Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bomb attacks on Brussels airport

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Bomb attacks on Brussels airport

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/22/two-lo...rport-5766899/

3 explosions followed in the underground.
    Last edited by Myth; 03-22-2016 at 10:26.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Bomb attacks on Brussels airport

The religion of pieces everywhere. Doesn't seem all that bad so far, 10 dead. This is something we will just have to get used to
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 10:27.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Terrible. Hopefully nobody else gets hurt and all the Belgian Orgahs are safe!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yep, more explosions. You just got to respect that.

I'm just glad we spent billions on making flying more secure, but nobody could see this coming.

Wasn't Maalbeek the well-integrated area where some unfortunate youth recently threw projectiles at police because they were angry over the arrest of their terror chief? Why didn't Belgium send them to Turkey in exchange for some Syrians?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Nobody could see this comming, big lol to that. It is what is. If you didn't see it comming I really don't know where to begin. I am shocked nor surprised. Just hoping nobody does something stupid to people who have nothing to do with it.

another one just went of, have a nice day. No reports on casualties atm
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I'm just glad we spent billions on making flying more secure, but nobody could see this coming.

Wasn't Maalbeek the well-integrated area where some unfortunate youth recently threw projectiles at police because they were angry over the arrest of their terror chief? Why didn't Belgium send them to Turkey in exchange for some Syrians?
    Europe simply has not been willing to take the measures that would help prevent what happened today. And to be clear, that would be to have security checks outside the airport in such a way that people are not piled up for easy pickings with a bomb-vest. Nobody on an airplane was injured and the measures which have been implemented safely secured the goals of why they were implemented.

Attacks have been claimed by IS. That must be absolutily an enormous surprise to people who think is a good idea to import people from IS territory and take back people who learned how to make explosives there. wtf how could we know?

Well just listen to what they say themselve I'd answer

Rest in pieces victims
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 12:59.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

15 dead at Maelbeek and 11 more at the airport, according to the BBC.

Seems like just a two-off and not an hours-long situation like Paris, but that's a pretty crappy silver lining to put on things.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 03-22-2016 at 13:02.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Belgians should be ashamed. They weren't tolerant enough and faield to integrate these poor, repressed migrants.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Nobody could see this comming, big lol to that. It is what is. If you didn't see it comming I really don't know where to begin. I am shocked nor surprised. Just hoping nobody does something stupid to people who have nothing to do with it.

another one just went of, have a nice day. No reports on casualties atm
    Glad you liked the sarcasm, but "I am shocked nor surprised." makes no sense grammatically.
    As for doing something stupid to people who have nothing or little to do with 'it', isn't that what just happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhobbit View Post
    And to be clear, that would be to have security checks outside the airport in such a way that people are not piled up for easy pickings with a bomb-vest.
    And how would one do that?

Nobody on an airplane was injured and the measures which have been implemented safely secured the goals of why they were implemented.
    Must be a relief for the people who got bombed waiting for an airplane today.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Belgians should be ashamed. They weren't tolerant enough and faield to integrate these poor, repressed migrants.
    Indeed, the French revolution showed us that every underclass will snap eventually and do horrible things.

Wooooo!!!

Yes it does makes sense grammatically Hussie; I am [not] shocked [and neither am I] surprised. So shocked nor surprised it is. Got nothing more important to say

edit, yep, looks like returnees from Syria (not comfirmed) did it, just a question why can they come back after they joined IS and got training there. Are we insane.

Well yes
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 14:08.

And how would one do that?

Must be a relief for the people who got bombed waiting for an airplane today.
    By forming an orderly queue with staffers making sure that people are not crowding up. I thought Germans knew how to queue, do I have to further explain the concept? Then you simply conduct security checks before people are allowed inside, you know, look for bombs, guns, knives etc. Not sure what was hard to understand, could you elaborate?

You're so cool with your slick sarcasm criticizing security laws which do not greatly infringe on civil rights and afford us a fairly large amount of safety on our flights. If you want to prevent terror attacks outside of the flights then you have to put other measures to use. Don't blame your home insurance when your car on the street was set on fire. Surely you are able to understand this?

Yes it does makes sense grammatically Hussie; I am [not] shocked [and neither am I] surprised. So shocked nor surprised it is. Got nothing more important to say
    I am neither shocked nor surprised.

That way it makes sense, but you wrote that you are shocked, which can be confusing when we are talking about a terror attack.

http://thewritepractice.com/how-to-u...nor-correctly/

“I fear man nor beast!” Jay proclaimed as Frank stared at the python coiled on the branch over his head. (Wrong.)

“I fear neither man nor beast!” Jay proclaimed as Frank stared at the python coiled on the branch over his head. (Right!)
    By forming an orderly queue with staffers making sure that people are not crowding up. I thought Germans knew how to queue, do I have to further explain the concept? Then you simply conduct security checks before people are allowed inside, you know, look for bombs, guns, knives etc. Not sure what was hard to understand, could you elaborate?
    And then we'll be surprised if someone blows up the new security queue, killing 20 people?
    The English know how to queue, never heard that about Germans.
    Last edited by Husar; 03-22-2016 at 14:14.

No Hussie as I wrote it is perfectly fine, what you write isn't, neither in combination with nor is a double negative. If you want to be a grammar-nazi at least be good at it.

anyways, don't know if it's connected but some stuff is going on here as well. A supposed hostage situation and a few false alarms.
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 14:44.

And then we'll be surprised if someone blows up the new security queue, killing 20 people?
    The English know how to queue, never heard that about Germans.
    Given how explosions work, unless they use different bombs, the effect will not be as lethal. And the ceiling won't fall down on the people in the airport. Of course this also needs to be matched with more resources and possibly tools for our intelligence services and improved intelligence sharing through Europe.
    Oh, ordnung is not a German notion? It certainly is up here.

Viewers discretion, this isn't very pleasant to watch, I don't think it's too much but it's not up to me to decide

http://www.geenstijl.nl/mt/archieven..._zaventem.html
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 15:05.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

When I returned from Russia I went through a security check the instant I set foot inside their airport, which repeated once more just like in eu airports before going to the gate. It's great to hear that good honest law-abiding Belgians can waltz into an airport while carrying fragmentation bombs and assault rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    When I returned from Russia I went through a security check the instant I set foot inside their airport, which repeated once more just like in eu airports before going to the gate. It's great to hear that good honest law-abiding Belgians can waltz into an airport while carrying fragmentation bombs and assault rifles.
    Or into a metro station, a train station, a bus station, a taxi stand, a hotel, a shopping mall, a park, ...

It's interesting how you complain about the airport security when more people died and got hurt in the metro station.
    Last edited by Husar; 03-22-2016 at 17:04.

Or into a metro station, a train station, a bus station, a taxi stand, a hotel, a shopping mall, a park, ...

It's interesting how you complain about the airport security when more people died and got hurt in the metro station.
    Are we complaining or pointing out what improvements can be made? Speaking of which, if you do it Delhi style then you'd have security checks at the metro also, though those can get more crowded very easily. Would you care to guess why the metro had more deaths? Could it be because the explosions were in a smaller area and more force was thus applied where the bomb blast struck? Which again goes to show that a check outside (or right inside if it is cold as hell like in Russia) can significantly reduce the risk and damage of terror attacks.

Why exactly do you not want to make it harder to blow people up?

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Either circumstance is appalling. Of course the fundamental problem is not the nonexistence of that added security check (the point was that it can work without any real issues and can help avoid something like this), but rather the fact that the same kind of people keep murdering rampantly in largely the same areas and the governments that should be doing something about it appear to be unable to cope with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    Either circumstance is appalling. Of course the fundamental problem is not the nonexistence of that added security check (the point was that it can work without any real issues and can help avoid something like this), but rather the fact that the same kind of people keep murdering rampantly in largely the same areas and the governments that should be doing something about it appear to be unable to cope with it.
    I think unwilling is more likely. Security services seem to be starved of finances and troublemakers are not reigned in anymore as they used to be. I prefer a peaceful approach to problem solving as most should be aware here, but if you have chronic troublemakers I'd step up the game and stop them with far more force than is legally allowed nowadays.
    That does not mean throw all muslims out or racially cleanse the country, but as I said earlier, why were the people who rioted over the arrest of a terrorist not rounded up and arrested for a start?

Member thankful for this post:

These are the moments where you count to ten Hussie, it's horrible what happened no doubt. But it shouldn't really come as a surprise. Very high on my wtfdidyouexpect-list all this
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-22-2016 at 17:46.

These are the moments where you count to ten Hussie, it's horrible what happened no doubt. But it shouldn't really come as a surprise.
    I didn't say I'm surprised and I've said before that we should be much harsher with people who think we are a victim culture. I just don't agree with blaming everyone who wears a hijab, building walls everywhere and having more and more controls of everyone. Fight the terror and not the citizens. Proper police investigation that catches them before they get to blow anyone up is much better than reducing the number of people who get blown up. Sadly this kind of investigative work is really lacking in some countries here, much easier to plaster airports with security and pretend everything is fine now.

And then you have these people who say each country should do its own thing and then a Belgian moves to Paris and after he blew up a lot of people the Belgians tell the French "oh yeah, he was definitely a suspect, we knew that for a while!". Yeah well, let's just cooperate only on a business level, nothing that could go wrong.
    Last edited by Husar; 03-22-2016 at 17:53.

I didn't say I'm surprised and I've said before that we should be much harsher with people who think we are a victim culture. I just don't agree with blaming everyone who wears a hijab, building walls everywhere and having more and more controls of everyone. Fight the terror and not the citizens. Proper police investigation that catches them before they get to blow anyone up is much better than reducing the number of people who get blown up. Sadly this kind of investigative work is really lacking in some countries here, much easier to plaster airports with security and pretend everything is fine now.

And then you have these people who say each country should do its own thing and then a Belgian moves to Paris and after he blew up a lot of people the Belgians tell the French "oh yeah, he was definitely a suspect, we knew that for a while!". Yeah well, let's just cooperate only on a business level, nothing that could go wrong.
    Cursed with genuinly good intentions, musn't resonate all that well with reality sometimes ;)

I think unwilling is more likely. Security services seem to be starved of finances and troublemakers are not reigned in anymore as they used to be. I prefer a peaceful approach to problem solving as most should be aware here, but if you have chronic troublemakers I'd step up the game and stop them with far more force than is legally allowed nowadays.
    That does not mean throw all muslims out or racially cleanse the country, but as I said earlier, why were the people who rioted over the arrest of a terrorist not rounded up and arrested for a start?
    I'm curious, what do you mean by "far more force than is legally allowed nowadays"? Torture is generally proven to be a very bad way of gathering information. I'm sure there is some law in Belgium about support for terrorism etc that could be applied, or if not then written pronto. I've not read any news about riots after the arrest of the terrorist the other day, could you link some news article or suchlike?

Of course catching them before they strike is better than minimizing the causalities and nothing else. But doing both reduces human suffering and keeps the citizenry safer than otherwise at what to me seems like a very reasonable price.

Cursed with genuinly good intentions, musn't resonate all that well with reality sometimes ;)
    Because reality is all black and white?

I'm curious, what do you mean by "far more force than is legally allowed nowadays"? Torture is generally proven to be a very bad way of gathering information.
    No, I'm talking about things such as no-go-zones where "police can't go". What's so hard about sending a few men in with backup nearby to lure out the troublemakers, record them on video and then hunt them down with the backup? Beat them or shoot them if necessary, but just cowering in the police station because you're afraid to go outside or hurt someone is hardly a solution. There was a story in a respectable newspaper where a victim identified the family that stole all the wedding gowns from her store and when she called police they didn't do anything because the entire family of perpetrators "is probably armed". Well, go away and come back with more men, then surround and arrest, if they shoot back, kill them. I have little patience for this kind of excuse. We have all kinds of special forces to deal with such situations but then we let these people exploit us even when we know exactly what is going on. That's a political and policing issue.
    There is such a thing as being too hard on crime, but also being too soft. It's especially perverse when robbers and murderers get away with it while the government runs TV ads about how downloading a movie can lead to you getting raped in jail...
    Last edited by Husar; 03-22-2016 at 18:20.

Member thankful for this post:

Because reality is all black and white?
    Wouldn't that be nice.

No, I'm talking about things such as no-go-zones where "police can't go". What's so hard about sending a few men in with backup nearby to lure out the troublemakers, record them on video and then hunt them down with the backup? Beat them or shoot them if necessary, but just cowering in the police station because you're afraid to go outside or hurt someone is hardly a solution. There was a story in a respectable newspaper where a victim identified the family that stole all the wedding gowns from her store and when she called police they didn't do anything because the entire family of perpetrators "is probably armed". Well, go away and come back with more men, then surround and arrest, if they shoot back, kill them. I have little patience for this kind of excuse. We have all kinds of special forces to deal with such situations but then we let these people exploit us even when we know exactly what is going on. That's a political and policing issue.
    There is such a thing as being too hard on crime, but also being too soft. It's especially perverse when robbers and murderers get away with it while the government runs TV ads about how downloading a movie can lead to you getting raped in jail...
    We have the same issue in Sweden, is it a German issue as well? Obviously yes, the answer should be to crack down. Though given the risk to the poor police officers in that little bait action, I personally would prefer a larger show of force with full on riot-police and possibly army assistance if the situation calls for that. To my knowledge the police have a right to use lethal force if they are forced to in order to defend themselves or someone else, hopefully less violent resolutions than killings on a grand scale can be used though. Such as subduing with gas, water cannons etc. But if needs must then needs must. We've had a lot of issues all of a sudden with women safety being threatened in a way which has not happened for over 800 years, and a plains clothes policewoman trailed by a bunch of big strong colleagues would go a long way towards catching the assholes who don't understand they're not in the Arab world anymore.

Did you see the 60 minutes Australia report last Sunday? Very telling of the police status in that area. The man in the wheelchair should get a fricken medal though.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast