Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Default Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Hello, and Welcome to Στα βήματα της Ρώμης(To the Steps of Rome). This is an interactive AAR and will work very much like Johnhughthom's Interactive AAR https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=115729. The current Faction leader (Me) will give reports of what has happened and you decide what to do next. All desicions will be yours, although I will handle minor construction (sewers, land clearance, etc.). You are the Council of Epieros. You will act just like a Senate. I need at least three people though before I start, so if you sign up, tell you're friends. To sign up just fill out the form at the bottom, and post it. Thanks and have fun.

Name: Name of council member
    Appearance: *cough* yeah...obvious
    Backround:(optional) just include some info on your character

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Name:Thaliarchos Nikodemos

Appearance:Nondescript

Background:A veteran of Pyrrhos' wars in Italy and Sicily he has had enough of fighting and wants to settle down and simply advise the current rulers. Seeing many of his friends killed by Romans has led to a pathological hatred of them and he will advocate policies which inflict harm on Rome no matter how illogical they are.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-21-2009 at 13:42.

Default Re: Στα βήματα της Ρώμης (To the Steps of Rome)--An Interactive Epieros AAR

Name: Pergamos Abantes

Description: Average height and build. Could be considered handsome, but for a scar running down his cheek.

Background: His main goal is to further his own political advancement. Has recently served as a cavalry officer in Pyrrhos's Italian campaign. Fiercely loyal to Epeiros as a whole, and wants to see Epeiros become a superpower. Utterly ruthless, and coldly logical. Stopped serving in the military, largely because his men hated him.
    Last edited by penguinking; 04-21-2009 at 05:02.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Name: Aikibedes Demotrias

Appearance, Medium build, medium height, and a bit of swiftness about him.

Description: Fought many wars against Makedonia and Greece, he has a great hatred for the 2 factions and will most likely try to pursue war with them. Born of a rich and nobile family, he wishes to also pursue a political career anyway possible, even if he has to go back to being an officer of a unit of Pezhetaroi.
    Last edited by Vasiliyi; 04-25-2009 at 17:28.

4x
    1x

oh wow. That was fast. Okay The Intro report will come shortly.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

OK, nice to see an Epeiros Interactive AAR. Makes me nostalgic of the days of mine... Anyway, good luck with it and just a minor correction: Vassilis, Thanasis etc. are Modern Greek, christian names. Just thought I'd point that out. If you want some proper Ancient Greek names, you can search your EB folder for a text file entitled "names" IIRC.

Maion
    ~Maion

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Aaah, ok i ll have to go look. I just looked online and I stumbled upon my own name so I picked it out. Thanks maion.

4x
    1x

Alrighty. Sorry 'bout the delay, with school and all it is hard to get on the computer. Anyway, Here we go.

First off, House Rules:
    1. Only two armies to start with. For every 5 new settlements, a new army can be made under the councils discretion. Emergency force can be recruited though. Each army stays in service for ten years, and no units are retrained.
    2. I will give treasury reports every season, but an official report will be only every two seasons.
    3. Debates can be started, but no insulting other people.

Report 1:
    I am sure you are all aware of the staring positions of Epieros, so I haven't included any screenies.

Pyrrhos walks in to the vaulted chamber and stares at the council members.

"Gentlemen of the senate. I now open the Council meeting. Word has reached me that there is some apprehension concerning the campaign against Makedon. The army is prepared to march, and all I need to do is give the order. But of course, your word is law, so what is the councils desicion? Should we march on Makedon? But you should also know that a Romani force is outside the gates of Taras, pillaging the countryside, and as you know we are at war. The small garrison is currently requesting reinforcements. What should be done. Demetrios' army is on standby as well, ready to attack the Makedonians, But the are also within striking distance of Thermom. Or perhaps, they are the force that can reinforce the Italian penisula. What does the council decide? Our current balance is 5000 mein."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaust the Moor View Post
    3. Debates can be started, but no insulting other people.

Whaaaat???!!!! Thats half the fun of these things.

Thaliarchos Nikodemos rises, ready to say his peace.

I say we cannot abandon the good Greek citizens of Taras, the Romans would rape and pillage at will if we allowed the barbarous scum free reign in the city. We MUST reinforce our position in Megale Hellas and drive the barbaroi from the south. Our losses were greivous last time, every man in this room knows that, but we have intimate knowledge of their tactics now. We can defeat them, we will defeat them. Rome must die.

He sits, eager to hear the response.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-21-2009 at 16:48.

This looks interresting. I will keep track of this and maybe join in later. Good luck to all of you.
    PYRRHOS NIKATOR!!!
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 04-21-2009 at 16:48. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Joining in 5...4...3...2...1

Name:Lysandros Ambrakikos

Appearence:Tall, muscular, medium speed.

Description: Veteran of Phyrros's italian campaign, he has many scars, including one on his neck. He is loyal to the eporite cause and loves to kill makedonian and roman scum.

I hope i can join! Plz. say
    Last edited by the man with no name; 04-24-2009 at 12:36.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

Pergamos Abantes rises to speak.

"Thaliarchos Nikodemos, your hatred for the Romans is legendary, and justified. But you cannot let that hatred get in the way of common sense. Pella, the jewel of Makedonia, stands poised to fall before our forces. The capture of Makedonia's capital will be a terrible blow to her power and prestige. We should seize it immediately, and then turn our forces southwards to Demetrias. Taras must fend for itself for now.

Rest assured, Thaliarchos, you will have your revenge. The Romans will be dealt with soon. But now we must focus on fighting Makedonia."
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post

Whaaaat???!!!! Thats half the fun of these things.

Thaliarchos Nikodemos rises, ready to say his peace.

I say we cannot abandon the good Greek citizens of Taras, the Romans would rape and pillage at will if we allowed the barbarous scum free reign in the city. We MUST reinforce our position in Megale Hellas and drive the barbaroi from the south. Our losses were greivous last time, every man in this room knows that, but we have intimate knowledge of their tactics now. We can defeat them, we will defeat them. Rome must die.

He sits, eager to hear the response.
    Well, I mean no like cussing each other out. I don't care about a little bickering

Thaliarchos gives Pergamos a dismissive glance.

Pah, my hatred does not get in the way of common sense. The Makedones are already embroiled in a war with the Athenian/Spartan alliance, while Rome sits comfortably with no other real enemies. If we focus our attention on the Makedones we will allow Rome to get stronger and it will be more and more difficult to defeat them. We need to attack Rome NOW, waiting is not an option, the small band in Taras will not withstand an assault and if it falls dislodging the barbaroi will be a bloodbath. Pella can wait, Makedon can wait, Rome must die.

Well, I mean no like cussing each other out. I don't care about a little bickering
    I know what you meant Ghaust, I was only kidding.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-22-2009 at 02:15.

Quote Originally Posted by the man with no name View Post
    Joining in 5...4...3...2...1

Name:TBD

Appearence:Tall, muscular, medium speed.

Description: Veteran of Phyrros's italian campaign, he has many scars, including one on his neck. He is loyal to the eporite cause and loves to kill makedonian and roman scum.

I hope i can join! Plz. say
    .... jkjk
    By the way, what does TBD mean?
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 04-22-2009 at 02:23.

To Be Decided?

oh yeah. That makes sense.
    Well, the next report will come tommorrow, giving the council time to go over things.
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 04-22-2009 at 02:32.

Pergamos returns Thaliarchos' glance with a cold stare.

"You continue to be ruled by your emotions, rather than logic. Rome has to deal with traitors in Rhegion, as well as savage Celts to the north. Taras will not fall as easily as you think. We have a superb opportunity to defeat Makedonia, and it's one we should not pass up. How long do you think the Spartans and Athenians will last against Makedonia unless we help them? And right now, the Romans are well prepared to defend against an attack. Or have you forgotten Beneventum?

If we defeat the Makedons, however, Epeiros' economy will boom, and we should have more than enough resources to pursue a war with Rome. If you feel Taras is in too much danger- personally, I think it can likely hold out- then a better solution would be negotiated a temporary truce with the Romans, until we can focus our undivided attention on them."
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

Pyrrhos rises from his chair to speak:

"Has anyone considered the possiblilty of a joint campaign? The war with makedon will indeed boost our economy, but as I know the Romani's battle formation, I believe that Taras won't hold against an attack. The Romani troops are of better quality than our own, and the outmanouver the Phalanx quite easily. If we ally ourselves with the Carthagians, maybe we can cooridinate a joint attack. Maybe we could send Demetrios' army to Taras, and plan a campaign while I lead the first army to Pella. But of course, the desicion is yours."

Pyrrhos sits, hoping he didn't insult the council with his suggestions.
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 04-22-2009 at 02:49.

Pergamos nods his assent.

"Your decision is wise, Basileus. It is not a reasonable compromise, Thaliarchos? Pyrrhos' army will take Pella while Demetrios' presence in Taras will prevent the Romans you seem to fear so much from becoming too strong. The Carthaginians are our enemies, however, and they have not forgotten the defeats inflicted on them in Sicily. I think they are unlikely to ally with us."
    Last edited by penguinking; 04-22-2009 at 02:57.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

Thaliarchos stands looking puzzled.

Hmm, I am confused. Pyrrhos has spoken of allying with Carthage and Pergamos has spoken wisely. pinches himself am I dreaming? No. Hmm, in that case then I agree with Pergamos. If you believe taking on the Makedones is that important and that we can sustain a two front war I agree with the proposal. As for allying with Carthage, I can think of only one thing worse, allying with Rome. Rome must die

He sits, visibly less angry than before.

I want to join in

Name: Hayk Mamekonian

appearance:He was tall for a Hay (Armenian) but was of normal height for Hellenic people. Had black hair and dark green eyes. Was very muscular build.

Descreption: A mercenary general who has been fighting in many wars for 35 years now. The last 5 years he has been under the command of the Epieros kingdom and it's king now he was a member of the council. But he was still loyal to Hayastan and would help it where he could.

Hayk stands up and looks in the room.

"I believe right now we should concentrate and conquer a part of Hellas before we concentrate our forces to fight against the Romans. I'm not saying leaving Taras to stand alone against Roman power. Send a defensive force to defend Taras till we can muster and true army and attack the Romans and destroy them. I know many of you wont agree with me but we don't need war on two fronts and the chance of our enemies join their forces against us. We can't use that right now."
    Last edited by Karo; 04-22-2009 at 16:21.
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Karo View Post
    I want to join in

Name: Hayk Mamekonian

appearance:He was tall for a Hay (Armenian) but was of normal height for Hellenic people. Had black hair and dark green eyes. Was very muscular build.

Descreption: A mercenary general who has been fighting in many wars for 35 years now. The last 5 years he has been under the command of the Epieros kingdom and it's king now he was a member of the council. But he was still loyal to Hayastan and would help it where he could.

Hayk stands up and looks in the room.

"I believe right now we should concentrate and conquer a part of Hellas before we concentrate our forces to fight against the Romans. I'm not saying leaving Taras to stand alone against Roman power. Send a defensive force to defend Taras till we can muster and true army and attack the Romans and destroy them. I know many of you wont agree with me but we don't need war on two fronts and the chance of our enemies join their forces against us. We can't use that right now."
    Good to have ya. Next report in an hour.

Pyrrhos stands again:

"The council has spoken, The second army (I need more creative greek names) under Demetrios, sets sail for Taras and he will arrive within the year. We will need plan the campaign for next year. I will lead the first army to pella, and besiege the makedonian homeland. I shall report later on the matter of taking the city, but as I said, that is a matter for another day. We will attempt a joint campaign but we will be careful, and will choose our steps wisely. It may also be possible to take the free states in Rhegion"

Pyrrhos turns on the balls of his feet and steps out of the room.
    Last edited by Ghaust the Moor; 04-22-2009 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    To Be Decided?
    I need a good greek name. Also it's To Be Determined
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Sorry about the delay. Something unexpected came up.

272 BCE- Summer

Pyrrhos walks into the room, angry as ever.

"Gentlemen of the council, I have some news. Soon after we besieged the city of Pella, we were attacked. A relief force from Demetrias attacked us in a overwhelming attack. In the end they were utterly beaten, but the cost was high, we lost approxamatly 230 men, including nearly half our elephants. The loss off the elephants was strickly my fault, as I made the mistake of charging them at heavy skirmisher cavalry. I had thought, they were regular cavalry, and nearly all the elephant losses were in that charge. Good news is that a lot of the casualties were healed from thier wounds, and can partake in the taking of the city. A small portion of the enemy escape back to Pella, but they shall be but a small annoyance. Second army under Demetrios' command have just arrived on the Italic penninsula, but should arrive in the city by Fall. Now, We need to discuss taking the city of Pella. It has very few men left to defend it, so should we attack or starve them out? If we attack, should we produce siege weopons? Or are the Elephants enough? Also, we need to think about the campaign in Italy. We have signed a ceasefire with Carthage, so if they declare war on the Romani, we may find an ally. Or have your thoughts, on a double campaign changed? Anyway, I leave floor open to you men of the Council."

Pyrrhos walks over to his seat and sits down.

I had intended to include screenshots of the battle but for some reason, It didn't save them anywhere. I think I did it wrong, so help would be apprecciated.

Pergamos Abantes rises.

"The loss of so many elephants is saddening, those will be difficult to replace. At least Pella lies at our mercy now, so strike immediately, using the remaining elephants to batter through the walls. And astonishingly enough, I find myself in agreement with Thaliarchos. I would do almost anything to defeat the Romans... except allying with Carthage."
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the man with no name View Post
    I need a good greek name. Also it's To Be Determined
    What about Lysandros Ambrakikos (Lysandrus of Ambracia)? Lysandros means "He Who Frees Men".

Maion
    ~Maion

I had intended to include screenshots of the battle but for some reason, It didn't save them anywhere. I think I did it wrong, so help would be apprecciated.
    Generally I just use the print screen button, they are then stored in a folder called TGAs in your Rome Total War folder. You need to turn Anti Aliasing off for this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    What about Lysandros Ambrakikos (Lysandrus of Ambracia)? Lysandros means "He Who Frees Men".

Maion
    Thx :D
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast