Thread: new to eb - question about client rulers

Question new to eb - question about client rulers

I just started playing EB after having vanilla RTW for years. I'm doing really well as the Romani, but have a couple questions about the client rulers for type IV govt.

I forget what the city name is, its the farest north one in Italy, before the Alps, but I installed a client ruler there initially to free up my Roman generals and units. This was good for a while, but the buidling options get limited real fast. So I changed to type 2, I discovered quickly that this made my client ruler an imposter, so had to take him out of the city.

My question is, what do I do with him??? I can't make him a governor over any of my other cities (all types I and II) but I can't get rid of him either. Would it be safe to put him in a fort as a general over other units? I would hate to have him turn rebel on me or something like that.

Default Re: new to eb - question about client rulers

The simple answer would be to tear down the type II government and rebuild the type IV :P
    ...but the sensible answer would be to use him to take another settlement and make him governor of a type IV government there, instead (Gaul and Iberia have some nice locally-recruitable troops for the Romani)
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

First of all, welcome to EB!

Second, you have the choice of killing him by placing him into a fort alone on enemy land, then after that fort gets besieged, make him sally out to attack and dying from the resulting mass rape.

You could make him governor of a fort. Not sure of the utility of him in that situation though. He drains quite a few resources as wages, you know?

You could off course conquer a new settlement and install a type 4 goverment there, and place this guy there.

If I recall correctly, you can turn recruited Generals into client rulers by sending them to a type 4 governed city. But I'm not sure if its possible the other way around by sending a client ruler to command armies on the field.

Cheers.

Once a client ruler, he'll have slow movement. You cannot change this except by adopting him as Man Of The Hour and adding a few triggers to EDCT which you can find in one of the recent threads in the tech help forum.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Just throw him into a rigged battle. Though I like to keep those guys, depending on their upkeep. They get more bodyguards than usual...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Once a client ruler, he'll have slow movement. You cannot change this except by adopting him as Man Of The Hour and adding a few triggers to EDCT which you can find in one of the recent threads in the tech help forum.
    If it wasn't for the slow movement, I'd probably keep him around as heavy cavalry... thanks for the advice.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius86 View Post
    If it wasn't for the slow movement, I'd probably keep him around as heavy cavalry... thanks for the advice.
    I think he have slow movement points because he has 'Celtic Lesser King' bodyguards(who are on foot) and not some Italic general bodyguards with horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    I think he have slow movement points because he has 'Celtic Lesser King' bodyguards(who are on foot) and not some Italic general bodyguards with horses.
    So why would he get less movement points than a hastati?

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So why would he get less movement points than a hastati?
    Because his traits will give negative movement points I guess. Ordinary units and captain led armies don't have to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Because his traits will give negative movement points I guess. Ordinary units and captain led armies don't have to worry about that.
    So basically he needs to go to the nearest barbarian town, besiege it, and get himself killed...

...or take it, and set up a new client kingdom to rule over

Makes sense if you want to RP it, too: wouldn't you do the same if the new overlords marched into your town, set you up as a puppet ruler, then later stripped you of office and made you an "impostor"?
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

you could just send him on a slow tour of the passes through the alps building forts, and leave him in the most exposed one.....

cheers,

Pobs

Quote Originally Posted by soup_alex View Post
    ...or take it, and set up a new client kingdom to rule over

Makes sense if you want to RP it, too: wouldn't you do the same if the new overlords marched into your town, set you up as a puppet ruler, then later stripped you of office and made you an "impostor"?
    yes, i wanted to add, for RPing purposes client rulers can be fab - they are fairly native to their region, so unpredictable in traits and skills, and generally quite interesting to add to the mix!
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

Quote Originally Posted by zooeyglass View Post
    yes, i wanted to add, for RPing purposes client rulers can be fab - they are fairly native to their region, so unpredictable in traits and skills, and generally quite interesting to add to the mix!
    Are there any EB house rules for role playing? I've never done anything like that with RTW...

Yes, you choose your own rules. That could be to have only one full stack at any given time, always assault, never attack unless you are attacked first, leave lazy generals staying in settlements when you'd rather have them campaign etc.
    Last edited by bovi; 02-19-2009 at 21:44.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Are there any EB house rules for role playing? I've never done anything like that with RTW...
    yeah, exactly as bovi said - choose your own. some people have very sophisticated systems for rule. i believe konny wrote up a good set for use for the romani, to make playing a little bit tougher, and a bit closer to how armies were levied/pulled together in the days of the republic.

personally, i normally have a pad when i play eb, and i make a sloppy table recording generals movements each season - so i can track "ah yes, he's governed there for 4 years now" or what have you - v handy for seeing how long young FMs should stay in a city with an academy/school building, or how many battles an FM has fought or towns they've conquered.

that, and of course, paying attention to the FMs different traits can lead to excellent roleplay - someone who is disloyal you could RP has been banished, sending him on a death-journey deep into enemy territory. or a great general could be offered governorship of a city as a reward for military service, etc etc.

there are lotsa options!
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

Another question about a client ruler is this :

If present in a town with a level III , II or I gov together but together with a family member who rules the settlement , will he still get the impostor trait ?

Also , same question about misthophoros strategos , but without the client ruler trait .

To sum it up , the impostor trait is gained as soon as a client ruler/misthophoros strategos steps in a non govIV settlement or is there another trigger for this trait , such as ruling a settlement ?

Also , if not a client ruler , the strategos has movement points dependant on his bodyguard , right ?

Satyros
    Smell the battle in the wind, before you see us.Winterhorde of furyride, the wind will lead us.

I'd set him up in Massallia with a type IV since it's an excellent place for recruiting.