Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best starting faction??

Default Best starting faction??

I'm finally getting my cop of M2TW in 3 days and i was wondering,... Wat is the best faction to start with?? Venice seems like a nich campaign, just like Byzantine Empire but they cant join crusades... :( Wat is your favourite starting faction??

P.S. I don't mind unlocking factions manually, so for example Denmark i am going to considre too!!

Default Re: Best starting faction??

Hello Jakob09,
    i'd say the English make a faction with a good starting position. They can easily get the Scots out of the game and then its only one way forward for them;their location is very safe.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Hmm, yea, but they are quite far away from the Holy Land and so hard to join a crusade,.. but I could conquer the western coast of france and let my soldiers walk to the medittereanian and then sail to Jerusalem!!

I already have a tactic!!

heh, yes that's right. My favorite western faction is France. I like the position and the roster. Also enjoy Sicily. You can go in many different directions that are very different in progression.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Sicily sounds nice indeed

Its very central in the map and also starts small. Makes for a good campaign and as i said very varied. Russia is also interesting if you want a challenge as you start small, poor and Orthodox (a disadvantage of sorts in a world with crusading catholics and jihading muslims!) as well as on the eye of the mongol storm... Pretty much fun ;)

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

What about france or venice??

With France, you start in a central position and 1/3 to 1/2 of your kingdom is rebels. Hence an early rush is in order to take these into your domain, before anyone else starts getting such ideas (the English, the HRE, and particularly the Milanese, and after a while the Spanish factions). I know that many players take the rebels first and deal with the English in Normandy later. I take the exact opposite approach and take Normandy fisrtfrom the English before rushing in to take Brittany and Aquitaine. This is because the English can grow in time into a real pain that at best consumes garrisons in my back yeard and so deny freedom of decisive action in other theaters, and at worst will even take rebels or threaten good French cities. Once you kick them out of France proper, they get incredibly weakened, and much more leveled with their rivals in their Isles (the Scots) and also you gained a trading partner accross the sea for your early game that can make a real difference.

Then proceed quickly to take brittany and aquitaine and Metz while clearing any rebels that sprout in the mean time and hence training your generals and having fun. After you kick the Milanese near Metz, pummel them a little more so their early rush is culled so they know whose boss. After that, you have a world of possibilities: you can crusade (either in Spain or in the Holy Land) while interfering in Papal affairs, or simply move to Spain or conquer England or WestGermany/Italy. Whichever you do first will dictate your future rivals ie if you take on the British Isles then expect the Spanish or Italian factions to grow etc.

With Venice you can do lots of varied things as well. You can take out the Milanese, and be the sole Doge of Italians, or take on the Sicilians in Southern Italy or the Hungarians in the Balkans or the Byzantines in the Balkans and the Levant. Similarly to the Sicilians can make for varied campaigns.
    Last edited by gollum; 04-24-2011 at 18:05.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Wow... France has improved in my opininon right now.. I think i'm going to play them.. Thnx Gollum!!

You're welcome Jakob09. France also has the best western style (heavily armoured/armed knights and knightly) heavy cavalry roster in the game, and good late era units too.

Have fun when your game comes :)

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Just some quick notes.

If you play as Milan => blitz Venice; after or at same time as getting Florence

If you play as Venice => blitz Milan; after or at same time as getting Florence

Once you blitz your opposite out of existence Sicily will be next...in good time.

France/Italy cannot seem to co-exist peacefully; Marseilles is too rich for Italy to ignore; N.Italy is too rich for the French to ignore.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

I am a late comer to M2TW too, and presently i'm playing HRE on H/H difficulty, and it's been quite an interesting one. i sent my only spy (starting spy) to rome and made sure the pope was in the city and gathered all my army and went and took rome in 2 turns 1st turn i got excommunicated and then as i took the city the pope died, so got reconciled by the new pope :) well to win as hre u need Rome and 45 regions in the long campaign :) hardly bothered with crusades, cos it's not a winning requirement for HRE (holy roman empire). One adv playing HRE is u start right in the middle and and have frankfurt, nuremberg, stauffen, innsburck, vienna and bologna :D six starting regions!!! so that means another 38-39 regions to take if rome is excluded. as gollum said HRE has almost the same situation as france and cannot stop from taking the rich provinces of milan and venice. the trick to not get excommunicated is leave one peasent unit on each border/choke points/ bridges; so that if a neutral christna army is to attack ur city they have to "most probably" attack ur 1 unit of peasant army to get to ur city :) there by they have more chances of getting excomm :) and once they are excomm attack back their cities, in a blitz :) but try not kill their faction leader early on or they get reconcilled :( have a fun game jakob09.
    I'm currntly playing as Milanese on H/H

Thanks for the ideas everyone... But unfortunatly because of a crap delivery service, delays because of Easter and Amazon ginving me wrong dates when its arriving, my copy hasn't arrived yet.... :( What do you guys think about Spain.. They seem nice.!
    Last edited by Jakob09; 04-30-2011 at 20:56.

Pretty secure position, with legitimate opponents for catholics (the moors) and very good late units. Portugal is a similar case.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob09 View Post
    What do you guys think about Spain.. They seem nice.!
    Spain's a nice position to start off, close by Kingdom of Moors to conquer without getting excommunicated :) well after all i abandoned my HRE campaign after i heard that age of generals are not accurately advanced due to the 1 turn = 2 year senario; unlike Rome total war, so found a way to tweak the time scale back to 2 seasons per year :D :D hurrah!!!! lol, and now playing as the Bankers, humm i mean, the Milanese, lots of florins :D :) sry *off topic*

as spain you have one def army in the iberian peninsula and attack all the way upto alexandria if you can build a sizable naval force, cos land travelling will take time to reach that far :( OR

defend in North africa and attack france and then HRE :) you have two obvious and safe options... unlike me as Milanese in H/H Campaign and getting attacked by 5 factions at the same time :( but it's quite a challenge :D and i haven't been excommunicated even once :D
    I'm currntly playing as Milanese on H/H

And finally, after 3 weeks, it arrived. After succesfull installtion i chose France M/M diffucltiy. I am now at about turn 70 and I have conquerd modernd day france, and Antioch, Jersulem and Acre. I have a fantastic assasin who killed the pope about 4 times. They allready invaded and soon the mongols are going to be at the doors of the Holy Land... :)

Have fun Jakob09, its good to hear this

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I always liked to play as France. Fun faction, I liked the unit roster too! Have fun Jakob09! :)
    Silence is beautiful

This forum and the people is soooo great.. Everbody is just so nice ;) Do you know how the piety of your priets improves? Because I have 0 kardinals and i have no influence in the papel elections.. I just have to assasinet the pope until there is a pope who actually likes me... Like one from Milan or hungary..(becoz the like me..:))

You are welcome Jakob09,
    If you try sending them to convert heretics and heathens it might help.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Wtf... I am pulling my own hair out of my head right now.. ;0 I am in turn 101 and still no gunpowder... Why? Do you need special builings or someting??

~later edit~

Woops, just read in a walktrough that the gunpowder comes at about 1340... In a youtube vid i saw very diffrent though...
    Last edited by Jakob09; 05-15-2011 at 10:35.

Was about to reply; glad you are sorted :)

Just wait for it and it'll come ;)

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Hmm, yeah it came now.. I have build an gunsmith or something like that but how do i get Aquebusiers and Musketeers enz.. ?

Upgrade the building that allow for militia units to be created in cities throughout the game. The highest level allows Aquebusiers, I don't know about Musketeeers. Sieges become much more fun with cannon in my opinion! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Hello Jakob09,
    take a look here

Its a very good guide for factions' units and buildings reference. For unit dependencies click on the buildings and see what they can build. Alternatively choose the building tabs from the tab list on the top to see the tech tree of the faction of your choice at a glance.

Scroll around the factions (by using teh factions tab) too to see what other factions' tech tree is.

Another guide you can check out, but for units exclusively (it does not have buildings and tech trees and units' dependencies) is this

It has better info on the units though.
    Last edited by gollum; 05-15-2011 at 13:33.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Ah great gollum, thanks man!

You're welcome jakob09, enjoy :)

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

I'm now enyojing a Bizantine Empire campaign and i have conquered quite a lot. The Mongol Invasion is about 40 years ago and they have diplomats walking the earth. So i asked my princess to talk with on of them, and i ended up with an aliance + map info. They have conquered all of modern day European Russia. I donno wat to do. Attack them before they get to powerful or Wait til they declare war on me?
    Please help!

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Kill them before they kill you. Byzantine Horse Archer armies are a match for Mongols.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Put a good replenishable army in a castle or city on their conquring route. They'll hit it over and over till they take it. A good way to reduce their numbers with victories. That is what I do. My playing skills are seldom a match for the mongols on the field.
    Silence is beautiful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast