Thread: Multiplayer maps (what do we like?)

Default Multiplayer maps (what do we like?)

Ill start of by saying that napoleon totalwar is a good game, i find multiplayer somewhat ruined tho by the poor choice of maps available.

Do's for mp maps
    Rolling hills
    Lots of woods especially on the hill slopes (Ala Galcian Ria)
    Larger Maps (why is galcian ria bigger in 2v2 than 3v3? width wise)
    Flatish maps with woods are the way to go.
    More maps why not have every map in the campaign available? some of the maps ive seen are great and would boost multiplayer 500% and theyre already in the game just not accessable
    Map editor we had it in the past it made the game so much more interesting we had over 400 maps in shogun and some of the most played maps were user made maps.
    Remake the classic shogun maps for multiplayer exactly as they were with some new graphics and larger evn if you make for example a new totomi map just put in the old and call it Tutomi (Classic) the multiplayer community would really appreciate it.

If you do include a map editor maybe have competitions where users compete and the best maps made are selected to be included in a future patch or as free DLC.

If you dont include a map editor please make every map from single player available in Multiplayer and include regular new CA made multiplayer map packs as DLC (multiplayers would gladly pay a few quid for say 10 well made multiplayer maps) NTW even could use this as the map selection there is poor and we hve 6 months to go till shogun 2 Just make it if the host has the maps all can join and play or something.)

If you do include a map editor maybe include a feature in the game where players can download the map from the host when joining a game, lots of games have this nowadays if you cant include it shove them on steam or something.

Donts for mp maps
    Buildings - 99% of players online hate them, they cause movement bugs and positioning bugs, make the units able to pass through them easy or just have them in single player maps.
    Impassable Terrain - Leave this to command and conquer, it has no place in multiplayer. totalwar is just not playing out well with maps like mazes. Its a war we want open battlefields with woods.
    10 Years on and we still have to see the red zone, is there a problem with the game running on maps that are larger than the current size?
    Im begging you please dont put buildings with bonuses on multiplayer maps, especially if the map number will be limited like in ntw as it could ruin a good map.
    Please dont leave us with a limited selection of maps in shogun.

Please even if you agree with the above points still put them in your lists and ofc let me know if my donts are not agreed with. Lets see what everyone likes and dislikes and see if we can find common ground.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-30-2010 at 16:13.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Multiplayer maps (what do we like?)

I believe if you are great player, you can handle any map, with no complaints. However, I do argee to a point. While I love hilly maps and crap, they should not be to unrealstic.

Good list Swoosh.

The only discussion point I would have is with the impassable terrain - and that is contingent upon pathing being able to handle it. Impassable terrain has a channeling effect which can add an interesting dynamic to the battle. However, it is flawed in STW where the units form Konga lines on the perimeter of the terrain in order to get around it. Buildings are more of the problem, but then they have a channeling effect too. However, I do agree that too many such features making the map a maze is not desirable. Actually, that is one of my red flags with S2TW castle battles as they have been described so far - almost maze-liike.
    This space intentionally left blank

The biggest issue with most of the NTW maps is that they are just too cluttered with impassable terrain features. Most MP players enjoy playing on maps with space to maneuver and flank.
    Essentially the thing missing from NTW is big open battlefields with some decisive terrain features. There are too many maps with bottlenecks, that generally make for poor and unenjoyable battles.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Warmann im not saying i cant handle such maps im saying they suck, ive played on every type of map you can imagine from insane maps with 100 pools of water in them to the grassy flat, wolves even won a clan campaign game vs elite who were sitting on one of the biggest hills in shogun on the map BUNGO 3v3s hugged right up against the red zone, but in general these maps do not make for good compedative matches, a rare side distraction at best. I actually dont mind hilly maps infact i welcome them but some of the maps in ntw are beyond belief with about 8-20 impassable terrain features on them which makes it feel like your playing command and conquer they really are the worst maps ive ever seen in totalwar and i really hope thats not a trend thats starting.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-30-2010 at 20:10.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    ...but some of the maps in ntw are beyond belief with about 8-20 impassable terrain features on them...
    Okay, that is way too many.

Prepare for the horror the grey and blue areas on the mini map are impassable water ridges and rocks. also consider the width of my army with the amount of impassable terrain there and remember this terrain causes unit control bugs forcing you to redraw units again and again and the pathfinding will often take you off in weird directions. then on top of that you have the buildings which again cause pathfinding problems. These are multiplayer maps and only 3 of the bad ones i could be bothered to pic. Over half of the maps are this bad or worse and we have 25 total others simply have around 8 or so impassable terrain features with around 5 maps having none but 2 of those 5 maps are building heavy, and of the 3 left over 1 is grassy flatland. i havent even mentioned the river maps which are just so bad i cant explain, think of a chessboard of crisscrossing rivers and bridges.

https://img46.imageshack.us/i/58682412.jpg/

https://img411.imageshack.us/i/80242900.jpg/

https://img839.imageshack.us/i/63161301.jpg/

Command and conquer anyone?
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-30-2010 at 22:26.

Buddha

In NTW, do those maps encourage camping? Why march into obstacle course and get your pretty lines all messed up? How does the ranged nature of the combat affect it on these kinds of maps?

Consider that most of the impassable features on these shown maps cannot be fired through creating insane choke points for a camper. theyre big rocks and boulders for the most part.in ntw you have a massive advantage if you get the first shots off, if you have to move through a choke point your dead no ifs no buts. you cannot deploy in a choke point and be sure that any decent player will have a nice little killing zone setup for any unit that tries to move through one. from what ive seen these battles decend into howitser artillery fights and whoever loses the artillery battle will have to make the move to attack. since howitsers can fire up and over. but let me be clear a howitser battle with say 2 howitsers per side can take upwards of 1 hour and thats just to destry the opposing artillery. Of course some factions do not have howitsers..

The worst of it is while playing the mp campaign ive came across many many maps that would be great for multiplayer, theyre in the game just cant use them :\
    I remember one map me and ducky saw in the mp campaign that was gorgeous for multiplayer, id kill to have it in the online battle list.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-30-2010 at 22:48.

Buddha

The game should provide an home and away battle mode so every map has a value competitionwise....
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Senior Member Senior Member Kas's Avatar

100+ maps...200+ maps...a lot!

The community will pick the (few?) really good ones.

Just give us loads ty
    On Steam: Kas

JoJoSan, can you forgive me?

Nothing wrong with a few maps where you can give yourself a challenge, I used to enjoy hosting these. They are more for fun games than competitive games obviously, but I hated the Ironing Board, Steppes Inland type maps though, they were just sheer boredom. I think that's why Totomi is remembered so fondly, because of the subtle advantages that could be gained.
    I loved to see realistic situations so I think there should always be the possibility to set up an ambush in trees etc and the ability for tactical manoeuvre.
    Pet hate..........damned redzone.