Thread: A sad day for my British Navy

Default A sad day for my British Navy

So here I was having just completed my first war with France. My proud fleet having sent every last Frenchy ship to the bottom of the sea, then I got reports of Pirates in the Caribbean running amok. The pirates had somehow amassed a spectacular battle fleet of nine galleons, six fluyts, and four brigs.They then blockaded my port in Jamaica. I respond by sending My three Admirals and their force of 4 fourth rates and 6 5th rate frigates, 4 6tth rates and two brigs from their port at Portsmouth to engage the dastardly pirates. We knew we were outgunned but our fleet had never known defeat at the hands of a slimy Frenchman, so pirates were going to be a cakewalk. If only my 2 74 gun ships of the line were out of the naval yard then it would be less hectic, but these pirates were a stain on British honour and had to be removed as soon as possible.

We met the pirate fleet outside Kingston, our navy formed up line abreast, prepared to sail right at the motley band of pirates. It didn't appear as if they had any formation at all. My Admiral gave the order and our ships sailed then formed two lines as they closed within range of the pirates to attack them from both sides. The four pirate brigs were in the lead of the pirate fleet and several broadsides quickly took them out of the action. After that My sixth rates met the Pirate Admiral in his Galleon Queen Annes Revenge, with four other galleons firing both broadsides as my ships tried to maneuver...

I may complete this narrative later but lol started to confuse my self. Anyways the pirates destroyed my entire fleet with the loss of only 6 ships I had 19 ships. Luckily for me I saved the game before the battle and can attempt it again when my 3rd rates are completed.

Default Re: A sad day for my British Navy

This sounds sweet

dont forget to use fraps and take some screenshots of the action

the pirates seem to be pretty hard core in this game - Im still unsure whats the best tactic to use against them? maybe boarding

or maybe its because they have a ship of the damned, crewed by the undead.

looking forward to the next instalment, any naval tactics tips you learn will be well recieved by alot of the land lubbers here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Queen Anne's Revenge humm

sounds you lost to Blackbeard

What difficulty are you playing on? The AI gets ridiculous bonuses on VH...

Pirates are evil.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

I am playing on hard difficulty trying to learn the game mechanics. Yes thats Blackbeard's ship, but it was the year 1720, he died 2 years before the battle so..must of been his crew seeking revenge lol.

Actually, the pirates are easy to beat. Don't fight their fleets, just capture Antigua and Trinidad & Tobago. It's their 2 regions. Once those are gone, the pirates are gone. It seems as though they're just a normal faction.

Then again, it's fun to have pirates around!

Hmmm... which makes me think, if they're just a normal faction, they can be unlocked with a few modding tricks... and then we can make A PIRATE EMPIRE!!!
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Actually, the pirates are easy to beat. Don't fight their fleets, just capture Antigua and Trinidad & Tobago. It's their 2 regions. Once those are gone, the pirates are gone. It seems as though they're just a normal faction.

Then again, it's fun to have pirates around!

Hmmm... which makes me think, if they're just a normal faction, they can be unlocked with a few modding tricks... and then we can make A PIRATE EMPIRE!!!
    You will struggle, they can only build two land units, both of them rubbish .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

But they are pirates. Second only to ninja in fighting strength.
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    You will struggle, they can only build two land units, both of them rubbish .
    Perhaps. But that's besides the point. The point being, what will you say Royal Navy, when the pirates invade England!
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Even on normal difficulty those Galleons are the equivilent of of 3rd Rates. The fluyts arent bad either...

There seems to be a big difference between 4th rates and 3rd rates both in the fire they put out and the damage they absorb. And the 5th and 6th rates are just frigates.

Basically the Galleons would be hard for you to sink and would be putting a lot of hurt on your ships with concentrated fire.

You can certainly take on one or two galleons with a group of 5th rates, demasting them and battering them into submission. But a battle is another matter.

they shouldnt have access to 60gun ships at all - pirates used light ships so they could chase their prey and not heavy behemoths... even Queen's Anne Revenge was a 40gun ship (and most of those guns were 12lb guns...) it would have no chance going against military 44 gun Frigate(those often used 18lb and 24lb)...

I avoid the ships and just take their bases. They might be good on water, but all they are good at on land is running away.
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan9119 View Post
    But they are pirates. Second only to ninja in fighting strength.
    Clearly pirates are stronger than ninja, thats why ninja rely on stealth .

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Perhaps. But that's besides the point. The point being, what will you say Royal Navy, when the pirates invade England!
    It's a good point, and well made. The British will never see it coming . I'm hoping for a pirate mod that adds in pirate variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan9119 View Post
    I avoid the ships and just take their bases. They might be good on water, but all they are good at on land is running away.
    Thats terribly unsporting sir!

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Galleon/Fluyts are horridly overpowered versus early military craft, you're basically better off with trade vessels than military ones until you can mass a lot of 4th rates or a field primarily 3rds -- and the tradesmen cost a fraction of the upkeep too.

Also, I would pay for that pirate mod. Arrr. CA could make bank releasing tiny content patches like Pirates or Montezuma's Revenge that for $10.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

They are too slow and I simply cross their T a lot.

Maybe I just play too many naval sims...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence