Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dept of Homeland Security most worried about... U.S. Veterans

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Dept of Homeland Security most worried about... U.S. Veterans

So I'm sort of surprised nobody brought this issue up in the past couple of weeks. If you have and I missed it, I apologize.

Homeland Security has FBI initiate surveilance on returning veterans to combat 'rising right-wing extremism".

John McCain demands apology by Homeland Security for implication that veterans to be suspected of joining right-wing paramilitary groups.

Janet Napolitano: Look, I'm sorry if you're thin-skinned and took offense, but I don't trust our veterans and I want them surveiled. They're a threat.

Okay, I'm all about not extrapolating minority or singular representatives into a disparagement of a group as a whole. I do not condemn all muslims as hate-fueled extremists. I do not believe all Mexicans are either 1) soldiers for drug-cartel armies or 2) violent nationalists intent on creating the state of Azatlan. I do not even believe Chinese nationals of a highly technical background here on H1B visas are all spies for the PRC. I reject these common generalizations, despite repeated anecodatal evidence of isolated or minority incidences of such.

So why is the Obama administration ready to put the spotlight on veterans because of the lone actions of Timothy McVeigh? While truly horrific, there has never been any evidence that the man acted in concert with anyone other than Terry Nichols. Yet they're all now under the watchful eye of Janet "Big Mama" Napolitano. What is it with Democratic administrations and their need for invasive cabinet members with no respect for the rights of their citizens and a need to humiliate and disparage members of the opposition party? For that matter, why does their lady with the big stick, the electric cattle prod and the scrying eyes into the lives of law abiding citizens always have to be named "Janet"? First Reno, now Napolitano.

What's more, why isn't Obama getting out in front of this one and distancing himself from her approach? Is he willing to write off veterans as "hopelessly unrepentant Republicans"? How long before Janet declares being a Republican enough to make you suspicious of engagement in domestic terrorism and involvement in right-wing extremist groups? Oh that's right, the Republican party IS a right-wing extremist group, given to acts of domestic terrorism. Right, I forgot that...
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 19:03.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Dept of Homeland Security most worried about... U.S. Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    So why is the Obama administration ready to put the spotlight on veterans because of the lone actions of Timothy McVeigh?
    A couple of thoughts:

These memos were authorized and mostly authored under the previous administration. You don't produce these reports quickly.

DHS also produced a report on the danger of left-wing extremists, but for some reason this is getting less airplay.

Timothy McVeigh authored the worst domestic terrorism attack in our history, and the second-most-lethal terror attack in the U.S.A. of all time. He operated in a decentralized network of like-minded authors and ideologues. I don't know that it's advisable to write that off.

The election of a melanin-rich President has demonstrably raised the "chatter" among far-right extremists and hate groups. I don't doubt that Stormfront is having a field day, what with both darkies and Jews corrupting the White house. Note that the ******** who killed three cops was motivated by these same people.

Anyway, I haven't read the report, so I should probably shut up now.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post

Timothy McVeigh authored the worst domestic terrorism attack in our history, and the second-most-lethal terror attack in the U.S.A. of all time. He operated in a decentralized network of like-minded authors and ideologues. I don't know that it's advisable to write that off.
    hmmm...this sounds similar to arguments I have heard about muslims after the LARGEST and DEADLIEST terror attack in the US. Feeling a bit hypocritical?
    Sure, he was a soldier, and he was rightwing. Look how many terrorists are leftwing, and how many are occupations other than soldiers. Should we track all leftwing people and all people of those other occupations?
    Considering that most domestic terrorism is commited by the left, I think it is complete hypocracy to cry for political profiling on the basis of one attack.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Where did I say that Oklahoma City was the only act of right-wing terrorism in modern history? And where did I defend either Muslim terrorists or leftwing terrorists? As I noted in my post, a report from DHS was also issued about leftwing extremists, but it somehow failed to ignite the outrage machine.

Anyway, if you want other examples of extremist rightwing violence, I'm happy to oblige:

Article on anti-abortion violence, including bombings, shootings, assault and anthrax threats.

1995 attempt to destroy an Amtrack train by rightwing extremists.

Daniel Cowart.

I could go on, but the abortion bombings/shootings alone should occupy a good hour of reading. I'm not going to even bother with the purely racial stuff, the church burnings and shootings and such.

To argue that the left has exclusive provenance over terrorism is misguided and factually disprovable, no matter how many times Michelle Malkin and Ann Coulter say it. Political extremists of all stripes stand ready to kill someone to bring their better world.

Again, I have not read the report, so it may contain some truly offensive stuff. I don't know. I'm just trying to inject some relevant facts into this discussion.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 19:47.

Where did I say that Oklahoma City was the only act of right-wing terrorism in modern history? And where did I defend either Muslim terrorists or leftwing terrorists? As I noted in my post, a report from DHS was also issued about leftwing extremists, but it somehow failed to start the outrage machine.

Anyway, if you want other examples of extremist rightwing violence, I'm happy to oblige:

Article on anti-abortion violence, including bombings, shootings, assault and anthrax threats.

1995 attempt to destroy an Amtrack train by rightwing extremists.

Daniel Cowart.

I could go on, but the abortion bombings/shootings alone should occupy a good hour of reading.

To argue that the left has exclusive provenance over terrorism is misguided and factually disprovable, no matter how many times Michelle Malkin and Ann Coulter say it. Political extremists of all stripes stand ready to kill someone to bring their better world.

Again, I have not read the report, so it may contain some truly offensive stuff. I don't know. I'm just trying to inject some relevant facts into this discussion.
    lol, I don't think you read my post. :P I never said you said that it was the only act, or that you were defending leftwing or muslim terrorists. I simply said that the notion of profiling rightwing people is ridiculous when the majority of domestic terrorist acts are committed by the left. I am not for political profiling at all, but I am simply pointing out he hypocracy of the idea of profiling conservatives or war vets, esp when the same people would say it is a crime against humanity to profile muslims or liberals. I believe that is why people find it offensive.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by peverblue View Post
    I simply said that the notion of profiling rightwing people is ridiculous when the majority of domestic terrorist acts are committed by the left. I am not for political profiling at all, but I am simply pointing out he hypocracy of the idea of profiling conservatives or war vets, esp when the same people would say it is a crime against humanity to profile muslims or liberals. I believe that is why people find it offensive.
    Does it matter even slightly to you that political profiling is an equal-opportunity employer? That the Earth Liberation Front probably receives as much attention as Stormfront, and rather less than Al Qaeda?

If you think profiling is a useless tool, that's fine, but I don't see where hypocrisy enters into it. I linked to the report about leftwing radicals, the one that nobody cares about or even noticed.

-edit-

And you did say that "most domestic terrorism is commited by the left," an assertion I would love to see backed up. And Don titled this thread "Dept of Homeland Security most worried about... U.S. Veterans," another assertion I would like to see sourced.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 19:51.

Does it matter even slightly to you that political profiling is an equal-opportunity employer? That the Earth Liberation Front probably receives as much attention as Stormfront, and rather less than Al Qaeda?

If you think profiling is a useless tool, that's fine, but I don't see where hypocrisy enters into it. I linked to the report about leftwing radicals, the one that nobody cares about or even noticed.

-edit-

And you did say that "most domestic terrorism is commited by the left," an assertion I would love to see backed up.
    I have nothing against tracking groups, but it is the idea of monitoring or profiling people based on a political view point that has in no way been proven to lead to violence that I have a problem with. Monitor Stormfront? Fine. Monitor ELF? Fine. Monitor Al Quaeda? Fine. Montior or be invasive of the privacy of conservatives because they are conservative? Big no. Same for liberal and muslim.

As to your edit, I have read it is several books (I mean reputable history books), though they were dated by several years. I am in Hungary now though, and my library is in the States :P, so I will have to find something for you online. I will do that tomorrow, as I gotta get to bed now.

Quote Originally Posted by peverblue View Post
    I have nothing against tracking groups, but it is the idea of monitoring or profiling people based on a political view point that has in no way been proven to lead to violence that I have a problem with.
    And does the report in fact recommend this?

A couple of thoughts:

These memos were authorized and mostly authored under the previous administration. You don't produce these reports quickly.
    I believe the issue and umbrage that's being taken is with the conclusion, that veterans need to be surveiled, not with the report itself. Only a fool would argue that we have no threat from right-wing extremism in this country (or, as you accurately highlight further in your post, left-wing extremism).

DHS also produced a report on the danger of left-wing extremists, but for some reason this is getting less airplay.
    Right. But somehow DNS managed to avoid making sweeping generalizations of urban university students or some other broad group which has been cited as fertile ground for the extremists. My objection is not the report highlighting right-wing extremism, it's the core assumption by Napolitano, and apparently Obama, that somehow our fighting men and women, after years of service in a hellhole like Iraq, should surrender their civil rights and be surveiled constantly, because they're pre-disposed to this sort of behavior.

Nobody is writing it off. But did Julius and Ethel Rosenburg's ACP loyalties (assuming they were even guilty in the first place) justify McCarthyism? Napolitano stands ready to brand our nation's veterans as terrorists, based solely on the activities of two despicable individuals who dishonored their uniforms.

The election of a melanin-rich President has demonstrably raised the "chatter" among far-right extremists and hate groups. I don't doubt that Stormfront is having a field day, what with both darkies and Jews corrupting the White house. Note that the ******** who killed three cops was motivated by these same people.
    Again, not arguing against the presence of right-wing nutjobs in this country, nor the wisdom of law enforcement burying its collective head in the sand.

Arguing that the men and women who have spent years toiling, sweating, bleeding and in some cases dying in the service of our country deserve a hell of a lot better treatment than "Welcome home, you don't mind if we go through all your personal communications and wiretap you, do you? We have to make certain you're not the next Timothy McVeigh, being a right-wing-kook, erh I mean veteran as you are".
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 20:01.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

My objection is not the report highlighting right-wing extremism, it's the core assumption by Napolitano, and apparently Obama, that somehow our fighting men and women, after years of service in a hellhole like Iraq, should surrender their civil rights and be surveiled constantly, because they're pre-disposed to this sort of behavior.
    Hmm, this would all be a lot easier if we could see the actual text of the report. I don't want to sound overly skeptical, but it's possible that the people making a big deal about this are the same folks who brought you Flag Pin, Fairness Doctrine, The Bow and The Handshake. I am not saying that this is on the same level of pettiness as those pseudo-scandals, but it's undeniable that there is a class of people who are actively searching for something to get outraged about.

From your third link in the OP:

"The report is not saying veterans are extremists, far from it," she told CNN's John King Sunday on State of The Union. "What it is saying is returning veterans are targets of right wing extremist groups that are trying to recruit those to commit violent acts within the country. We want to do all we can to prevent that." [...]

"But when you read the report, what it was saying is that, look, we have a threat of terrorism within our own shores and one of the groups being targeted to see if they will be aligned with that are some of our veterans," she said.

Napolitano also said the report's language is "is consistent with other reports that have been issued before."

That, on the face of it, seems reasonable. If we know that veterans are being targeted by hate groups, should we stand idly by or try to do something about it?

-edit-

My Google-fu is weak today. Is the report available to the public? Never mind, found it.

Here's the "Potential Indicators" from the leftwing report. Sounds like geeks should be outraged:

Potential Indicators

The following highlight a range of signposts that may expose leftwing extremists’ intent—either domestically or abroad—to develop more robust cyber attack strategies:
    • Increasing number of statements by leftwing extremists advocating the use of cyber attack techniques.
    • Increasing number of communiques published on leftwing extremist websites claiming credit for cyber attacks.
    • Suspicious cyber attack activity or increased frequency, creativity, or severity against traditional primary, secondary, and tertiary targets of leftwing extremists.
    • Evidence that leftwing extremist groups or activists are recruiting or attempting to acquire the services of individuals with cyber capabilities.

Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 20:18.

Hmm, this would all be a lot easier if we could see the actual text of the report. I don't want to sound overly skeptical, but it's possible that the people making a big deal about this are the same folks who brought you Flag Pin, Fairness Doctrine, The Bow and The Handshake. I am not saying that this is on the same level of pettiness as those pseudo-scandals, but it's undeniable that there is a class of people who are actively searching for something to get outrage about.

From your third link in the OP:

"The report is not saying veterans are extremists, far from it," she told CNN's John King Sunday on State of The Union. "What it is saying is returning veterans are targets of right wing extremist groups that are trying to recruit those to commit violent acts within the country. We want to do all we can to prevent that." [...]

"But when you read the report, what it was saying is that, look, we have a threat of terrorism within our own shores and one of the groups being targeted to see if they will be aligned with that are some of our veterans," she said.

Napolitano also said the report's language is "is consistent with other reports that have been issued before."

That, on the face of it, seems reasonable. If we know that veterans are being targeted by hate groups, should we stand idly by or try to do something about it?

-edit-

My Google-fu is weak today. Is the report available to the public?
    Uhm, you dismiss certain topics as though the Obama administration ever adequately addressed them, or somehow even if true, they're no big deal. Refusing to wear the American flag pin was Obama's right, his denial of that refusal however was untruthful. Just because the Fairness Doctrine, in its original form, doesn't find it's way word for word back into the rulebooks of the FCC doesn't mean that they won't follow the spirit of the law at license renewal time. Don't know what the Handshake was, but even Don Imus, no right-wing idealogue in anybody's book outside the DailyKos inner circle, said the president bowed to the Saudi King, probably in an attempt to be polite, but it was a huge protocol screw-up.

As for your rebuttal, are you really surprised? Did you expect JN to come out and say "That's right, I said our veterans are a hidden threat amongst us and need to be watched constantly". What you quote is her public interpretation (read spin) of the report's conclusions. It says nothing about how she truly feels when the cameras are off, let alone what the report she authored actually said.

And even by her words in that interview, do you agree that she should do "Whatever she can" to prevent the targeting (mind you, she didn't say successful recruitment, just targeting) of veterans by extremist groups? "Whatever she can" includes reading every one of their emails, line-by-line, to make certain they're not from a right-wing hate group. They've done nothing to warrant that surveilance, but it meets the letter of what she says above. Do YOU think that's fair, or a good idea?

If she had said "I'll do whatever I can to make certain right-wing extremist groups can't spread their messages of hate", or "I'll do whatever I can to see to it that those who espouse the use of violence to further their poltical goals are exposed", we wouldn't be having this conversation.

She swung a machete. She said she would do whatever she could to see to it that veterans are kept under the magnifying glass. Shame on her.

Here's the report. It's 10 pages. I don't think it would have taken more than a couple of days for DHS to write a 10 page report, but you may know about the authoring of government reports than I would.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 20:20.

Strike for the South

Actual report. Here is the passage that I assume is causing offense:

Disgruntled Military Veterans

DHS/I&A assesses that rightwing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat. These skills and knowledge have the potential to boost the capabilities of extremists—including lone wolves or small terrorist cells—to carry out violence. The willingness of a small percentage of military personnel to join extremist groups during the 1990s because they were disgruntled, disillusioned, or suffering from the psychological effects of war is being replicated today.
    • After Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1990-1991, some returning military veterans—including Timothy McVeigh—joined or associated with rightwing extremist groups.
    • A prominent civil rights organization reported in 2006 that “large numbers of potentially violent neo-Nazis, skinheads, and other white supremacists are now learning the art of warfare in the [U.S.] armed forces.”
    • The FBI noted in a 2008 report on the white supremacist movement that some returning military veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have joined extremist groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    It says nothing about how she truly feels when the cameras are off, let alone what the report she authored actually said.
    Well, there's the relevant part of the report. And I don't understand the first part of your sentence: if the words she actually spoke are meaningless, how are we to divine her intentions? Why link to that article at all? Confusing.

I don't see anything about the FBI targeting veterans as a whole in this document. There are qualifiers that are being ignored: "a small percentage of military personnel," "some returning military veterans," and so forth. Does "a small percentage" and "some" equal all?
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 20:29.

Okay, let's put it out there for everyone to assess... here's the offending paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by DHS officials afraid of our veterans
    U) Disgruntled Military Veterans
    (U//FOUO) DHS/I&A assesses that rightwing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat. These skills and knowledge have the potential to boost the capabilities of extremists—including lone wolves or small terrorist cells—to carry out violence. The willingness of a small percentage of military personnel to join extremist groups during the 1990s because they were disgruntled, disillusioned, or suffering from the psychological effects of war is being replicated today. —

(U) After Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1990-1991, some returning military veterans—including Timothy McVeigh—joined or associated with rightwing extremist groups. —

(U) A prominent civil rights organization reported in 2006 that “large numbers of potentially violent neo-Nazis, skinheads, and other white supremacists are now learning the art of warfare in the [U.S.] armed forces.” —

(U//LES) The FBI noted in a 2008 report on the white supremacist movement that some returning military veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have joined extremist groups.
    Note the lack of citation of the "prominent civil rights organization" or the report itself. How potentially large? On what basis did they come to this conclusion? What right-wing terrorist groups did they associate with? The NRA? The GOP? The Boy Scouts?

Frankly Lemur, this report reads like dozens of PIRG screeds I've read, published by career students who hate the establishment and those who participate in instutions they themselves cannot understand, like the military and its veterans. Unfortuantely, it's probably typical of what we can expect from DHS and the Justice Department for the next 4 years... a 10 page report that expresses the opinions of its leaders with little facts to justify them.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 20:29.

Strike for the South

Don, I don't mean to get in the way of your hot-burning outrage, but it's no more vague than the left-wing report, and these documents are not classified. So sources aren't listed and hard data is withheld. Are you suggesting that these reports are the sum total of all knowledge that the FBI has about extremist groups? What are you suggesting, beyond a general sense of incompetence and futility with the current administration?

-edit-

Oh, and I reformatted the same passage much more prettily than you. Don't you remember your third-grade teacher yelling "Neatness counts"?

What right-wing terrorist groups did they associate with? The NRA? The GOP? The Boy Scouts?
    Why are you assuming that an unclassified security report begun under the Bush Administration would target those groups? Why are you jumping to conclusions in this fashion? Let's stay grounded here, and pay attention to what is actually written. If you're going to go haring off on the Unspoken Agenda, I don't know how we're going to have an intelligent discussion.

-edit of the edit-

Missed a spot:

"Whatever she can" includes reading every one of their emails, line-by-line, to make certain they're not from a right-wing hate group. They've done nothing to warrant that surveilance, but it meets the letter of what she says above. Do YOU think that's fair, or a good idea?
    By your logic, "whatever she can" could also include shooting veterans, imposing martial law, destroying the Constitution, arresting half the population and imprisoning all veterans of any war after WWII in Guantanamo, Cuba. Do you think that's what she meant, or are you tearing off into a rhetorical tower? Again, why don't we stick to things people actually said or wrote. Much easier that way.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 20:40.

Don, I don't mean to get in the way of your hot-burning outrage, but it's no more vague than the left-wing report, and these documents are not classified. So sources aren't listed and hard data is withheld. Are you suggesting that these reports are the sum total of all knowledge that the FBI has about extremist groups? What are you suggesting, beyond a general sense of incompetence and futility with the current administration?

-edit-

Oh, and I reformatted the same passage much more prettily than you. Don't you remember your third-grade teacher yelling "Neatness counts"?

Why are you assuming that an unclassified security report begun under the Bush Administration would target those groups? Why are you jumping to conclusions in this fashion? Let's stay grounded here, and pay attention to what is actually written. If you're going to go haring off on the Unspoken Agenda, I don't know how we're going to have an intelligent discussion.
    Okay, speaking of unfounded assertions:

1) Where is your evidence that this report was begun under the Bush administration? You state that as an apriori fact, yet your sole suggestion on the matter thus far was that a report by DHS takes "a long time" to write, though we both agree the report we're citing is vague and fluffy, and reads more like a "why I don't trust the US military" blog post on DemocraticUnderground than an actual cabinet level report. How long is too long, by the way? You really don't think the DHS is capabable of authoring a puff piece like that in 3 months?

2) I was highlighting the vague and nefarious nature of the accusations the so-called report makes. "A promiment civil rights group issued a report at one point that large numbers of potentially violent neo-nazi and skinhead groups are now learning the art of warfare in the US armed forces". That's what qualifies as a credible accusation by the Obama administration these days? That's pathetic. If you want to return to grammar school, how about that basic rule of citing your sources? "Somebody at recess told me that Tommy is going to steal money out of your desk during bathroom break" is not grounds for DHS to surveil Tommy, his family and any of his known associates.

3) No outrage. I'm actually finding this quite amusing. I remember, what was it, two years ago, when you used to claim you tried to walk the middle. Right now, you're putting Robert Gibbs to shame as apologist in chief. I'm amazed at how even when Obama goes public with "I screwed up" you find ways to defend his actions as not only infallible, that anybody that would question them is somehow part of a cabal. Call Hillary... I think I found her "vast right-wing conspiracy" alive and well... tell her to make a diversion to Wisconsin, there's somebody there that can help her find it.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 20:51.

Strike for the South

Missed a spot:

By your logic, "whatever she can" could also include shooting veterans, imposing martial law, destroying the Constitution, arresting half the population and imprisoning all veterans of any war after WWII in Guantanamo, Cuba. Do you think that's what she meant, or are you tearing off into a rhetorical tower? Again, why don't we stick to things people actually said or wrote. Much easier that way.

I am focusing on what she wrote. I'm focusing on the fact that she attempts to establish a flimsy linkage between right-wing extremist groups and veterans, then uses that as justification "to do whatever she can" to make sure the veterans are put in their place. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to focus her "hammer-time" authoritarian rule on the right-wing extremists, not the veterans?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 21:06.

Strike for the South

By the way Lemur, I'll be sure to write an email letting Rahm Emmanuel know you're ready to be a ward precinct captain. You've managed to totally sidestep over half of my questions back to you thus far.

El matador Lemúr. Olé'!

Strike for the South

Where is your evidence that this report was begun under the Bush administration. Your sole suggestion on the matter thus far was that a report by DHS takes "a long time" to write, though we both agree the report we're citing is vague and fluffy, and reads more like a "why I don't trust the US military" blog post on DemocraticUnderground than an actual cabinet level report. How long is too long, by the way? You really don't think the DHS is capabable of authoring a puff piece like that in 3 months?
    Look at the "properties" tab of the PDF. Check the date of creation. Go ahead, check it right now, I'll wait for you.

See? "January 23rd, 2007, 12:32:54." I din't find this by myself, one of the first sites that broke the story had it:

The “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment” document was produced during the Bush administration, as a quick check of the PDF document’s properties reveals. It was created on January 23, 2007.

How long do I think such a report should take to write? One coffee-fueled evening should do the trick. But I know for a fact that such official reports are batted around forever amongst bureaucrats. The Intelligence Summaries, for instance, are known to take a minimum of six months to author before they are released to Congress. Why? I haven't the foggiest.

As for sources, you aren't responding to a point I made earlier: This is an unclassified report. I've had two relatives involved in the intelligence business [edit, three now that I think about it], both on a national level. I'll give you a couple of stories to illustrate how absurd it can get:

While being given a tour of Langley, one of my relations asked what a landmark was. The officer replied that it was classified. My relative then held up her tourist map, which had the landmark clearly identified and labeled.

Another relation told us a story about the CIA commissary. Naturally, taking any sort of picture inside Langley is strictly verboten. Cameras have to be checked, etc., I'm sure you can imagine how it goes. But in the commissary, what is on sale, next to the magazines and candybars? You guessed it. Disposable cameras. As my relative said, "Maybe they just put them there to see who would be dumb enough to buy one."

So an unclassified report does not reveal the name or document produced by "a prominent civil rights group"? And this, for you, is grounds for much gnashing of teeth and declarations of incompetence? Sounds like SOP to me.

I'll leave your various ad hominems alone; they deserve no better. If you want to find some new and creative ways of accusing me of being a leftist/marxist shill for the Obamessiah, talk to DevDave or Vuk. They've gotten much more prolix than you on the subject.

I'm focusing on the fact that she attempts to establish a flimsy linkage between right-wing extremist groups, then uses that as justification "to do whatever she can" to make sure the veterans are put in their place.
    McVeigh was a vet who joined in the far-right circle-jerk. And as the report alludes, there are other known cases. "Rare" does not equal "flimsy"; it means "infrequent." And where you're getting the idea that the Justice Department now intends to "put veterans in their place," I have no idea. Show me where surveillance, e-monitoring and phone-tapping of veterans is even referenced. That, my friend, is a conclusion you're building all on your own.

Which would be a more efficient use of law-enforcement time: Focusing on a hate group, and paying extra attention when they interact with vets, or attempting to monitor the more than 100,000 veterans of recent wars? Which do you suppose is more likely?

You've managed to totally sidestep over half of my questions back to you thus far.
    Not deliberately, I assure you. Feel free to call me out on any dodges, and I'll do my best to respond.

-edit-

P.S.: Here's a remarkably similar report from the same agency in the same format released in 2008. Strangely, there was no outrage.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 21:30.

Look at the "properties" tab of the PDF. Check the date of creation. Go ahead, check it right now, I'll wait for you.

See? "January 23rd, 2007." I ddin't find this by myself, one of the first sites the broke the story had it:

[indent]The “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment” document was produced during the Bush administration, as a quick check of the PDF document’s properties reveals. It was created on January 23, 2007.
    Thank you. In the face of a verifiable fact, the first I've seen put forward thus far, I will cede this particular point and will grant you that the report obviously must have been carried over from the previous DHS and the Bush administration.

As for sources, you aren't responding to a point I made earlier: This is an unclassified report. I've had two relatives involved in the intelligence business, both on a national level. I'll give you a couple of stories to illustrate how absurd it can get:

While being given a tour of Langley, one of my relations asked what a landmark was. The officer replied that it was classified. My relative then held up her tourist map, which had the landmark clearly identified and labeled.

Another relation told us a story about the CIA commissary. Naturally, taking any sort of picture inside Langley is strictly verboten. Cameras have to be checked, etc., I'm sure you can imagine how it goes. But in the commissary, what is on sale, next to the magazines and candybars? You guessed it. Disposable cameras. As my relative said, "Maybe they just put them there to see who would be dumb enough to buy one."

So an unclassified report does not reveal the name or document produced by "a prominent civil rights group"? And this, for you, is grounds for much gnashing of teeth and declarations of incompetence? Sounds like SOP to me.
    I see. So because you can come up with some anecdotal evidence about the way the CIA operates, we should take the DHS report as the final word on how our returning veterans ought to be treated? Your family stories end any discussion on questioning the veracity of the report?

I'll leave your various ad hominems alone; they deserve no better. If you want to find some new and creative ways of accusing me of being a leftist/marxist shill for the Obamessiah, talk to DevDave or Vuk. They've gotten much more prolix than you on the subject.
    Oh lighten up, my friend. Outrage doesn't suit you. You can't tell me you didn't expect a little ribbing for the shift in your current string of stances, in light of your previous "I'm a down the middle " repeated assertions. I love you man, but while I can admit that Obama is in my RADAR in a very unobjective way, can't you see that you have a blind spot for him in a similarly unobjective way? Can you point to any missteps THE ONE may have had?

McVeigh was a vet who joined in the far-right circle-jerk. And as the report alludes, there are other known cases. "Rare" does not equal "flimsy"; it means "infrequent."
    And here we go again. The crux of my post in the first place, and the sum total of the case of the DHS against our veterans. Major Premise: Timothy McVeigh blew up the Oklahoma City Federal Building as an act of right-wing extremism. Minor Premise: Timothy McVeigh was a veteran. Conclusion: Veterans are ready to engage in acts of right-wing extremism and therefore must be under surveilance. *sniff* *sniff* What's that I smell? Ah yes, it's that old stinker, Mr. Syllogism.

And where you're getting the idea that the Justice Department now intends to "put veterans in their place," I have no idea. Show me where surveillance, e-monitoring and phone-tapping of veterans is even referenced. That, my friend, is a conclusion you're building all on your own.
    Got you here, mi amigo. First sentence of my first link:
    WASHINGTON -- The Federal Bureau of Investigation earlier this year launched a nationwide operation targeting white supremacists and "militia/sovereign-citizen extremist groups," including a focus on veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan, according to memos sent from bureau headquarters to field offices.
    Sure doesn't sound like they're giving our veterans due process, let alone benefit of the doubt. But by all means, explain to me how the FBI launching a nationwide operation including a focus on veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan doesn't really qualify as surveillance. Granted, I provided the details of e-mail monitoring (Janet Reno's CARNIVORE program comes to mind) and phone taps (Bush's one true legacy) on my own. Of course, how silly of me. When the FBI says they're monitoring and surveilling veterans, they really mean they're checking out their Facebook page.

Which would be a more efficient use of law-enforcement time: Focusing on a hate group, and paying extra attention when they interact with vets, or attempting to monitor the more that 100,000 veterans of recent wars? Which do you suppose is more likely?
    I couldn't agree more. So would you kindly explain to me why the FBI is focusing not on the hate group, but on the veterans as a whole?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-21-2009 at 21:30.

Strike for the South

The tennis game's been fun my friend, but I'm afraid I gotta put my racket down. I didn't really expect to sway you, but I did want anybody out there reading to know I don't just make this stuff up. The FBI really is working with the Defense Department in Operation Vigalent Eagle to surveil our veterans to determine if they might join right-wing exteremist groups, not the other way around. Cheers. Hit 'em well.

Strike for the South

I see. So because you can come up with some anecdotal evidence about the way the CIA operates, we should take the DHS report as the final word on how our returning veterans ought to be treated?
    Don't be deliberately dense, Don. The point of my family stories was that the classified/unclassified barrier can be a little wonky. The government has a known, provable habit of overclassifying many facts that are in the public domain. If you don't see how this relates to the pointless omission of the name of the civil rights group, well ....

Can you point to any missteps THE ONE may have had?
    Many. Is this thread about me or about this report, though? Frankly, your sudden descent into ad hominems took me by surprise. If it would make you feel better to classify me as a blind and rabid acolyte of the Obamessiah, by all means, go ahead. Doesn't change the substance of what we're discussing one bit.

Got you here, mi amigo. First sentence of my first link:

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Bureau of Investigation earlier this year launched a nationwide operation targeting white supremacists and "militia/sovereign-citizen extremist groups," including a focus on veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan, according to memos sent from bureau headquarters to field offices.
    So wait a minute, your killer clincher, the proof positive that the FBI will be monitoring hundreds of thousands of veterans and combing through their phone calls is this? Not a statement by any source, named or unnamed, not the primary document, not the FBI director, but rather a sloppily written lede sentence in a Wall Street Journal article? This is your coup? Do I need to point out that you could read that sentence a few different ways? Do I need to expound on the difference between primary and secondary sources? The fact that you're basing your entire outrage-o-thon on a reporter's lede rather than anything official? The fact that your reading of this sentence is backed up nowhere else in the same article? To quote the Lord Humungus: Just walk away, and I spare your lives.

From the same article:

"We're not doing an investigation into the military, we're not looking at former military members," he said. "It would have to be something they were concerned about, or someone they're concerned is involved" with extremist groups.

I couldn't agree more. So would you kindly explain to me why the FBI is focusing not on the hate group, but on the veterans as a whole?
    Show me where the FBI has said that it's focusing on veterans as a whole. Your source for that is a sloppily-written lede in a newspaper.

Also, feel free to explain how this memo is any more offensive than the 2008 one I linked to. How would you be reacting if that were released by Obama rather than Bush?
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 22:00.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

See? "January 23rd, 2007, 12:32:54."
    That's hardly conclusive.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

DHS should be worried about vets. Apart from the "former" gangbangers than now have advanced tactical weapons training and experience (thank you, lowered recruitment standards), the veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are going to get royally screwed over in the next decade. Shoddy medical treatment, reduced benefits, you name it. The US government does not really have a stellar track record on veteran affairs, and the huge debt load we have now will mean cuts. The word "disgruntled" will get lots of airtime due to the social timebomb the Iraqi venture has armed.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Hi Don!.

You and Lemur are having a good tussle, no?

I'm not too impressed with the report. It's identifying a laundry list of potential sources for domestic terrorism. I don't think it singles out veterans as much as some of the media has suggested.

That being said, Napolitano's handling of this issue was bush-league. She managed to heighten the insult without changing the content. Not a smooth play. I'm not impressed with her caliber of leadership so far.

I'm sure the left-winger report will be similarly anemic.

Perhaps she'll "numbskull" that press conference as well and then she'll create a sense of national unity by having BOTH sides of the spectrum calling for her resignation.

Oh, by the way, later testimony and NKVD sourcing confirmed that Julis Rosenberg did participate in efforts to get classified US info to the USSR. The death penalty may have been excessive given the poor quality of the info he managed to get out, but he was a soviet spy.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 04-21-2009 at 21:59.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

More grist to ponder. I heard part of an interview with this Hagman on talk radio today. I just logged onto the site and thought I'd share. FBI spied on TEA Party Americans . I have never heard of this guy or this site till today. An interesting article that is hopefully false.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

This department keeps paying back it's investment in spades.
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 04-21-2009 at 23:50. Reason: deleted superfluous word

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Is it not true though? Some military veterans do join extreme right winged, sometimes even neo-nazi, groups. I have not read about the Communist Party being filled with Vietnam veterans.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

White people are mostly likely to join white supremecist groups. Let's increase the scrutiny on white people.

White people are mostly likely to join white supremecist groups. Let's increase the scrutiny on white people.
    Then the best way the white supremecists can avoid the unwelcome government scrutiny is by simply recruiting mainly black people .

But anyway , as for the report(not what the report is being portrayed as mind you) if you were to take an ordinary average good old folksy Amercan domestic terrorist group like the army of god . What proportion of their nuttiest nuts have had a military background ?

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Of course white people would join a white supremacy group. This has no relevancy to the topic, unless you are saying that it's obvious when a military veteran joins an extreme right winged group.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast