Thread: How to rebell correctly?

Post How to rebell correctly?

So my roman empire around 120 BC has conquered most of it's enemies. To remain a semi-historical run on my campaign I wanted to give up some of the settlements I had to conquer to destroy those smelly Cartheginians. All of the sudden I had CTDs at ending the turns, but due to the helping topics in this forum (yes I use the search button a lot) I managed to resolve this problem.
    But I still didn't manage to give up those settlements so that the rebels claim it. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.
    So I have also search the forums a bit and I found out that there is no script comand to do that. The only way remains to let them rebel by moving out all characters and destroy all those brothels and bars that keep people happy.

So long story, simple question. What is causing the rebellion CTD rebellions exactly (i read some vague discription on spawning guards), how can I prevent the CTD and still make em rebell?
    And if that's not possible, are there any other ways to do it?

I really wanna get rid of those settlements deep down in the sahara. Thanks in advance. :)

Default Re: How to rebell correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    And if that's not possible, are there any other ways to do it?
    I should be able to edit the save to give those provinces to Eleutheroi if there are no normal fixes for this. (Or otherwise - it will be fun)
    Last edited by Chris_; 01-05-2009 at 15:14.

Rebellion CTD's are apparently caused by lack of recruitment options available (i.e the game is unsuccesful trying to spawn an army to take over your city).
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Rebellion CTD's are apparently caused by lack of recruitment options available (i.e the game is unsuccesful trying to spawn an army to take over your city).
    Okay so does that mean I need a barracks or what?
    Because in some cases it worked, it's only certain cities.
    Hmm maybe because I destroyed the foreign MICs?
    This is confusing me. ;(

Edit: Well so I tried to apply aux. MICs to help the rebellions get an army (oh the irony!), but that didn't help.
    Last edited by Fixiwee; 01-05-2009 at 17:13.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Is that the reasoning behind the freed slave unit recruitable with the governors house?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Yes it is. Sadly they get crazy chevrons osmetimes and kill everything.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-06-2009 at 06:03.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

9 chevrons or not, they'll still die to slingers and archers and run at the first opportunity.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

So, is there any way to work around the CTD?

If you can upload the save somewhere, I should be able to try something that might fix it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/180390424/ALTrome2.sav.html
    It's EB 1.1
    Trying to get rid of the 2 border provinces in the sahara and gibraltar.
    Not sure if you need any more info?

Edit; I appriciate your help. thanks :)
    Last edited by Fixiwee; 01-06-2009 at 16:09.

Is it Lixus, Garama and Kirtan? Just making sure.

Yes that's correct.

Try this : link

Well thanks that worked. I already played 3 years a head, but I think I'll just restart from your save game. 3 Years aint that bad.

edit: Btw, how did you script that? There will be a point where soon where I want to simulate the social war, so i want most of the cities in Italy to become rebells? And I might wanna do that myself rather then bragging people here. :)
    Last edited by Fixiwee; 01-06-2009 at 21:55.

I moved your troops out of the settlement, resaved the game, then hex-edited the savegame file to swap the faction ID for the cities to Rebel. I'm slowly working away at making this something people can do via an application, but I don't get as much time to work on it as I'd like to. I don't mind manually doing it for people, it helps me understand the saves more (plus its the kind of thing I enjoy doing ).

Also, nice Baktria!

I appriciate your effort in heliping people. Nontheless I get a CTD after I hit the "next turn" button at the moment it is the rebells turn. Did you have that too?

Edit: Yeah Baktria is nice. RP-wise they are my allies and I share my conquests of the Ptolemaois. So they get to be the replacment of the Parthian empire. Some "my" senators suspect that they might betray us once we finished conquering Syria. Other then that, the AI is kinda close to the real history. Only the Aeudi are long gone. ;(
    Last edited by Fixiwee; 01-07-2009 at 19:52.

Hmm, I'll look into that now. I think I might know what it is. This is the problem with editing saves, I'm not entirely sure what it all does yet!

Don't trouble yourself too much though. I already continued playing with another savegame. I'm quite into the game atm and can't wait. Hehehe...

Edit: If you are really bored, I could send you my updated save too. :)
    Last edited by Fixiwee; 01-07-2009 at 20:16.

Small bump. Last time I'm asking this question if anyone knows a way to work around my problem.

I arrived at the social wars part of my campaign and I want to let the italic citys revolt. But ofc I get a CTD, so I'm unable to continue the game, or otherwise skip the social wars ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    I moved your troops out of the settlement, resaved the game, then hex-edited the savegame file to swap the faction ID for the cities to Rebel. I'm slowly working away at making this something people can do via an application, but I don't get as much time to work on it as I'd like to. I don't mind manually doing it for people, it helps me understand the saves more (plus its the kind of thing I enjoy doing ).

Also, nice Baktria!
    It would be awesome if you could make this into a savegame editor. It would be a lot easier to circumvent these CTDs than currently.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    It would be awesome if you could make this into a savegame editor. It would be a lot easier to circumvent these CTDs than currently.
    I want to, but as you can see it crashed at the end of the turn - I still need to figure out the rest of the save, as it references things in multiple places, some of which I haven't found yet/don't know how to change properly. I still work on it when I get time, but I don't get as much time as I used to.

Cheers to the effort.

On a sidenote, I'm already past the social wars.