Thread: Which frigates should I build?

Default Which frigates should I build?

Hi, I need to increase the number of frigates in my navy (American), but I'm not sure which to build.

It probably comes down to a choice between Carronade Frigates (1020 each 52 firepower) or 24 pdr Frigates (1720 each 132 firepower). In terms of 'bang for buck' the 24 pdrs seem to come out tops, but I wonder if anyone has any experience of using these ships in action.

I assume for instance that the carronade frigates have a shorter range which could be a disadvantage, but are they any faster than their heavy counter-parts to compensate?
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Default Re: Which frigates should I build?

You should build the baddest-ass ones you can afford bro.

Come again!

If you're a naval retard (like myself) and find yourself engaging at close range alot then go with the Cannonades. Mix in a couple of 3rd raters to soak enemy attacks and use the Cannonades to lay a beating at close range. Just dont expect them to stand up too well against enemy fire, they need to coddled cuz the AI tends to have a penchent to one shot frigates of all types.

My money would go into 24pdr Frigates. On paper 24pdr Frigates seem batter than the Razee (not a US ship), 5th rate and 6th rate Frigates and Carronade Frigates. They are how ever slower than the Razee which can be built by the UK and some power powers but with more powerful guns to make up for this.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Build 24-pdr frigates. Carronade frigates are support ships meant to do a specific task, whereas the more versatile 24-pdr frigate should be seen as a very maneuverable light ship of the line.

The speed of your fleet in a fleet engagement is always that of your slowest ship, so difference in speed doesn't really matter.

If you're going for a frigate fleet, bring 1 or 2 carronade frigates. Put them in the part of the line that is safest, perhaps the 2nd or 3rd ship in the line (this is depending on your tactics). If you're gonna build rocket frigates as well, keep them in a separate formation from the rest of your fleet and always have your main line in between them and the enemy.

Do you have USS Constitution? Best frigate in the game by far IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post
    Build 24-pdr frigates. Carronade frigates are support ships meant to do a specific task, whereas the more versatile 24-pdr frigate should be seen as a very maneuverable light ship of the line.

The speed of your fleet in a fleet engagement is always that of your slowest ship, so difference in speed doesn't really matter.

If you're going for a frigate fleet, bring 1 or 2 carronade frigates. Put them in the part of the line that is safest, perhaps the 2nd or 3rd ship in the line (this is depending on your tactics). If you're gonna build rocket frigates as well, keep them in a separate formation from the rest of your fleet and always have your main line in between them and the enemy.

Do you have USS Constitution? Best frigate in the game by far IMO.
    I bought the Special addition version from Play.com with the USS Constitution. I have registered the game and the extra unit but I can't seem to get it as it doesn't appear on the ship lists for the USA in the quick battle page - any ideas how I can get it?
    May the Foss be with you....

oups, posted in wrong thread
    Last edited by Vlad Tzepes; 04-18-2009 at 00:18. Reason: wrong thread
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumfoss View Post
    I bought the Special addition version from Play.com with the USS Constitution. I have registered the game and the extra unit but I can't seem to get it as it doesn't appear on the ship lists for the USA in the quick battle page - any ideas how I can get it?
    So, did I actually.

I can't build it yet either.....I assumed it comes later as a result of building the Naval College or acheiving some higher tech level. But you have me worried now.

Anyway, the concensus seems to be to go with 24 pdr Frigates which was my own gut feel anyway, I was just curious if Carronade Frigates were ridiculously over powered or something. I have a problem at the minute that the British have Topsails and I don't so expereince has shown that my Frigates can't outrun theirs, they need to be able to outgun them instead.
    Last edited by Didz; 04-18-2009 at 11:49.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Pre-Order 2

USS Constitution: Unique unit for America, recruited from Drydock in North America.
    http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2009/...guide/#more-99

I dont have it so i don't know if it works.

I was hoping to have the USS constitution available for quick battles, as you can get HMS Victory. Hmm Didz can you let me know if you get it during your American campaign? If you do then i'll have to finish the RTI camp. (My main army got stuck so I abandoned it)
    May the Foss be with you....

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
    http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2009/...guide/#more-99

I dont have it so i don't know if it works.
    Hmm! In that case I think there is something wrong.

I thought the USS Constitution came with the Special Edition but according to that it only comes with 'Pre-Order 2'. So, I may not be able to get it.

I also says it requires a Drydock in North America. Well there is no province of North America so I assume any traditional province in the Unites States area would do. I have a dry dock in Virginia which ought to qualify but no USS Constitution, so I assume I didn't get it despite buying the USS Constitution pack (albiet not on pre-order)

I should get the Victory though I hope, but obviously not in this campaign, I certainly got Organ guns during my Ottoman Campaign.
    Last edited by Didz; 04-18-2009 at 13:36.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grumfoss View Post
    I was sent a special code via email from play that had to be registered at Steam separately. It also gives you a desk top icon. If you don’t have it then you haven’t registered it at Steam. If you don’t have the email, then post an email to Play.com and see if they will send it to you.It is the same with Special edition, an icon when you regester...

By the way, it has a very high build cost but builds in 0 turns.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I was sent a special code via email from play that had to be registered at Steam separately. It also gives you a desk top icon. If you don’t have it then you haven’t registered it at Steam. If you don’t have the email, then post an email to Play.com and see if they will send it to you.It is the same with Special edition, an icon when you regester...

By the way, it has a very high build cost but builds in 0 turns.

Paying for little pixels is the most absurd thing ever. I hope somebody mods their own versions of "special edition units" soon. NOT using any officially designed images, of course. These idiots don't own history.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 04-18-2009 at 14:38.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Build a 24pdr Frigate and name it the USS Constitution

Though I do think it was a bit of a shame they had to have 3 units you could only get by getting the game from a few relaters, they should have all been in Special forces edition in my opinion. Hopefully one day they will be available on Steam (likes to dream it will be for free if you have special forces edition)

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    I hope somebody mods their own versions of "special edition units" soon. NOT using any officially designed images, of course. These idiots don't own history.
    I hope they don't as I have special forces edition and don't relay want people to mod the game to get them for free. If you didn't buy it but want the units that's your own problem.

Before I get off on something else; build the 24lb Frigates! They take damage like a SOL and are faster. But do consider a few 3rd Rates. They are strong good ships and are the fastest on the campaign map. I don’t think the 24lbs keep up there, but I could be wrong.

The 24s can take on larger ships if you have a number of them, handle well and can take damage very well. I think the firepower could be better but they are great ships.

If they are going to mod the game and make it historical there is a lot more to change than just the names of ships. The Frigates should be the fastest classes of ships, with the 6th Rates and the 24lbers leading the others…and that is just the ships.

I am sure game play issues were behind some of the decisions they made.

Mark Twain

Yeah! I'll build 24's and ..Yes...now I know I won't get it as a special I shall name one Constitution.

However, I'm surprised to hear you say that 3rd rates are faster then 24's, the 24 is still a Frigate and ought to be able to outrun them really.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
    Build a 24pdr Frigate and name it the USS Constitution

Though I do think it was a bit of a shame they had to have 3 units you could only get by getting the game from a few relaters, they should have all been in Special forces edition in my opinion. Hopefully one day they will be available on Steam (likes to dream it will be for free if you have special forces edition)

I hope they don't as I have special forces edition and don't relay want people to mod the game to get them for free. If you didn't buy it but want the units that's your own problem.
    I'm not saying people should get the CA units, but they should be able to mod their own death's head hussars into the game or the USS Constitution. It isn't fair that, even though someone can modify a heavy frigate stats, name it the Constitution and create their own avatar for it that CA would have a problem with that.

You paid for CA's creation, but they don't own history.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 04-18-2009 at 21:48.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never touch CA's special units, the ones I have seen have been all rubbish or in limited areas where I don't care. Sorry to say, getting special forces was a big waste.

On another note, for ships, I never bother with Naval (except for trade ships) until I unlock the steam ships. Those ships just rip everything to shreds.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Yeah! I'll build 24's and ..Yes...now I know I won't get it as a special I shall name one Constitution.

However, I'm surprised to hear you say that 3rd rates are faster then 24's, the 24 is still a Frigate and ought to be able to outrun them really.
    I have not checked the American 24lbers specifically but I know that on the campaign map the 3rd Rates move farther than any of the other classes by a significant margin.

On the battle map the frigates are faster.

On the campaign map it is like the movement is almost inverse. Trade ships are the slowest, then sloops and brigs then it gets a little mixed with the various frigates, first and second rates but from there the razees (could include 24lbers) are next fastest and the third rates seem to lead the pack…that is with all of the techs developed and all the speed bonuses.

All the same, if you are moving troops then use a fleet of only third rates and you will save a turn or more if moving long distances.

Mark Twain

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Hi, I need to increase the number of frigates in my navy (American), but I'm not sure which to build.

It probably comes down to a choice between Carronade Frigates (1020 each 52 firepower) or 24 pdr Frigates (1720 each 132 firepower). In terms of 'bang for buck' the 24 pdrs seem to come out tops, but I wonder if anyone has any experience of using these ships in action.

I assume for instance that the carronade frigates have a shorter range which could be a disadvantage, but are they any faster than their heavy counter-parts to compensate?
    Hi Didz,

The best damage dealing frigates are the carronade figates for overall firepower (regardless of what the screen says, the inbattle right click info card is a better indicator). A team of 2-3 CFs can sink a HFR (Heavy First Rate) with ease, even a single CF can sink a HFR provided it's never or rarely shot at. They are faster than their heavier counterparts but it doesn't really matter. Do this test, open a custom naval battle, give the AI a carronade frigate, and give yourself a Heavy First Rate or First Rate. Turn auto fire off and just watch the damage it can do.

The best overall screening frigate is the Razee, because of it's toughness, speed and firepower combo. Placed as a screen it can soak damage away from SOLs (Ships of the Line). Used as an offensive frigate it can burn through the enemy line, disrupting the enemy formation as it goes. Allowing the heavier ships to nuke the traffic jam. Best in groups of 4.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

I've done some testing AI (6 x Carronades) v AI (6 x 24 pdr) and so far the 24's win every time, so I think I'll stick with them for the time being.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis