Thread: Canada going to Pot?

Default Canada going to Pot?

In the long run-up to the next election, the Liberal leadership comes out in favor of legalization/taxation.
    The stance harmonizes with the majority of the electorate, but is it a winning stance? How would the policy mesh/conflict with any prior commitments in the War on Drugs?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...-strategy.html

I think the stance is nice but not important. Noise for the machine, it gets air-time and free publicity for a 3rd place party. Might we dream of legal weed in Canada?
    After all, the recommendation to decriminalize is almost 40years old, so legal pot in Canada by 2112?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Default Re: Canada going to Pot?

Potheads are losers.

Fact.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    In the long run-up to the next election, the Liberal leadership comes out in favor of legalization/taxation.
    The stance harmonizes with the majority of the electorate, but is it a winning stance? How would the policy mesh/conflict with any prior commitments in the War on Drugs?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...-strategy.html

I think the stance is nice but not important. Noise for the machine, it gets air-time and free publicity for a 3rd place party. Might we dream of legal weed in Canada?
    After all, the recommendation to decriminalize is almost 40years old, so legal pot in Canada by 2112?
    Yes it is naked voted buying by Trudeau, courting the hard left vote and all. However two US states have made it legal. And you'll note this comes after such legalizations. I've long suspected our continued prohibition of weed was based more on foreign relations real politic (IE the useless war on drugs) than sound domestic policy.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Potheads are losers.

Fact.
    Doing just fine really

Good idea for Canada at least

Members thankful for this post (2):

I agree with lars573 so far as it designed to make headlines.
    Will have to see if Trudeau can offer anything new/exciting as far as economic policy.
    Pot is not an election winner, though with the right policy mix it could nudge a good segment of the electorate.

*Puts away tea party paraphernalia* (A real tea party-mushroom tea, weed/hash delicacies; not those American pretenders)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

How illegal is it in Canada? Here in the States it's lumped in with angel dust and smack and users face harsh penalties, but I can't imagine Canadian jails are currently overflowing with potheads.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    How illegal is it in Canada? Here in the States it's lumped in with angel dust and smack and users face harsh penalties, but I can't imagine Canadian jails are currently overflowing with potheads.
    Might get boring by now but I don't see the need to legalise it. Especially in the south it willbe much bette to stop bullying teenagers and do something usefull

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
    Pot is schedule II (of six) and the only thing there. And both Possession or trafficking carrying maximum of 5 years in prison. Exportation carries a maximum of life in prison. Production a maximum of 7 years. You'll note there's no minimum. And Canada has no human rights violating 3 strike rules.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

It is interesting.
    With the overall crime-rate at an all time low, the present government is beating the drum and targeting drugs. Cannabis users of course bear the brunt of it.
    Good article:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/06/10/w...ize-marijuana/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Haven't read it, but do they mention the 6 billion loss per state oer year for those who are into the trade

I have no idea about the particulars.
    I do interpret the War on Drugs as a direct subsidy to organized crime.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    I have no idea about the particulars.
    I do interpret the War on Drugs as a direct subsidy to organized crime.
    It's the avarage amount of money per (southern) state crime cartels would lose, 6 billion dollars, I doubt that won't get really nasty. Canada doesn't have that problem though