Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 years

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default 10 years

And I think I know less than I did when I started.

Also Louis forever.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (9):

+ Show/Hide List

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: 10 years

Where is he always wondered why he stopped posting, he was hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Where is he always wondered why he stopped posting, he was hilarious
    Ashes to ashes and all that. I find myself agreeing with Panzer more often too, how terribly passe :(

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Ashes to ashes and all that.
    I hope that doesn't mean what it sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I hope that doesn't mean what it sounds like
    It's a metaphor. I have no contact with the man. I can't speak to his health. I like to think he is in a little chateau in the loire. Turning pages at his leisure, not a care in the world.....naked.

We are all richer for your presence
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (2):

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

.naked.
    That scares me...

... but, I'm certain he's doing all that on taxpayers time.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I think my ideas have evolved in my time on here, been near enough 10 years for me as well.

Who's that in the new avatar?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

It's good when your ideas evolve, I wouldn't want to be reminded of some things I said years ago. It's a shame Tribes left because in hindsight I cannot disagree with him. 10 years are a lot in internet-time.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I don't think my ideas have changed particulary much over the last 10 years. Five years before that (when I joined here) I used to be a borderline communist, but I wasn't here to bother you all with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I think my ideas have evolved in my time on here, been near enough 10 years for me as well.

Who's that in the new avatar?
    *raises hand*

It's William T. Sherman. Thought it was odd at first, coming from STFS.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Ive done basically a 180 on most issues so... great success! Now give me another eight years here and Im sure I will have done a full 360.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (3):

And I think I know less than I did when I started.

Also Louis forever.
    Congrats you whippersnapper you. See i was here whole three months earlier... And yes.We all miss Louis..
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-18-2015 at 07:34.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Hey, congrats SFTS! 10 years here as well. Doesn't seem like it's been that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    And yes.We all miss Louis..
    Especially at night

Maybe if we all stalk him like a ditched girlfriend with no self respect and beg him to come back... ?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Congrats on your tenure... Yes terrible pun
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Member thankful for this post:

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time flies when you're having fun. i think Congrats Strike!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Strike is old, and so am I....

BUT STILL WE ARE NO RESPECTABLE!
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Congrats Strike. Your opinions and perspectives have only become more nuanced and thought out over time.

Your opinions and perspectives have only become more nuanced and thought out over time.
    Of course brevity, to a point, becomes indistinguishable from lack of wit.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From my perspective, Louis was more or less a victim of Banquos Ghost (BQ henceforth).

BQ handled the backroom in a VERY self centered way, throwing out warnings left and right if something didn't suit him, and letting things pass that suited him.

Louis was a free thinker and always challenging his surroundings, and we loved him for it. Heck, I loved him for it, eventhough we often argued.

It came to a point where the Backroom more or less rebelled against BQ, unfortunately, Louis posts became the battleground.

It was just SO DAMN OBVIOUS that the mod played with hidden cards, unfortunately louis posts were used to highlight it, and the forum at large had to step in to quench it...

And that's why it turned to **** and we lost one of our best posters.

I miss Louis a lot, even to this day. He was just collateral damage in the war against BQ.

For me as a person I much prefer the forum post BQ though... I think BQ gave me as many warnings a month as I have gotten since BQ got pushed away... Some several years ago. The Backroom modertaion is actually the last years the best moderation I have seen on any internet forum I have ever been to.. So cheers for that!!

But yeah... A Backroom with todays mods AND Louis would of course have been the best. And honestly speaking, it WAS rather pettty of him to just quit... I would cry for him, but real men don't.

EDIT: Those who have only been here for 10 years are still newcomers in my eyes :p

EDIT2: sorry for grammar and spelling, I am out on the countryside with a laptop from the time when vampires didn't glitter in the sun
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 07-22-2015 at 00:49.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Ah, the 10 year club. Do we count as the Old Guard of the Org now?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Of course brevity, to a point, becomes indistinguishable from lack of wit.
    You are giving away the game my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    From my perspective, Louis was more or less a victim of Banquos Ghost (BQ henceforth).

BQ handled the backroom in a VERY self centered way, throwing out warnings left and right if something didn't suit him, and letting things pass that suited him.

Louis was a free thinker and always challenging his surroundings, and we loved him for it. Heck, I loved him for it, eventhough we often argued.

It came to a point where the Backroom more or less rebelled against BQ, unfortunately, Louis posts became the battleground.

