Thread: phalangitai and missile in the woods

Default phalangitai and missile in the woods

hi all.
    recently i am conquering greece, as a roman.
    it means, obviously, that i have to face makedonia, epeiros, and koinon ellenon.
    no problem about it - i mean, with legions, who cares how many they are. just ask where they are! - .
    the funny thing is that often i have to face the phalangitai - with sarissae, veery long spears - in the middle of the woods.
    this does not seem to disturb them. they keep formation, move, fight, without any problem.
    this seems to me rather unrealistic...
    moreover, i noticed that the covert of the woods is not that effective against missile troops. i mean: if you are in the woods, bullets and arrows shell like hell as in the open ground. if some missile troops fire from the woods, all their f..ing bullets and arrows arrive straight over your head.
    rather strange, i guess.
    hope i posted it in the right place.
    cheers
    Nec sine Marsis nec contra Marsos triumphari posse
    (Appiano)

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Default Re: phalangitai and missile in the woods

1-think about Alexander Campaign of India phalanxes fought in the forest and they won though nearly Alex died.

2- think about robin hood he ambushed soldiers in the forest.

so they are logical but phalanx armies should have a disadvantage like cavalry while phalanx mode on it may be coded in EDU but if you code phalanx has this advantage wether phalanx mode is on or not so current engine limit give no chance to us.

but archers should be less effective I agree but in ambushes they should have a surprise attack bonus. but AFAIK there is no game engine with that bonus.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Atraphoenix View Post
    1-think about Alexander Campaign of India phalanxes fought in the forest and they won though nearly Alex died.

2- think about robin hood he ambushed soldiers in the forest.

so they are logical but phalanx armies should have a disadvantage like cavalry while phalanx mode on it may be coded in EDU but if you code phalanx has this advantage wether phalanx mode is on or not so current engine limit give no chance to us.

but archers should be less effective I agree but in ambushes they should have a surprise attack bonus. but AFAIK there is no game engine with that bonus.
    1, Thats only in the Movie .... ^^

2. Yes, but Robin Hoods soldier didnt fight in formation like the ones in EB. Buts that the problem with the Rome engine. But anyway units in forests get a bonus against arrows or javelines. But again you cant see it cause in the Rome engine all Missile fly at the target no matter if they hit or not. But you get less casualties.
    Last edited by seienchin; 04-17-2009 at 11:18.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

the biggest mistake you've made is that ur challanging the hellenes as a barbaroi. ur doomed to fail, sorry.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

shortly possible in life but not with RTW

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Probably something hardcoded, I guess EB team cant do anything about it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by satalexton View Post
    the biggest mistake you've made is that ur challanging the hellenes as a barbaroi. ur doomed to fail, sorry.

Maion
    ~Maion

Blog Entries

I just repeat what I said cause nobody seemed to read it

But anyway units in forests get a bonus against arrows or javelines. But again you cant see it cause in the Rome engine all Missile fly at the target no matter if they hit or not. But you get less casualties.

OK dude, you don't have to shout.

Maion
    ~Maion

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    1, Thats only in the Movie .... ^^

2. Yes, but Robin Hoods soldier didnt fight in formation like the ones in EB. Buts that the problem with the Rome engine. But anyway units in forests get a bonus against arrows or javelines. But again you cant see it cause in the Rome engine all Missile fly at the target no matter if they hit or not. But you get less casualties.
    1) Well he did do that crazy Leroy Jenkins move when he went over the wall BY HIMSELF and freaked everyone out. A few siege ladders actually broke under the weight of all the guys trying to save his butt.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

no. i did read it. i swear it!!!
    (Appiano)

but, i still say, phalangitai simply can't fight in the woods.
    polybius is extremely explicit in this: phalanx can fight only in open space.
    and i don't have ANY historical account over phalanx fighting (and winning) in the woods. the greeks, when campaigning in thrace, had to select special groups of young soldier lighty armed among the phalanx, to face the thracians in the woods.

oops. i forgot. i am not encountering real difficulties facing makedonian and epeiros.
    they are many, ok.
    but this gives more fun to the struggle .
    (you know... with roman legionairs, it is difficult to get difficult )
    (Appiano)

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Phalanxes get crazy terrain penalties in forests. They rival heavy cav there, actually. *shrug* Best that can be done under the engine, especially considering that realistically that should only apply to the pikes rather than the much more manageable swords and other sidearms...

Note, incidentally, that Alexander's phalangites were basically retrained and -armed psiloi skirmishers and thus had little trouble converting to a light-infantry role for "close terrain" combat. By the EB timeframe, however, this was no longer the case, and such "cross-training" was the hallmark of elite units.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Phalanxes get crazy terrain penalties in forests. They rival heavy cav there, actually. *shrug* Best that can be done under the engine, especially considering that realistically that should only apply to the pikes rather than the much more manageable swords and other sidearms...
    Yep. I think the problem you're having, belliger, is that even taking into account the hefty penalties that phalangites (and cavalry, and various other footsloggers, too) take when fighting in woods, they're still extremely powerful fighters, and the difficulties of maneouvre-ing and maintaining a phalanx formation in woods that would be clearly observed in reality, just can't be represented any other way in the Rome engine.
    You're going to have to use combined arms and superior manoeuvrability to trump the Hellenes with Roma. Or just use the phalanx-breaker exploit...
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by satalexton View Post
    I Challenge you Averni vs your faction of choice.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Well, well, satalaexton. The Barbaroi are showing us their real faces again. What is the last resort of a failing barbaros? Violence

Maion
    ~Maion

Though oddly enough they don't like killing the Carthies. The OP's problem must be why. All the troops are on pikes.

I didn't do this. It were all them Mak lovers wot dun it.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Punk View Post
    I Challenge you Averni vs your faction of choice.
    I choose......Bartix.

Sorry, u WILL lose that. No hard feelings.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

ok whatever. you n me, averni vs makedonia. I'll take you down a notch. SEND ME A PM! it will be done! There will be witnesses, there shall be a dinner at 6 afterwards.

BE GONE!
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"