Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European prisons

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Default European prisons

So I have alot of friends that have been to prison. Whether for possession of narcotics, grand theft auto, one guy actually beat up some kid who spit in his face...and dad ended up being a prosecutor, etc etc. Im 18 years old(white), and very good at talking to the police but still scared of going to prison. It seems to me that its ridiculously easy to land up in there, 1 in 33 or so american adults are on probation or in a prison. And once you get out its construction jobs for the rest of your life. The odds are against me is what im trying to say.

So whats europe like? Google is providing next to no information. Are police more lenient over there (Iv heard the Scandinavian countries treat it as reform not punishment?) with giving out sentencing? Any info or links would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: European prisons

Gotten yourself into trouble?

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    So I have alot of friends that have been to prison.
    There's your problem.

Seriously, don't hang out with them and your chances of being jailed will dramatically decrease.

Oh, and never, ever, ever talk to the police.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Iv watched that video before. Nice advice about treating convicts like 2nd class citizens. Just because youve been doesnt mean your not a person. Theyre just as good as you are, cant believe im telling crazy rabbit this of all people.

And no fragony, my record is spotless. I just dont want to end up in prison. My friend terrys advice was if I ever go to virginia (where I live) penitentiary "Just go in there and say white power to the skinheads. Might have to get a swastika on your left shoulder. Theyre protect you, if you dont your probaly get raped by the in there...the skinheads might rape you too though". Im not keen on having that experiance.
    Last edited by Ser Clegane; 06-19-2010 at 19:57. Reason: personal attacks + improper language
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

So I have alot of friends that have been to prison. Whether for possession of narcotics, grand theft auto, one guy actually beat up some kid who spit in his face...and dad ended up being a prosecutor, etc etc. Im 18 years old(white), and very good at talking to the police but still scared of going to prison. It seems to me that its ridiculously easy to land up in there, 1 in 33 or so american adults are on probation or in a prison. And once you get out its construction jobs for the rest of your life. The odds are against me is what im trying to say.
    Well, clearly the odds aren't 1 in 33 for you...and you aren't going to jail for grand theft yeah? If you really want to know your odds you would have to consider your demographics and the crimes you are at risk for.

I don't think everyone who goes to prison ends up working construction either...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Well, clearly the odds aren't 1 in 33 for you...and you aren't going to jail for grand theft yeah? If you really want to know your odds you would have to consider your demographics and the crimes you are at risk for.

I don't think everyone who goes to prison ends up working construction either...
    The construction industry in USA has basically become a haven for felons.

But I get what you saying, I just think if I move away from USA ill have a very very reduced chance of landing in prison. The court system wants me in prison, theres no doubt about that.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've seen documentaries on US and UK prisons, and UK prisons seem much nicer. They're both messed up in their own way though. In the US it all seems to be about gang activity and just turns some petty offender into a hardcore criminal, whereas in the UK prison looks more like a slightly shoddy holiday resort.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

I just don't understand the USA here. What sane country/society can in good conscience imprison 1 in 33 persons during their lifetime and think this is somehow the natural state of things?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Don't get into a french prison. You'll never leave it sane or alive.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Maybe you need some new friends.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    I just don't understand the USA here. What sane country/society can in good conscience imprison 1 in 33 persons during their lifetime and think this is somehow the natural state of things?
    I don't know about sanity, but a country that declares war on human vices can do it.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

I do not understand the attitude of inevitability. The fact that 1 in 33 people have been imprisoned does not equate to a 1 in 33 chance that you will go to prison, as if the government were simply drawing names out of a hat. Although false imprisonment does occur, your chances of being imprisoned are almost completely dictated by your own actions. Do not engage in criminal activity, and do not socialize with people who do. Easy enough.

Who says it is unnatural? I would speculate far more than one in every thirty three people commit criminal acts in their lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Who says it is unnatural? I would speculate far more than one in every thirty three people commit criminal acts in their lifetime.
    We are in agreement here.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

If you want to get really technical about law breaking you could say nigh on everyone breaks the law.

My advice? Don't get caught.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Don't get into a french prison. You'll never leave it sane or alive.
    So I've heard, France is a pretty harsh country overall.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Iv watched that video before. Nice advice about treating convicts like 2nd class citizens. Just because youve been doesnt mean your not a person. Theyre just as good as you are, cant believe im telling crazy rabbit this of all people.
    I never said they weren't people.

But the thing is, as a group those friends have a habit of breaking the law. If you hang out with them, you will be more likely to engage in those criminal acts, I believe.

Though I don't see why you think the court system wants you in prison. I think it's much worse if the cops in your area want you in prison.

If your record is spotless you shouldn't have to worry about that though. Avoiding jail is simple; don't deal drugs or engage in criminal activity.

I think you're worrying about this too much.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

you should try go to some third world country, if you could pay the "retribution bill", when you do something very2 naughty, unless it involve killing, you won't be sent to the prisons.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I hear Norwegian prisons are very nice, been three years in a german prison myself and I cannot recommend it*.

It's no wonder that french prisons are really bad, I hear the French are big fans of Texas...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    *Nah, just kidding, only been to a church that was in a former prison building.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

just stumbled upon this and now understood, why americans fear prisons afterall

oh, such high rates of prisoners....

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Wow Cute Wolf that map is insane.

Apparently the leader of the free world is only challenged in its prison population by Rwanda...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

yupz, it looks like that you are more prone to going to jail when lived in USA... anybody wants to emigrate in my place? we have less jail, much less than the USA!!!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Hey, Mexico has less people in jail too. I bet you'd be safe there.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Hey, Mexico has less people in jail too. I bet you'd be safe there.
    Somalia and Afghanistan don't seem to have anyone incarcerated. Same with Greenland....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Normally I would say, "Man, I'm glad I'm not in the USA right now, pretty crappy place to live." Unfortunately, Canada's prison population isn't exactly ethnically distributed in my favour.

God, I hate cops. Go ahead, pull me over, then. Check out my vehicle if you want. I'm an indian, right? There must be cheap booze in there. Breathalizer test? For sure. .
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 06-21-2010 at 07:35. Reason: Language

My friend and I were stopped at the park after dark. Sure, thats illegal to be there after dark. But when the cop got to talking to us all it was about was "You sure you dont have any marijuana in your pockets? If I find it later you will be in much more trouble then if you show it to me now". Cops dont care about justice, or "protect and serve". They want me to break the law and go prison, theyd rather me be in there then out here in the free world.

Im actually seriosly considering moving to canada. I like being cold. My ultimate goal though is to live in Sweden, Iv heard its nice there. Ill father lots of little blond illegitimate babies too, I can guarantee that.

My friend and I were stopped at the park after dark. Sure, thats illegal to be there after dark. But when the cop got to talking to us all it was about was "You sure you dont have any marijuana in your pockets? If I find it later you will be in much more trouble then if you show it to me now". Cops dont care about justice, or "protect and serve". They want me to break the law and go prison, theyd rather me be in there then out here in the free world.

Im actually seriosly considering moving to canada. I like being cold. My ultimate goal though is to live in Sweden, Iv heard its nice there. Ill father lots of little blond illegitimate babies too, I can guarantee that.
    You were breaking the law and it's the cops that want you in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    You were breaking the law and it's the cops that want you in prison?
    He said we shouldnt be at the park after dark and that was the end of it. 90% of the conversation was focused on "What are you hiding from me? I know you smoke weed"

Why is it illegal to be in a park after dark and what were you doing there if you weren't smoking weed?
    And why didn't he arrest you for illegally migrating into the park after dark?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

So whats europe like? Google is providing next to no information. Are police more lenient over there (Iv heard the Scandinavian countries treat it as reform not punishment?) with giving out sentencing? Any info or links would be great.
    The largest reason for the high US prison population is the sentencing time and lower tendency to give fines. So yes the police can be considered to be more lenient in general. And one of the main pillars of crime fighting is the focus on reform here in Sweden.

Appearently the US had a normal prison population number until about 1975.

A cell from a high security prison, the article is actually unrelated to the cellhttp://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article6703550.ab. The article is about a guy complaining that he's too fat to sit his 1 month prison time for drunken driving btw.

I'm curious, how many blondes are it in the area? Since you'll need to be one to get a decent shot on getting blond babies (or at least blond one blond ancestor for yourself).

Funny that you're considering engaging in a behavior that spreads crime in this thread... That is unless your doing it with the same girl, then it's normal. Birth out of wedlock haven't been eyebrow rising since the seventies.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

british prisons seem like a doddle in comparison to the more 'hardcore' US experience.

p.s. lol at siggy'ing me, forgot i had said that.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast