Thread: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Hi y'all,

this is my first post in the EBII forum, mainly because I think that my computer won't be able to handle it anyway. But the recent previews about Pergamon and the province system have cought my attention. So I have two questions:

1. I've heard that the city models for the battle map haven't encountered a skilled modder yet, with the dire consequence that they keep their medieval appearance. Has that been solved, or have I been misinformed?

2. I've also heard that M2TW doesn't allow the player to change the heir-to-the-throne, rendering it quasi impossible to roleplay a dynastic succession. Has the EBII-team come across a solution for that problem?

These things would be quite important for me upon considering to switch over to EBII one day.

Default Re: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

EDIT: Misread (1), nevermind that one.
    For (2) not that I know of. The concept was there: pop up and advisor on a suitable advice thread, present a Yes/No option and simulate a mouse click on currently hidden UI. It didn't work though (the UI simulation), and I am unaware of any follow up concepts. The again I am not the most up to date with the EB 2 campaign (map).
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-13-2009 at 20:52.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Not a EB member, but a modder; still here goes:

1. Currently not a high priority as per one of EBII press releases(can't be bothered to check which post exactly).

But this is a matter of concern for me as well since unlike RTW the entire settlement battlemap system will have to be rehauled. To appreciate the complexity of the matter consider the following that the murrus gallicus was finally implemented after 1.0 and that was only a single building.

So my ETA for a EBII with new settlement battlemaps is christmas 2011 or later. Those who cosider me overly pessimistic are advised to wait and watch.

2. One word : Hardcoded
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    1. I've heard that the city models... ...keep their medieval appearance.
    I don't think this will be a problem.

2. I've also heard that M2TW doesn't allow the player to change the heir-to-the-throne, rendering it quasi impossible to roleplay a dynastic succession
    It's true that the faction heir can't be changed. However, it looks like we can take control over which character becomes the faction heir.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

As for #2, I'll put it this way: I think I'm going to be playing the Romani and Carthaginians (who don't have family trees) when EBII is playable, because I cannot play a royal dynasty without the ability to chose an heir.

Default AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

So am I right on assuming that these two issues have not been solved, and probably won't be anytime?
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-14-2009 at 22:02.

Default Re: AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    I think I'm going to be playing the Romani and Carthaginians (who don't have family trees) when EBII is playable, because I cannot play a royal dynasty without the ability to chose an heir.
    The Romans and Carthaginians will have family trees. For all factions, you ought to be able to select who becomes the heir. You will not be able to change the current heir.

So am I right on assuming that these two issues have not been solved, and probably won't be anytime?
    We have not yet solved #1, but I'm sure we'll figure out how. #2 can't be fixed, but as I said, we should be able to enable the player to control who becomes the heir, which is something that you can't do in EB1.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

#1 Is thechnically fix-able (or close), you can find threads about .world files on the TWC. Just that it takes an unholy amount of work to get one reasonably `rich' unit to be done for a faction (including research) already: work has not started in earnest on getting settlements done.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-14-2009 at 23:05.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Default AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Thanks for the info, I'll follow the development particularly in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    #1 Is thechnically fix-able (or close), you can find threads about .world files on the TWC. Just that it takes an unholy amount of work to get one reasonably `rich' unit to be done for a faction (including research) already: work has not started in earnest on getting settlements done.
    Gods your right there! Had a look at the .world file thread the other day and my mind just popped. There are some seriously intelligent people working over there.

Default Re: AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius View Post
    #2 can't be fixed, but as I said, we should be able to enable the player to control who becomes the heir, which is something that you can't do in EB1.
    To be more precise, you can in advance choose who should become the next faction heir when the current faction leader dies and the current heir becomes the leader. It appears that the authority of the characters is the sole criterion for selecting the next heir, so by giving a massive boost to authority to the one chosen by the player, it should fall on that one.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Default AW: Re: AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    To be more precise, you can in advance choose who should become the next faction heir when the current faction leader dies and the current heir becomes the leader. It appears that the authority of the characters is the sole criterion for selecting the next heir, so by giving a massive boost to authority to the one chosen by the player, it should fall on that one.
    OK, that's a workaround but not perfect either. When the king dies, you'll have to select the heir of the new king. When he's a bit younger, it's very likely that his offspring is still in childhood.

Edit: When Megas Antiochos (from my campaign ;)) finally got his son, he was already 39 years old. He got a second son with 46. I wonder what the people at CA think to disable a feature they had already programmed. Does anyone know how it is in ETW?
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-15-2009 at 04:20.

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Heh too bad (for Romans) you couldn't turn priests into "Senators" and "Vote" a new faction leader in

Thumbs up Re: AW: Two Questions from Ye Olde EB1-er

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius
    The Romans and Carthaginians will have family trees.
    Actually, I think what MAA meant is that the Roman and Carthaginian "family trees" represent a sort of alliance of oligarchs, and not an actual dynastic family tree (up until the point of gifting them hidden infertility traits to encourage adoptions?).

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius View Post
    For all factions, you ought to be able to select who becomes the heir. You will not be able to change the current heir.
    EB'ers! OUR HOPE IS RESTORED!!!!
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 04-22-2009 at 06:55.