Poll: Ski or snowboard?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Skiing or snowboarding?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Skiing or snowboarding?

So, who here is skiing and who is snowboarding?
    Why this and why not the other?

Discuss.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Skiing or snowboarding?

Tried skiing once, problem is that I already get high-anxiety eating a deep bowl of soup.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I ever have a choice, definately snowboarding.

1. No stupid little pole things
    2. Looks cooler
    3. 1080 Snowboarding on the Nintendo 64. Best sports game ever. Apart from World Cup '98.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I ski, I tried snowboarding once, but found it hard to get the hang on (you don't look so cool falling on your face)

are you counting Mario-Kart as a sport's game?

Last edited by Scurvy; 01-28-2009 at 15:03.

I snowboard myself, even if I don't like the fact that high speed controlling is a BIG pain in the

My board is a Burton Love 58.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I don't have enough balance to snowboard. I fail miserably. But, I agree it looks cooler.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Skiing. Tried snowboarding, but just don't like it as much. Boarders on groomed trails are the incarnation of evil. They need to stay in the backcountry where they belong, and where they are really meant to be, riding on top of powder instead of turning trails to ice chutes.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Skiing rocks.

A few months ago I tried to teach myself snowboarding, wich was painful. Next time I expect it will go better though.

Blog Entries

neither, though snowboarding looks cool ~
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-28-2009 at 22:42.

Skiing, who wants to be a knuckle-dragger?
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I haven't done either but snowboarding looks far cooler!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Snowboarding for sure. Skiers just look gay whilst trying to walk in those stupid boots not to mention they always look like their feet are in agony, poles are a bad thing too. Also skiers take up too much room on the slopes skiing in those stupid long lines, forcing me to cut them up...... actually, that`s a good thing.

I ride a Burton Clash 56 with Burton Mission bindings, I`m actually between boots at the moment.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-31-2009 at 01:30.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Snowboarding. Although I had a little painful experience, I finally managed to teach my self how to stop and how to turn right. If I knew that I should slow down more often rather then rocket it down the hill the whole way, I would've done better..

Oh.. and I need to learn how to go left.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 187Beefyz View Post
    Lean the other way
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    Lean the other way
    I keep on falling from my back when I do that

But maybe next time, ill master going left

Quote Originally Posted by 187Beefyz View Post
    Snowboarding. Although I had a little painful experience, I finally managed to teach my self how to stop and how to turn right. If I knew that I should slow down more often rather then rocket it down the hill the whole way, I would've done better..

Are you goofy or regular?

Proud

Been to:

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Skiing looks 'gay'?

I'll tell you what looks lame - a chubby snowboarder sliding slowly straight down a black diamond run with the look of a dazed cow on his face, not even attempting to turn and carve down the slope.

I saw that today, and it frustrated me.

And people badmouthing poles have obviously never used them. They're very useful, especially for stabbing annoying loudmouths nearby.

You know, the idea that snowboarding is cooler that people who've never tried either sport have is one of the reasons I despise snowboarding culture. People like that chubbo thinking they're cool.

As for all you people scorning skiing, I'll race you on any slope of any mountain and win.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Yes, skiing is much easier. I can ski myself. Snowboarding, on the other hand, is very difficult, even if it does look "cooler". I honestly do not think it is worth the effort to learn. Looks more like magic to me. Is there any generally accepted sport that is more difficult than it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Are you goofy or regular?
    goofy I guess. In soccer, I can't kick with my left foot (best I can do is pass)

I can go decently fast if I'm willing to take a smash on my head

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Skiing looks 'gay'?

I'll tell you what looks lame - a chubby snowboarder sliding slowly straight down a black diamond run with the look of a dazed cow on his face, not even attempting to turn and carve down the slope.

I saw that today, and it frustrated me.

And people badmouthing poles have obviously never used them. They're very useful, especially for stabbing annoying loudmouths nearby.

You know, the idea that snowboarding is cooler that people who've never tried either sport have is one of the reasons I despise snowboarding culture. People like that chubbo thinking they're cool.

As for all you people scorning skiing, I'll race you on any slope of any mountain and win.

CR
    Of course you will win, because skiers have a smaller surface in contact with snow than snowboarders. But on a very hard slope with lots of turns, especially slow ones, we win. We might control it harder but we accelerate faster and turn much sharper than skiers.

The guy was a simple beginner, sliding down, that doesn't mean all other snowboarders are the same. Expert snowboarders are just amazing when it comes to speed, control and off piste. I'm an intermediate and can't do it as fast but I can handle a black piste without any problems, including off piste, which I find amazing.

Proud

Been to:

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Of course you will win, because skiers have a smaller surface in contact with snow than snowboarders. But on a very hard slope with lots of turns, especially slow ones, we win. We might control it harder but we accelerate faster and turn much sharper than skiers.
    I said any slope.

The guy was a simple beginner, sliding down, that doesn't mean all other snowboarders are the same. Expert snowboarders are just amazing when it comes to speed, control and off piste. I'm an intermediate and can't do it as fast but I can handle a black piste without any problems, including off piste, which I find amazing.
    Yes, he's like all the guys here who gush about how cool it is and end up being lame on the slopes.

And yes, I know there are incredible snow boarders. My problem isn't with them, but with everybody who thinks they'll be just as cool as they scrape down slopes, and cause me no end of frustration through various other dull headed activities.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

But on a very hard slope with lots of turns, especially slow ones, we win. We might control it harder but we accelerate faster and turn much sharper than skiers.

Want to doing something like this on a snowboard?

Snowboarding may be easier in the beginning but after you get the basics down your good. Skiing is much harder to master. Everyone who I have talked to who has done both for a significant chunk of time will tell you that skiing needs more skill.
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 02-03-2009 at 02:06.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    1. No stupid little pole things
    That's only in competitions.

*slaps the silly aussie*

Though all the snowboarders sitting on their behinds all over the place do make excellent poles....

I've done both, but I much prefer skiing. Why? Speed. Also, being Norwegian, I'm supposed to be born with them on my feet, so....
    Last edited by HoreTore; 02-03-2009 at 08:52.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post

Want to doing something like this on a snowboard?

Snowboarding may be easier in the beginning but after you get the basics down your good. Skiing is much harder to master. Everyone who I have talked to who has done both for a significant chunk of time will tell you that skiing needs more skill.
    It's actually the other way around, in the beginning with snowboarding you fall so many times your backside is blue. Control is harder than in skiing by far.

Proud

Been to: