Thread: Using an internet forum for Social Research

Default Using an internet forum for Social Research

I have decided to conduct an Org poll where users will tell their professions and vote on their diet preferences. I will then tabulate this data and arrange it by professions, so can tell which professions like which foods. I will then use this data in my Uni research paper with the following entry under the "Methods" header:

"This data was gathered on an internet forum on which it is possible for a single person to create multiple accounts (and therefore vote multiple times) as well as for bots to register and vote. It is also impossible to know if the information given is accurate or not, or if the people are really who they say they are. Therefore this data is completely useless and should be completely ignored."

What do you think, is it a good idea?
    Last edited by Vuk; 02-12-2009 at 18:57.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Default Re: Using an internet forum for Social Research

What is the point?
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    I have decided to conduct an Org poll where users will tell their professions and vote on their diet preferences. I will then tabulate this data and arrange it by professions, so can tell which professions like which foods. I will then use this data in my Uni research paper with the following entry under the "Methods" header:

"This data was gathered on an internet forum on which it is possible for a single person to create multiple accounts (and therefore vote multiple times) as well as for bots to register and vote. It is also impossible to know if the information given is accurate or not, or if the people are really who they say they are. Therefore this data is completely useless and should be completely ignored."

What do you think, is it a good idea?
    you are the scientist here. do as you please.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

lol, I am just demonstrating how absurd using an internet forum for Social Research is. I was told by my professor that it was a valid option, but I would have to discuss the weakness of that type of research in the methods section. I just thought that it was pretty absurd. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

It might also be pointed out that you would be drawing false conclusions from your data - there is no reason to believe that your job determines the food you like.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

"This data was gathered on an internet forum on which it is possible for a single person to create multiple accounts (and therefore vote multiple times) as well as for bots to register and vote.

If you put it somewhere like the backroom then there is a very limited possibility of that... though a member with multiple accounts could vote twice, anyone who has two active accounts probably uses them for a much better reason then screwing with jobs linking to paticular foods polls....

It is also impossible to know if the information given is accurate or not, or if the people are really who they say they are.

Probably the best criticism of the method, there would be very little reason to lie on the what foods you like, the only reason to lie would be for pure fun... so most would probably give honest answers...

The profession one there is an excuse to lie, make yourself look good, why be a binman when you can be a lawyer, my counter point though is that, we have a fairly mature community so lieing is slightly less likely... alot of people who do work crap jobs are proud that they work so hard... and lastly alot of .org members who have been here a bit will have likely dropped hints or outright told people what thier occupation is, so would not be eager to potentially be branded a liar...

It might also be pointed out that you would be drawing false conclusions from your data - there is no reason to believe that your job determines the food you like.

Going to have to disagree here, atheletes are attracted to healthy food, so would probably come out as having preferences for healthy foods, if we further specify atheletes are likely to eat certain foods depending on thier sport, a wieght lifter and a marathon runner, the weight lifter would have similar diet preferences to other wieght lifters... but probably a little different to the marathon runner... whose diet is much more similar to the other marathon runners...

Then we could get onto people with busy hectic jobs with long hours having preferences for fast easy food... ect.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post

Going to have to disagree here, atheletes are attracted to healthy food, so would probably come out as having preferences for healthy foods, if we further specify atheletes are likely to eat certain foods depending on thier sport, a wieght lifter and a marathon runner, the weight lifter would have similar diet preferences to other wieght lifters... but probably a little different to the marathon runner... whose diet is much more similar to the other marathon runners...

Then we could get onto people with busy hectic jobs with long hours having preferences for fast easy food... ect.
    There are always exceptions.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Well i think you can find a decent amount of correlation to go between food and jobs, on top of what i already said, a person with a really good job would much more likely eat delicacys and luxurys, a person with a crap job thats hard work will want something cheap and quick...

Its not a huge correlation but more than an exception to the rule i think, someone well read on this type of thing could probably make a rough guess at the type of job someone has by looking at thier diet. the wieghtlifter giving himself away with his muscle foods, the ceo exposing himself via his luxury coorporate lunches including all kinds of delicacys, the factory worker who can't be bothered to do much more than stick something in the microwave or grab a burger on the way home... not a huge correlation but a fairly decent one...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Ah, statistics statistics! All of them are useless.

There are 3 kinds of lie's, Lies, Damned lies... and statistics!

Did you know 43% of all statistics are made up on the spot...
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 02-13-2009 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post

Well i think you can find a decent amount of correlation to go between food and jobs, on top of what i already said, a person with a really good job would much more likely eat delicacys and luxurys, a person with a crap job thats hard work will want something cheap and quick...

Its not a huge correlation but more than an exception to the rule i think, someone well read on this type of thing could probably make a rough guess at the type of job someone has by looking at thier diet. the wieghtlifter giving himself away with his muscle foods, the ceo exposing himself via his luxury coorporate lunches including all kinds of delicacys, the factory worker who can't be bothered to do much more than stick something in the microwave or grab a burger on the way home... not a huge correlation but a fairly decent one...
    Well of course there would be a level of socio-economic bias in the data. At the same time though I would contest that it is a direct result of the job someone does, but rather it is more a factor of the corresponding pay rates. Further, there is no denying that many of those in the lower socio-economic barriers would enjoy lobster and may have had it once - thus proving to be statistical anomalies.

Then we must also look at the inter-relation between race and socio-economic factors in determining food. For example many minority groups play into lower classes and as such there might be a strong leaning towards those food types in determining favourite foods.

This data sample could go on forever... now I am actually interested.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CA- the whole point of statistics is to create generalities. No statistic is perfect, but they can be very helpful, so long as those in need of them use them properly.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    CA- the whole point of statistics is to create generalities. No statistic is perfect, but they can be very helpful, so long as those in need of them use them properly.
    Yes I know, but that is the problem I would have with this data - the whole purpose appears to be to draw false conclusions. However, now I am really interested in exploring the similarities between socio-economic class and favourite food type.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Yes I know, but that is the problem I would have with this data - the whole purpose appears to be to draw false conclusions. However, now I am really interested in exploring the similarities between socio-economic class and favourite food type.
    Not at all. If that were the point, why do businesses utilize statistics so much? They need to know who to market a product to, where to market it to, where to expand, how they are perceived, etc... Not, of course, that statistics can't be used to draw false conclusions- however, this tends to be much more out of political or cultural convictions, not out of any fault of the statistic. Again, a statistic is just a number- what you draw from it is what's truly important.
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 02-13-2009 at 06:23.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

lol, I never said that I would suggest cause and effect. The reason that I am gathering this data is actually unrelated. It is for an economics study, and different professions have been put into different income and social class brackets. This is what is going to compared to diet. I did not mean to get into my project, just suggest how perfectly useless the idea of using an internet forum for social research is. :P

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Well, all you must have is honesty to take the pool.... and I believe there was a lot of honest man here....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Not at all. If that were the point, why do businesses utilize statistics so much? They need to know who to market a product to, where to market it to, where to expand, how they are perceived, etc... Not, of course, that statistics can't be used to draw false conclusions- however, this tends to be much more out of political or cultural convictions, not out of any fault of the statistic. Again, a statistic is just a number- what you draw from it is what's truly important.
    I can't help but feel we are arguing around each other... yet, there are most certainly ways that statistics can be made completely useless and redundant - by way of providing information about a product/person that is misleading then trying to draw an opinion about that. Look at just about any internet poll that links to a damning story for an example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I can't help but feel we are arguing around each other... yet, there are most certainly ways that statistics can be made completely useless and redundant - by way of providing information about a product/person that is misleading then trying to draw an opinion about that. Look at just about any internet poll that links to a damning story for an example of this.

lol, here is the thing with statistics, they represent something (whether that thing is important or not), simple. You just gotta be smart to tell what they really represent and if it is meaningful or not. It is easy for people to twist statistics around to make em look like something else, but they are always what they are, people just need to be smart enough to tell for themselves what the statistics mean. The fault therefore lies not in the statistics, but in the dishonesty of people who try to use them dishonestly, and the stupidity of people who are not smart enough to tell what they really mean. We just need to use predjudice when looking at them.