Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Default Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

http://www.economist.com/world/europ...ry_id=12868180

Found this interesting. Not surprising that a group that was converted under the Ottomans would go back to Christianity (of one kind or another).

The Ottomans were a very secular Islamic empire, but I'm sure being a Muslim helped so many converted.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Re: Converts...from Islam to Christianity?

According to that article many were Christians in the closet anyways, so it's not really a large change, only that they're becoming more open.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    According to that article many were Christians in the closet anyways, so it's not really a large change, only that they're becoming more open.
    True, but it's good to see they feel comfortable coming out with it.

The Saudi sheikh's are stepping up there game though. I read that one of them is spending 28million on a new mosque (maybe more than one?) in the region.

When will the world ever be free of the bloody missionaries?

The single worst feature of one of our world's religions, and lack of them the saving grace of every other religion....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

The single worst feature of one of our world's religions, and lack of them the saving grace of every other religion....

Of the major religions, only judaism and hinduism have never tried to expand their religion to other people. And Buddhism was the first to give it a try.

And the reason why most of these people's ancestors converted to Islam in the first place is because....why do I even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post

Of the major religions, only judaism and hinduism have never tried to expand their religion to other people. And Buddhism was the first to give it a try.

And the reason why most of these people's ancestors converted to Islam in the first place is because....why do I even bother.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Actually judaim did do the converting stuff but that was during the Romans

There's a difference between "trying to expand a religion", and trying to shove your religion down the throat of every living soul on the planet, because they'll all go to hell if you don't.

Because of the sword, because of trade and influence, because of alliances, because of a better chance to gain power, because those in power had that religion etc, the normal stuff. Not because a bunch of tele-evangelists held miracle rallies.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 15:45.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Because of the sword, because of trade and influence, because of alliances, because of a better chance to gain power, because those in power had that religion etc, the normal stuff. Not because a bunch of tele-evangelists held miracle rallies.
    And because the the Ottoman millet system (and the dhimmi tax under the Arabs in other areas), while tolerant of the existance of other religions, discriminated against them with additional taxes.

Wich part of the article makes you think that conversion is shoved down their throat?

And because the the Ottoman millet system (and the dhimmi tax under the Arabs in other areas), while tolerant of the existance of other religions, discriminated against them with additional taxes.
    Are you going to whine that the Ottomans taxed a heretic a bit more at a time when we were burning the slightest divergence from the true faith at the stake...?

And I would say that the extra tax is covered by what I said, under "because of a better chance to gain power"...

Wich part of the article makes you think that conversion is shoved down their throat?
    That part was aimed at christianity in general
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 16:02.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Are you going to whine that the Ottomans taxed a heretic a bit more at a time when we were burning the slightest divergence from the true faith at the stake...?

And I would say that the extra tax is covered by what I said, under "because of a better chance to gain power"...

I will traverse seas to convert you and put your name on numerous church "please call me lists". You'll be suckin' down the Eucharist before your next birthday. Count on it.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nope. But I'd put it in a different way: places in history that are generally labelled "enlightened safe havens" for religious minorities, like the Arab caliphates for most of their time or the Dutch republic in the 17th and 18th century, are more a reflection on what a cesspit the rest of the world was at the time.

None of wich I consider particulary relevant today. Personally, I've only been approached two times by someone trying to convert me and they were both Jehovah's Witnesses (and to be fair, they weren't pushy about it)
    How about you?

Nope. But I'd put it in a different way: places in history that are generally labelled "enlightened safe havens" for religious minorities, like the Arab caliphates for most of their time or the Dutch republic in the 17th and 18th century, are more a reflection on what a cesspit the rest of the world was at the time.
    I never did call them "enlightened safe havens" though

And we do agree on that.

