parts of the world indeed...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

"so that just means the French would rather be put in the "Catholic" rather than the " no religion" box." Not in my experience, but... France is proudly atheist.
    And if I have to believe some "studies", Buddhism is the religion that grows in France (even temples are built). The others are more or less declining, Islam being kept alive and kicking by emigration, as Catholicism by immigration as well, from different parts of the world indeed...
    They are proudly atheist when Muslims are not around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/ma...ment.html?_r=0

"They are proudly atheist when Muslims are not around." If you believe the Front National propaganda... And even the fascists from the Front National claimed to be for separation between State and Religion. True a fringe of it is extreme-catholic, but if you want to have a chance to be elected in France, you just don't claim to be the follower of any religion. You might, it s a maximum, refer to the so-called Christian roots of France, but not much more. Again, the reality is nobody goes to churches...

If you believe the Front National propaganda...
    I do! I do!

"I do! I do!" Nothing I can do then... You have people you love looser, and fascists are certainly looser.

Joke apart, it is always what amazed me with the extreme-right ideologies... They worship strength and lost all the wars they started and still think their ideology is worth of something...

Again, the reality is nobody goes to churches...
    Claiming that NOBODY goes to church in France is overgeneralization or gross exaggeration. Especially from the one who doesn't reside there.

"Claiming that NOBODY goes to church in France is overgeneralization or gross exaggeration." No, it is a figure of speech, a poetic interpretation. One day, you will get it... Err, that is a gross exaggeration, sorry.

While it is true that most French identify as Catholic, or are identified as such by bureaucratic derivations, Brenus is basically correct.

From Wiki:

According to the Eurobarometer Poll conducted in 2010,[3] 27% of French citizens responded that "they believe there is a God", 33% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force", and 40% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force". This makes France one of the more secular countries in the world.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast