Thread: Is this a joke? Texas Gov call in National Guard against their elite troops?

Default Is this a joke? Texas Gov call in National Guard against their elite troops?

We have a saying in Sweden:

"You have to hear a lot before your ears fall off".

Well, I guess my ears just fell off.

So, if I got this right, long story short:

Special forces are setting up training maneuvers in Texas. These include the Green Berrets, SEALs, some more... You know, your everyday USAnian hero...

Regardless, the reserve of gifted people in Texas decided that this was OBVIOUSLY a what? Satanic scheme by the BLACK muslim terrorist president?

The elite of the US troop personnel would go down to Texas, in these inbred peoples eyes, and take over the Lone star State...

C'MON!!!! You, me, and any clear thinking individual would laugh this off. Right?

Reality: Spec Ops are having a manouvre.
    Redneck Texan Drunken Worries: OBAMA INVADE TEXAS!!!

So why do I bother to even write about this?

I mean, c'mon, we all know USAnians are not always "first on the ball" so to say, but even in such a backwater place as Texas they can't in their wildest fantasies..... Oh, they did.

Yepp, the Gov. there ordered the NATIONAL GUARD to supervise the manoeuvre. The Texas Gov. Actually sent out the NATIONAL GUARD to make sure the Green Berrets or SEALs weren't trying to take over the state or anything...

I mean geez...

Sure, some backwater Redneck can go "OMGZ OBAMINATION INVADE TEXAS"...

What troubles me is when the Governor actually play along with these nutheads. And that is what scares me about the US at large, and Texas in specific...

Loud idiots are EVERYWHERE.... But in Texas they seem to be in the majority...

One more time:

Loud Rednecks screaming about conspiracy theories - Not A Problem.
    A Governor listening and adhering to conspiracy theories - A Big Problem.

USA!! USA!! USA!!

http://www.armytimes.com/story/milit...helm/26603719/
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 06-12-2015 at 23:53. Reason: link

Default Re: Is this a joke? Texas Gov call in National Guard against their elite troops?

Before anyone tries to make a icecube out of an iceberg...

Sorry, the Gov. sent out the Texas State Guard... Not the National Guard... My base point totally remains, though.

Default Re: Is this a joke? Texas Gov call in National Guard against their elite troops?

Looks to me like the article you cite is confusing what the governor did with a paranoid interpretation of the situation adhered to by a few nuts. The Governor's office says that the state guard are acting as liaisons, not protecting against a potential invasion. Apparently this is standard procedure. So the question is do you believe the governor's office or the conspiracy nuts? I don't trust politicians much, but this time I'll buy it.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    Looks to me like the article you cite is confusing what the governor did with a paranoid interpretation of the situation adhered to by a few nuts. The Governor's office says that the state guard are acting as liaisons, not protecting against a potential invasion. Apparently this is standard procedure. So the question is do you believe the governor's office or the conspiracy nuts? I don't trust politicians much, but this time I'll buy it.
    I dunno?

As a Swede, or European at large even, heck, let's just say "western" I am quite flabbergasted that military is ordered out to supervise elite military on a drill...

I try to translate this to Swedish terms... It would be like our Arctic Rangers, or Special Operations Group would be on an exercise in, say, Skåne... And then the Skåne gov. had the Hemvärnet monitor them...

Nah, sorry mate... It just does not calculate.

Something must be SEVERELY rotten in a nation, before we start to talk about distrusting your military elite.

Sure, in former Iraq (now ISIS territory, thanks USA!!), I could totally get how you wouldnt trust the upper echelons of the military... But geez, c'mon, this is a WESTERN COUNTRY we talk about. One who chose to portray himself in shiny armour or white cowboy hats...

With a rep like that, it DOES come off as a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit weird that the USA seem to flinch at its own shadows, no?

The point I'm making is that you only have the article's author's word for it that the state guard was doing anything other than act as liaisons. We have to believe everything we read just because the author says its true? You can if you want. I don't. If you want to believe that we Americans are terrified of our own military, that's up to you of course. I happen to be an American and I've met some Texans. None of them showed any sign of paranoid fear of the government.

To me, this article just doesn't ring true. If you want to translate into Swedish terms, why don't you try some Swedish reporter tries to make a big story where there isn't one?
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

In Swedish terms it'sike your army MPs working as liasons between residents and NATO special forces say Polish Commandos.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

The Governor's office says that the state guard are acting as liaisons, not protecting against a potential invasion.
    Hm, are you sure?

Gov. Greg Abbott has directed Maj. Gen. Gerald Betty, commander of the Texas State Guard, to monitor the operation. Betty will provide regular updates to the governor’s office to ensure Texans’ “safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed” during the training.
    Governor personally confirmed that in a tweet.

I don't for a minute believe that he sincerely feels there's a threat, but this level of pandering to nutjobs is dangerous.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I don't for a minute believe that he sincerely feels there's a threat, but this level of pandering to nutjobs is dangerous.
    So are all the insinuations that Americans are retarded in the OP.
    You shouldn't underestimate your enemy.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    So are all the insinuations that Americans are retarded in the OP.
    You shouldn't underestimate your enemy.
    To be fair, I think kadagar only insinuated that because he still thinks Rick Perry is still the Texas governor.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-13-2015 at 11:44.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    To be fair, I think kadagar only insinuated that because he still thinks Rick Perry is still the Texas governor.
    Yeah, thankfully he can only run as a presidential candidate again now. He seems more intellectual this time around though, probably because of the nicer suits, the more secure smile and the eh....what was the third....the eh.....oops.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

The US has a significant problem with echo chambering and that the Republicans currently have no real agenda, outside infighting with their own extremists. That means that pandering to people lost in the echo chamber starts to make sense if you want to keep votes.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Hm, are you sure?

Governor personally confirmed that in a tweet.

Sorry about that Kadagar. I thought I'd read your article carefully enough, but I missed an important part.

Sheesh, being an American can be so embarrassing these days.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I'm on mobile but I would just like to point out that the governor didn't call out the National Guard. He called out the State Guard who are much different and aren't even armed. Go ahead, look them up, and have a laugh. Its funny.

Anyways the whole thing is just on the pants retarded. I do not feel badly one bit about laughing openly at these people.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It just goes to show that even Texans don't trust America anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I'm on mobile but I would just like to point out that the governor didn't call out the National Guard. He called out the State Guard who are much different and aren't even armed. Go ahead, look them up, and have a laugh. Its funny.

Anyways the whole thing is just on the pants retarded. I do not feel badly one bit about laughing openly at these people.
    Dude, that was my second post...

And that is what scares me.

When you start to distrust your own troops, it is the very model of an ill functioning society, no?

I do admit that I was overly harsh in my OP, but with that said, I still would want to flag that I as an European get actually troubled when the "white hats" can't even trust themselves...

What is the signal to the world?

"We send troops to your countries, but they are well trained professionals... Oh, and at home we keep them under close surveillance so they don't act up... So good luck with that"

I mean... Really? I can't be the only one wondering.

And yes, to be clear, I do not in any way/shape/form mean this is derogatory to the US armed branch...

I mean this is a clear signal that the United States of America has an illness in and of itself, that I would prefer would NOT be spread to the rest of the world.

Well, aren't there tens of thousands of American troops stationed in Germany? If you don't trust America, then I imagine you're not completely happy with that.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    When you start to distrust your own troops, it is the very model of an ill functioning society, no?
    It's because of that Muslim communist president. He can't be trusted, so Texans are naturally looking to defend themselves.

Although someone should point out to them they should've thought of that some 170 years ago. Now is too late.

Although someone should point out to them they should've thought of that some 170 years ago. Now is too late.
    Well, they tried, didn't they? What more do you want?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Well, aren't there tens of thousands of American troops stationed in Germany? If you don't trust America, then I imagine you're not completely happy with that.
    I didn't say anything about myself, but I'm not an American citizen either way. It can be expected that I do not to trust a foreign government, but for someone from Texas not to trust his own government, that is special and far more important.

It can be expected that I do not to trust a foreign government, but for someone from Texas not to trust his own government, that is special and far more important.
    I remember you complaining of some Bayerische farmers having the same attitude to Bundesregierung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I remember you complaining of some Bayerische farmers having the same attitude to Bundesregierung.
    It's complicated and things also change sometimes.

It can be expected that I do not to trust a foreign government, but for someone from Texas not to trust his own government, that is special and far more important.
    Do you mean this "someone"?
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...l#.VY1Z6oF_vgu
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...