Thread: Had enough of Gordon?

Default Had enough of Gordon?

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: Had enough of Gordon?

Random InsaneApache thread generator:
    Google search for "Gordon Brown".
    Choose "News"
    Link to first article on list.
    Voila! You have your own InsaneApache thread.

Seriously, I'm close enough to the Tories on a number of positions that I wouldn't be ashamed to vote for them (although I favour Lib Dem), but this shtick got boring ages ago. Go look up some stories on bungled robberies and mangled penises or something, like the rest of us.

Boy in bizarre 'fish in penis' accident

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Random InsaneApache thread generator:
    Google search for "Gordon Brown".
    Choose "News"
    Link to first article on list.
    Voila! You have your own InsaneApache thread.

Seriously, I'm close enough to the Tories on a number of positions that I wouldn't be ashamed to vote for them (although I favour Lib Dem), but this shtick got boring ages ago. Go look up some stories on bungled robberies and mangled penises or something, like the rest of us.

Boy in bizarre 'fish in penis' accident
    It just got alot more exciting with the release of the budget, and it will never get boring until the idiot buggers off.
    Last edited by Incongruous; 04-25-2009 at 08:38.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Default the Magyar View Post
    It just got alot more exciting with the release of the budget, and it will never get boring until the idiot buggers off.
    Yeah, but does every conversation have to be about the same subject? Couldn't IA dot his anti-Brown rants with some other stories, just for variety's sake?

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

The only petition that will count is the one you get on or before 3rd June next year.

EDIT: Let's try and move this thread onto more constructive ground. It seems inconceivable that New Labour will win the forthcoming election, and they are imploding so impressively that a hung parliament is pretty unlikely as well.

So, Conservative supporters must be looking forward to a new term in government, but in the direst of economic circumstances. What do you think of George Osborne as Chancellor? Frankly, he looks like a lightweight and seriously out of his depth. Of course, anyone would look competent next to the current Chancellor (What on earth are you doing, Darling?) but Osborne looks like an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone think Cameron will appoint Ken Clarke as the election approaches?
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 04-25-2009 at 15:02. Reason: Further thoughts?
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

How did tht fish get up there?!
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Labour can win the election. The electoral map still favours Labour - the seat boundaries etc, it needs a big swing to the Tories - 8-12 points - for them to gain a 50 seat majority. If the Tories get a 4-5 point win in the polls, as I think they will, it will be close, maybe a hung parliament. I still hold out for a slim Labour majority, it can happen.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    The only petition that will count is the one you get on or before 3rd June next year.

EDIT: Let's try and move this thread onto more constructive ground. It seems inconceivable that New Labour will win the forthcoming election, and they are imploding so impressively that a hung parliament is pretty unlikely as well.

So, Conservative supporters must be looking forward to a new term in government, but in the direst of economic circumstances. What do you think of George Osborne as Chancellor? Frankly, he looks like a lightweight and seriously out of his depth. Of course, anyone would look competent next to the current Chancellor (What on earth are you doing, Darling?) but Osborne looks like an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone think Cameron will appoint Ken Clarke as the election approaches?
    I keep wondering this. It seems that Clarke now knows he is too old to be leader, therefore he represents less of a threat to Cameron. With that in mind, he might be the next actual Chancellor.

There was a poll on this a few months ago, irrc Clarke as Chancellor was very popular with the electorate.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Labour can win the election. The electoral map still favours Labour - the seat boundaries etc, it needs a big swing to the Tories - 8-12 points - for them to gain a 50 seat majority. If the Tories get a 4-5 point win in the polls, as I think they will, it will be close, maybe a hung parliament. I still hold out for a slim Labour majority, it can happen.
    The Tories have a twenty point lead in the polls. On election day that would count fro at least 10 points.

Why would you want a continuation of Labour anyway. It's been pretty conclusively proved that the growth we have experienced was all borrowed money for borrowed time. Blair and Brown landed us in this hole. If Labour win the election we'll be stuck with Brown for another four years.

With that i mind, I will seriously consider emigrating; and from me that means I consider England a writeoff.

A failed state.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Right, while I don't paticularly want Labour to win... I don't want the conservatives to win either... for one i think Brown at least somewhat half heartedly believes in his policys... Cameron seems a shiny plastic smile on the tory version of Tony Blair...

I think Labour could use a loss to sort itself out....

A conservative win would be bad but i wouldn't be terribly dissapointed... at least not compared to what i would have been had the torys won a few years back...the partys are so similar i doubt there would be too much practical difference...

I will be giving my vote to and supporting the Lib Dems... they are on the right side for most of the issues, object to our civil liberties being taken and actually somewhat seem truer to themselves than the other 2 partys... i have heard them be accused of being say anything's to get elected... these days im thinking its more true of the two main parties..
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    The Tories have a twenty point lead in the polls. On election day that would count fro at least 10 points.

Why would you want a continuation of Labour anyway. It's been pretty conclusively proved that the growth we have experienced was all borrowed money for borrowed time. Blair and Brown landed us in this hole. If Labour win the election we'll be stuck with Brown for another four years.

With that i mind, I will seriously consider emigrating; and from me that means I consider England a writeoff.

A failed state.
    I want a Labour govt to continue because it will not cut the budgets of key services as much as the Tories, it will target cuts so they affect the poor the least - unlike the Tories. Not to mention the fact that some Labour policies are now starting to hit closer to the mark, now they believe they are likely to lose the next election and in the current climate, we are seeing a Labour govt far less scared of big business and tackling the problems profiteering causes in society - coupled with continuing and further action on egalitarian measures. The Tories will not do this. What the Tories will do is instead of trying to remold the regulatory system into a fairer more sane sctructure, they will fight tooth and claw for the current regulatory system to be upheld - I do not want that.

And it has been far from proven that it was - a lovely Tory soundbite if ever I saw it, you been reading their published notes? - borrowed money for borrowed time, comparatively we were not huge borrowers, for thta look at the States and Germany.

I would quite happily take Brown for another 5 years over cameron for 10, which is what the next election is all about. And if you wanna emigrate..... second thoughts better not say that, flaming and what not.
    Last edited by JAG; 04-27-2009 at 15:19.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    Right, while I don't paticularly want Labour to win... I don't want the conservatives to win either... for one i think Brown at least somewhat half heartedly believes in his policys... Cameron seems a shiny plastic smile on the tory version of Tony Blair...

I think Labour could use a loss to sort itself out....

A conservative win would be bad but i wouldn't be terribly dissapointed... at least not compared to what i would have been had the torys won a few years back...the partys are so similar i doubt there would be too much practical difference...
    It would mean a different set of managers in charge of a Thatcherite goivernment.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    I will be giving my vote to and supporting the Lib Dems... they are on the right side for most of the issues, object to our civil liberties being taken and actually somewhat seem truer to themselves than the other 2 partys... i have heard them be accused of being say anything's to get elected... these days im thinking its more true of the two main parties..
    That's why I was flabbergasted by IA using the police abuse as a stick with which to beat Labour, as the Tory party he supports is exactly the same, only with a different set of managers allowing the police abuse. If he genuinely believed in civil liberties as a reason to vote against Labour, he'd be voting Lib Dem, not Tory.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

It would mean a different set of managers in charge of a Thatcherite goivernment.

Pretty much, the one main difference i think of between the partys is some of the backbenchers, im figuring labour have one or two old fashioned leftys hanging about there and probably more so with the tory backbenchers.

When it does come to civil liberties and general law and order issues they are so much more sensible than the other partys... i wonder if they did get close to power if they would abandon thier principles to appeal to the frightened middle class vote...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

At this point I'm in favour of massive public cuts, the NHS in particular does not offer any kind of value for money. For the amounts spent improvement has been scant and in fact important standards, such as basic hygine, have slipped and not improved since.

This country produces mainly banking products, so either we let the bankers make money, or we go broke.

You can go on and on about the Tin, Copper and Coal under the hills but in the end it's not profitable without slave labour.

We're in a financial hole, that means pain to get back into the black (or anywhere near), that means the Tories. Labour have produced a decade of budgets and this is the first one to be remotely realistic.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    I want a Labour govt to continue because it will not cut the budgets of key services as much as the Tories, it will target cuts so they affect the poor the least - unlike the Tories. Not to mention the fact that some Labour policies are now starting to hit closer to the mark, now they believe they are likely to lose the next election and in the current climate, we are seeing a Labour govt far less scared of big business and tackling the problems profiteering causes in society - coupled with continuing and further action on egalitarian measures. The Tories will not do this. What the Tories will do is instead of trying to remold the regulatory system into a fairer more sane sctructure, they will fight tooth and claw for the current regulatory system to be upheld - I do not want that.

And it has been far from proven that it was - a lovely Tory soundbite if ever I saw it, you been reading their published notes? - borrowed money for borrowed time, comparatively we were not huge borrowers, for thta look at the States and Germany.

I would quite happily take Brown for another 5 years over cameron for 10, which is what the next election is all about. And if you wanna emigrate..... second thoughts better not say that, flaming and what not.
    The budget has included a 50% tax rate. When this was scrapped overall taxes increased. An unpleasant fact for those who are itching to tax the rich and just need a semi-legitimate excuse.

First it was massive borrowing to repaid the damage the Tories had done.
    Then it was massive spending as an "investment" in the country's future - managing to devalue degrees for example.
    Now it's finger pointing that although our finances are heading down the drain we're not the worst!!! Yes, there's no real plan, yes it'll take until 2032 by optimistic estimates and yes there's nothing saved from a decade of boom.

The regulatory system. Is this the banking one? The one Gordon devised? Splitting powers between three different institutions? Ah... Yet the Tories will for reasons unspecified want to hold on to this...

Labour has had ten years of loving up to Big Business. Due to the fault of everyone else except Gordon Big Business crashed and has been nationalised. Gordon now is thinking of selling off Norther Rock for a loss of a mere £1bn. True to form I guess - he sold the gold off at almost a historic low after telling the market he was going to dump it.

What egalitarian measures are these? Sadly they weren't ones that work by increasing levels of employment in the Private sector.

Stay here? A devaluing currency, blossoming levels of public debt and talk that guilts might not be sold, increasing red tape surrounding, well most things to be honest - who wouldn't want to remain part of this???

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

In the interest of balence, there's also a petition supporting the Great Leader. Unfortunatley I can't link to it as the comments are a bit ribald to say the least.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."