None of wich I consider particulary relevant today. Personally, I've only been approached two times by someone trying to convert me and they were both Jehovah's Witnesses (and to be fair, they weren't pushy about it)
    How about you?
    Yes, two times is about the number of times I get approached. I assume you mean daily, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    I will traverse seas to convert you and put your name on numerous church "please call me lists". You'll be suckin' down the Eucharist before your next birthday. Count on it.
    I'm pretty sure someone already made that prank
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 17:04.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Actually judaim did do the converting stuff but that was during the Romans
    that was because the romans had many harsh decrees against the jews so we hoped that by converting romans as much as we can, judaism would become more acceptable, thus having the oppressive laws removed.
    after they saw it was hopeless they stopped.

also, its very hard to convert. judaism wants that so we get honest converts, not ones who are just looking for a life experience. the average conversion for Orthodox Judaism process takes about 2-3 years.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-31-2008 at 17:27.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The (early) middle ages in Europe weren't nearly as bad for religious minorities as people like to think. Just about all major towns had thriving jewish communities and heretics were hardly prosecuted, that is about at the same time as the islamic golden age, prosecution of heretics was more political then religious little dispute between the HRE emperor and the Vatican.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investiture_Controversy

that was because the romans had many harsh decrees against the jews so we hoped that by converting romans as much as we can, judaism would become more acceptable, thus having the oppressive laws removed.
    after they saw it was hopeless they stopped.

Not really, jews were pretty much left alone, been revolts that were put down the roman way but romans didn't really care, they were traditionalists, as long as you payed tribute to the gods and later the emperor they didn't really mind that much. That is why christians were prosecuted, they refused to pay honor and the romans feared that would bring harm over the empire since it would displease the gods.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-31-2008 at 17:46.

Even atheists try to do that to Christians, so relax.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

We don't do it in general, and if you are seriously trying to tell us that you get approached twice a day then, unless you pick theological fights, I'm flat out not going to believe you.

Now, onto the topic at hand. What seems to have happened here is that a nominally Muslim group of people without strong ties to the religion have decided they would like to convert. The really interesting part here is that this seems to be happening now, perhaps because there is no longer an Us-them, Muslim-Christian, dynamic.

Regardless of your religious leaning this is a wonderful story because it shows people are willing to break with a national identity and make personal choices, that is a very positive sign for the stability and openness of the society.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Even atheists try to do that to Christians, so relax.
    I'm sorry, but I have yet to see atheists(or any other non-christian) do any of the following:

- distribute flyers telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow the true religion
    - stand around in streets or whatever to preach
    - send missionaries on door to door missions*
    - organize massive rallies to convert people
    - organize miracle rallies to make people believe

....and this is just a few of the billion number of extremely annoying ways the christians use to convert people. Please stop. I'm tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    We don't do it in general, and if you are seriously trying to tell us that you get approached twice a day then, unless you pick theological fights, I'm flat out not going to believe you.
    Not any more, because I'm switched jobs. However, at my old job, every day I went to buy some lunch, and on my way to buy said lunch, I would be pestered by the same idiot handing out the watchtower. First on my way there, then once again on the way back

*this one is by far the most annoying one

Not any more, because I'm switched jobs. However, at my old job, every day I went to buy some lunch, and on my way to buy said lunch, I would be pestered by the same idiot handing out the watchtower. First on my way there, then once again on the way back

*this one is by far the most annoying one
    So you have a grudge against the christian religion because of that *one* guy?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

I'm sorry, but I have yet to see atheists(or any other non-christian) do any of the following:
    - distribute flyers telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow the true religion
    You do realize how that sounds, right? But I've seen posters, billboards, signs, flyers, you name it. A quick Google Image should probably help you out as well.

I've seen Muslims do that as well as atheists and Christians. All of the above rarely stand in the streets and preach, but I've found that many atheists "preach" in schools and workplaces I have attended.

- send missionaries on door to door missions
    Jehovah's Witnesses don't count.

I've yet to see a rally to convert people. I've seen many rallies as gatherings of those who are already faithful.

....and this is just a few of the billion number of extremely annoying ways the christians use to convert people. Please stop. I'm tired.
    Don't you think it's also annoying to have atheists follow you around and tell you that you're wrong? I don't get many Christians preaching to me, and I didn't when I was of an agnostic bent either. I constantly get atheists telling me I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 12-31-2008 at 20:48.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, Come to the True Relgion, Christianity!!

(Joke, don't mean any offense you know )

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Seen this from atheists, though obviously not going to "hell"

Saw this once over Christmas, they were Evangelicals and American sponsored, I've had more contact with weirdo sects this year, and Buddhists a couple of times.

- send missionaries on door to door missions*
    This is the people of the JH persuasion, they're often quite nice actually. I usually invite them in for a cup of tea, just like my mum does. After all, they do a thankless job. Never come across a Christian denomination that does this.

Never even heard of this

- organize miracle rallies to make people believe
    Heard of this, never heard of one near me. Personally I'd be more worried about a demon possessing the miracle worker than I'd expect a cure. I'm not big on demons

No more than two of which apply to any Christian I have met.

Why don't you stop with the insulting and, frankly, ignorant generalisation.

One guy? That's your basis for hating religion in all it's forms?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Don't be unfair Philipvs, HoreTore always singles out christianity in his rants

Nah. My fundamentalist relatives took care of that pickle pretty much from the beginning...

After all, they do a thankless job.
    As well as an utterly pointless, irrelevant, annoying and idiotic job. Get a haircut and a real job, lousy hippies.

Don't be unfair Philipvs, HoreTore always singles out christianity in his rants
    That's not true!! I also pick on conservatives, market libbies and nationalists...
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-31-2008 at 21:32.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Seen this from atheists, though obviously not going to "hell"

So you've seen atheists dristribute flyers saying people are going to if they don't follow the true religion...

the words religion and hell wouldn't really play with an atheist flyer (unless they were questioning them) so i dont see how atheists could do something similar without hell mentioned...

I have never once had an atheist try to convert me, many times people have attempted to convert me to christianity... im sure there are atheists who try to force thier beliefs on others, but they are hugely outnumbered by christians who try to force thier beliefs on others...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    So you've seen atheists dristribute flyers saying people are going to if they don't follow the true religion...
    The way HoreTore worded his post was obviously a little strange. However, yes, I have seen (and I presume he has seen as well) atheists distributing flyers saying that religion is wrong.

im sure there are atheists who try to force thier beliefs on others, but they are hugely outnumbered by christians who try to force thier beliefs on others...
    Perhaps it is a matter of location, but I've always had many more militant atheists trying to talk me into following their quasi-religion.

I agree in many circumstances it's annoying and often they sound ignorant, but when they're telling you that you're going to hell, in many cases they genuinly believe what they're talking about and want to "save" you. At least from what my right wing Christian conservatives tell me...

Converting seems to be a problem when money is involved. For example Mormons require members of the church to send 1/10th (I think that's the fraction) of their income to the Mormon church. There is a perfect reason to have aggressive conversion stances...

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Perhaps it is a matter of location, but I've always had many more militant atheists trying to talk me into following their quasi-religion.

Well to be honest in personal experience its hardly any of either, in school it simply wasn't discussed except in r.e. though thinking on it that means we get told about all the religions but not atheism... but in personal experience very little of christianity, and well i never see like a group of people in town centre trying to tell people theres no god, maybe it only happens in fairly big cities but in the likes of newport and cardiff and i can honestly say i haven't seen it (not that im there all the time)

I was more basing my opinion on the fact that there are big powerful organisations with commited followers who want to convert people, whereas there seem to be little disorganised groups of atheists making the odd effort, with things like the bus advertising topic we discussed a while back...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    I agree in many circumstances it's annoying and often they sound ignorant, but when they're telling you that you're going to hell, in many cases they genuinly believe what they're talking about and want to "save" you. At least from what my right wing Christian conservatives tell me...
    So what? Why on earth should I care...?

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't understand what's happening here, do you?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast