Thread: Fleets won't merge

Default Fleets won't merge

In short, when I try to merge fleets, the screen where you shuffle unit cards to the left and right pops up, but the two ships (one on each side) are greyed out. So I can't merge fleets. And I know it's possible to have more than one ship in a fleet, because the enemy has 3 ships in a fleet, and I have one fleet (in port) with two ships, but that's because I built them "on top of eachother".

Anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Default Re: Fleets won't merge

Fleets often won't merge because the RTW engine won't allow one admiral to serve under another.

If you want fleets to have more than one ship, put your ships in port the turn before you make the new ones. The new ones will then join the older ones.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: Fleets won't merge

Quote Originally Posted by Beanerz View Post
    Fleets often won't merge because the RTW engine won't allow one admiral to serve under another.
    True, but I believe the OP is talking about merging ships with admirals lacking stars, which was possible in vanilla. Not being able to merge any ships is an EB feature, since EB counts every ship unit as a whole fleet, instead of a single unit as vanilla did.

Otherwise, Beanerz is correct. To make large fleets, just stick one of your existing fleets in the port a turn before a new naval unit will be trained.

Short version: in EB you cannot [should not be able to] (usually) fully merge Roman fleets.

Long version: I am going to hazard a guess and say you were playing with the SPQR. In that case *all* admirals get a nice Roman name, AFAIK. And that means that *all* admirals have (hidden) traits. And in RTW you can't merge the admiral's fleet/naval-unit with another admiral's fleet/naval-unit if both of the admirals have traits, ancillaries or command stars.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 05-07-2009 at 23:35.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    True, but I believe the OP is talking about merging ships with admirals lacking stars, which was possible in vanilla. Not being able to merge any ships is an EB feature, since EB counts every ship unit as a whole fleet, instead of a single unit as vanilla did.
    Which isn't correct. In EB and in Vanilla the basic block of anything in the way of armed forces is a unit. Whether or not you wish to interpret the "number of things in a unit" as "the number of soldiers/crew in a unit" or "the number of ships" is irrelevant here: it's a matter of interpretation and not based on how the game works at all.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Short version: in EB you cannot [should not be able to] (usually) fully merge Roman fleets.

Long version: I am going to hazard a guess and say you were playing with the SPQR. In that case *all* admirals get a nice Roman name, AFAIK. And that means that *all* admirals have (hidden) traits. And in RTW you can't merge the admiral's fleet/naval-unit with another admiral's fleet/naval-unit if both of the admirals have traits, ancillaries or command stars.
    Same with KH; have not tried with other factions but I assume it is the same no matter which faction you are playing - once a fleet has an admiral, the ship on which the admiral is (the one with the golden star) can not be transferred to another fleet.

With KH, Admirals seem to "spawn" some time after completion of ships; they are not immediately present after a naval unit has been built in a port, so it is sufficient to have the fleet for which the naval unit was built within 1-turn-range of the created ships to have them join that fleet.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

You are right, I was playing Romani. Guess I'll just bunch them next to enemy ships when attacking. Thanks for the clarification!

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

its because those admirals have fought a battle already. if they are totally green they wont.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Thats certainly not true
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Nope not even if you try to merge a totally new fleet with a five-star admiral. It does not work and it annoys me, of course Nelson would subordinate himself to Parker as those were the Admiralty's orders...

Edited to add that the Admiralty later ordered that the roles be reversed and they were. When the high command gives an order they expect it be obeyed, as do I when playing EB, insurbordination makes me want to court martial the disobedient.
    Last edited by Macilrille; 05-09-2009 at 10:07.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

I believe I have encountered captains instead of admirals in some of my EB campaigns... Only in the first couple of turns after creation of the fleets though and even if they remained in their home naval bay - but whether an admiral is spawned with the fleet seems to be random. Anyway, there should be some way to either script-auto-kill "inferior" admirals on merging of fleets or to manually remove them via console... But I can't think of one.
    Is there such a thing as a kill_character command and if so would it kill the admiral but leave his fleet intact?

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.