Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello 3rd World, Any Seats Free ?

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Hello 3rd World, Any Seats Free ?

Twitter is banned in Turkey as of last night.

I can not give any sources since I am at work and all news websites are blocked.

Hello, 3rd world.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Hello 3rd World, Any Seats Free ?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

What's Erdogan's support nowadays?

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Abdullah Gul has even gone on record opposing this move. Is this the begining of the end for Erdogan?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What's Erdogan's support nowadays?
    Eh, I got the impression that the support for Erdogan stems mostly from the rural population as well as the urban disenfranchised. LEN can fill you in on more about that I think.
    This space intentionally left blank.

The elections are coming. I wonder if Erdogan gets the boot.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

They revealed some tapped phone calls via Twitter, which discredited Erdogan. Hence the blocking of the site. Mind you, I have no idea who "they" are.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Those guys are always so busy, when do they have time to relax and enjoy their ill-gotten gains!

Normally I would say blocking Twitter is not necessarily a bad thing on general principle. But petty censorship isn't really a reason to do so and might backfire.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

My dad just sent me this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tag.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	12533

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    Twitter is banned in Turkey as of last night.

I can not give any sources since I am at work and all news websites are blocked.

Hello, 3rd world.
    We heard.

If it makes you feel any better, this would probably be top of the news if it weren't for Ukraine and that Jet.

and the Jet doesn't really deserve it.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (3):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I would express sympathy but the US cut down some pretty old oak trees back in 1924, so I have to keep my mouth shut
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Hmm, I don't quite get it?

WHY was twitter banned?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Hmm, I don't quite get it?

WHY was twitter banned?
    Censoring freedom of speech. Like how it is banned in China and Iran.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Censoring freedom of speech. Like how it is banned in China and Iran.
    So the Turkish government went "We are gonna limit freedom of speach!!"

Even China blames it on protecting the children and stuff...

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Beautiful country, great people, nasty undercurrents.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    So the Turkish government went "We are gonna limit freedom of speach!!"

Even China blames it on protecting the children and stuff...
    Officially, it is because people use twitter to spread slander and lies, and perform character assassination of innocent Turkish officials. Turkish court ordered some "content" be removed/blocked and since twitter didn't comply, they banned it.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Ahh, Turkey, our NATO ally against Putin's Dictatorship... Can't wait to see our friends Fisherking, ACIN, PVC and RVG on this one. Remember, freedom of speech, corruption, flawed elections ...

So, the Muslim Democratic Party...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Ahh, Turkey, our NATO ally against Putin's Dictatorship... Can't wait to see our friends Fisherking, ACIN, PVC and RVG on this one. Remember, freedom of speech, corruption, flawed elections ...

Obviously you miss a lot. I am not pro NATO, Pro EU, or Pro US Government in its current incarnation. I am strongly opposed to the limitation of individual rights and liberties by any government. I think that most foreign policy by most governments comes down to money and who gets it.

My only other comment in this thread has been

So, have another

Mark Twain

Enlightening.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I wish the whole world would ban Twitter.
    Turkey sure is taking this Alec Baldwin thing personally
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Husar 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post

Putin has serious structural problems, problems with minorities, problems separating an educated Urban elite from an uneducated rural mass.

However, in Turkey's case this is the Prime Minister throwing a hissy fit not even the President agrees with. In fact, he openly mocked the Prime Minister by circumventing the ban!
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

And not Turkey?
    I like the "however"...

Well the thing is Erdogan et al. are modern-er "spin-off" from Necmettin Erbakan's -the pivotal Islamist post-Republic era politician- movement, that's why they were "denounced" by Erbakan long before his death.

The newer movement basically formed around Erdogan, President Abdullah Gül and deputy prime minister Bülent Arınç who were energetic and had a "cause" against secular Kemalism which propelled them even further, however without any real cadre to fill in the breaucratical and technical positions opened up as AKP won the elections as heavily that granting them to be able to found the government by themselves. Therefore, so as to fill such positions of power requiring skills and education, AKP allied with Gulen's "hizmet" movement which is an oddly well-spread (owns "Turk schools" in 150+ countries) and devoted group of well-educated non-West-hater Islamic group led by Fethullah Gülen -a former imam with such a charisma that his words are taken the sole truth by his followers under any circumstances.

However as far as Erdogan's extremely pragmatist world view goes, the marriage came to a silent end in 2012 when judges -considered Gulenists- summoned Hakan Fidan -head of MIT (Turkish secret service) allegedly to have brokered negotiations with PKK in Oslo. The allegations would directly lead to PM himself, so all of a sudden he ordered a bill to be passed which eliminated any possibility of interrogation of MIT employees without the consent of PM.

The cracks of the relationship between the (former) allies became more apparent in the following times. PM is a relentless character so he hit (back) at the Gulenists -known as "Cemaat" here- from their most vulnerable nerve, the private coursehouses (it is a giant business sector since the Turkish education system is based on qualification exams for schools at different grades). He called for the closure of private coursehouses claiming that it was "hurting the education system badly". The reaction was instant and lethal -on 17th of December, four ministers (one of them which was the minister of internal affairs, top responsible for police force) and their sons as well as the director general of Halkbank (state-owned bank) were summoned for trials on allegations of money-laundering, transfer of embargoed Iranian funds, corruption and bribery. The second wave of summonings included Bilal Erdogan, PM's son very deeply involved in various businesses and the front name in the oversized and unaccountable welfare of Erdogan family in recent years. His call-up was prevented via police force (probably ordered to do by himself in person) refusing to comply with the public prosecutor's orders and the huge circulation of police force topping at almost 10.000 policemen followed the "resistance". Because certain policemen and prosecutors were claimed to be under orders/suborned by "parallel state" -a term Erdogan coined for Gulenists integrated into the bureaucratic system.

The harsh measures indeed prevented the trials for some time and after these "measures", 4 ministers quit from the government. Minister of Environment and Urbanizing resigned saying "whatever I did, it was by direct orders and under knowledge of his (PM). He should resign too.". The Gulenist ex- and in-charge-by-then ministers/parliamenters showed themselves one after another, criticizing the management of the party or quitting. PM called them "saltcellars" -a slang used for people who are ineffective by themselves and subordinates.

Consequently, the hitback from the Cemaat was as fierce as it could be -disguised and never openly firing as always though. Lots of legality-disputable technical eavesdropping records that include conversations of PM, his son, former minister of justice, Reza Zarrab (individual claimed to be used in transfer of earnings to Iran), PM's consultants and businessmen were leaked to the internet via certain Twitter accounts such as @haramzadeler, @bascalan etc. The recordings spoke of unparallelled amounts of bribery, clearing of personal funds following December 17 shockwave, pressure and forced self-censorship on certain newspapers and TV channels, illegal/unethical actions against the possibility of trials, vulgarity and even prostitution as a means and so on. Also another Twitter account called as @fuatavni appeared, leaking lots and unbelievable confidential information from PM and his surrounding. This latest account claims 25th of March to be the time for "the peak of the leaks". The leaks called "manipulative" by the government caused PM to rage about internet; he recently told "Twitter or whatever, we will eradicate it" and approved the possibility of banning of Youtube and Facebook following the elections if needed.

So fares the ambience of upcoming local elections to be held on 30th of the month. The tension between the political parties and the society itself is higher than ever. Everyday we watch news of people clashing in the streets either provoking or fighting each other over their political preferences.

There you go, as of yesterday, Turkey made its name into the history by banning Google DNS -a widely used DNS to circumvent the ban. Even VPNs fail from time to time. Banning the internet is not a fantasy for us anymore.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 03-24-2014 at 09:53.

Members thankful for this post (9):

+ Show/Hide List

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Seems things are getting worse, now Youtube is about to be blocked. Scary stuff...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Seems things are getting worse, now Youtube is about to be blocked. Scary stuff...
    Ouch!!

Why don't they go ahead and just ban information?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Erdogan is more and more acting like a mad dog. Total freak.

The local elections held on last Sunday are subject to never-seen-before kind of fraud claims, denunciations and requests of recounting. The municipality of Yalova, after recounting, has already swapped parties - from AKP to CHP. And in the capital city of Ankara, following the re-election of formerly 4-time mayor through a 1 percent of vote count difference, the main opposition party, CHP reported a lot of missing vote records and the records have been collected by almost all non-AKP voters, not only pro CHP people and the directorate general premises of the party was awake 24 hours the day before.

It's such a disturbance that we, as civilians, had to organize in 2 biggest cities as "ballot box witnesses" via NGOs which was not enough to count the elections free of any frauds. We had to find vote records, count the votes ourselves, spot inconsistencies, report them and organize gatherings against any intrusions by police force or ministers. (internal affairs minister visited YSK (high commission of elections) at 3.30 after which the current mayor of Ankara closed the gap against the nominee of CHP and "won" the elections by 1 percent)

Not only that, but also three towns of the city of Şanlıurfa, Ceylanpınar, Birecik and Viranşehir made it to the news because of demonstrations by mainly BDP (pro-Kurdish party) officials and voters against the elections that ended in favor of AKP.

We can hardly trust government institutions anymore which, maybe fortunately, triggered an urge for civil organization and actions -not very common with Turkish people.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 04-02-2014 at 14:24.

Members thankful for this post (2):

It is hard to find anything on what is happening there. At least in English.

I did find a piece on RT: http://rt.com/news/turkey-protest-clashes-election-621/

BBC has nothing.

Mark Twain

I wonder why the Army is silent. Did the Ergenekon trial really do that much damage to the army's standing?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast