Thread: National Honor Society

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default National Honor Society

i got in!!!!!

dont know how, but i have over a 3.7 gpa, so im in!
    and i thought i wouldnt make it this year...

permit me to do a jig!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Default Re: National Honor Society

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    i got in!!!!!

dont know how, but i have over a 3.7 gpa, so im in!
    and i thought i wouldnt make it this year...

permit me to do a jig!

Had to google it to find out what it was, sounds like your a smart guy.

gratz!

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

ooo yes i should have mentioned:
    The National Honor Society (NHS) and National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) are the nation's premier organizations established to recognize outstanding high school and middle level students. More than just an honor roll, NHS and NJHS serve to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character (and Citizenship for NJHS).
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-19-2009 at 23:07.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well done!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

So what do you get out of being part of it anyway?

it looks amazing on your transcript, and you need to do 60 hours of community service.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Of course, a 3.7 GPA and 60 volunteer hours look good regardless of whether or not you got into NHS. Personally I find the organization to be over rated and I didn't bother joining even though my grades were high enough.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

well in my high school you dont have much of a choice, but i do think being in the NHS regardless looks better than the 3.7 gpa and the 60 hours of CS by themselves.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    it looks amazing on your transcript, and you need to do 60 hours of community service.

Sounds like your looking at a good college then. Don't really know what a good GPA would be as we have a completely different system over here in the UK but are you looking at an Ivy league place or something?

well my gpa right now is 3.94. before, in my first semester, it was 3.61. talk about improvements.
    about colleges, its too early. im only a sophomore. but i want to go to Princeton like my father.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-19-2009 at 23:37.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Sounds like your looking at a good college then. Don't really know what a good GPA would be as we have a completely different system over here in the UK but are you looking at an Ivy league place or something?
    4.0 would be straight A's - ie, the best attainable GPA. Although when I was in high school, taking honors and/or AP courses could get you a higher one.... not sure how all that works though, its been too long.

Great job Hooah - I was in the NHS, too, and it does help with college admission. You'll probably land a nice scholarship if you keep your grades up. I'm in my senior year and I haven't paid a dime for college yet...

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Congrats Hooah!!!!

My high school grades were medicore. Hence me being broke.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

You need 60 hours? We only need 12 a year here. We don't let sophmores in ethier.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Congrats Hooah!!!!

My high school grades were medicore. Hence me being broke.
    Welcome to the club.

I all but sailed through high school. I actually gave effort in... let's see... um... 3 classes, by my count. End result? 3.0. I'm doing a considerably better job now that I'm actually in College, but I do wish I'd gotten more than the weeny amount of scholarship $ I got. Granted, I don't probably need as much as you will, Hooah, if you're going to Princeton, as I'm at a state UNI.

Congrats. Keep the grades up.
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 04-20-2009 at 02:59.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

AP course are a wonder and worth every penny. Most colleges will accept AP courses as credits, which allowed me to basically knock off half a year of very expensive Uni time. Fantastic stuff.

Do they still have the National Merit Scholarships? That was the thing to get when I was a teenager (this was around the time of Waterloo, mind). It wasn't a whole lot of money, but you earned it by pure merit, and as you say, it looked good on your application.

Yeah, its based off your PSAT scores, and are rewarded in senior year.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Congrats hooahguy! That's very honorable indeed. That's me (a freshman) looking at a NHS student.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Do they still have the National Merit Scholarships? That was the thing to get when I was a teenager (this was around the time of Waterloo, mind). It wasn't a whole lot of money, but you earned it by pure merit, and as you say, it looked good on your application.
    They certainly do, but the awards are granted by individual institutions which cooperate with the National Merit program, not by the program itself (at least as I understand it). National Merit combined with a nice scholarship from the school got me through a private college with no debt. I'm a big fan!

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseikhaan View Post
    Welcome to the club.

I all but sailed through high school. I actually gave effort in... let's see... um... 3 classes, by my count. End result? 3.0. I'm doing a considerably better job now that I'm actually in College, but I do wish I'd gotten more than the weeny amount of scholarship $ I got. Granted, I don't probably need as much as you will, Hooah, if you're going to Princeton, as I'm at a state UNI.

Nerds.

All I did was show up for the exams. What you spent 3 years on, I did in a couple of weeks(could've taken less if they allowed more than one exam per day...)

I opened one book, the science one, 10 minutes before the exam. Flicked through the index, then took the exam...

Alright, my grades are mediocre, somewhere around 4(the range is 1 to 6 here, 6 being the highest) I believe, or just under. But meh, I've already decided where to go and what to study next, so I don't need any higher grades. I'm going to study to be a teacher, and a 3 is more than enough to enter that. Also, due to the high drop-out ratio in that field, I'll probably be able to pick and choose any school for my second year, although I'll probably stay here the entire time...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

your range is 1-6? ours in 1-5, so a 4 on the AP would be pretty good.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    4.0 would be straight A's - ie, the best attainable GPA. Although when I was in high school, taking honors and/or AP courses could get you a higher one.... not sure how all that works though, its been too long.

Great job Hooah - I was in the NHS, too, and it does help with college admission. You'll probably land a nice scholarship if you keep your grades up. I'm in my senior year and I haven't paid a dime for college yet...
    not really true. if you have all A+'s, you have higher than a 4.0.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

wow... you guys are members of the National Health Service?

but seriously well done I think... proving that american stereotype wrong!

I think I'm a member of NAGTY, but now I'm 16 so I dunno anymore... but they used to send so much rubbish to me... I'm glad I set all their emails to junk.
    Last edited by The New Che Guevara; 04-20-2009 at 22:44.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    AP course are a wonder and worth every penny. Most colleges will accept AP courses as credits, which allowed me to basically knock off half a year of very expensive Uni time. Fantastic stuff.
    QFT
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Congrats... I just remember all those horrible community service hours I had to contribute.

Princeton is a nice goal, but I've found the vast majority of ivy league graduates (that I've encountered) to be real jerks. (had to think of a mild word to put here)
    Last edited by Ice; 04-23-2009 at 22:06.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

What's the point on using letters to express grades if you'll end up using numbers anyway?

Here, the highest score is 10 (or 100 depends in which school you are).

In case someone wants to know my average...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It's 9.8 (or 98)

But why do you have to do so many social work hours as a "reward"?
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 04-24-2009 at 03:24.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Nerds.

All I did was show up for the exams. What you spent 3 years on, I did in a couple of weeks(could've taken less if they allowed more than one exam per day...)

I opened one book, the science one, 10 minutes before the exam. Flicked through the index, then took the exam...

Alright, my grades are mediocre, somewhere around 4(the range is 1 to 6 here, 6 being the highest) I believe, or just under. But meh, I've already decided where to go and what to study next, so I don't need any higher grades. I'm going to study to be a teacher, and a 3 is more than enough to enter that. Also, due to the high drop-out ratio in that field, I'll probably be able to pick and choose any school for my second year, although I'll probably stay here the entire time...
    The slacker motto, most possible reward for least possible effort!

Its the line I usually follow...
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 04-24-2009 at 05:46.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    The slacker motto, most possible reward for least possible effort!

Its the line I usually follow...
    Honestly, if it's one thing I don't care about then it's grades. As long as I'm learning, who cares? I have my future education plans ready, and I have the grades I need. There's no point in having higher grades than I need, is there?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseikhaan View Post
    Welcome to the club.

Heh, my grades were pretty poor as well in HS and undergrad. I think I ended up with a 2.9 in both. However, I've always been very good at standardized testing, which helped immensely for college applications. Qualifying as an international student helped a bit too. Amusingly, despite the 2.9 GPA in undergrad, I graduated with honors due to high marks on my thesis. Since no one cares about college grades after college, my resume will forever show only that I graduated with a "BA in History with Honors."