Thread: Steam unable to connect

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Steam unable to connect

Hey all,

I guess I'm growing desperate. I restarted my laptop a couple of days ago, and steam did its usual pop-up message to enter my password. I did, but it returned with the 'An error occurred while trying to connect', and gave me the option to retry, or use steam offline. Logging in from a browser works perfectly fine though! There are no issues with my internet connection, no changes in firewall settings, nothing at all. Anyone have any guesses? This has been going on for a couple of days, so it's not routine maintenance...

Thanks for any help!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: Steam unable to connect

have you been using a VPN service such as Hamichi?

popular for old games like Baldurs Gate, and quite aggressive a owning network resources which it doesn't give back while its switched off.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    Hey all,

I guess I'm growing desperate. I restarted my laptop a couple of days ago, and steam did its usual pop-up message to enter my password. I did, but it returned with the 'An error occurred while trying to connect', and gave me the option to retry, or use steam offline. Logging in from a browser works perfectly fine though! There are no issues with my internet connection, no changes in firewall settings, nothing at all. Anyone have any guesses? This has been going on for a couple of days, so it's not routine maintenance...

Thanks for any help!
    Type steam://flushconfig and use it in your browser address, then launch from the .exe file in the directory.

If this does not work, delete everything except for the folder where your games are and the .exe. Double click the .exe and it will reinstall itself.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    have you been using a VPN service such as Hamichi?

popular for old games like Baldurs Gate, and quite aggressive a owning network resources which it doesn't give back while its switched off.
    I haven't no. In fact the only thing that changed is i installed some Windows 7 updates!

Thanks Tiaexz, I'll try that!

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

Didn't help...

Blog Entries

So, apparently my modem had decided to download a SW update, and the UPnP ports became disabled... Fixed now! After uninstalling everything now need to get all my games back!