It was just SO DAMN OBVIOUS that the mod played with hidden cards, unfortunately louis posts were used to highlight it, and the forum at large had to step in to quench it...

I miss Louis a lot, even to this day. He was just collateral damage in the war against BQ.

For me as a person I much prefer the forum post BQ though... I think BQ gave me as many warnings a month as I have gotten since BQ got pushed away... Some several years ago. The Backroom modertaion is actually the last years the best moderation I have seen on any internet forum I have ever been to.. So cheers for that!!

But yeah... A Backroom with todays mods AND Louis would of course have been the best. And honestly speaking, it WAS rather pettty of him to just quit... I would cry for him, but real men don't.

EDIT: Those who have only been here for 10 years are still newcomers in my eyes :p

EDIT2: sorry for grammar and spelling, I am out on the countryside with a laptop from the time when vampires didn't glitter in the sun
    Bit too harsh on BG, he just liked good behaviour. when I got a warning I already knew I had gone too far and that it would be comming very soon. I like the loose style of the current moderators though

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post

Eh, I don't remember it like that. For one thing, Loius went into self-imposed exiled after he crossed the line whilst being a moderator. As I recall, and it's been a few years, all that was done to Loius was that he was stripped of his mod title - then he left.

I also don't remember Banquo being "Forced out", as I recall he'd retired at least once before the whole Loius thing kicked off and was basically dragged back into the Backroom because it'd became too rowdy. It's not fair to single out his moderating style, either, because it was the same as Kukri's or BKS' All the mods were harsh and they strictly enforced "gentlemanly" behaviour. In generally I would say the Backroom benefited from that, because it enforced a standard of debate and I have several times argued that things should be tighter than they currently are.

As far as I'm concerned both Loius and Bonquo raised the debate and the atmosphere here, and I miss both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Eh, I don't remember it like that. For one thing, Loius went into self-imposed exiled after he crossed the line whilst being a moderator. As I recall, and it's been a few years, all that was done to Loius was that he was stripped of his mod title - then he left.
    While I agree with you that Banquo did a fine job, I definitely don't agree that Louis crossed the line. It was a jest, there was no insulted party, only a certain member who was more of a troll at the time (and who shall remain unnamed in this instance) demanded strict and vigorous punishment out of spite and pettiness.

If we had applied the rules that rigorously, we'd all be banned by now.

Louis didn't leave because he was insulted, but because he didn't want to remain here if that was the standard. I maybe wouldn't have made the same choice, but in principle he was 100% right.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    While I agree with you that Banquo did a fine job, I definitely don't agree that Louis crossed the line. It was a jest, there was no insulted party, only a certain member who was more of a troll at the time (and who shall remain unnamed in this instance) demanded strict and vigorous punishment out of spite and pettiness.

Louis didn't leave because he was insulted, but because he didn't want to remain here if that was the standard. I maybe wouldn't have made the same choice, but in principle he was 100% right.
    Your discussion is on the first page of the Watchtower, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Your discussion is on the first page of the Watchtower, isn't it?
    Don't know, haven't visited Watchtower in ages. Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post

I also don't remember Banquo being "Forced out", as I recall he'd retired at least once before the whole Loius thing kicked off and was basically dragged back into the Backroom because it'd became too rowdy. It's not fair to single out his moderating style, either, because it was the same as Kukri's or BKS' All the mods were harsh and they strictly enforced "gentlemanly" behaviour. In generally I would say the Backroom benefited from that, because it enforced a standard of debate and I have several times argued that things should be tighter than they currently are.

As far as I'm concerned both Loius and Bonquo raised the debate and the atmosphere here, and I miss both of them.
    Ban-queue's Ghost (see what I did there) was someone I disagreed with as a moderator, to be frank. He played with favourites and had a 100% self-view agenda.

His reign ended when he wanted visitors on the board to somehow, like, DEEPLY respect the 3000 persons killed in the 11/9 attacks (see what I did there, again?).

Louise left when he realized he did not, actually, have free reign.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-23-2015 at 14:07. Reason: toned it down

Congratulations SFTS.
    10 years is a lot on the internets.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post

You know, I don't exactly remember what Loius said but I remember it made me feel a little ill. It was bad enough that I thought it demonstrated he shouldn't be a mod, but far from being ban-worthy.

I think Kad's recollection is clouded by who he was at the time, to be honest, I got several warning from Banquo and Kad probably thinks I was one of his favourites.

I was just terrified of him the way I was my headmaster.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast