Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polygamy

Default Polygamy

I was reading a news item about polygamy and got to wondering why it is taboo, at least in the West.

One of the people interviewed asked the question; what has it to do with the state, how, why and what I marry?

Is this a hangover from the days when the West was dominated by organised Christianity? Or is there another practical reason?

I'm currently undecided about it.

So, polygamy, a good or a bad thing and why?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Polygamy

As long as everyone consents I don't see any problem with it - the state really has no place at all in marriage.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

The main downside i see is that it could leave to an uneven ratio of single men to single women, i now there is a disparity already (can't remember which way) but if a lot of men started taking more than one wife i think we could run into problems...

If men and women did it in equal measure i suppose that would solve that problem... the only issue then though would be the finest cuts taking by the biggest and best in society leaving the rest of us to fight over the scraps...

Outside of those two concerns i don't really have a moral issue with it...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What people get up to in their own home with everyone consenting is not the state's concern - as long as the state isn't having to pay for the consequences.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    The main downside i see is that it could leave to an uneven ratio of single men to single women, i now there is a disparity already (can't remember which way) but if a lot of men started taking more than one wife i think we could run into problems...
    I think most women and men would only be interested in monogamous marriages anyway. I wouldn't see that as a big issue.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Fine with me as long as nobody is forced to do the procedure.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-20-2009 at 14:12.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

my ancestors way back had it. why not now?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I think most women and men would only be interested in monogamous marriages anyway. I wouldn't see that as a big issue.

I think women would be more likely too... I think most male millionaires could build up a fairly big collection wives without too much trouble... even those just outside the millionaire club could get quite a few as well, though i think your probably right, it's something that could become an issue but would likely not...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I'm a supporter of it, both Male and Female polygamy. Monogamy is simply an imposition of Christianism on society. As long as it is consenting I'd support it. The problem would arise in terms of wills. The whole law concerning wills would have to be radically altered.
    BLARGH!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

How many people should I put in power positions over me? I have trouble enough keeping up with the one....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    How many people should I put in power positions over me? I have trouble enough keeping up with the one....
    No kidding. I'd never get any gaming in if I had to deal with more than one woman...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Well marriage is only a legal contract anyway, so really it's up to the individual as to how they choose to live. There was a particular case in the UK of a man with about three wives (one his "real" wife and two "common law") and a whole tribe of kids. At the end of the day if people want to live like that, they'll do so anyway; marriage or no marriage.
    Last edited by caravel; 02-20-2009 at 18:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    Well marriage is only a legal contract anyway, so really it's up to the individual as to how they choose to live. There was a particular case in the UK of a man with about three wives (one his "real" wife and two "common law") and a whole tribe of kids. At the end of the day if people want to live like that, they'll do so anyway; marriage or no marriage.
    Oh noes! That's torn it!

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

I want more womens.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    As long as everyone consents I don't see any problem with it - the state really has no place at all in marriage.
    QFT
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

No reason other than sentiment/ cultural and religous hangover

immigration rules prevent a man from bringing more than one wife to settle with him in the UK.
    this bit made me laugh - akward conversation or what

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

It goes strictly against my anti marriage stance.

My kingdom for a .

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I'm a supporter of it, both Male and Female polygamy.
    Pardon me for being a stickler, but even though "polygamy" (polys (many) gamos (marriages)) ought to refer to both male and female arrangements, it's traditionally used to refer to one male + many females. The most rightest bestest word for one woman + many males is "polyandry."
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-20-2009 at 23:18.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Pardon me for being a stickler, but even though "polygamy" (polys (many) gamos (marriages)) ought to refer to both male and female arrangements, it's traditionally used to refer to one male + many females. The most rightest bestest word for one woman + many males is "polyandry."
    Personally, I like to refer to it as A bad idea.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 02-20-2009 at 23:30.

My kingdom for a .

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I'm with Seamus, and I'd like to take it a step further. Forget about how many people can be in power over you, I'd like to ask you all if you've thought of the effect of being WRONG that many times....

On a a more serious note, I believe that actually monogamy laws, like common law marraiges, were designed within the past 200 to 300 years to protect... women. It's not so much Christian zealousness as making sure what happened out in Northeastern Arizona with the fundamentalist mormons doesn't happen.... young females being objectified and traded as chattel with no rights. I'm not going to say 19th century America and Europe were particularly egalitarian to women by modern standards, but it was an effort, an all journeys begin with the first few steps.

Personally, I'd say the reason has come and gone, and so threrefore should the legal prohibitions. If some poor sob is delusional enough to take on that much heartache, then by all means, let him. It's not like there's enough of them out there to really tip the scales.

And Grizz, the numbers are slight, very slight, but slightly ahead for men then women. The ratio of baby boys born to baby girls is 49.8 to 50.2. You add into that warfare and young men's more suicidal natures in general (like drag racing to impress girls) and you get the picture.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 02-21-2009 at 00:00.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Firstly it is not a Christian thing. Us heathens are historically monogamous too.

I would not object to polygamy if:

a) It is symmetrical. Not just polyandry or polygyny (ooohh I am so excited using all these Greek words!) but both.

b) It is mentioned from the start in the marriage contract. So when a couple is to get married they decide whether they enter a monogamous marriage (where they are not allowed to marry other people) or a polygamous marriage. This should be established to protect against what I like to call the 'Anna Nicole Smith phenomenon'.

What makes me a bit reluctant about allowing polygamy is that:

a) It will be abused by religious groups. In a western society it will just allow Muslim men to be polygamous. No way they would accept polygyny. Consequently the rights of a Muslim female (severely restricted as they are by political correctness) will be abused further.

b) It will allow all those good-for-nothings (the ones who produce children to obtain social support and benefits) to pop kids out at an even faster rate. If Johny Whitetrash is currently you off because he buys beer with your tax money (instead of feeding his 7 kids) imagine how he will you off when he can easilly have 25 of them.

As for me. I would be strictly monogamous anyway. Not because a wife is so much trouble but because I feel that what you share with a lifetime partner (at the emotional level) is not worth losing just because you met a girl 20 years younger. As my wise ancestors said 'Ινα λυχνία σβησθήσει, πάσα γυνή ομοία !' <-- When the lantern is off, all women are the same'
    Last edited by rasoforos; 02-21-2009 at 05:46.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    b) It will allow all those good-for-nothings (the ones who produce children to obtain social support and benefits) to pop kids out at an even faster rate. If Johny Whitetrash is currently you off because he buys beer with your tax money (instead of feeding his 7 kids) imagine how he will you off when he can easilly have 25 of them.
    Disagree -- legalizing and recognizing polygamy would have the opposite effect.

Here in the U.S.A., welfare support increases on children 1 through 3. Then it stops. Any child you have after #3 results in no increase in support. However, polygamous groups get around this because each woman is technically a single mother, only one of whom is legally married to the daddy. So each wife can bring in welfare money for each clutch of broodlings.

Here's an article on how it works right now.

The biggest welfare frauds aren't baby mamas in the hood, or (Don's pet nightmare) twenty-something slackers who want to play Xbox all day. They're polygamous cultists.

Making polygamy legal would actually kick the legs out from under scum like this.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Lemur, I m not so knowledgeable about the US system.

I assume that the benefits increase by each additional child in most countries. Thanks for the link
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

twenty-something slackers who want to play Xbox all day.
    I wish.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

The biggest welfare frauds aren't baby mamas in the hood, or (Don's pet nightmare) twenty-something slackers who want to play Xbox all day. They're polygamous cultists..
    You forgot dope-smoking...
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

So that would be "polyandry" (polys(many) Andres(man)) then?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Why wonder if you can tear everybody apart hard deep and unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I know you're joking, but I can't hep myself ...

Polyandry, 1780, from Late Gk. polyandria, from polys "many" (see poly-) + andr-, stem of aner "man, husband."

I always enoy a good Polygamy discussion, in part because I have such an unorthodox perspective of it.

Women may more easily pursue careers while still having children. Imagine a household of 2 women and one man. You may now have 2 adult incomes while one woman's "career" is the care of the children. That is a very comfortable living situation. A polygamous relationship where the women are bisexual is even more advantageous to the female. In fact, it would be even better for the entire relationship anyway. As long as sexual contact is restricted to those within the circle, so to speak, I see no reason why consenting adults should not be allowed to have an alternative lifestyle. The key is respect, love, communication, and cooperation just like any other relationship. If there is any jealousy involved that it can not work.

The real issue, however, is not cultural acceptance. The real issue is legal recognition of the bidning contract within an alternative family structure. There are real concerns of tax consequences when we start redefining marriage. What about a 3 man, 7 women marriage? What would be wrong with that? It starts to get silly. Marriage should be eliminated from government language. Marriage is a spiritual issue. Civil unions, or the question of property rights and asset distribution in the event of a dissolution, is what the government should only be concerned about.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Question Re: Polygamy

I've been a bit curious about this, mainly from the numbers Gay Marriage threads that have shown up here the past months.

A number of Orgahs have expressed the opinion that "the state should have nothing to do with marriage". I am more than a bit perplexed by this. Could a few folks who hold this view please expound on that, in detail? One of my main question is, how does one deal with inheritance and property laws? What about child custody? etc etc etc....

Edit - I believe this question to be in-line with the original topic at hand. If this gets too far off course I trust the OP and the mods will pull it back. Thanks.
    Last edited by Whacker; 02-23-2009 at 10:31.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast