Thread: Darkness and Light

Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.

Default Darkness and Light

Sorry about not being around so much and not reading and commenting your stories Monk and Milady Frog and all the other denizens of the Mead Hall, but exams and school have taken up a huge amount of time. I will get round to catching up on everyones wonderful stories after my exams are over and I have 8 weeks off, and I will finally get round to finishing off chapter 1 of 'The Tales of Ateralia' but until then there's this, which is actually something I wrote for an exam practise. Well enjoy.

What divides dreams and reality, what defines the frail and thin boundaries between the real world and the dream? What divides the impossible and the possible? What divides life and death? The answer, like so many, is simple. What defines them all, is our perception of them.

The journey, the path from the light: the shining beacon, the joy, the happiness, the love and the pain and the sorrow. To the darkness. I tried to cling to the light, using it as my anchor, anchoring myself to life.

But then the pain become too much, all I had known was gone. All I had loved was but dark shadows and billowing dust, clouding the sky and twisting the light. Twisting it until what was once a beacon of joy and love became a choked, clogged pit of despair.

So in my despair I looked out onto the darkness, and what had once terrified me with its finality looked more and more like a respite, eternal nothingness. No pain, no hurt, no longing for what once was, nothing at all.

So it was that I cut my anchor away and like a leaf in the wind, twisted by the storm, I let go from the light and travelled to the darkness.

As I hung there, suspended between the light and the dark, I saw my life pass in front of my eyes, saw it all. Saw it all and with the recollection’s came tears of pain, long since locked away in the deepest recesses of my heart, tears that scorched a bitter path down my cheeks and ripped my heart in two with the ferocity of the pain.

But with the pain and aching loss tearing at my heart, something else escaped from my memories, and like an avenging angel it drove away the pain. With its coming I saw the joy, I saw the love and I felt what I had not felt for so long that my heart seemed to burst forth with the joy and exultation. The tears turned from pain to joy within an instant and sprung forth from my eyes like multitude of streams trickling down a mountainside after the rains that like the memories had brought new life to the world.

My heart one again and my soul at peace I struck forth, heading with stubborn determination towards to the darkness. Happy that after so long, all was well with the world.

As I passed through, into the blackness, it felt like ice had been inserted into my veins. My body went as rigid as steel and my brain shut down, my consciousness slipping into darkness. Then with a shock as equal as a bolt of lightning my essence separated from the frail and fragile body and stepped out into the darkness. The slowly glowing like another beacon a light was slowly growing closer and closer.

I tentatively stepped into the light and as I did my heart leapt for joy because standing there waiting for me were all my friends, all my loved ones everyone’s who’s passing had had hurt me so. The joy was indescribable, after so long with nothing but memories that filled my heart with pain and longing, I was home.

By Ben Troke, a.k.a Zelda.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Darkness and Light

Welcome back zelda! good to see you in the mead hall once again; i look forward to your comments.

I really liked your story; but i find the idea of being stuck in Grey more terrible than in Darkness. Trapped somewhere between light and dark, unable to find the differences in the two.

Still this is a good story and I liked it; and again welcome back

Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.

Default Re: Darkness and Light

WOOOOT!

(Slightly drunk! Ok very drunk. Just got back from a party after my prom! So on a slight high. )

Edit: Just woke up and feeling the effects of said party.

I will look forward to catching up with the stories around here. Although I am sure it will take a long time!
    Last edited by zelda12; 05-14-2005 at 09:39.