Thread: 3DS

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default 3DS

Has anyone got one? Are you going to get one?

I got mine yesterday, and my first real games for it will be in today. So far my experience has been limited to the included "Face Raiders", "AR Games" and vanilla DS games.

So far, I really like it.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Default Re: 3DS

I dont think I will bother with it for I simply will not be able to perceive the 3dness.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Blog Entries

My sister got one. I have double vision, so I have problems seeing 3D in the cinema, but I was deeply impressed by how good the tech is in the little machine. The games line up, on the other hand, is just dire.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Motep View Post
    I dont think I will bother with it for I simply will not be able to perceive the 3dness.
    But you can, it doesn't work like normal 3D, no two eyes required (I take it that's your problem). It's like a window looking inside a 3D enviroment, check out the video's you'll see what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    The games line up, on the other hand, is just dire.
    So this is your first Nintendo system launch then?
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Blog Entries

Touché, haha. Perhaps I meant dire by Nintendo's standards?

Seriously though, it's abysmal. Pilotwings? Dead or Alive? Nintendogs? Where's either the hardcore Nintendo crack that will satisfy the fanboys/girls, or the Serious Business games that Nintendo says it still cares about making (ha)?

I think Pilotwings is actually fantastic, even if it does have a bit of a "tech demo" feel to it. Anyone who remembers the DS launch should have expected this- few games many of which overuse or don't use the new features to their true potential. It took the DS a good long while to hit its stride, but now it's library is unrivaled.

I bought Pilotwings and Samurai Warriors: Chronicles. Pilotwings is a beautiful game that can have alot of replay value for perfectionist-types. Samurai Warriors is a Dynasty Warriors game... on a handheld... in 3D- based on that alone you should already know if you'll love it or hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    But you can, it doesn't work like normal 3D, no two eyes required (I take it that's your problem). It's like a window looking inside a 3D enviroment, check out the video's you'll see what I mean
    Well, you do need binocular vision to get the true effect, but it still offers great graphics and other innovations like the AR games demonstrate- which I think you're referring to.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 04-01-2011 at 04:19.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

nintendos games are................

yeah.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post

yeah.
    I resent the accusation Nintendo games are stud-muffins.

I passed on the 3DS mainly due to how expensive it was. I can't justify $250 for a handheld right now, for that price I could amost buy a ps3! Heck, i probably could if i wanted to buy it used. I will admit that there's some really cool aspects of it, and playing Super Street fighter 4 on the go would be amazing.

But. I bought my DS lite not more than a year ago and I'm still quite enjoying it. I just got Pokemon Black for it, and i've been tinkering around with it for months - through modifications i've effectively turned it into an all-in-one media center that plays games. I'm nowhere close to giving that up for 3D.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post

yeah.
    Lol, somebody has never played Metroid Prime. I will be the first to admit that the quality of the average Wii game is poor, but to say that Nintendo's games (By which I assume you mean first party titles) are poor is just bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Touché, haha. Perhaps I meant dire by Nintendo's standards?

Seriously though, it's abysmal. Pilotwings? Dead or Alive? Nintendogs? Where's either the hardcore Nintendo crack that will satisfy the fanboys/girls, or the Serious Business games that Nintendo says it still cares about making (ha)?
    You realize that the Nintendogs alone will pay for the systems over head for the next 2 years. It will move units, it's the killer app for the launch.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Blog Entries

Naturally, but it's basically the same game as the DS version. Except in 3D. And with Miis. And Cats. There's nothing new.

I think your GROSSLY underestimating how willing females are to plunk down they skrill for a few new tidbits. These are the same humans who'll gleefully shell out $300 for shoes or hand bags, multiple times.
    Last edited by lars573; 04-02-2011 at 05:43.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    I think your GROSSLY underestimating how willing females are to plunk down they skrill for a few new tidbits. These are the same humans who'll gleefully shell out $300 for shoes or hand bags, multiple times.
    Never a dull moment.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Blog Entries

I guess. Maybe you're just seeing the dying throes of kneejerk Nintendo fanboyism in me.

If sales at my Target store are any indication, the 3DS is a bomb. Aside from launch day, I'm not sure we sold a unit all week. I know I didn't sell one at least. No one is lining up to buy it. Not even getting phone calls about it. To be fair, Target is hardly a gaming mecca, but then, we do sell a few of DSs each week normally.
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 04-03-2011 at 17:39.
    This space intentionally left blank

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    If sales at my Target store are any indication, the 3DS is a bomb. Aside from launch day, I'm not sure we sold a unit all week. I know I didn't sell one at least. No one is lining up to buy it. Not even getting phone calls about it. To be fair, Target is hardly a gaming mecca, but then, we do sell a few of DSs each week normally.
    The few news stories i've seen on the subject paint a picture of the 3DS losing serious steam after launch day. The PSP is now outselling it on a weekly basis in Japan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The few news stories i've seen on the subject paint a picture of the 3DS losing serious steam after launch day. The PSP is now outselling it on a weekly basis in Japan.
    Ouch, that's horrific! Maybe it'll pick up when OOT is (re)released?

Mostly the hard core Nintendo crowd that bought it on release. Many others are probably waiting until the library fleshes out more or the price drops. The original DS had a slow start too, so I wouldn't read too much into this.
    -Abraham Lincoln