Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norwegian Of The Year 2010

Default Norwegian Of The Year 2010

.....is to be deported to Russia.

"Maria Amelie", age 25, fled from Caucasus with her parents when she was 12, during the ethnic cleansing of the Chechen people. She came to Norway four years later, at age 16. She has lived these past 8 years in hiding from the Norwegian government, as a paperless immigrant without any rights or protections. She has no right to work, no right to education, no right to a personal doctor, etc etc.

Yet against all odds, she has prospered. She has a masters degree from our second best university, she works for free as a coordinator on two of our biggest music festivals, she has a Norwwegian boyfriend, she speaks flawless norwegian.

And she made a fatal mistake. She entered the public debate as an author to give a voice to the thousands of paperless immigrants in our country, those who are without a doubt the lowest of the low. Her book was an instant best-seller. Her chronicle in Norways leading newspaper sparked immense debate.

And now she is punished.

To disgrace our society even more, the criminal police officers picked a truly shameful location for her arrest: just after giving a lecture at the Nansen School. Nansen is one of the most famous Norwegians and a true humanitarian. And what is the reason for his fame? His unwavering support for refugees. His greatest feat was helping half a million refugees from WW1 find their way home. He founded lots of organizations to help refugees. He dedicated his life to get nations to treat refugees with respect and decency.

And outside the school named in his honour, the justice departments armed thugs arrested a refugee and will destroy her life.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Norwegian Of The Year 2010

It sounds more like they set up themselves to fail.

If public support is that strong she will get her papers.

Otherwise I guess it is Germany that will benefit. Someone will take her.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The big IF is of course that Putin is "less kind" to political opposition, especially those coming from Caucasus.

If she ends up dying in Russian custody, I'm joining an Al-Q boot camp.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    the Nansen School.

His greatest feat was helping half a million refugees from WW1 find their way home.
    So, they are helping this woman find her way home after the war as well, no?

Edit: With a Masters degree no less.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 01-13-2011 at 21:09.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    So, they are helping this woman find her way home after the war as well, no?

Edit: With a Masters degree no less.
    Yes, like we sent the Czechs back to the USSR after their failed resistance.

She is an integrated part of Norwegian society. This is where her life is, this is where she has her ties. There is nothing for her in Russia anymore. Her love is in Norway. Her entire adult life has been in Norway. It was not h decision to come here, she has simply made the best out of the circumstances others have put her in.

Thus, she must be allowed to stay.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 01-13-2011 at 21:17.

Why her? There are a billion people starving out there. What makes this rich, well-educated, Caucasian woman better than a starving African?

Just because her parents could afford to move to Norway she gets to keep the jackpot, while half a billion Africans live in pitiful circumstance? That's not right, is it? Why don't you open an airlift to get them out of Sudan?
    Not everything

Who said I am opposed to african immigration, Louis?

You should know by now that I am not.

Why her? There are a billion people starving out there. What makes this rich, well-educated, Caucasian woman better than a starving African?

Just because her parents could afford to move to Norway she gets to keep the jackpot, while half a billion Africans live in pitiful circumstance? That's not right, is it? Why don't you open an airlift to get them out of Sudan?
    It's obvious that she should be allowed to stay, assuming what's been said is accurate. I would ask you the same question louis, why her? Why spend the effort to arrest and deport her particularly?

Maria Amelie is treated like those who do not follow the legal ways to gain access to Norway.

Yet she has not broken any laws, she was not the one who entered the country illegally. Her parents broke the law when they entered, but she had no say in that decision. A 12 year old girl cannot tell their parents what to do.

Furthermore, she is important to our public debate. She has described a situation we know little about. She hasa become a political figure, who was voted "Norwegian of the Year" a month ago, and is easily one of the most important females in the public debate.

And now she is removed for her political activism, she is punished for confronting the policies of the State. She is politically troublesome, and now, in the spirit of Stalin, she is deported to her GULag.

This happens in the year dedicated to the Honour of Nansen, outside the school named in his honour.

It's an utter disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Who said I am opposed to african immigration, Louis?

You should know by now that I am not.
    I know that.

What I am asking is: what is the difference between this woman, and a starving African in war-torn Sudan?

Why should the former live like a queen in Norway, while the latter starves a miserable death? Neither are Norwegian, is the sole criterium 'had the money, resources and luck to sneak into Norway'?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki
    I would ask you the same question louis, why her? Why spend the effort to arrest and deport her particularly?
    My position is to deport all of them equally.
    Not everything

My position is, of course, to keep them all equally

But Maria Amelie dors actually have something more to her. She is a political figure. And her punishment is politically motivated. If she has kept her mouth shut, she could've continued her life in hiding, like her Sudanese counterparts are doing as we speak.

But she instead chose to broaden our political debate, to stimulate our intellectual discourse. Being punished for that is something they do in dictatorships, such terrorism is not worthy of a democracy.

Nah, she is trying to use her fame to place herself above the law, and then couldn't resist provoking the law enforcement a bit more.

Just because she is a famous public figure there should be a seperate treatment for her? She can't ever be expelled anymore? I thought you were against privileges for the rich and famous?
    Not everything

Blog Entries

Her fame wont do her much in russia and from what horetore's saying her riches wont be going with her.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 01-13-2011 at 22:16.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My position is to deport all of them equally.
    It's easy to have a position that isn't relevant

Anyway, she is clearly not being deported "equally" whatever that means. She was targeted specifically.

She sounds like a good citizen. Keep her. What country wouldn't want as many good citizens as they could have?

Nah, she is trying to use her fame to place herself above the law, and then couldn't resist provoking the law enforcement a bit more.

Just because she is a famous public figure there should be a seperate treatment for her? She can't ever be expelled anymore? I thought you were against privileges for the rich and famous?
    Try again, Louis.

She gave a voice to those who had none, even though she knew that by doing so, she risk deportation. If she had kept her mouth, she would've been left alone, and she knew that too. Rich and famous? She works for free, as her status means that she cannot earn money. She may have gotten some money from the book, though. But rich and famous? Puh-lease. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    She was targeted specifically.
    JACKPOT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    She sounds like a good citizen. Keep her. What country wouldn't want as many good citizens as they could have?
    North korea, burma, zimbabwe... shall I go on?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    North korea, burma, zimbabwe... shall I go on?
    It feels GREAT to add my own cuntry to that list. Just swell! My heart is filled with pride!

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but he did ask.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

She was targeted like someone littering in a police station would be. Or should "celebrities" who break the law be treated differently? Or is it anyone who breaks the law in an obvious way? Trying to steal a police car from in front of the station should be a misdemeanour...

Either you can be an idiot and get a Masters from the second best University, or she knew the risks when she made the stand.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    She was targeted like someone littering in a police station would be. Or should "celebrities" who break the law be treated differently? Or is it anyone who breaks the law in an obvious way? Trying to steal a police car from in front of the station should be a misdemeanour...
    Either you can be an idiot and get a Masters from the second best University, or she knew the risks when she made the stand.
    Littering in a police station?

Try "showering the police station with golden coins".

Norwegian society has been better because of her actions. She is an important political figure in opposition to the current regime.

The funny thing is that we have critized China for months now for their treatment of Liu Xiaobo. And then we treat people the same way ourselves.

If Liu had kept his mouth shut he would've lived a normal life now. If Maria Amelie had kept her mouth shutm she would've continued the life she has lived so far.

We congratulate Liu Xiaobo for speaking out, and encourage others to do what he has done. And then we deport them to Russia when they actually do it.

Maria Amelie has done nothing wrong. She has simply done what her parents told her to do while she was a minor under the criminal age. The criminal in this story is our government, our police and our courts.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The point that I'm sure you chose to ignore is that she has broken the law for years. She is not a child any more, and made no effort to correct the situation when she became one. I take it she lied to get into University. I was under the impression that laws weren't optional. Or is it that as long as one is important the laws can be moved to the side?

Liu Xiaobo is Chinese, right? So the reasons are completely different as she is not an illegal immigrant.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

She has not broken any laws.

She haqs not made any statements to the authorities, as she has not been allowed the opportunity to do so. Her parents spoke for her in her case, she has not been given the opportunity to give her statement as an adult. We are not responsible for the crimes committed by other people.

She did not lie to get into the university she was accepted as an illegal and paperless immigrant. Her education is 100% legal. She haven't even worked illegally, she has instead accepted that she is not allowed to have an income and has thus chosen to work for free instead.

150 million seem to manage in Russia. It's no crime to be forced to return. Plenty of Russians overstay their visa, then get send back. Albeit usually not with a masters degree on the taxpayers' money.

It's great for this woman that she lived a third of her life in Norway. It is great that in between hanging out with rockstars at festivals and getting a free masters degree, she even found the time to write a book complaining to the Norwegians about them mistreating her in this manner. But now she shall have to return as she discovers there are, in fact, not two sets of rules, one for the plebs and one for the famous.
    Not everything

Blog Entries

Why didn't she apply for citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Why didn't she apply for citizenship?
    Because she has not been allowed to do so by the state.

And why not?
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    And why not?
    Because her case(whch means her parents case) had already been handled once, and she was refused her own case.

They simply applied for refugee status and were denied.

They were perfectly allowed to do so by the Norwegian state, which housed, fed and otherwise provided for them until the end of the legal procedings, fully paid for by the state as well.
    Not everything

Whenever the refugee problem gets a human face and a name, sentiments change. 'Oh, but not this one...this one is different...her we should keep, send the others back'

The story of this woman is the same as that of tens of millions of others. This is exactly what we do every time refugee status or a permanent residency permit is denied.
    Unless one is willing to have an open door policy, the deportation of women like this one is daily routine, is the very face of restricted entrance policy.
    Not everything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast