Thread: Infinite arty ammo in RTI?

Default Infinite arty ammo in RTI?

Hi, just started the game, starting with the RTI tutorial, and found in a battle near Louisburg that my four 24lb. hwtz don't run out of ammo. I was the attacker and I've selected the no time limit to see how it works and so I've hammered the French, in my disbelief, for more than half hour (Real time) mercilessy, till I lost my nerve and advanced the line to the kill. One of my battery closed the battle with 248 casualties, the other 3 each with more than 180, and remember that the only ordnance allowed are solid shot.
    Is this a bug?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Infinite arty ammo in RTI?

No! It is not a bug.

Cannon Artillery has unlimited ammunition. Rockets do not.

That was good shooting by the way! Mine are often lucky to get 3 or 4 with round shot.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Oh.
    I can disagree? Sure the arty could replenish the storage sending back the caissons (btw could be a nice addition, think for a catastrophic boom when hit). But unilimited ammo unbalance the game, more that it was in RTW om MTW2. In the first two games they outranged the reaction trigger, so I can always slaughter, when attacking, between 80 to 150 for each long range units I deployed, but they run out of ammo so the final melee/charge was more or less mandatory.
    Now I can first counterbattery the AI, obliterate their arty and then punch the poor infantry till they rout. Also if the arty is not so right on target with unlimited ammo the only problem is to avoid that the Ai start a general advance. So play dead your infantry, don't move the horses and hope for the best. Boring

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

CA intentionally gave the Artillery unlimited ammo.

We can argue the point and argue the infantry’s lack of ammo, but that is not a bug.

I don’t know if the battle is a bit buggy or not…my copy of the game is lost some where in the mail.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

It's great that it has unlimited ammo, no need to bother chasing those enemy units miles away. Just blast them into a retreat. (Holds particularly true for bugged units who are having pathfinding issues).
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Interesting side note to this: the cannons apparently have unlimited ammo only as long as the limber and caisson still exist. I had a limber wiped out by a cannon shot last night that missed the crew, and the cannon stopped firing at that point. The unit still showed 3/3 guns, but only two were firing.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillan View Post
    Interesting side note to this: the cannons apparently have unlimited ammo only as long as the limber and caisson still exist. I had a limber wiped out by a cannon shot last night that missed the crew, and the cannon stopped firing at that point. The unit still showed 3/3 guns, but only two were firing.

Hmm, interesting. I don't really mind unlimited ammo for Artillery since Artillery rarely ran out of ammo during a battle.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Given their terrible accuracy at any kind of range, I dont find unlimited cannon ammo particularly unbalancing.
    I mean, at maximum range cannons have a hard time reliably hitting the walls of a fort, much less any kind of infantry formation.

And, of course, CA's still got the bounce on cannonballs too high. They almost invariably go over a formations head or only kill one guy.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

unlimited arty ammo + no time limit = AI loses every siege

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland View Post
    unlimited arty ammo + no time limit = AI loses every siege
    If you're willing to spend a couple hours in fast-forward mode >_>
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

So, turn on the time limit.

Anyway, assuming no outside intervention, the attack force pretty much always beat the defending force in a siege warfare.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Yes, in sieges at least unlimited artillery ammo makes perfect sense. What would be to stop the besiegers just bringing up more ammo when they ran out?

It's something that's always bugged me in previous games, losing sieges just because my guns ran out of ammo before breaching the last wall.