Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of strategy ........

Default A bit of strategy ........

I am currently playing as the Romani and are at war with Epiros and Aedui. I invaded Segestica, Dalminion and Epidamnos. The Epiros war machine has gone into overdrive and they have retaken Segestica, now they want Epidamnos and so far I have repelled three sieges. They have besieged again with a full size stack and this time I WILL DIE! I have an army in training in Southern Italy, but it will not be ready in time.
    Epiros are not happy in a ceasefire, as they have me between a rock and a hard place.

I can offer the settlement to them plus 22k and I get to save 2 Roman Generals. What would you do?

In Gaul my Arverni allies have faultered against the Aedui, therefore I will want to use my full militiary power to push the Barbarian scum back. I intend to fully withdraw my forces from Epidamnos and Dalminion for now.
    Last edited by Scipio Asiaticus; 04-21-2009 at 14:06. Reason: Correction

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Default Re: A bit of strategy ........

Short answer: Nothing. This is what happens when Romaioi Barbaroi mess with Hellenes. Just pray they'll show mercy to you (which they probably won't, by the way).

Maion
    ~Maion

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Ofcourse maion, ofcourse.

Pay no attention to the post above me. As for what u can do, my best bet is to lose the city with the generals, raise another legion to defend the pass near patavium. Then when u have taken enough of gaul, attack to defend your honor.

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Just pray they'll show mercy to you (which they probably won't, by the way).

Maion
    Oh, you mean like how Flaminius showed mercy to the armies of Philip V?

As for what to do, I agree with Vasiliyi - the Romani do not back down. They would never surrender, and when that army was destroyed, they would build another one. Also, I'd recommend fighting that Epeirote army sooner rather than later - that way you can take more of them with you and hopefully there will be fewer to fight when you send your next army. -M
    Last edited by Mulceber; 04-21-2009 at 14:34.
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post

As for what to do, I agree with Vasiliyi - the Romani do not back down. They would let never surrender, and when that army was destroyed, they would build another one. -M
    Yep, and just like Pyrrhos showed mercy to the Romaioi.

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 04-21-2009 at 14:37.
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Yep, and just like Pyrrhos showed mercy to the Romaioi.

Maion
    You indeed seem a bit confused.

I agree with everyone else... You should try to defeat the most of the Epirote army as you can, and try to regain the city a few years later... If Eperios conquered a large part of greece, i suggest that you send 2 or even 3 legions against them, take 3 cities at once, so that you may have a large stronghold in greece.

Before you do that, try conquering the cisalpine gaul, build forts on every entry point and leave a legion in the po valley to defend any intrusion by the barbarians....

That's what i did in my romani campaing a long long time ago
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    You indeed seem a bit confused

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    Don't forget Pydna! It was pretty mercifull to kill only 25000 Macedonians.

Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 04-21-2009 at 16:23.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Yeah, that's the battle I was thinking of... -M
    My Balloons:

Philip V => Battle of Cynoscephalae
    Perseus => Battle of Pydna

Can't remember which battle the Macedonians won though....

;)
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Ah my mistake. I was conflating two different wars between the Macedonians and Romans...I really need to study the Hellenistic wars more... -M
    My Balloons:

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Retreat all troops from all fronts, land your armies near Pella, take it, enslave it raze every building that can be destroyed (including the royal tombs) then do it again until there are 400 people left. Then leave it to rebel and people will achieve nothing there for ages... Then make a screenshot of the stone age ruins called "Pella" and send it to Maion together with the battle reviews of Cynoscephalae and Pydna

Now for the serious part, could you post a map of your empire, to fully understand your situation?

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-21-2009 at 17:57.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Oh easy, all you really need to do is surrender, rename your capital back to Barbaropolis. and promise to send a tenth of your healthy population to Hellas every year as tax. And rest assured, they will not be used as slaves...

Maion is just pretending to be scary and threatening, Hellenes are actually very tolerant and merciful people.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(>^_^;)> move it! Member Hotseat_User's Avatar

these things are getting scary
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

Something Witty Goes Here Member Zeibek's Avatar

2 FMs are worth nothing, I'm not an RP'er so in most cases I don't give a crap. Retreat, get your northern border sorted out and then go rape the Epirot heartland while their armies are conquering some backwater barbarian provinces.

A red 'bloon for a red sig from Aemilius Paulus

I agree. The key is to do the most damage where they are least able to defend. Attacking Illyria ends up, imho, being a war of attrition. I'd send a fleet with a legion or two to attack wherever the Epeirotes are poorly defended. -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Asiaticus View Post
    I am currently playing as the Romani and are at war with Epiros and Aedui. I invaded Segestica, Dalminion and Epidamnos. The Epiros war machine has gone into overdrive and they have retaken Segestica, now they want Epidamnos and so far I have repelled three sieges. They have besieged again with a full size stack and this time I WILL DIE! I have an army in training in Southern Italy, but it will not be ready in time.
    Epiros are not happy in a ceasefire, as they have me between a rock and a hard place.

I can offer the settlement to them plus 22k and I get to save 2 Roman Generals. What would you do?

In Gaul my Arverni allies have faultered against the Aedui, therefore I will want to use my full militiary power to push the Barbarian scum back. I intend to fully withdraw my forces from Epidamnos and Dalminion for now.

When playing as Rome, do as the Romans. No matter what never back down! lol. They're just Hellene scum anyways (jk rofl rofl)
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Well Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, I found it interesting and some of it funny. What did I do?

I chose to let Epiros attack my besieged forces in Epidamnos, I knew that it would result in loss of the city and death of all my men. However I chose to destroy all buildings that they could use miltiarily, so they could not churn forces out of the city.

They attacked with 1400 men, against 250 Romans, they captured the city, for the loss of 900 men!
    A number of you stated that a Roman would never surrender and that it what I chose to do.

Maion, Interestingly the majority of my men were Greeks conscripted from Southern Italy, so in fact the Hellenes, were killing their own!

What now?
    My Southern Legion based in Taras will depart to my Northern Provinces as the Sweboz, have attacked Mediolanium. At the same time the Arverni and Lustanians break their alliances, so I will be very busy shortly crushing Barbarians and will leave the Greeks for the time being. A Legion will move to Patavium area to repel any Greek incursions. My Adriatic Fleet will continue to harrass Epiros ports and Navy

Maion, Interestingly the majority of my men were Greeks conscripted from Southern Italy, so in fact the Hellenes, were killing their own!
    Damn Southrons. Doesn't surprise me actually, all those perfumed fops with their prized "poleis krate" can think of is how to further swell their pockets. But who would have thought they'd actually fight for Barbaroi (The) in exchange for some coins!

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 04-22-2009 at 14:50.
    ~Maion

Well Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, I found it interesting and some of it funny. What did I do?

I chose to let Epiros attack my besieged forces in Epidamnos, I knew that it would result in loss of the city and death of all my men. However I chose to destroy all buildings that they could use miltiarily, so they could not churn forces out of the city.

They attacked with 1400 men, against 250 Romans, they captured the city, for the loss of 900 men!
    A number of you stated that a Roman would never surrender and that it what I chose to do.

What now?
    My Southern Legion based in Taras will depart to my Northern Provinces as the Sweboz, have attacked Mediolanium. At the same time the Arverni and Lustanians break their alliances, so I will be very busy shortly crushing Barbarians and will leave the Greeks for the time being. A Legion will move to Patavium area to repel any Greek incursions. My Adriatic Fleet will continue to harrass Epiros ports and Navy
    Sounds like you've done as much as possible given the amount of fronts you're fighting on. I'd also send a spy or two to the Epirote homelands with an eye to razing them to the ground once they've been left with a unit or two defending them - give you some more breathing room at least.

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

a hellene that fights for the barbaroi is barbaroi himself
    Last edited by satalexton; 04-24-2009 at 17:44.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Quote Originally Posted by satalexton View Post
    a hellene that fights for the barbaroi is a barbaroi himself
    Too true, too true...

Maion
    ~Maion

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

a hellene that fights for the barbaroi is a barbaroi himself
    A Hellene that speak barbaric Greek is a barbaros as well!

Sorry guys, but just could not resist
    Sorry for spamming

And anyway, the Makedones don't even speak proper Greek!

(Just couldn't resist it)

I didn't do this. It were all them Mak lovers wot dun it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Polska View Post
    And anyway, the Makedones don't even speak proper Greek!
    Don't get you, I'm afraid.

Maion
    ~Maion

oh I do! he is saying he wants to be lifted very high into the air, with the aid of a sarissae!

oh I do! he is saying he wants to be lifted very high into the air, with the aid of a sarissae!

Maion
    ~Maion

HEY you two Hellene Lovers!

You are spamming every second thread with your delusions about Hellenic grandeur. You may find it amusing, but it is, TBH, getting tiresome- especially as there is no arguing with delusional people. But at least do us a favour and limit yourself somewhat. The guy is asking for strategical advice, you are both experienced players, so some help for him would probably be appreciated more than rehash of how superior you think Greeks are to anybody else. We already know you hold those delusions, help the guy instead.

Sorry, I just needed to went some steam. You two have in fact turned very close to every second thread into non-serious, OT, Hellene-loving spam.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Maion and satalexton, guess you have never seen a longsword up close before.

These have actually been used to defeat your beloved sarissae.

wrong period mate =P unless medieval swordsmen have time machines strapped to their backs, they cant touch us!

Did I mention that it was the makedones that stemmed the invasion of the galatikoi? Terrible they may be, that had been defeated by the trusty sarissae and dory...and even w/o them, we have the xiphos and kopis!

and if worst come to worst, A few charging nellies will send you lot packing your bodies back to your clay huts and ew..soap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast