Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend has it that the Inuit have many different words to describe snow

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Default Legend has it that the Inuit have many different words to describe snow

I'd like to add one more word to the list. It's a compound word, and it's English version is spelled

We currently have 4 feet on the ground with another 6 inches predicted for today, and tomorrow, and the day after that and the day after that till....seemingly the end of time. My free time has been reduced to the "way of the shovel" just so I can have the priviledge of parking in my driveway and getting in the house via the door instead of climbing in a second story window. Anyone else looking forward to spring?
    Last edited by Hosakawa Tito; 01-20-2009 at 18:54.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: Legend has it that the Inuit have many different words to describe snow

I'm right there with you, brother. With about 2 feet already on the ground, we got 6 inches Saturday night. I snowblowed the driveway (it takes me about 1.5 hours to do that and shovel the walk). I go to church, it's still snowing. By 1PM, an additional 6 inches had fallen. I cleared the driveway and walk again. Watched some football, did some homework, another 6 inches had accumulated, so guess where I was at 9PM? That's right, 3 times in one day... and just for good measure, Frost-miser sent another 6 inches over night Sunday night (2 feet in 36 hours!) and guess who began the day, you guessed it, clearing the driveway and the walk.

Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-20-2009 at 18:52.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Legend has it that the Inuit have many different words to describe snow

Bless you blokes in the Northern tier.

Southside Virginia (Va Beach, Suffolk, NE North Carolina) cancelled school today....to cope with the 0.5" of snow they had and the 2-3 additional inches predicted.

"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Over here we've got week long stretches of above 40 degree weather at ski areas.

I wouldn't mind sharing some of that weather and snow.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

70 here. Not a cloud in the sky. Think I'll go out and play baseball.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

You know Strike, just before Christmas, I had the pleasure of making a trip to Texas for business. Even got to see the small towns, as I had to drive from Dallas to Austin one day, and back the next.

You've been holding out on us, my friend. All these details about the glories of Texas, and not a peep about your greatest treasure... Bone Daddys?

Seriously, great, great place. I really enjoyed my stay. Even got to have some barbecue at some famous barbecue place that's also a gas station/garage, but I forget the name. Yummy.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-20-2009 at 19:55.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Send the snow down here. It's been cold enough, but we keep getting missed. Raleigh, of all places, just got 6" of snow, but we get squat.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    You know Strike, just before Christmas, I had the pleasure of making a trip to Texas for business. Even got to see the small towns, as I had to drive from Dallas to Austin one day, and back the next.

You've been holding out on us, my friend. All these details about the glories of Texas, and not a peep about your greatest treasure... Bone Daddys?

Seriously, great, great place. I really enjoyed my stay. Even got to have some barbecue at some famous barbecue place that's also a gas station/garage, but I forget the name. Yummy.
    Heard of Bone Daddys but never been. I'm glad you got some good BBQ but if you want the best you have to go to mom and pop places that have to close at 3 or 4 because they have run out of brisket. Luling Texas has the best (at least this is the rumor, I have never moseyed over but Redleg vouches for it so I believe him)

Small towns on 35? Hehehehe. Those are medium sized towns! lol. You want to see small, hop on I-20 or one of the state highways more pump jacks than people!

Texas is a great place you should move down here! Glad you had a good time.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We've got about a foot or so that's built up over a while now. Last week was brutal due to unbelievably cold temperatures. My UNI town set a new record low temperature at -28 degrees Farenheit, not including wind chill.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    We've got about a foot or so that's built up over a while now. Last week was brutal due to unbelievably cold temperatures. My UNI town set a new record low temperature at -28 degrees Farenheit, not including wind chill.
    That's nice seireikhaan, but we were talking about Texas...
    This space intentionally left blank

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Threadgill's? Where Janis Joplin did some of her first gigs? It really was a gas station too for the longest while.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

*Soaks up all of the sun*
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I always get an urge to take a year studying in another country this time of the year....

Oh well, I shouldn't complain, at least I no longer have exercises in Northern Norway anymore... -45 degrees celcius, shouldn't be legal.

A steady temperature of -10 degrees, that's the good stuff. Why, oh why, can't that happen?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

I'm right there with you, brother. With about 2 feet already on the ground, we got 6 inches Saturday night. I snowblowed the driveway (it takes me about 1.5 hours to do that and shovel the walk). I go to church, it's still snowing. By 1PM, an additional 6 inches had fallen. I cleared the driveway and walk again. Watched some football, did some homework, another 6 inches had accumulated, so guess where I was at 9PM? That's right, 3 times in one day... and just for good measure, Frost-miser sent another 6 inches over night Sunday night (2 feet in 36 hours!) and guess who began the day, you guessed it, clearing the driveway and the walk.

Be glad you don't live in larger sub-urban lot where shovling by hand or with a snow blower is totally impractical and impossible. And you have to rely on some yahoo idiot with a plow truck. Who doesn't put winter tires on his plow truck (which doesn't have 4x4 power) and has no clue how to plow.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    *Soaks up all of the sun*
    Yeah, just hang on a sec, gotta go turn the aircon on. Man its hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Member Member Beren Son Of Barahi's Avatar

its horribly cold here; 91oF....

cold beer and a nice park for a sit down and a read of a book...
    The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Bless you blokes in the Northern tier.

Southside Virginia (Va Beach, Suffolk, NE North Carolina) cancelled school today....to cope with the 0.5" of snow they had and the 2-3 additional inches predicted.

The city of Virginia beach only has 2 snowplows and they are owned by the state so state roads get plowed first with the city leasing them from the state after the interstates get plowed. Its not justified to have a budget for snowplows for snow that occurs once every 2-4 years
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty View Post
    The city of Virginia beach only has 2 snowplows and they are owned by the state so state roads get plowed first with the city leasing them from the state after the interstates get plowed. Its not justified to have a budget for snowplows for snow that occurs once every 2-4 years
    You're right of course, but I still roll my eyes over local responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty View Post
    What do you need a plow for when all you got is a couple of inches of snow...?

Well, I should be plowing my driveway, it's too big and too much snow for a snowblower, but I'm cheap. At $40 a plow, sometimes two to three plows per storm, it can really add up over a winter.

Just checked the weather. We've had a nice 1 week break, but it would appear that we're getting another 10-12 inches tomorrow. With sleet at the end, just to add to the enjoyment. (That's 25-30cm for my European friends).

Strike for the South

agitated Member master of the puppets's Avatar
    where destruction lay around me from a fight i could not win

Talking Re: Legend has it that the Inuit have many different words to describe snow

yeah i get worried every time i hear about snow. my driveway is a hell of a incline up and every time it snows i can barely get up it, even in my suburban! last time my driveway iced to bad when i came in real late my truck ice skated the entire way down the driveway and ended up doing a full 180. scariest thing in my life considering alll my families cars were at the bottom of the hill.
    yeah like 5 inches predicted for my lil part of new jersey. i am getting so sick of snow.

o btw, i have not been on the org for quite a while and i have to ask. Are they still having those intense Global Warming discussions in the backroom?
    A nation of sheep will beget a a government of wolves. Edward R. Murrow

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. —1 John 2:9

I believe the current theory put forth is that all the cold and snow are actually caused by global warming, but I'm afraid my limited mind cannot fathom how. Personally, I'm hopeful for some global warming, at least some New Hampshire warming anyway...

Strike for the South

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

If global warming is true than britian shall infact get colder because of global warming, something to do with warm currents being brought up to britian making it warmer than it should be, and global warming affects those currents...

dont think we've discussed global warming for a fair while... ive seen one poster make a fair few references to a global warming religion recently though...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    What do you need a plow for when all you got is a couple of inches of snow...?
    HA! Apparently you've never visited the land of the "winter driving challenged". Think demolition derby on ice in an urban arena. The plows are actually needed for their sanding/salting function more than snow removal because icy roads are the more common hazard than snow on the East Coast sections of states such as Virginia. Most locals don't have the winter conditions driving experience/skills/knowledge that those who deal with it every season have. Snow birds who have moved to these states handle these conditions with little problem, however it only takes a few dummies driving 70 mph with bald tires on the old jalopy on an ice slick major highway to screw things up for everyone.

Well, I should be plowing my driveway, it's too big and too much snow for a snowblower, but I'm cheap frugal.
    Mea culpa. My snowplow operator *who also happens to be my brother-in-law* unexpectedly moved the family to Florida a few weeks before Christmas *owes me money too*. Leaving me in the lurch. I don't even have a snowblower, and no convenient place to store one, yet. It's just me and my trusty shovel. Lord knows I need the exercise, but I can't remember the last time the temperature has been above freezing.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Diary of a Snow Shoveller

So, you want to be up North????

Subject: Diary of a Snow Shoveler

December 8:
    6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9:
    We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12:
    The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man. I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14:
    Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to - 20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. l didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15:
    20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16:
    Ice storm this morning. Fell on my on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, Which I think was very cruel.

December 17:
    Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20:
    Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the dang stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Goddamn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22:
    Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the is lying.

December 23:
    Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!?! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24:
    6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the goddamn snowplow.

December 25:
    Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to kill her.

December 26:
    Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27:
    Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.

December 28:
    Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. THE is driving me crazy!!!!!

December 29:
    10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30:
    Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31:
    Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8:
    I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
    Last edited by Hosakawa Tito; 01-27-2009 at 23:22. Reason: daisifying colorful expressions
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Lol!!

good ending!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    HA! Apparently you've never visited the land of the "winter driving challenged". Think demolition derby on ice in an urban arena. The plows are actually needed for their sanding/salting function more than snow removal because icy roads are the more common hazard than snow on the East Coast sections of states such as Virginia. Most locals don't have the winter conditions driving experience/skills/knowledge that those who deal with it every season have. Snow birds who have moved to these states handle these conditions with little problem, however it only takes a few dummies driving 70 mph with bald tires on the old jalopy on an ice slick major highway to screw things up for everyone.
    Yes, the ice I can understand, unexpected patches of dark ice here and there can make a mess of the best of us... But with just a couple of inches of snow, how does it even stay on the road? I mean... won't the cars driving there melt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Mea culpa. My snowplow operator *who also happens to be my brother-in-law* unexpectedly moved the family to Florida a few weeks before Christmas *owes me money too*. Leaving me in the lurch. I don't even have a snowblower, and no convenient place to store one, yet. It's just me and my trusty shovel. Lord knows I need the exercise, but I can't remember the last time the temperature has been above freezing.
    Snowblowers? Plow? HAH!

I spent my weekend shoveling out the snow with a good, old shovel. And the snow was so high it covered half of the windows on my car... Something around a metre, or 3-4 feet for the metrically challenged. Damn that wind....

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

I believe the current theory put forth is that all the cold and snow are actually caused by global warming, but I'm afraid my limited mind cannot fathom how. Personally, I'm hopeful for some global warming, at least some New Hampshire warming anyway...
    Warmer weather can mean changed weather patterns and thus local anomalies. For example changes in the Labrador stream would have considerble impact on your local climate, like the Gulf stream does for us.

Anyway, could you send those 30 cm snow over? We seems to have gotten most of our snow misplaced.

Hosa, how common is that with morons who doesn't know how a roof is supposed to look like with heavy winter climate? I mean needing to showel the roof?
    Last edited by Ironside; 01-27-2009 at 22:51.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Warmer weather can mean changed weather patterns and thus local anomalies. For example changes in the Labrador stream would have considerble impact on your local climate, like the Gulf stream does for us.

Anyway, could you send those 30 cm snow over? We seems to have gotten most of our snow misplaced.

Hosa, how common is that with morons who doesn't know how a roof is supposed to look like with heavy winter climate? I mean needing to showel the roof?

You are more than welcome to them, and any others slated for my neck of the woods, my friend. Now, if I could just get handy-dandy weather relocator up and running, it should be over to Gothenburg, or wherever you reside, pronto.

Was your question to Hosa about designing a roof that can bear the load of full snow on it? Well, funny thing about that... they've had to change the building codes. You see, prior to the 80s, we didn't insulate our houses so well. As heat escaped through the roof, it would melt the snow or cause it to slide off, and thus earlier codes weren't particularly rigorous.

With the advent of better insulation came the cumulative affect of unmelted snow laying on an frigid mass, never likely to melt, or slide. So if the builder cut corners, saying "the roof will last through any one storm", but then the homeowner insulated, the roof may not be able to tolerate cumulative snow weight through the course of the winter.

No kidding, even here in Maine and New Hampshire, where we get a LOT of snow, older roofs collapsing under the weight of snow can be an issue. Uncommon, but not unheard of.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-27-2009 at 23:21.

Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    What what what? Seriously? It's barren in Sweden? Is that why we got so much of it? The snow just decided to stop at the border? GAH!

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

You are more than welcome to them, and any others slated for my neck of the woods, my friend. Now, if I could just get handy-dandy weather relocator up and running, it should be over to Gothenburg, or wherever you reside, pronto.

Was your question to Hosa about designing a roof that can bear the load of full snow on it? Well, funny thing about that... they've had to change the building codes. You see, prior to the 80s, we didn't insulate our houses so well. As heat escaped through the roof, it would melt the snow or cause it to slide off, and thus earlier codes weren't particularly rigorous.

With the advent of better insulation came the cumulative affect of unmelted snow laying on an frigid mass, never likely to melt, or slide. So if the builder cut corners, saying "the roof will last through any one storm", but then the homeowner insulated, the roof may not be able to tolerate cumulative snow weight through the course of the winter.

No kidding, even here in Maine and New Hampshire, where we get a LOT of snow, older roofs collapsing under the weight of snow can be an issue. Uncommon, but not unheard of.
    I live a bit to the northeast, something around 1200 km away from Gothenburg.

Was simply curious, almost all roofs here are tilted and covered with metal sheets, making them a nice slippery deathtrap should you be mad enough to go up on them. But even the rare buildings with a flat roof got thier main problem with mold, as the draination system won't work properly during the spring (they might actually be shoveled though, just never seen it).

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    What what what? Seriously? It's barren in Sweden? Is that why we got so much of it? The snow just decided to stop at the border? GAH!
    Not barren, I said most of it was misplaced. We got around 10-15 cm up here. I can give you a hint btw, at the border, there's a lot of those thingies called mountains that are very good at capturing the snow.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast