Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief 4!

Default Thief 4!

There is strong speculation on the TTLG forums that it will soon be announced. Edios has used a font almost exactly like the Thief font when talking about the upcoming project, and before announced that a project was in the works side-by-side with DX3, and that its name began with a T. I know, that is grasping for straws, but for a die-hard fan, it is just enough to give hope (or scare the heck out of them "Oh please! Not another Thief 3!" :P).
    Hopefully in a few weeks I can turn this into an announcement thread :P, but for now I am interested, who thinks this new project is Thief 4? I admit that it is not a lot to base a belief on, but I think they are just teasing us. :P I got my fingers crossed that it is Thief 4.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Thief 4!

Hey I post there as well, the home of gaming elitism

Not too excited, in great ttlg fashion I was disgusted by the steaming pile of crap that was Thief 3, as I was disgusted by the steaming pile of crap that was Thief 2 but that one kinda grew on me, took me 2 years before I realised it wasn't that bad, Thief: The Dark Project, forever your loyal slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Hey I post there as well, the home of gaming elitism

Not too excited, in great ttlg fashion I was disgusted by the steaming pile of crap that was Thief 3, as I was disgusted by the steaming pile of crap that was Thief 2 but that one kinda grew on me, took me 2 years before I realised it wasn't that bad, Thief: The Dark Project, forever your loyal slave.
    Thief is the first 3rd game I ever played.
    I agree with you that Thief 3 was total crap. The Metal Age though was excellent. I liked it even more than the Dark Project. I spent countless hours slaving away to Dromed trying to recreate its greatness...good old days. :P I still have a tiny drop of hope though that Thief 4 will be in the fashion of 1 and 2 and not total crap like 3. Looking at what they are doing to DX3 though, I admit that it is a fool's hope. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I really hope you're right and there will be a Thief 4!

Why does everybody hate Thief 3 so much? It was technically superior, had a dense story, beautiful voice acting and it was possible to ghost through almost all missions. So, enlighten me, what was wrong with Thief 3 in your opinion?

Or should we open a new thread for this?

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    I really hope you're right and there will be a Thief 4!

Why does everybody hate Thief 3 so much? It was technically superior, had a dense story, beautiful voice acting and it was possible to ghost through almost all missions. So, enlighten me, what was wrong with Thief 3 in your opinion?

Or should we open a new thread for this?
    Sorry I of the Storm, but if we were to have a thread to talk about this, it would have to be in the Backroom and Tosa would need to get rid of all the profanity rules. I don't think I could discuss what makes me dislike/hate/despise/loathe Thief 3 without breaking every rule on the Org.
    Last edited by Vuk; 04-22-2009 at 10:15.

You could at least try! Really, I'm interested. T3 was a fine game IMO, I don't see what's wrong with it...?

*tease*incite*lure*

Why does everybody hate Thief 3 so much? It was technically superior, had a dense story, beautiful voice acting and it was possible to ghost through almost all missions.
    NO

Boring level design, chopped up levels, terrible AI, complete lack of difficulty, no mystery no soul, terrible physics, I mean shooting a bow and blackjacking someone used to have a feel to it there is so much wrong with Thief 3 that it should never have been released, the few moments which didn't suck made that all the more painfully apparent. Thief 3 is a game based on Thief not a Thief game.

oh, AND GODDAMN CLIMBING CLOVES, why did they do away with the rope arrow? Why can't I shim? Why is there glue on my shoes? Was it for this the clay grew tall?
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-22-2009 at 10:37.

I've been seeing this speculation for more than a week. Show me the game exists and give me details, and then I might experience a flicker of excitement. Otherwise I'll pass.

I see people hoping that it will be set in modern times. So-called Thief fans wanting the next game to be set in modern day America. What kind of crazy talk is that?! You would lose everything which makes Thief Thief!

Why does everybody hate Thief 3 so much?
    Tiny levels. Lots of loading. I curse the xbox and the decision to port the game to it. The console might have been comparatively powerful but it did not have enough RAM to cope with sprawling PC style levels. Personally, I also disliked the City. Having to sneak through the same small, limited streets between missions, needing to scurry around to work out where your next mission was supposed to be ... eh, no. It was an idea which couldn't work with the technology they used.

I don't hate it as much as the others here. I never played far enough to hate it; I drifted away after a few missions. Yes, that means I never played the infamous Cradle level.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

You could at least try! Really, I'm interested. T3 was a fine game IMO, I don't see what's wrong with it...?

*tease*incite*lure*
    Fine, you asked for it.

1. The Thief atmosphere was not there. It just didn't feel like Thief. The atmosphere is hard to capture, but it makes the game. The Dark Mod captures it pretty well, and it is made for the Doom 3 engine. Some fanmissions do, and others don't. It is not impossible to capture, but it IS vital to any game you want to call Thief.
    2. The gameplay was basic, boring, and unrealistic. There were certainly improvements, but it lost all its charm and was just stupid.
    3. The engine used was originally designed as a graphics engine, and later someone had the brilliant idea to make it into a game engine. They only learned out too late its limitations. It really shows in the game. There are so many Thiefy elements missing and non Thiefy elements there as a result of this and stupid design. No swimmable water, bad performance for a game of its graphics level, clunky- gameplay, super dagger, annoying blue glow that kills the atmosphere on EVERYTHING, horrible AI, terrible animations, no depth to levels, etc.
    4. The storyline had potential, but the way the game was made it was as boring as heck, the voice acting (with the exception of Garrett) was not aweful, but a quite a bit below the previous games.

In short, it was the worst game I have ever played. I would not say that if it had not been released as a Thief game, but it was. It was not only a horrible game, but a crime against the series, and an insult to the intelligence (whatever little we have :P) of the fans of the first two.
    If you are not gonna capture the Thief feel, then don't market it as a Thief game.

There, I told you and don't think I broke any rules. :P

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    I've been seeing this speculation for more than a week. Show me the game exists and give me details, and then I might experience a flicker of excitement. Otherwise I'll pass.
    It has been going on for a while now. :P I don't got my hopes up high, in fact, I am more afraid because I think that it may be Thief 4. I dread the idea of what they may do with the series, but for a reason I cannot explain, I am still hoping for it. :P It is kind of like having an ex you love who has only ever hurt you, and hoping they wanna come back, even though you know it will only mean trouble. :P

EDIT:
    I see people hoping that it will be set in modern times. So-called Thief fans wanting the next game to be set in modern day America. What kind of crazy talk is that?! You would lose everything which makes Thief Thief!
    I cannot tell you enough how disappointed I would be if Thief was set in the modern world for that very reason, because it would lose all its Thiefiness. That said though, I doubt that it could possibly disappoint me anymore than Thief 3 has done.
    Last edited by Vuk; 04-22-2009 at 11:09.

Yes, that means I never played the infamous Cradle level.
    That's a shame, if you have pc-version download some save-games. The Cradle is the only thing that prevented me from enetering the Eidos headquarter wearing a bomb-suit.

That's a shame, if you have pc-version download some save-games. The Cradle is the only thing that prevented me from enetering the Eidos headquarter wearing a bomb-suit.
    Be careful what you say on the internet nowadays, or people may take your seriously. :P I played that trash game years ago and have forgotten much about it. Please refresh my memory, which one was the 'cradle' level?
    Last edited by Vuk; 04-22-2009 at 11:12.

I thought the other major thing I found off-putting with Thief 3. The rubber people. An early form of the ragdoll technology, it left all unconcious and dead people flopping and spasming about like they were made of bouncy rubber. It made it impossible to take anything seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by peverblue View Post
    It has been going on for a while now. :P I don't got my hopes up high, in fact, I am more afraid because I think that it may be Thief 4. I dread the idea of what they may do with the series, but for a reason I cannot explain, I am still hoping for it. :P It is kind of like having an ex you love who has only ever hurt you, and hoping they wanna come back, even though you know it will only mean trouble. :P
    I meant the website speculation. Thief 4 speculation is as old as Thief 3

I would love a new Thief game. A proper Thief game. Technology has advanced to the point where they could do such incredible things, and the current gen of consoles are beefy enough that the inevitable multiplatform release wouldn't hold the game back.

And I want frog beast eggs back.

The prospect of Ubisoft making a new Thief is equal parts hope and fear. The hope is that it will be a revival which will be as fitting as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was. The fear is that it will be Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Ubisoft make a lot of games I like, and do try to push for something a bit more creative than the average game. They also tend to miss one of two things or make one dumb decision and end up with a good game instead of the masterpiece it could have been.

I cannot tell you enough how disappointed I would be if Thief was set in the modern world for that very reason, because it would lose all its Thiefiness. That said though, I doubt that it could possibly disappoint me anymore than Thief 3 has done.
    At least Thief 3 tried. Modern Thief would not even be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    I have the PC version. Somewhere. How far in is the Cradle anyway? If it's not that far I wouldn't mind playing up to it myself. Rusty skills; it's been years since I last entered the shadows.

The cradle level is famous. As an outstanding Thief mission and as one of the scariest experiences in a game. I have long felt it a shame I didn't play it.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Second last mission. It's as easy as can be no need to hone your skills.

I thought the other major thing I found off-putting with Thief 3. The rubber people. An early form of the ragdoll technology, it left all unconcious and dead people flopping and spasming about like they were made of bouncy rubber. It made it impossible to take anything seriously.

I meant the website speculation. Thief 4 speculation is as old as Thief 3

I would love a new Thief game. A proper Thief game. Technology has advanced to the point where they could do such incredible things, and the current gen of consoles are beefy enough that the inevitable multiplatform release wouldn't hold the game back.

And I want frog beast eggs back.

The prospect of Ubisoft making a new Thief is equal parts hope and fear. The hope is that it will be a revival which will be as fitting as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was. The fear is that it will be Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Ubisoft make a lot of games I like, and do try to push for something a bit more creative than the average game. They also tend to miss one of two things or make one dumb decision and end up with a good game instead of the masterpiece it could have been.

At least Thief 3 tried. Modern Thief would not even be doing that.

I have the PC version. Somewhere. How far in is the Cradle anyway? If it's not that far I wouldn't mind playing up to it myself. Rusty skills; it's been years since I last entered the shadows.

The cradle level is famous. As an outstanding Thief mission and as one of the scariest experiences in a game. I have long felt it a shame I didn't play it.
    I could not agree more on the ragdoll physics part. It was an interesting technology, but it should not have been included (or they should have let you toggle it) until its flaws were worked out. It really was hard to get into the mood at all when someone's head was hanging onto their bottom and they were bouncing up and down with one arm stuck in the wall and stretching for 15 feet. (I posted a screenshot of that one up :P)

I seriously hope that they do not make multiplatform releases, unless they design it for a mouse and keyboard (consoles can use them too you know)!

hmmm...you know what I have noticed frog? Most girl gamers I know love SoT and hate WW. Most guy gamers I know love WW more than SoT. :P I hated the stupid conversations and stuff in SoT, and found the gameplay only mediocre. I do not like any PoP game, but I dislike WW the least, because it has decent graphics, fun gameplay, and no cheesy as conversations. :P The latter was my main objection to SoT. :P

The reason I said that about Thief 3 is because they put it in the Thief world, which comes along with a great amount of responsibilty, and they it up so bad that it was an insult to the intelligence of fans and to the Thief world. If it was set in modern times, at least they could not destory the Thief world even more.

That wasn't the one in the orphanage where you had to get rid of the girls memories or something was it? I remember I did like that one. (and yeah, it is pretty scary if that is the one)
    The one where you switch through time and stuff, right?

That's the one

Hmm. :applies willpower: When I finish NWN2 plus add-ons! Great game, but I swear I have been playing it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by peverblue View Post
    I seriously hope that they do not make multiplatform releases, unless they design it for a mouse and keyboard (consoles can use them too you know)!
    It is inevitable. Very little stays exclusive to one platform these days. The more versions about, the more likely the game is to make a profit. I think a Thief game would turn out well enough as the series doesn't have any of the features which usually introduce problems for the PC version. No quick time events, no massive RPG inventory and menus, no platforming which assumes analogue control.

mmm...you know what I have noticed frog? Most girl gamers I know love SoT and hate WW. Most guy gamers I know love WW more than SoT. :P
    I wonder why. On the one hand you have Farah, who is one of the better examples of a female character in a game. On the other you start the game fighting a tacky porn star, and it keeps heading downhill from there. The gameplay had some improvements; the packaging was so nasty I end up walking away every time I try to complete it.

At the same time, it's my experience that plenty of male gamers feel the same. Even gamefaqs, the home of the stereotypical immature internet boy, exploded into wrath over the altered tone. There was such heavy criticism that Ubisoft quickly did an about turn and dumped the whiny wannabe Goth Prince and all that went with him. Prince of Persia is a fairytale, it's 1,001 Arabian Nights. That's part of the attraction; it's what makes it unique and gives it flavour.

I hated the stupid conversations and stuff in SoT, and found the gameplay only mediocre. I do not like any PoP game, but I dislike WW the least, because it has decent graphics, fun gameplay, and no cheesy as conversations. :P The latter was my main objection to SoT. :P
    Gah! The original DOS PoP was the first game I ever played. I had loved the series ever since .... with the exception of WW and last year's offering. And yes, I like the conversations. They're funny.

It is inevitable. Very little stays exclusive to one platform these days. The more versions about, the more likely the game is to make a profit. I think a Thief game would turn out well enough as the series doesn't have any of the features which usually introduce problems for the PC version. No quick time events, no massive RPG inventory and menus, no platforming which assumes analogue control.

I wonder why. On the one hand you have Farah, who is one of the better examples of a female character in a game. On the other you start the game fighting a tacky porn star, and it keeps heading downhill from there. The gameplay had some improvements; the packaging was so nasty I end up walking away every time I try to complete it.

At the same time, it's my experience that plenty of male gamers feel the same. Even gamefaqs, the home of the stereotypical immature internet boy, exploded into wrath over the altered tone. There was such heavy criticism that Ubisoft quickly did an about turn and dumped the whiny wannabe Goth Prince and all that went with him. Prince of Persia is a fairytale, it's 1,001 Arabian Nights. That's part of the attraction; it's what makes it unique and gives it flavour.

Gah! The original DOS PoP was the first game I ever played. I had loved the series ever since .... with the exception of WW and last year's offering. And yes, I like the conversations. They're funny.
    I know, but I can at least hope that they will do it without things up for once.
    About PoP, as I said, I did not like any of the PoP. The only reason I say PoP WW is better than the other PoP is because of the lack of ultra cheesey dialogue and the improved gameplay. Thing is that when I play a PoP game, I don't pay attention to the character, I don't pay attention to the storyline, I don't pay attention to the opponents - I only pay attention to solving puzzles and slicing off heads. The PoP storylines and characters have all been crimes against humanity IMO, and I really do not care if WW's is better or worse, it just was not in your face. It was impossible to escape the silliness in the others, but in WW you could listen to good rock and slice things up until the screen turned red, without having to put up with all the silly dialogue and annoying storyline. :P I still disliked the game for a number of reasons: the prince was an emo, the storyline was another cheesy one that you had to ignore, too much gore (despite what I said earlier about a red screen :P), over sexualisation was so ridiculous that it detracted from gameplay, and of course as with all, it was PoP. PoP combat is sooo unrealistic and soo dumb, that it can be mildly addictive at best, but never taken seriously IMO.
    Don't take offense because of what I said about the cheesy elements, my sister likes them too. :P She agrees with you that WW stunk and SoT was really good.
    Too each thier own...

Hey now, I posted this first in the Gaming News thread...

Oh well, who the hell cares who posted first? I'm just pleased to see the franchise is alive and well!

Let's hope Thief '4' is a return to the spirit of the original games and not the underwhelming third installment. Oh, and the PC version better not feel like a cheap console port.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Hopefully it'll be like the actual thieving levels. Thief 3 WAS mostly crap, but I LOVED the levels that involved sneaking around peoples houses jacking their stuff.

If it could be some kind of combination of the Elder Scrolls and the old Thief games...I'd love that :P
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Blog Entries

I liked theif 3 especially the city and the cradle level, one of the scariest levels in gaming. But maybe thats because I have never gotten the other 2 to work on XP or vista.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-27-2009 at 01:22.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They work on Vista, for some odd reason you have to install Thief 2 first.

They work on Vista, for some odd reason you have to install Thief 2 first.
    Not for everyone, but there is still a fix you can do to get it working. Been a long time since I did it, but if you ask at TTLG I am sure you will get some help.

Thief 4 is officially announced. More info should appear in a bit.

Thanks for sharing, madam! I think, I'll be monitoring this...

Thief 4 is officially announced. More info should appear in a bit.
    I knew it! Now let's see how disappointing it will be. :P I cannot believe you beat me too it Froggy. :P My thread, shameful me!

Blog Entries

I know I should be happy about all this (theif 3's cradle level was the first one to scare me out of playing for more than a month ever) but for some reason all I can think of is why the heck did they replace the letter E with 4? it just looks realy out of place.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

They're calling it: THI4F

What does that even mean? 4 is the 1337 substitute for A, not E. They're making THIAF 4? Or is it THI(ef) 4(FOR) f(FEMALES)?

A bit more detail. There's some good quotes in there, enough to give me some cautious hope despite the logo. I expect thi4f will quietly get a new logo; too many people are mocking the current one.

Nothing about frog beasts though. We should start a campaign for their return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast