Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behold the Mighty Armies of... The Welsh?!

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

Wink

Yes you did read it correctly, Wales is getting the PBEM Treatment.

Expert Difficulty, And the rules are...

THERE ARE NO RULES (Well except for the standard Write ups and titles being assigned to each King)

So get out your Longbows, ready your arrowheads and prepare to turn your enemies into pincushions

Who wants a go?

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

I would love to, but keep me on hold as my copy of MTW is;t working right now.

I wanna play, I really do, but don;t go putting me in first as I may well not get it fixed by then.

Btw, I'm honurary wel;sh myself, and living in wales
    I was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, who's intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he'd lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed "What To Do If One Army Occupies A Well-Fortified And Superior Ground And The Other Does Not", but since the first sentence read "Endeavour to be the one inside" I'd rather lost heart.

Sure thing well let me know when you want to have a go.

Come on anyone else interested in this Challenging PBEM set in the Viking Era?

Register your interest below

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I'm like Sociopyschoactive - and like St Augustine talking about celibacy - yes, but please not now I would like to join but am still slugging through the Byztanine PBM. After that I have commitments until next Friday. I would be free to join in from the 13th March onwards.

Thumbs up

I'd love to join in. I'm on a trip this weekend, but I don't think that's a problem, is it?

As is the case I will do the first reign, however I also will be off on a trip this weekend.

So at this stage, this thread is for people to put their names down until I get around to starting this campaign off. There is no rush at the moment.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

hi, I would like to join.

Ok so far we have...

The_Emperor

Mysterium

Katank

Simon Appleton

As for Sociopsychoactive let me know if you decide to join in later on.

Anyway I'll make a start on the first reign tonight.

Hi, Emperor - please put me down after Katank, cheers
    Simon

I'd like to try.. :)
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (1pain1Duck @ Mar. 08 2004,12:23)]I'd like to try.. :)
    So here is the List again...
    Oh and Welcome aboard 1pain1Duck, your name has been added.

The_Emperor
    King Caradoc I (793 - ?) The Current King of Wales

Mysterium

Katank

Simon Appleton

1pain1Duck

The Reign of Caradoc I King of Wales

There was a great frenzy in the air as the sturdy Celtic Warriors gathered near the great settlement.

It was mid-793 AD, Caradoc the King of the Welsh was about to address his people. Throughout the crowds warriors could be heard boasting about their past glories, drink was passing freely and many men were excited by the prospect of a new campaign...

Before Long a stocky man stood upon a wooden platform, Great warriors of our people, behold your King

A roar of approval came up from the gathering crowd as Caradoc himself stood beside the man on the platform, he was a tall man of 29 years of age. His Rough Justice in the violent repression of numerous rebellions over the past few years had earned him a fearsome reputation... No-one dared to speak out against him and if some thought he was oppressive, they were frightened enough to keep those thoughts to themselves

Great warriors of this age, your time has come. For many centuries our people have survived in this land against all invaders.

The Romans Came, and they failed to subdue our ancestors... They would not be the last, for years since the hated Saxon Kings arrived and pushed our people further and further back.

But just like the Romans before them they overlooked the courage of people who live in this land

The gathering warriors once again cheered with approval.

Now our time has come, signs and omens in the Skies to the Northeast point to a major crisis looming for the Saxon Kingdoms of Mercia, Northumbria and the Southern Saxons, and we shall be ready to hasten their downfall

Go back to your villages and prepare yourselves for War, the Saxons of the South shall be the first to endure our wrath

The Welsh people set about their tasks with eager anticipation, from the Hills and valleys they will come and wage war upon their enemies.

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

I'll have a go with the welsh, especially since there are no rules

Alright the year is 823AD, and King Caradoc I died at the healthy age of 59.

His Eldest Son the brave Prince Conan (who distinguished himself in battle alongside the king when the Saxons were crushed) has taken the throne.

Long live King Conan I and Queen Fenells of the Scots

I shall let my successor choose a title for my King, but my chief achievement was wiping out the Saxons.

The game has been uploaded, and now I must go back to my write up, I have a big battle to write about in the shape of the Saxon's Last stand in Dornsaete

The_Emperor
    King Caradoc I (793 - 823)

Mysterium
    King Conan I (823 - ?) The Current Welsh King

Katank

Simon Appleton

1pain1Duck

son of spam

The Reign of King Caradoc I

The Quick Strike
    Late in 793 a small Welsh raiding force crossed from Cerniu into the nearby region of Defnas.

The Saxons were taken by surprise and the small garisson of 100 men, led by the aptly named 'Coeldred The Unready' was forced to retreat to the nearby warrior hold.

In 794 the gathering Welsh advanced on the warrior Hold and its rabble within.

Almost immediately a breach was made in the wooden defences protecting the settlement and the Welsh archers with a clear field of view let loose the fury of their bows upon the enemy.

Before long the gathered Welsh warriors, fearsome in their Celtic war paints were eager to storm in and massacre everyone within... The enemy didn't have a chance and all 100 men were butchered with only Ten Men falling to the enemy.

This small skirmish was merely a warning to the Saxons of a greater danger to come... The Army of King Caradoc himself.

The King's Son
    The year of Our Lord 794 was to also see another key development, the King's firstborn son Prince Conan came of age, taking his place on the fields of battle.

Even at such a young age Prince Conan had a reputation for being Angry and Irritable with a great Killer Instinct on the battlefield... Some even nicknamed him Conan The Barbarian as a result of seeing these traits surface on the battlefield.

Preparations for conquest

What do you mean WE are NOT ready? The advisor to the King was shaking in his boots... Bad news was not something to tell King Caradoc, for it was whispered that he will mark you as a rebel and have you and your family executed alongside the guilty and innocent alike...

The advisor stuttered as he continued to speak...

S-Sire we have not enough Warriors to strike at the heart of the Saxons, it will take years to raise an army

The King was pacing impatiently back and forth, finally he knocked a Mug off the table letting out his frustration.

I don't care how long it takes, raise me an army, get contributions from every village, we must get ready to meet the Saxons on their own ground... Don't fail me

The advisor bowed and as he walked to leave paused in the doorway of the great hall.

Sire, what of the Rebel warlords in Defet and Clwyd? Surely they must be of more pressing concern than the Saxons.

The King looked back at the man with a steely gaze... I decide how best to use our forces, they are of no threat to us

The advisor hurried away and the king pondered the words of the man, for all his talents this advisor had become a little too persuasive for his own good... I'll deal with you when I deal with those rebels, rest assured your name will make it onto the list of traitors

The Welsh invaded Sumorsaet in 801AD... the Vikings withdrew back to their homeland provinces of West Seaxe and Dornsaete, their forces remained very large and potentially dangerous.

The Alliances
    As the Welsh consolidated their strength, alliances quickly came about. A Bishop arrived on behalf of The King of Northumbria, who warned of the Pagan devils that come from across the Waves... An alliance was formed to secure the Northern edge of the Welsh nation.

He would not be the last to arrive as before long a princess arrived from the King of the Scots...

The marriage of Prince Conan did little to dampen his enthusiasm for combat and before long he was forced to join the King's army as it crossed into Sumorsaete ready for the final push against the enemy...

Once the campaign was over there would be plenty of time to spend with his beloved bride.

The final push began the following year as West Seaxe was invaded, the Saxon King abandoned his hall... preparing for a final stand in Dornsaet.

Three years after the invasion of West Seaxe a large rebellion was seen on the border following a swift Viking Raid, With the Bulk of the Welsh Armies stuck between the Saxons and Rebels, One threat had to be eliminated...

King Caradoc could wait no longer, the threat of the Saxons had to be eliminated once and for all

With over 1,000 men on each side, the battle for Dornsaet would be bloody and brutal...

Go, Emperor Sounds like a very aggressive start to the campaign. I am a little worried about a repetition of what happened to Nigel in the PBM game (wiping out a faction to see it re-emerge too strong) but I trust you know what you are doing. Good luck

Yes lads give them what they deserve I wish I could join the match but in the army there is not many time...

Quote[/b] (Simon Appleton @ Mar. 10 2004,20:15)]Go, Emperor Sounds like a very aggressive start to the campaign. I am a little worried about a repetition of what happened to Nigel in the PBM game (wiping out a faction to see it re-emerge too strong) but I trust you know what you are doing. Good luck
    Don't worry, the Saxons were surrounded and eliminated and i have made sure that we took their old provinces...

In fact, Note to Successor: It might be prudent to sack some Rebel provinces in the East just to be sure.

Anyway I must get back on, I have a massive collection of Screenies from the Battle of Dornsaete to sift through and decide what to include...

It was a very interesting fight.

Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ Mar. 10 2004,12:59)]In fact, Note to Successor: It might be prudent to sack some Rebel provinces in the East just to be sure.
    PRUDENCY be DAMNED I plan on taking the Viking homelands next

JUTLAND OR BUST Now if i can just remember where i left my ship . . .

I'll get crackin' tonight.

Quote[/b] ]Anyway I must get back on, I have a massive collection of Screenies from the Battle of Dornsaete to sift through and decide what to include...

It was a very interesting fight
    Looking forward to the read

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

you do know that you have no deep sea ships and can't reach them right?
    I sympathize with the feeling though as I feel like trashing their homelands myself except when I'm playing as them

Ok guys, I have whittled down the number of screenies from that battle to Eleven main ones that I wish to include

(don't ask how many I have, but it was a funny battle with some very strange deployments done by the enemy, I just had to get the basis)

In fairness to our Modem users I will not post them all in my Write-up in this thread, instead they will be presented as clickable Web Links rather than Images within the post.

I hope you can all appreciate that.

Quote[/b] ]you do know that you have no deep sea ships and can't reach them right?
    I sympathize with the feeling though as I feel like trashing their homelands myself except when I'm playing as them
    Actually when my King kicked the bucket a number of provinces were already constructing the First of our Ships... It shouldn't take too many years to get a Navy Going.

No ships, right . . . then we'll just . . . attack . . . the . . . WELSH

Wait, no, we're Welsh . . . . . . well, PRUDENCE be DAMNED anyway. SOMEone's getting trounced . . .

Maybe I should be the 'Overeager?'. Emperor, did you mean that I was to choose your King's name, or that my reign would make your King's name clear?

As the chill of fall settled over Wales, the beat of mason’s hammers and the groan of scaffolds fell silent. The clang of the blacksmith and the rumble of the carter’s wheels, the rasp of the carpenter’s lathes and the cries of the errand boys faded from the land. King Conan’s great castle of Llangurig in Pouis was complete. Across the land, men waited for word of a great feast that was to be held in honor of its majesty, but no word came. Men questioned each other, but none knew any news, and if any asked those who kept the King’s company, the subject was quickly changed. Rumor spread that the king was ill.

The deep winter that year was among the worst any could remember. The royal palace was all but abandoned in favor of the thick masonry of Llangurig, and most of the King’s men moved into the castle with him. By the eve of the New Year, the Year of Our Lord 835, the rumors had thickened into a semblance of fact. The King was dying.

Spring came mercifully early, and the thaw melted fields full of snow and turned the roads into mires of mud. But the bones of King Conan did not thaw. The bright sun struck him heaped beneath piles of furs, his bed placed in the middle of the long, low room that he had commanded to be built to resemble a great drinking hall. Fires roared in hearths at either end, but no warmth reached him. Thus Prince Cadwallon found him in his chambers.

The King’s rheumy eyes turned toward the sound of thick oak door’s scrape across the floor. “Cadwallon” he called, voice rasping yet strong.

“Father,” Cadwallon answered. He was dressed in all the finery of the Crown Prince; fur-lined cloak that slipped over the thick stones, thin crown, bright mail shirt and wide-hilted sword.

“Servants out” the King bellowed. “Cadwallon, bring that chair over. Sit.” The prince retrieved the chair while two servants quickly slipped from the room. “My son, my time is at hand. My only regret is that I could not do for you as my father did for me. I haven’t shown you battle and glory, as I was shown. I became a man on the field of battle, born from the blood of the Saxons” The King’s eyes glinted at the memory even while his head fell to the pillows from the exertion, and his breath came in short, shallow gulps. “My father, King Caradoc the First, Scourge of the Saxons.”

“But you are years into your manhood, and what have I taught you? What have I given you? Nothing but statecraft. Assassins and spies, marriages, carrying favor and worries of noble blood. And what has it brought you? A kingdom divided. My father gave me lands doubled and redoubled from what he had, and to you, all I can give is Cantware.” The King managed to lift himself to one elbow beneath the huge mound of furs, and his powerful eyes fixed Cadwallon. The Prince knew that his father was a warrior at heart, and the concerns of the kingdom had always been a responsibility, not a pleasure. The tentative peace with the Mercians had only held because of the endless shuffling of troops along the borders, while all Conan had wanted to do was march into their lands and ride down the Mercian peasants like water under a longboat’s keel.

“You know the Mercians are planning treachery, my son. But they are no longer your only enemy. Look to your uncles when I am gone. Look to your uncles, for some you must watch their example, and others . . . others, you . . .” the King’s words dissolved in a fit of coughing. He fell to the bed while he heaved, then slowly raised himself as the fit subsided. “Others, you must watch their actions. Look to Caradoc, and to Idwal. They loved me, and will love you as well. Their skill in battle is great - greater than mine - and Idwal’s head for numbers is an asset. But Iago, Cadwallon. Iago is not to be trusted. His loyalty was never great, and now is even less. And your twin brother, Howel, is easily swayed, and resents you. They two will plot for your throne. The birthright that could have been his – but for a trick of God – has been taken by you.”

Conan rested for a moment longer, then fixed his eye on Cadwallon once again. “Always remember than, Cadwallon. It could have been you who came from the womb second, clinging to the heel of your brother Howel.” Prince Cadwallon flushed darkly for a moment, but Conan’s words rolled forward like a man on horseback. “I do not say your rule is not ordained of God. Just that God can be fickle, and should be trusted no more than men.”

Conan slowly turned, his feet and bare legs emerging from the bottom of the quilts. He sat up painstakingly on the wide bed, then placed his bare feet on the sun-warmed stone floor. Cadwallon rose to his feet, but made no move to help his father lest he shame him. With aching slowness, the large frame of the once-great warrior stood from the bed, reached down, and grasped the mug of mead from the table nearby. Cadwallon reached down and grabbed the other, and raised it high as his father did also. “All hail King Cadwallon ap Conan, Lord of the Welsh”

Very nice writing, Msyterium - shame it sounds like a death story, as I'd love to hear more of the same.

The Battle of Dornsaete

War had raged between the Saxon Kingdom and the Welsh, slowly but surely the Saxons gave ground before their enemy, even abandoning their Greatest prize of West Seaxe to the enemy.

In doing so the Arm of Wales became long and it took years for enough troops to be raised by King Caradoc to face his enemies...

Finally on a day in 808AD, the fate of both Kingdoms was to hang in the Balance in one great struggle.

In some places the borders of Wales were left lightly guarded as troops poured South to face the Saxon army holed up in Dornsaet, should the army of Caradoc fall the Welsh kingdom would be completely open to attack.

King Behriric of the Saxons was a man with nothing more to lose, he had already given up most of his Kingdom to the Welsh foe, but in Dornsaet he still retained his most valued prize, a Inn frequented by Mercenaries.

Spending the last of his treasury on tropps to fight for his cause the Saxons held a large army... All their hopes lay in crushing the Welsh in one critical battle to turn the tide...

The Confrontation
    The Welsh troops arrived in Dornsaet quickly and behind a hill King Caradoc addressed his troops, his sons Conan and Caradoc beside him ready for battle with their personal guard.

Great men of Wales, by great struggle and the grace of God we have arrived at this moment, our Hated Saxon enemies lie before us.

Make no mistake they still have great manpower, well over 1,000 men. Though we have more than matched them in numbers, we must not be complacent for the Saxons are trapped with nowhere to run and like a trapped wild animal they will fight hard.

King Caradoc Turned to His sons finally to Prince Conan and Caradoc. I am counting on both of you on this day, fight as true brothers with valour

The King turned and ordered his men up the Hill as the sky began to slowly darken with rainclouds...

As Welsh banners slowly appeared at the top of the hill the Saxons gathering in the field below faltered... As King Caradoc watched he saw something very strange happen.

The Bulk of the Saxon army reeled off Left towards the Woods, while the enemy King and his Sons withdrew back and prepared to circle around towards the Welsh right.

Battle Image 1

Battle Image 2

The Welsh held their ground at the top of the Hill and watched the Saxon King as he assumed a comfortable position on hill nearby... The King Turned to his sons,

What do you make of that?

Prince Conan smiled, The man is running from us to the safety of a Hill, isolated as he is we should attack him.

Prince Caradoc cut in, While that is true, I suspect that he also WANTS us to follow him. He has made himself vulnerable at one end of the field while his men remain at the other. If we chase him we expose our rear to his army. If we split our forces neither force will be able to help the other if things go badly

King Caradoc smiled at the exchange between his sons, Your brother is correct Conan, the enemy is attempting to lure us into exposing our rear. However you are also right he is a coward in abandoning his position and his men...

Before the King finished speaking the enemy moved as the Saxon infantry emerged from the woods and advanced towards the hill their King was positioned on, however their path would cross the Welsh lines.

The Welsh repositioned themselves to face a threat from two directions, as the rain began to fall.

Battle Image 3

As the rain subsided, King Caradoc stood drew his sword, Prince Conan come with me, we charge into combat with the enemy on our Leftt flank, Prince Caradoc, take charge of our men up here

The King and his heir charged into battle on the right flank, one of the Saxon Princes advanced close to the Welsh lines, Prince Caradoc responded with a volley of arrows.

Battle Image 4

After a successful charge the Celtic Warriors engaged the Saxon infantry, Four companies of Fyrdmen hit a unit of Celts... Their lines held strong and other Welsh units moved to support.

Battle Image 5

Seeing their chance King Caradoc cried out to Prince Conan who was fighting well but had lost a number of his bodyguards. Charge with me, we hit them hard on the flank as the King and his son once again charged the enemy Prince Caradoc sent a group of Welsh horsemen to advance around behind the troops... The Charge was deadly as the Fyrdmen were hit from the flanks and rear by Cavalry and Celtic warriors.

They were surrounded on all sides.

Battle Image 6

After the loss of those troops a small rout began but the Saxons rallied and fought back again and again... Only to be defeated again.

The battle on the Left quickly turned into a massacre.

Meanwhile the Saxon King slowly moved from his hilltop position on the Right flank of the action, however his efforts were not going unnoticed and a great number of Celtic warriors stood on the hill watching his every move.

Battle Image 7

The Saxon King could not avoid combat for much longer, and when the heavens once again opened and the rain came down again, he charged into the fray with his son at his side.

Prince Caradoc entered into the fighting with his infantry, and as the rain came down and the skys roared more men led by the victorious King and his Heir came rushing in

Battle Image 8

As a rumble of thunder was heard in the distance, Welsh troops surrounded him and his son on all sides. Both fought on bravely cutting down men around, until his Son was pulled from his horse and knocked unconscious with the hilt of a sword...

Upon seeing the Capture of his son the Saxon King looked up and caught sight of his rival rushing in to claim his head.

Battle Image 9

The Saxon King lost his nerve and dug his heels into the side of his horse as he charged and hacked his way out of the great host of men who had engulfed him...

Finally he galloped away as fast as his horse could speed him. But there was nowhere else to run to.

Battle Image 10

The Welsh now had command of the open country and before long the Saxon King was hunted down and captured, along with his remaining sons who were driven from the field...

With the flight of the Saxon King the rain eased off, it was almost as if God himself was pleased by the outcome of the battle.

As skies cleared the living and the dead were counted...

Battle End Stats

The fate of the Saxons was sealed and their King and his sons endured humiliating deaths as captives, rather than a glorious end on the battlefield.

The end of Caradoc's reign

Following his final victory against the Saxons, King Caradoc crushed the rebels in Defet and Clwyd, as Prince Caradoc added Suth Seaxe to his domain with a victory against the rebels with the unexpected capture of a small Viking raiding force led by a Viking Prince...

In a most unlucky development for the captive Prince the Viking King refused to pay the ransom for his shamed son and was swiftly executed.

King Caradoc lived until the year 823AD, and with his Death his eldest son Conan, became King. Prince Caradoc was a Commander equal to his late father and remained greatly loyal to his brother.

Theirs was the bond of brotherhood strengthened by the shared experience of that great battle.

Emperor: Very nice write-up. Quite a good battle as well. Sorry I jumped the gun in the thread, should we shift things to make the narrative flow?

Mr. Appleton: Thanks. Unfortunately, Conan's reign was relatively uneventful. I only fought one battle against some bandits the whole time, and spent most of my years in intrigue instead. I'll be doing a little more for my Italy PBEM, though. After all, I sacked Constantinople, and that's not the sort of thing one can just gloss over

Quote[/b] (Mysterium @ Mar. 11 2004,21:37)]Emperor: Very nice write-up. Quite a good battle as well. Sorry I jumped the gun in the thread, should we shift things to make the narrative flow?
    There is a lot I cut out of the battle, for one thing the fighting against the main Saxon Fyrdmen near the woods was a lot longer than it appeared in the write-up.

After those four units were surrounded the enemy sent in more Fyrdmen and archers and it rapidly became a case of isolate, flank destroy... and on to the next unit.

Still I was really surprised at the strange troop movements done by the enemy, first splitting their army and then getting the greater half of it to walk right by our lines at the base of the hill

EDIT: Oops I forgot image 5 of the Four fyrdmen units charging in, that has now been added.

Well fought, as usual, Emperor. Where are we now with this campaign? I infer Katank is next in line, although I think he is still on his Sicilian PBM and recently pulled out another thread. Has he had a wake-up call?

Quote[/b] (Simon Appleton @ Mar. 11 2004,22:49)]Well fought, as usual, Emperor. Where are we now with this campaign? I infer Katank is next in line, although I think he is still on his Sicilian PBM and recently pulled out another thread. Has he had a wake-up call?
    Ok a message has been sent requesting his presence on the campaign.

Here is the list.

The_Emperor
    King Caradoc I (793 - 823) The Scourge of the Saxons

Mysterium
    King Conan I (823 - 835)

Katank
    King Cadwallon I (835 - ) The Current Welsh King

Simon Appleton

1pain1Duck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast