Thread: NEW YORK

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Default NEW YORK

Alright... I am going to spend a long weekend in New York this spring with my wife and some friends.
    We have already booked the hotel.

One day will be spent driving up to a big mall north of NY (Friday) Saturday, Sunday and part of Monday will be spent in NY.
    I know there is a Rangers vs. Devils game that weekend, but the tickets are insane. We plan to see Wicked as our obligatory Broadway show and the girls wants to do some shopping. I want to see one or two museums, ground zero and Empire State.

Any other suggestions of what to do/see/eat while in New York?
    What are "a must" while in NY for the first time.
    Status Emeritus

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Default Re: NEW YORK

Go to Brooklyn and eat some real pizza.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

There is one pizzaria in Brooklyn which is considered the best in NYC. Its right near the Avenue J subway station, but I forget its name.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say the Museum of Natural History is a must as far as museums go. The "suggested donation" is fairly cheap, and the place has everything you could think of - dinosaur bones, animal dioramas, descriptions of past cultures, a planetarium, etc etc etc. Shopping I don't know too much about, I'll leave that to the Orgahs who have been to the city more than a grand total of seven times.

Agreed with the others on Brooklyn pizza, but if that's a bit too out-of-the way for you then I suggest John's Pizza as an alternative. It's in Midtown Manhattan so a short walk from Broadway, cheap (do you sense a recurring theme here?), good, and the interior I think is a converted church, so it's interesting in that way too. Also, if you or the wife have ever seen When Harry Met Sally, Katz's Delicatessen is where they filmed the famous "I'll have what she's having" scene. It also helps that the food there is delicious (and somewhat cheap).

Also, if you want to see real hockey, you need to head about an hour and a half south. The Flyers have a game on Saturday night.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Go to Woodstock and check out Big Pink!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Go to Brooklyn and eat some real pizza.
    This

Btw, Sigurd, are you enjoying that Euro- Dollar exchange rate? :)

Edit:

I just realized you aren't using the Euro.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

The MoMA is one of the best museums in the city, with many famous works. Well worth the price:
    http://www.moma.org/

For shopping, you can get no better experience than going to the SE corner of Central Park (5th and 59th) and walking south on 5th. Block after block of top-notch stores. More good shopping is in Soho, particularly around West Broad. Greenwich is also filled with great shops and tons of awesome little cafes and wine bars. Start at Washington Square Park and walk west through the streets, it's great.
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-08-2011 at 20:57.

Yeah.. Pizza. New York is famous for that. I guess that is a must.
    Museum of Natural history - check.
    Not sure about art museum. I love technical things and gadgets. Any such museums?
    I'll pass on the shopping tips. We will be staying in Midtown close to 7th avenue, Time Square and Central Park.

I just got the tickets for the Broadway show - Saturday at 8pm. $1068 for six tickets. It's getting up there with the Rangers vs. Devils game.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-08-2011 at 23:23.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post

Btw, Sigurd, are you enjoying that Euro- Dollar exchange rate? :)
    Heh... the exchange rate between NoK and $ is quite good. 1 dollar is about 5,58 NoK. It used to be around 7 NoK
    Status Emeritus

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Here's a link to NYC museums. If you go to the Museum of Natural History don't miss the Rose Center. You have to get your picture taken before the Lions of the New York Public Library too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PatienceLion_preview.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	1135  
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*