Thread: Essentual units to use 'Alt-Click' with

Default Essentual units to use 'Alt-Click' with

Hi guys,

I've heard certain units are much better when using there secondary weapon such as babylonian spearmen and hellenic elite infantry....is there or does anyone know of a list which mentions all these units?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Essentual units to use 'Alt-Click' with

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Hi guys,

I've heard certain units are much better when using there secondary weapon such as babylonian spearmen and hellenic elite infantry....is there or does anyone know of a list which mentions all these units?
    heavy cavalry.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Thorakitai hoplitai, Massaliotai hoplitai.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    heavy cavalry.
    Not if you're playing the AI or humans that don't use secondaries with their cav.

@Conan It isn't as simple as the secondary weapon being better than the primary. AFAIK there are bonuses for spears against cavalry, but no such bonuses when using swords or something else. So the question isn't complicated enough. You should ask: What type of unit am I using, and what type of unit am I up against? Then you can figure out by calculation which weapon is appropriate in that setting.
    Last edited by vartan; 06-19-2010 at 17:20.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Appea Gaedotos, Mori Gaesum

Galatikoi Kuarothoroi and their Arverni friends. Ahh, and Solduros.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Not if you're playing the AI or humans that don't use secondaries with their cav.

@Conan It isn't as simple as the secondary weapon being better than the primary. AFAIK there are bonuses for spears against cavalry, but no such bonuses when using swords or something else. So the question isn't complicated enough. You should ask: What type of unit am I using, and what type of unit am I up against? Then you can figure out by calculation which weapon is appropriate in that setting.
    it does give you a better edge-no matter how slightly it is. so to me, it is essential.

that's how I work; I pinch-penny my way to success
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    it does give you a better edge-no matter how slightly it is. so to me, it is essential.

that's how I work; I pinch-penny my way to success
    That's the thing, it doesn't. The primary weapon kills more enemy men than does the secondary weapon. This is the WTF?! phenomenon of the last half decade in EB.
    Former Projects:

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

From an MP stand point, the lance is ridiculous on cavalry. It is ALWAYS the best weapon to use versus other heavy cavalry. However the secondaries are good if you leave them in melee with infantry(that carry swords and have no AP).
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

yeah, ap - poking sticks for cavalry are quite overpowered, especially against armoured targets in melee, if you have BI, you could receive more realistic result by removing AP properties, adding 4 points of damage, and give power_charge attribute, that way, they stops being excellent can-opener with poking sticks, as well as being more realistically devastating to unarmoured infantry

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

The real problem with the lances is the .4 lethality - that's the kicker. It's needed to keep the charges effective. I'll see about power_charge.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    yeah, ap - poking sticks for cavalry are quite overpowered, especially against armoured targets in melee, if you have BI, you could receive more realistic result by removing AP properties, adding 4 points of damage, and give power_charge attribute, that way, they stops being excellent can-opener with poking sticks, as well as being more realistically devastating to unarmoured infantry
    Gamegeek is right about the lethality. It's so to make balanced the charge. So why do you say that the "poking stick" was more devastating to unarmoured infantry and that it is overpowered against armoured units in melee? Where did that come from?
    Former Projects:

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Gamegeek is right about the lethality. It's so to make balanced the charge. So why do you say that the "poking stick" was more devastating to unarmoured infantry and that it is overpowered against armoured units in melee? Where did that come from?
    try pitting TWO leuce epos (no javelin throwed) against a Nietos, and then try Pitting TWO leuce epos against a Milhant (unarmoured one), the nietos will be likely to be slaughtered, but the Milhant will got a close victory for the most...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Milnahts' half-naked bodies break lances!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    Milnahts' half-naked bodies break lances!
    and the lances seems reluctant to see Gaesatae's wee wee... they still alive after a lance pierce them for the first time
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Babylonian Heavy Spearmen (Shipri Tukul I believe)

Anyhow you want to avoid using alt click for most units that have a longsword primary and spear secondary. This mainly applies to Arjos, Solduros, Massalian Hoplites, Hypastpistai, and the Getai infantry elites...Men of Ordes or something like that. More may come to mind, but those units are all elites or good regulars and units most people would be rather fond of using, so watch out.

Would it be useful to disable some secondaries? For instance my Hypaspists keep switching from longsword to spear, rendering them weaker (ofc not against cav)
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

Quote Originally Posted by Moosemanmoo View Post
    Would it be useful to disable some secondaries? For instance my Hypaspists keep switching from longsword to spear, rendering them weaker (ofc not against cav)
    Just halt and reorder the attack every minute because the soldiers that fall are the ones that switch to spears (as if they had lost their sword...).
    Former Projects:

The unit with the most useless 2nd alt-click weapon? Sacred Band infantry.

It has a spear attack of 17, sword attack of 13 (no AP). Both weapons have a lethality of 0.13 and 0.13.

Even taking into account the -3 the spear gets for fighting against infantry, the spear is still better than the Sacred Band's sword against all opponent types. There is absolutely no reason to use the Sacred Band's alt-click sword in any situation.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Too bad it starts using the sword once it "drops" its spear when the S-Band soldier is shoved down to the ground and gets back up... Gotta love the engine!
    Former Projects:

Too bad it starts using the sword once it "drops" its spear when the S-Band soldier is shoved down to the ground and gets back up... Gotta love the engine!
    I think you can 'reequip' the Sacred Band with the spear if you repeatedly left click though... =)
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    I think you can 'reequip' the Sacred Band with the spear if you repeatedly left click though... =)
    Halt (backspace) >> Reorder attack (right-click on enemy unit). If you're quick you won't lose too many men in the process.
    Former Projects:

yep, that's exactly what I meant.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    From an MP stand point, the lance is ridiculous on cavalry. It is ALWAYS the best weapon to use versus other heavy cavalry. However the secondaries are good if you leave them in melee with infantry(that carry swords and have no AP).
    I remember asking this question here before. However the answer I got is that only infantry spear has bonus against cavalry, so you should still switch to your secondary weapon when your horsemen engage enemy cavalry. Now I'm really confused...

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

It has a super fast attack and can not be interrupted.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009