Thread: To Every Boy a Good Dog

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default To Every Boy a Good Dog

For Easter, a happier story. In the backroom because it features guns and Canada.

Retriever saves 11-year-old boy from cougar attack in Boston Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Ryan, Vancouver Sun
    Angel leapt a full 1.5 metres above the ground, sailed over a lawn mower and intercepted a cougar mid-air, just as it was about to pounce on 11-year-old Austin Forman.

The cougar got Angel, a golden retriever, around the neck and the two animals fell to the ground, the cougar’s jaws clamped tight around the dog’s neck.

Austin ran inside, frantic and screaming.

“I was terrified,” said Austin. “My dog saved my life, but now the cougar had him.”

Austin had been bringing firewood in from the backyard woodshed at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday in a Boston Bar subdivision, a regular chore.

But this time, as he paused with his wheelbarrow full of wood, he heard the sound of something crunching across the snow.

He turned and saw a dark shadow just an arm’s length from him. Then it charged. Angel jumped, leaping at the cougar.

Austin’s panicked mother, Sherri, immediately called her husband, who was at his dad’s place, and then called 911.

Within minutes, the howling and crying of the animals had stopped. From inside the house, “all we could hear was the heavy breathing of the cougar,” said Austin’s 17-year-old sister Holly.

“He had Angel’s head in his mouth and was suffocating her.”

RCMP Const. Chad Gravelle happened to be at the station, not far from the Forman home.

“I got the call that there was a cougar mauling a child, and that it was Austin,” said Gravelle.

“He’s a good little guy, and I was just hoping nothing was happening to him.”

Gravelle rushed to the house. “The daughter came out, everyone was crying. They said the cougar had the dog.”

Gravelle’s first thought was “Thank Christ he doesn’t have the boy.”

Then he drew his gun. There was no second thought.

“I ran through the house and out the back.”

Gravelle told everyone to stay inside.

“I leaned over and I could see the tail coming out from under the porch, and I could see the cougar had the dog at its neck.”

Gravelle paused. “I wanted to hit the cougar and miss the dog. They were all tangled up together.”

He took his time to aim and line up his shot, three or four seconds at most.

The first shot got the cougar in the hind end, said Gravelle. He hoped that would be enough, but the cougar only growled and clamped down harder on the dog’s head.

Gravelle shot again, this time hitting the cougar in the head.

Inside the house, Austin heard two loud bangs.

“It was very exciting to see him take action right away to get that cougar away from our dog, that he didn’t hesitate,” said Austin.

But when his father, Jay, and Gravelle pulled Angel out from under the porch and lay her in the snow, she didn’t move.

“I thought she was dead,” said Austin. He didn’t want to go outside.

“When we got the cougar off of her, she was barely breathing,” said Jay. “All of a sudden she took a big deep breath.”

Angel began to drag herself through the snow, rubbing her face in it, trying to clear the blood away. Slowly she raised herself up.

“All of a sudden its lungs filled with air and it stood up, like a person shaking off a long sleep,” said Gravelle. “It was unreal.”

“She’s up,” cried Jay.

Austin and the rest of the family came out and down the back stairs.

Angel, her eyes covered in blood, her fur matted and torn, went from person to person, sniffing them until she got to Austin.

“She stopped at my son,” said Jay. “Once she had smelled him and made sure the cougar didn’t get him, she went back and flopped down.”

Austin threw his arms around Angel. “I thanked her and petted her and gave her a hug.

“After I found out that she was alive, I was very joyful,” said Austin.

“I’m happy that my dog is all right and that the cougar didn’t get a chance to harm anyone else.”

He said that before the attack, he’d noticed the rambunctious one-year-old retriever was behaving oddly.

The dog stuck a little too close to him as he pushed the wheelbarrow through the snow, and then lay down in front of the woodshed door, as if to block it as he loaded up.

Usually Angel would be tearing around the yard, playing, only coming if she was called.

As Austin emptied the first load from wheelbarrow in the house, he told his mom he thought Angel was finally learning to behave.

The attack happened as he stopped for a second to rest as he wheeled the second load across the yard.

While there had been reports of a cougar being spotted in the area, no one was too worried. The woodshed was in the backyard, and besides, cougars didn’t usually cross to that side of the Fraser River.

Austin’s grandfather, Lloyd Foreman commended Gravelle. “We can’t say enough about the quick response by the officer involved.”

Angel will be taken to Chilliwack veterinary hospital today for a checkup, but other than some puncture wounds and tears, it looks like she’ll be all right.

“She loved to play in the snow, so we used to call her our snow Angel,” said Jay. “Now we call her our guardian angel.”
    Ah, dogs. Better friends than we deserve.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: To Every Boy a Good Dog

If something similar to Heaven turns out to be real, I expect it will be populated with a great many dogs, and not so many humans.

Normally I'm not much of a dog person, but they do have the potential to my 1,000,000 times more awesome than cats.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

i love dogs........

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    If something similar to Heaven turns out to be real, I expect it will be populated with a great many dogs, and not so many humans.
    Haha, yeah, no kidding. Too bad dogs don't have souls...

But in all seriousness, this was a heartwarming story. I sincerely hope Angel enjoys a long life of comfort and happiness.

Great story. I love dogs.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

this is why dog cruelty is just so heartbreaking. they love their people almost unconditionally even when they are mistreated.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

This thread makes me sick. There are two sides to every story, and it's typical backroom behavior for everyone to jump on the side of Lassie and the 11-year old boy, and completely demonize the cat.

I once knew a 7 year old girl who sold blackmarket catnip to some local kittens and one of them ended up jumping off a 39 story building. The mother of the kittens shredded the little girls pillows and pooped on her bed. Everyone took the side of the little girl then, too.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I once knew a 7 year old girl who sold blackmarket catnip to some local kittens and one of them ended up jumping off a 39 story building. The mother of the kittens shredded the little girls pillows and pooped on her bed. Everyone took the side of the little girl then, too.
    They need to do way instain mother> who kill thier babbys. becuse these babby cant frigth back it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had kill her three kids . they are taking the three babby back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots

Crikey you got hold of some good stuff pretty sharpish!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Crikey you got hold of some good stuff pretty sharpish!

Neat

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    this is why dog cruelty is just so heartbreaking. they love their people almost unconditionally even when they are mistreated.
    Yeah, I feel the same way, too.