Thread: Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

Question Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

I have had different experiences when taking the "Home" province of factions in different games. Some just die (France and UP), others have lived on until their last province is taken (Austria, Prussia, Poland, Russia, Denmark, Mughal and Persia). Why the inconsistency? It seems strange to me, like some factions just give up, while others fight to the last gasp. France had only lost 2 regions (Alsace and France), but their extensive colonial empire went rebel. The Danes were left with just Iceland after I took Denmark, but they lingered on for ages. Does anyone have any ideas?

If Spain and Britain die when I take their home regions (could be soon), in my game as Prussia then there will be hardly any great powers left (France and UP already gone). Certainly no organised navies. Since I have no navy that will be a good thing indeed, but there will be no one powerful left to fight.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Post Re: Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

Clarification:

If you conquer every region of a particular faction in its home theatre, it will be destroyed. That being so, capitals hardly matter much.

Let's say a European faction has 4 regions in Europe (its home theatre), and other regions in America and India. Now, you suddenly conquer its 4 in Europe, which means it is destroyed. Its regions in both America and India, either of which isn't the faction's home theatre, will simply come under the ownership of the local rebel factions.

So, if you take Great Britain's regions in Europe, its American colonies will automatically emerge as the United States and other rebels in the area.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Default Re: Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

Playing Prussia, I had 5 regions a rebellion kicked off they took my home region capital & I was indeed wiped out. This does not seem to be the case for the AI as mentioned previously.

Possibly the inconsistencies relate to the happiness/taxation levels? Defeats do have an adverse affect on the governments popularity, so if you trounce a very unpopular gov. then its enough to cause mass rebellion. Where as a popular gov with low taxation levels will survive beyond a few defeats.

Post Re: Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

If you back a loosing side in a rebellion in your capital then you have indeed lost the game. but my understanding form take out other factions is you have to loose all your regions in you home theatre then your faction is dead but i assume you can loose your capital to an enemy. Just not to a rebellion in your capital.

Exclamation Re: Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

Yeah, that home rebellion is an exception. That's how you switch government types, through those home rebellions.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

That is why Iceland is a nice insurance against being destroyed. Just capture it as a land based faction and you will survive.
    Tosa Inu

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I might try conquering the Iberian peninsula, then head for the UK. Portugal is gone, so if I take out Spain and Britain then the New World will be only rebels, natives and the yanks.

Do provinces which go rebel have a chance to go pirate, especially in the Caribbean? Having lots of pirates running loose would make it more interesting.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

I have seen Pirates return after having eliminated them. I don't recall specific circumstances under which it occured. They did re-emerge in the Americas though.
    Magnum

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    I have seen Pirates return after having eliminated them. I don't recall specific circumstances under which it occured. They did re-emerge in the Americas though.
    Yep. If you kill the French or the UP their islands will become a new pirate stronghold and the pirates will reemerge.
    Tosa Inu

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aimlesswanderer View Post
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. I might try conquering the Iberian peninsula, then head for the UK. Portugal is gone, so if I take out Spain and Britain then the New World will be only rebels, natives and the yanks.

Do provinces which go rebel have a chance to go pirate, especially in the Caribbean? Having lots of pirates running loose would make it more interesting.

Spain is awkward to wipe out as they have many spread out regions in Europe, Spain (obviously), Lombardy (landlocked, you have to go through Genoa, Venice or Savoy) , Flanders, Corsica and Southern Italy.

All the islands in the Carribean will go pirate if the owning faction is destroyed (not sure about Cuba)...

Many Regions don't have an emergent faction (or are not pirate), they simply have "<Region name> Rebels" take over. The rebel troops are regional though which is a nice touch.

Playing Spain I wiped out the United Provinces with in one attack on their only region in Europe. Their out of theatre regions did as I stated above...

What I don't like is that France and Spain as large as they are, are just one big territory and not broken into two or maybe three regions. It makes the downfall of those two large empires so easy to accomplish.
    Creator of the Drum&Fife Mod for Empire:TW
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=286

Musician for the Warhammer 40K:WARP TC mod for Fallout 3, Works in progress link: http://www.myspace.com/godlessreactor

Smile Re: Faction Home Regions - if taken, the whole faction dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane View Post
    Spain is awkward to wipe out as they have many spread out regions in Europe, Spain (obviously), Lombardy (landlocked, you have to go through Genoa, Venice or Savoy) , Flanders, Corsica and Southern Italy.

All the islands in the Carribean will go pirate if the owning faction is destroyed (not sure about Cuba)...

Many Regions don't have an emergent faction (or are not pirate), they simply have "<Region name> Rebels" take over. The rebel troops are regional though which is a nice touch.

Playing Spain I wiped out the United Provinces with in one attack on their only region in Europe. Their out of theatre regions did as I stated above...
    Well as Prussia, I traded the Rhineland to Spain for Lombardy (killed Venice), Cuba, and New Mexico (gawd, completely useless, gave it away to my soon to be enemies Poland to waste their money). Next turn I retook Rhineland and took Flanders. My protectorate the Italian States have taken Naples. So that leaves the 3 Iberian provinces and the island. My 2 stacks which just took France are going to head south. Will have to build my first ship to get to Corsica!

Do any of the rebels actually do anything, or do they just wait to be conquered? From what I have seen (and previous games) they just sit there.

More pirates would make it more interesting at least, not just sitting there.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    What I don't like is that France and Spain as large as they are, are just one big territory and not broken into two or maybe three regions. It makes the downfall of those two large empires so easy to accomplish.
    Well, that's true but it also makes the map and troop movement easier to manage for the AI. Besides, if you give it the time France can become quite the monster, in my game at least, and I wouldn't consider it an easy victory if I ever tried to wipe them out.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by aimlesswanderer View Post
    New Mexico (gawd, completely useless, gave it away to my soon to be enemies Poland to waste their money)
    It's not completely worthless. But to reap the profits from the plantation, the province (as any other) needs acess to the sea. If you look closely, the road from NM leads to... Texas! So once you wipe out the Pueblo, NM makes some profit.

Same goes for the Plains province, the road leads to Michigan or one of the Louisianas iirc

I really find it silly that, even if they have conquered the entirety of America and India, taking Amsterdam eliminates the Dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Venom View Post
    It's not completely worthless. But to reap the profits from the plantation, the province (as any other) needs acess to the sea. If you look closely, the road from NM leads to... Texas! So once you wipe out the Pueblo, NM makes some profit.

Same goes for the Plains province, the road leads to Michigan or one of the Louisianas iirc
    Yup! Make sure your tradeable goods make it to your home region for great income!

I haven't got a single ship, so the evil brits would pirate it all anyway. Better to give it to the Polish to waste their money on, while I work on taking their land in Europe. I live fine off taxes, make 20k a turn and rising as I consolidate Spain and France. Now that I have conquered the 3 Iberian provinces my armies are heading east. Hopefully I can change to a republic before attacking the Poles, my people are a bit unhappy.